Saxon Star /Redbrook /E.Evangelia - Ships Nostalgia
06:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Saxon Star /Redbrook /E.Evangelia

User Tag List

Old 13th January 2020, 12:42

Saxon Star /Redbrook /E.Evangelia

Hello, I am a diver enthusiast and I am interested in knowing the truth about the beaching of Saxon Star / E.Evangelia on Black Sea in October 1968 . The local story is that it was grounded on purpose because it was old and got problems ( I have seen here that one of the problems was "Did the same trip same ship from Aug.55-Jan.56. Crossed the bar in L'pool and the engines went on fire" ) . Did the Greeks get the insurance? Thank you for your help.
Old 13th January 2020, 13:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1956 - 1970

The only thing I have ever seen is that she was wrecked in the Black Sea while on passage in ballast from Rijeka to Constanza,on October 19th 1968.
Old 13th January 2020, 13:10

I know, I dive there.
https://web.facebook.com/epavaevangh...type=3&theater
Old 13th January 2020, 19:18

Actually the grounding was on the night of 14 to 15 October 1968. The story is kinda shady. First it was no storm, I have checked with the weather agency. It was fog as usual for that time. The only story "oficially" recorded is like this: On that night the ship send an SOS and gives a wrong location about 30 miles north. From my understanding the ship was drifting presumably with no power. The story has no mention about the nature of distress. The search take a lot of time and late in the morning the salvage vessel found the ship grounded near Costinesti a small fishing village. The first question is here: Romania at that time was under commie rule and the shore was heavily guarded and the closest ranger unit was less than a mile. Saxon Star is a big ship and is grounded at about 600 feet from shore. I doubt the rangers miss that. The sailors probably sound the horn or shoot flares. Anyhow the story goes on and say that the salvage ship launch a tow row and order the ship to drop anchors and purge the ballast water to refloat the boat. After some hours the Wreck was "practically " floating and saved. Now it get tricky: The salvage ship leaves and the ship is left there. Normally to collect the prize I believe that the ship should have been towed to port or at least anchored safely. Next day the salvage ship comes back and finds that the ship was grounded again and when they check with a diver they found that the propeller is damaged. I dived many times there and I know that the ship propeller is intact. I have video if you want to check. So clearly is a lie The romanian captain decide to leave the greek sailors be and the ship there and refuse some bribe from the greek captain. This again is strange. The romanian captain is at the orders of romanian admiralty and in true at the Romanian authority who in the end are in need of some bucks. The story is written by the nephew of the said captain who have only praise for him. I dig a little about him and found out that he was an illiterate drunk but with good relations in the communist party and probably worked for the Romanian secret police. I wasn't able to find anything about the greek company who owned Evangelia at that time. It is reasonable to think that they decided that the ship was not worth saving and simply left her there. How much the insurance was for a ship like that. If the ship was without power would the navigational system worked? How long the chain of the anchors are? Why they have a spare anchor on board? how much it weigh? Do you know it the ship had a problem on the starboard side ? The first plates to go were there. Sorry for the many questions but I am searching for years for answers.
Old 13th January 2020, 20:16

I am sorry I cant help you. My interest is that I sailed on her in 1957, and have followed her subsequent history.
Old 13th January 2020, 20:56

Don't worry , not the first dead end.
Old 13th January 2020, 21:37

Well at least you provided me with some details of her demise which I was not aware of,thank you.
Old 13th January 2020, 22:30

Unfortunately I don't believe the official story. My story based on the facts is that the ship lost the engine and drifted to the shore were the hull got pierced by the rocks. The second storage compartment got full of water and the salvage team deemed her NWS. No fraud conspiracy, no Onassis ship, no oranges on the beach. I am trying to find the anchors or at least one to prove that the crew dropped anchors in the last attempt to save the ship. In one picture one can see that both chain anchors are laid to the starboard of the ship. From my knowledge a single screw ship is unable to drift with the rudder at zero. The drift is only possible by the wind and waves as The Black Sea have no tide.
Old 17th January 2020, 02:32

I visited the R/O on the Sydney Star in the Port of Bluff in 1961. He regaled me with stories about the Saxon Star which had been laid up in South Wales for some time and then embarked on a trip to NZ. Apparently it took her 55 days UK/NZ she broke down every day, ran out of fresh water (and grog) in mid Pacific. How Blue Star managed to find a crew for her was one of the miracles of the year.
Old 18th January 2020, 08:44

My point also. The ship broke often so maybe the grounding was just an accident due to engine problem and total lost of power.