Ships Nostalgia banner

Piper Alpha. RIP.

8K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  wl745 
#1 ·
Just a thought for those families and friends who lost their 167 loved ones some 30 years ago today.

RIP

Geoff

#11 · (Edited)
A second cousin on my mother’s Ellington side, Aberdeen-born Derek, a former trawl skipper prior to becoming a rig fitter on the Piper Alpha oil rig, survived the explosion and resulting oil and gas fires on this day in 1988 which killed 167 men with only 61 survivors, some badly burned. The death toll included two crewmen of a rescue vessel. Derek was rescued after jumping into the sea when fire engulfed the rig.
When trying to describe the much-reported eerie sound emitted by the fire, he is supposedly quoted as likening it to the “wailing of a banshee”.

Keith

Attachments

#14 ·
I was a diver on the Piper alpha in 77, eleven years before the terrible disaster, and have some beautiful photos I took from that time. We were working from the Sedco 704, using it as a diving platform for both surface supplied and saturation diving. Our inspections show the Piper alpha already to be rusting out down below. Topside, it had frequent gas leaks, and I have a photo that I'll post that I took of one of the horizontal flarestacks on fire, melting, and falling into the sea.

#19 ·
Frank,
One question before I upload more to the gallery. I see that most of the photos there give the viewer the option of clicking for a larger photo. I see no way to give that option for my own photos. What am I overlooking or not doing properly? I posted this question below one of my photos but got no reponse. I emailed the site administrator with the question and still have received no response. A pity, because I have many photos and slides to scan and upload but will delay until I can offer them in a larger format.

Mike

#21 ·
Mike, I have just uploaded a photo "Canadian Enterprise" and there was no special option for larger photos, for me I just followed and filled in the options that are available and the make larger button is automatically there after the photo is uploaded...

Best of luck

Frank

#23 · (Edited)
Mike,

When I have taken copies from 35mm slides for instance, I use software to be able to enlarge the photo. I use one - Image resizer for windows - for the life of me I cannot remember where I got it from but believe it was from one of our members. Maybe a search on the web using the - Image resizer for windows - as your search. Mine was free and works very well and has lots of options to be able to enhance your photos.
There is a facility to do it already built in to your PC if you are using windows 10. With copied photo - go to the photo and edit/create at top. You will see three ... to the right hand side. Click there and look at the drop down - it has resize on there. Click and off you go.

Neville - Hawkey01

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.