Catapult - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
20:35

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Catapult

User Tag List

Old 16th April 2012, 10:53
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - 2009

Hi the Cockchaffer was designed and built as a general store carrier, the ones designed as ammo boats where Gnat, Bee and Ladybird. I found them to be one of the best seaboats I ever served in, plus great shiphandling boats. For details about the older Nav boats they are all mentioned with details inThe Royal Naval Armament Depots of Priddy's Hard. Elso, Frater and Bedenham (Gosport, Hampshire) 1768 to 1977, by H. W. Semark . ISBN 1 85975 1326, to buy from the Explosion Musem, Gosport 24.95. In the Gatling class was also Maxim,Enfield, Snider and Nordenfelt. One of them had a incident in the Firth of Forth dumping ammo, a box of shells hit her side by the engineroom and blew a hole in her. She was saved as then the Stokers kept thier pas hour mattress's in the boiler room, the duty stoker being ex wartime navy , pressed a mattress into the hole and jammed a bucket between it and the boiler. Lenny Williams was the master at the time , he said he got a face full of wooden splinters as the wooden bridge wing bulwark dissappeared along with his hat. She went back to Rosyth for an immediate emergency docking, it also lead to new dumping regs, 1, the boxs had to be drilled with holes and 2, a dumping schute had to be used at all times. I was told this story at a management course by Lenny when he gave his stand up in front talk. The Nav at the time was a Rosyth manned.

Last edited by nodes; 16th April 2012 at 11:02.. Reason: spelling
Old 16th April 2012, 19:58
Organisation: Tugs
Active: 1987 - Present

My location
cicala done stores and ammo in the late 80s early 90s.lenny williams was nicknamed beano when he was shipping master at rosyth.his grandson also worked for rmas from about 2000 til rosyth got the shaft.(still sticks in my throat that decision)
Old 16th April 2012, 22:39

My location
the enfield was at rosyth did a couple of trips on her we went through the caledonian canal to the clyde and derry late 60s jimmy mair as skipper . there was a bosun bobby masterton lost overboard at the may island when he got hit by a warhead that knocked him into the water his body was found years later.
Old 19th April 2012, 00:27

My location
was that on cicala alec?early 90s? if so , it was a dummy mine that hit him.i done the previous job down the river but was replaced by lennys grandson by the time the next one came round.
Old 19th April 2012, 10:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1977 - Present

Roo, we must have been together on that 1st mine lay: I recall the RN boys in high spirits and asking for their breakfast whilst alongside. A beautiful day but with East wind, I wasn't keen on sailing and told them so - we were just through the bridges when they saw their meal for the second time that day!

Off May Is we'd got 4 mines down but the seas were such that it was just too dangerous and I aborted. The 5th mine was as likely to have gone back in the hold as over the side and one of the retaining hooks on the hatch lids had snapped clean through. Memory get a bit hazy after that but think we discharged the mines on to Goosander and her crew laid them (maybe over the apron).

The incident with Bobby came later but before 90's I'm pretty sure.
Old 19th April 2012, 18:38

My location
thats right.we did offload them to the goosy and they were laid off the stbd side by means of a toggled wire main.that river can turn the saltiest of sea-dogs green in an easterly.it gets very lumpy.was trying to find out the date bobby was lost today but no-one can pin it down to a specific year.must have been after 89 as i was away on salmaster when we got told about it.cheers.ROO
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:12
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 2011

The incident where Bobby MasMasters was lost over the side was indeed the 90's but his body has never been found. The skipper on that day was Davey Dickson who had been made up to MSO 1V (D) on a temporary basis. He nearly lost everything after that day, neither the crews union nor the Officers union would help him and he had a heart attack due to the strain. He stood to loose his house and everything, but I know he eventually got through it all as I met him at a wedding. Whilst up at the bar, he came up next to me where I said heavens above Davey I heard you had kicked the bucket, his reply not doing so bad for being deed. But he told me the whole sad story and it goes to show its better to get the facts from the horses mouth.
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:18
Active: 1966 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofaerosyth View Post
thats right.we did offload them to the goosy and they were laid off the stbd side by means of a toggled wire main.that river can turn the saltiest of sea-dogs green in an easterly.it gets very lumpy.was trying to find out the date bobby was lost today but no-one can pin it down to a specific year.must have been after 89 as i was away on salmaster when we got told about it.cheers.ROO
At the time I was ASM and Cass Cooper was the 'radio' man while Harold was on leave. I haven't got all my record books with me (in store) but it must have been between 1989 and 1991.
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:02

My location
sorry it was mcmasters and his body was found near north berwick in the 2000s
bobby relieved me in singapore on the advice when i had to come home because of my wifes illness
Old 23rd May 2012, 00:02
Organisation: Port Authorities
Active: 1969 - 2011

Hi Senior Pilot

Sorry about my last but I really never heard that they had found Bobbies Body.

Bev
Old 29th May 2012, 21:12
Active: 1968 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD STRAWBERRY View Post
Stevo' When i joined Portland in 1973 we had "Bowstring" laid-up in the harbour. It was strategically put at Portland so as to get one of the new Insect Class 100ft Fleet Tenders "Cockchafer" being built around that time which we did. taken away after though. I did have occaision to go aboard it. An ungainly looking vessel with a longish hatch with hatch boards, it may have had two hatches actually. A huge wooden derrick facing aft plumbing both hatches. After accomodation with a wooden wheelhouse and a massive wheel in wheelhouse. Pretty much all I can remember really. I was lucky enough to be In PAS Cockchafer for five years though.
The Cockchaffer is still alive and well, for those of you intrested! She is now called the Fyne spirit and has been converted for a golfing holiday cruiser! I kid you not Do an internet search if you don't believe me. The reason I know, is that I was involved at the first stages of the conversion as I was the engineer on the Cicala, that towed the Cockchaffer down from Glasgow to Liverpool and started "gutting" the accomodation prior to it's conversion! I didn't stay long as the owner of the Cicala was what you could loosely term as a "wide Boy" wasn't very good at paying my wages! I must add he has nothing to do with the owners of the fyne spirit! There was another insect class tender in Liverpool at the same time, called the Scan Scarab. The last I heard of the Cicala, was that she had been arrested somewhere in Scandanavia for License Violations, Doesn't surprise me
Old 29th May 2012, 22:51

My location
hi steve .was that with the guy who had plans to salvage metal from a wreck using cicala ? an ex rmas guy i know had the chance to get involved with that venture but chose to stay local instead.

Last edited by roofaerosyth; 29th May 2012 at 23:26..
Old 29th May 2012, 23:38
Active: 1968 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofaerosyth View Post
hi steve .was that with the guy who had plans to salvage metal from a wreck using cicala ? an ex rmas guy i know had the chance to get involved with that venture but chose to stay local instead.
Hi The guy that owned the Cicala came from Manchester, He was using the cicala as a diving tender and planned to charter it out as such. I 've heard stories since that this ended in dismal failure, again no surprise! he had big plans to buy the scan scarab too! Think the guy you know made a wise choice!
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:00

Stevo, if you look in the book The Royal Navy at Rosyth 1900 - 2000 by Martin Rogers, on page 100 there is an image taken in July 1978 of Eastbourne with Duncan outboard and Catapult outboard of her. hope this helps.
Old 4th June 2012, 14:55
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1989 - 2001

Thanks for that Dave, will take a look at it.
Old 5th June 2012, 18:29
Department: Navigation
Active: 1975 - Present

Cockchafer - Fyne Spirit - now the POLARIS 1, registered in Marseille - good photographs and information on her new life an an expedition ship, on blueplanetexpeditions.co.uk
Old 8th June 2012, 18:54

My location
in the pas/rmas gallery there is a picture of the mortar a good side on shot