Denmark accused Russian seamen in excess drinking, but forgot slave ships [ODIN] - Ships Nostalgia
08:06

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Denmark accused Russian seamen in excess drinking, but forgot slave ships [ODIN]

User Tag List

Old 1st October 2012, 04:10

Post Denmark accused Russian seamen in excess drinking, but forgot slave ships [ODIN]

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/pics/vb244-s.jpgInstead of accusing alcohol, the authorities of Baltic States should accuse themselves

More...
Old 1st October 2012, 07:28
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1983 - Present

There is no excuse for drinking on board! I strongly advocate total ban of alcohol on board of any ship. It works on tankers and off-shore vessels already, why not on any other cargo vessel? It is time to put an end to the fiction of regarding a ship as "second home", it is our working place and one must not drink when at work.
Old 4th October 2012, 12:48
Active: 1975 - 2008

It is our place at work, but it is also a 2nd home. I would spend, as many do, 50% of my working life on a ship, within that time is my off duty time for relaxation and sleep. To say that because you consider being on a ship is at work one shouldn't drink is nonsensical. We all do many things on a ship that we wouldn't do in a place of work ashore. Sleeping is one of them.
The days of unlimited drinking are over, and rightly so, but to have two or three beers issued per day deep sea should not lead to drunken behavior.
If alcohol is issued sensibly, at the right time, place and manner I can’t see the problem.
It really annoys me that people would trust me to be in charge of a VLCC, but not trust me to drink sensibly and ensure that others do as well.
Old 4th October 2012, 13:17
Active: 1983 - Present

I have been speaking of my experience, or rather-observations. There are fewer people who can 'drink sensibly' than otherwise. One can follow accidents' reports to see just that.
And a cargo vessel is not second home even if you can sleep there. People sleep in trenches or in prisons as well. Is it enough to call it 'second home'? I doubt it. Just following your way of argumentation; Brgds for your retirement Mr smithax.
Old 4th October 2012, 14:34
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithax View Post
It is our place at work, but it is also a 2nd home. I would spend, as many do, 50% of my working life on a ship, within that time is my off duty time for relaxation and sleep. To say that because you consider being on a ship is at work one shouldn't drink is nonsensical. We all do many things on a ship that we wouldn't do in a place of work ashore. Sleeping is one of them.
The days of unlimited drinking are over, and rightly so, but to have two or three beers issued per day deep sea should not lead to drunken behavior.
If alcohol is issued sensibly, at the right time, place and manner I can’t see the problem.
It really annoys me that people would trust me to be in charge of a VLCC, but not trust me to drink sensibly and ensure that others do as well.
In total agreement, it's our home as well a couple of beers never hurt anyone while off duty.

Ray
Old 4th October 2012, 15:16
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
When I'm signed on a ship that is my home, whatever else it might be, and I feel I should respect it as such.

When I drink I like to indulge, so I don't drink at sea. However I know some who would have a glass with a meal quite harmlessly. I could do that too, but don't because I wouldn't enjoy it.