Ships Nostalgia banner

BOT Lime Juice - merged threads

17K views 62 replies 44 participants last post by  Old Janner 
#1 ·
Lime Juice, Salt tablets, and of course, Paladrin

Who remembers the daily ritual of lime juice, salt tablets ( for the workers) and , was it, Paladrin - anti Malaria tabs?

Some thought the lime juice was to stop you feeling randy!!

#39 ·
Dreadnoughts! (If they are what I think they were) Now there's a blast from the past! I loved the instructions, which were hilarious, but the nozzle bit was the part where it separated the men from the boys. To squeeze or not to squeeze and take the risk? That was the question!

Paludrine was horrible if tasted, crunched one once by mistake! My old Man/Ma took it for years in West Africa and he reckons it made him and my mother temporarily sterile, so when sister came along 11 years after me he reckoned it was the paludrine wearing off finally. A likely story!

Heres to salt tablets, paludrine, lime juice, dreadnoughts, black draught and BOT condoms with the SWL stamped on them (joking).

(Pint)

#45 ·
Roses Lime juice, issued to all in BF ships once the ship cleared Suez outbound, as were salt tablets.
The lime juice was supposed to be very good for cleaning brass, but I can confirm from personal experience, that it was absolutely useless.
Pat(Thumb)

#47 · (Edited)
Used undiluted it was good for scrubbing/cleaning pantry bread-boards. Never heard of it cleaning brass though. Had a second steward that swore by it as a shampoo. He was a bit of a nutter though, went adrift in Kharg Island. I personally hated the stuff, I stuck with Rose's Lime Juice. Still do.

EDIT::: Simulpost Ray (Burned Toast)

#51 ·
I always steered clear of the salt tablets - The company doc recommended additional salt sprinkled on food if one felt the need. I used to recommend fruit with a squeeze of lemon and a light sprinkling of salt, the Mexican way (try it sometime, its very refreshing!). We had a can of lifeboat lemon juice powder - We used to make it up to take to Rugby matches. Without sugar it was quite foul and didn't do your tooth enamel much good!
Rgds.
Dave

#52 ·
Gin and Lime

I blame an old PCO Alec Bannerman for my downfall,he showed me a drink that on an un-air conditioned Clan boat was a killer.Tall glass,large lump of ice,enormous gin,lime juice filled to the top with chiiled water.Drink until you`ve had enough,fall over repeat next day.

#53 ·
Another variation with lime juice and gin…

I blame an old PCO Alec Bannerman for my downfall,he showed me a drink that on an un-air conditioned Clan boat was a killer.Tall glass,large lump of ice,enormous gin,lime juice filled to the top with chiiled water.Drink until you`ve had enough,fall over repeat next day.
Anyone remember a Clan Line/UC PCO called Noel Proctor - he introduced me to Gin, Roses Lime, ice and water - his variation was to leave out the Roses! Thank goodness we had Tanqueray Gin!
I can also remember something about him and playing Flight Deck games… can anyone remember anything more about that?

#54 ·
I remember well our 1100 lime juice during my Ellerman days. The most precious part was the ice "chippings". As Apprentices seems we got just the scraps. In addition to daily salt tablets many times at night work in the Gulf it was not unknown to take a hand full of salt from a box in the galley and lick that. I wonder what the Doctors would have to say these days?

#57 ·
The word is antiscorbutic.

The medical name for scurvy is scorbutus. - deficiency of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).

Lime juice was adopted by the Admiralty originally, not because it was better that other citrus fruits but because it was cheaper; Being grown in British Colonies and not imported from potential enemies.

#58 ·
Previously mentioned dreadnoughts,do you mean those kits with the rough rectangles of cloth impregnated with some disinfectant and the small tube of oint ment you jammed up your Japs eye?After a meeting in Takoradi with some fragrant young thing with a haircut like a handgrenade,I visited Harry the Chief Steward to obtain such a kit.He reared up like a man posessed and threw me 3 or 4 saying`If you like the Mammies I`d better get you a few`a man of great tact,diplomacy and style.It certainly encouraged me to seek him out when in need.

#63 ·
BOT Lime juice was that exactly, part of the BOT stocks to be held on Foreign going British Flag vessels.
Alongside the wooden pickle barrel, Pickling salt, Ice cream salt, all the items written into the Ships articles for display in the mess room.
Also daily rashioning scales "if you were put on "your Whack"
Normally under the control of the Chief Steward, not always kept in the Bond due to lack of space.
'Limer's' if diluted correctly and chilled was a great drink, but it did kill the Gin!
Was also used for Bleaching wooden cutting boards

Spence. OJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.