Distress audio file - Ships Nostalgia
06:09

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Distress audio file

User Tag List

Old 27th February 2020, 21:32

My location
Distress audio file

This was on here some years ago, i believe - but it is worth a refresh. The recording of the 1983 distress of the loss of the USA? collier "Marine Electric" c/s WOOH. The r/o did not survive as she went down by the head.

On right hand side click VBR mp3.

https://archive.org/details/SsMarineElectricWoohSos

Last edited by Harry Nicholson; 27th February 2020 at 21:36..
Old 27th February 2020, 23:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Nicholson View Post
This was on here some years ago, i believe - but it is worth a refresh. The recording of the 1983 distress of the loss of the USA? collier "Marine Electric" c/s WOOH. The r/o did not survive as she went down by the head.

On right hand side click VBR mp3.

https://archive.org/details/SsMarineElectricWoohSos
Someones last words? Not very good taste I suggest!

Dannic.
Old 28th February 2020, 00:46
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1980 - 1994

Transcript_SOS_WOOH

A transcript for those who might want the Morse translated for them.

Albion "Al" Lane, the R/O who perished during the SOS had one of the most beautiful fists I've ever heard, I listened to him daily from my home near USCG Boston/NMF in Marshfield, MA. One day he'd QTO from near NMN and send his OBS there, and the next he'd send to NMF or VAU in Yarmouth, NS Canada. He always used the MCW on his transmitter, sounded very nice.

https://frumpblog.com/2018/02/16/the...-35-years-ago/

DR
N1EA
Old 28th February 2020, 00:46

Read the book of the SOS Free Online: "Until the Sea Shall Free Them: The Wreck of the SS Marine Electric.
https://frumpblog.com/2018/08/04/rea...-chapter-four/
Old 28th February 2020, 14:14

I listened again with great respect. As soon as the r/o said "VA" I knew that was the last transmission.
73, Andrew
Old 28th February 2020, 15:37

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by djringjr View Post
Read the book of the SOS Free Online: "Until the Sea Shall Free Them: The Wreck of the SS Marine Electric.
https://frumpblog.com/2018/08/04/rea...-chapter-four/
Thank you for the gift. I'll be honoured to read it.
Old 29th February 2020, 13:00

My location
Harry, thanks for posting. I have the book and it is a salutory tale of Robert Frump's survival and his fight for justice. That said, there is still some way to go, judging by the 2015 story of the sinking of the American cargo ship El Faro as told in Into The Raging Sea by Rachel Slade.

gwzm
Old 1st March 2020, 08:06
Active: 1980 - 1991

This whole tragedy does not reflect well on the USCG ship inspection service and the ABS Class society....to put it mildly....
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:13

If that is/was USCG standard distress procedure of the time have to say was unimpressed.
Perhaps my interpretation is incorrect thata whole hour went by and not a single NMN dot or dash of USCG search and rescue encouragement to a very proficient and super-cool WOOH RO and crew.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:46

Yes, hopeless.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:47

The bravery and dedication of the helicopter and boat crews of the USCG is never in doubt, but the high level coordination often leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 5th March 2020, 23:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
If that is/was USCG standard distress procedure of the time have to say was unimpressed.
Perhaps my interpretation is incorrect thata whole hour went by and not a single NMN dot or dash of USCG search and rescue encouragement to a very proficient and super-cool WOOH RO and crew.
WOOH (MARINE ELECTRIC) was answered immediately by USCG COMMSTA Boston/NMF. Sometimes - and this seemed to be one of them - conditions from offshore Virginia to Boston were better than from offshore Virginia to Portsmouth, VA where NMN was located. I was stumped by this also but sometimes during the day VAU Yarmouth, NS would come barrelling in, other times you wouldn't hear them at all. USCG Boston, NMF had receivers at Marshfield, MA and on Governor's Island, Manhattan, New York City. NMF transmitter was near the Cape Cod canal.

Here is a transcript that I made of the recording, errors please post to this list. I did it many years ago.

https://ia800605.us.archive.org/13/items/SsMarineElectricWoohSos/Transcript_SOS_WOOH.txt

As pointed out the recording is here:
https://ia800605.us.archive.org/13/i...ectric_SOS.mp3

Snoop around on the left for more files, I haven't made links for all the files and when I got the USCG video it displaced the SOS recording.

I believe I now have ALL the links in the description, I added links to the photo of WOOH and links to the transcript.

Last edited by djringjr; 6th March 2020 at 01:55..
Old 6th March 2020, 13:15
Active: 1979 - Present

There but for the grace of God....
Old 8th March 2020, 06:19
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 2004 - Present

i listened to the audio and all it was, was dits and dah the whole time i thought they would would have started transmitting by vioce after they got hold of someone else

Tony.
Old 8th March 2020, 14:12
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Although the bandwidth is much greater with a terrestrial voice circuit the intelligence transferred is very prone to error caused by interference. If you wanted to be rescued pre GMDSS/Satcom better rely on morse.
Old 8th March 2020, 21:48

Tony, can I add to what Varley said. Deep sea distress working was by telegraphy on 500 kHz in those days, with a coverage of hundreds, even a thousand + miles. Voice might have been used on VHF when within the last 30 miles, but the ships never got that close. Telegraphy has the advantage of being precise in sending and receiving letters and numbers while the messages were understood no matter what the native language of the mariner.

We can copy Morse from signal levels far too weak to understand voice and the signal to noise ratios on those recordings would never have let each station communicate by voice. I'm very pleased I went to sea in those days. It was all voice on the Great Lakes but even then it could get difficult
73, Andrew