Reina Del Mar - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
21:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Reina Del Mar

User Tag List

Old 9th May 2019, 05:21
Keith Adams
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1951 - 2011

My location
Way back, member sparkle2182 asked why have a passenger liner service between UK and Chile ?
Hard to believe nowadays but international jet airline service was still in its infancy even in the mid 1950's, but managed to kill off all regular international passenger service by sea in less than 10 years ...general cargo went the same way soon after with containerization.
In 1951 I began a seagoing carreer I had dreamed of, thinking it would last a lifetime, only to see ship jammed ports and rivers, and hardly a day at sea without a ship sighting, vanish in 20 years. In recent years, serving on container ships, made all Pacific crossings without sighting another vessel almost until landfall ... really don't know what to say at this point ... Snowy.
Old 9th May 2019, 06:01
Keith Adams
Active: 1951 - 2011

My location
Dog House Bar ( early 1950's ) had a rum drink called "A Zombie" which was free if one could knock it back in one go and a Certificate called "Hair of the dog". The tape measure ( a 12 inch long paper strip ) I recalled starting off with "Just a waterspout, should have been a girl". Others were "Maiden's delight", "For large girls and small cattle" and I think the last was "For barroom betting only". The Dos Hermanos in Havana was hard to pass up as was the Star Bar in Callao and in Valparaiso, the Zepplin ? either that or a like German name. Once when in Callao, we received a sunami warning and the entire Peruvian Navy put out to sea and most civilians left for Lima area. The port went dead so we all went ashore to the Star Bar and the ladies stayed as they figured we knew better. In hindsight we made a foolish decision as had we known how catastrophic recent sunami events have been, we definitely would have put to sea. As it was we just had what we used to call a "Surf Day "
and as a Cadet and not allowed to drink ... did our usual bar tending which was simply opening bottles of beer and collecting soles ... occasionally nudging awake one of the girls resting under the bar to get ready when another crew member with money walked in. Must not frequent taverns, ale houses or houses of ill repute ... a line in our indentures ! Snowy
Old 9th May 2019, 07:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Adams View Post
Way back, member sparkle2182 asked why have a passenger liner service between UK and Chile ?

Passengers were not important. It was the MAILS.

The REINA DEL MAR was the replacement for the aging REINA DEL PACIFICO. The 'MAR' was only seven years on the PSNC run. By 1963 the liner service was not viable and the ship was chartered to and went to Union Castle. PSNC continued until the mid 1980s and by then even their cargo fleet had disappeared. Why they did not stay and continue with containers? Probably bad management and probably some due to EU too.
Old 9th May 2019, 11:16

reina del mar to the breakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
REINA DEL MAR
O.N. 187132. 20,263g. 11,214n. 600' 9" x 78' 4" x 30' 1"
Six steam turbines made by the shipbuilder, driving twin propeller shafts. 17,000 SHP. 18kts.
5.6.1955: Launched by Harland & Wolff Ltd., Belfast (Yard No. 1533) for Pacific Steam Navigation Company Ltd., Liverpool. 8.4.1956: Completed. 1964: Chartered to Travel Saving Association (Union-Castle; Canadian Pacific; Royal Mail and Max Wilson all being participants). (Union-Castle Mail Steam Ship Company Ltd. / Cayzer, Irvine & Company Ltd., appointed as managers). 6.1964: Charterers acquired 100% by Union-Castle Mail Steam Ship Company Ltd. 1969: Transferred to Royal Mail Lines Ltd., (same managers) and charter extended for a further five years. 10.1973: Sold to Union-Castle Mail Steam Ship Company Ltd., (Cayzer, Irvine & Company Ltd., managers). 5.1975: Transferred to Travel Savings Ltd., (same managers). 1975: Sold to / through Mitsui & Company Ltd., Japan, for demolition in Taiwan. 30.7.1975: Arrived at Kaohsiung for demolition by Tung Cheng Steel Manufacturing Company. 10.12.1975: Work commenced.
interestingly - i have these images on file of the reina del mar - the first two i believe are just before she went to the breakers however not sure were the 2 images were taken - the 3rd is of her in cape town - again on her way to the breakers - and the final one shows her berthed again at capetown with the pendennis castle - the last one is quite striking as one normally perceives her to have been quite large - but against the pendennis castle - she seems quite small - cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reina Del Mar to mthe breakers (1).jpg (94.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Reina Del Mar to mthe breakers (2).jpg (59.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg reina del mar final voyage.jpg (172.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg reina del mar pendennis castle.jpg (35.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 14th June 2019, 10:29
Active: 1955 - 1997

Reina Del Mar

Just some pictures I found in my files that might be of some interest
Two Reina's in Callao
Panama Canal
Caracas Bay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reinas.jpg (20.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Reina Panam Canal.jpg (66.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Caracas Bay Refueling Station Curacao .jpg (57.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 14th June 2019, 14:01

Reina del Mar...Crossing the line 1959
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181201_0005.jpg (193.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181201_0002.jpg (148.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Foca; 14th June 2019 at 19:44..
Old 14th June 2019, 15:59

reina del mar - before and after

thank you for that - that was prior to her union castle days
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reina del mar - before and after.jpg (62.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 14th June 2019, 19:39

Quite right......I only sailed on her for 7 months to finish my sea time for 2nd Mates, will never forget the ship and the good times I had onboard.
Old 15th June 2019, 14:45
Active: 1953 - 1987

Emails between old shipmates
“Now I sure do remember John Auld, I cannot recall anyone ever saying a bad word about him, I am afraid the same cannot be said for me. Any Mariner who had the privilege to know, better still, to have sailed with him knew he was one of the very best, the ultimate shipmate to have on any voyage bound for foreign parts. He was such good company, both socially and professionally competent.”

If I remember, his first trip was on the Kenuta in about January 1954, he’d later sailed on the ‘Mar’ (Reina Del Mar, not the Pacifico) as a cadet. The chief officer was Jim Bruce, now in a shore job, happily married and living in Quebec City. Jim had invited me to lunch, suggesting I bring any off-duty officers along. What a shock our hosts got when they recognised John from those earlier years on the ‘Mar’. Anyhow, we had a brilliant afternoon.

Apparently back then, just before Fidel Castro took over Cuba, John was a cadet on the final leg of the trip from Havana to Cadiz. Not only had some younger female members of the returning National French Ballet been charmed by his winsome way, but more than one older chaperone and a first trip female purser/writer. (Not many young ladies crewing merchant ships in those days.). One of these ladies in her disappointment complained to the Chief Officer. He decided John’s success/popularity with the ladies was getting out of hand and could affect his own chances with the first tripper, who later became his wife.
He was in a position to have John transferred to a cargo ship, and did so.