50th anniversary of the Six-Day War – Suez Canal ships reunion - Ships Nostalgia
04:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

50th anniversary of the Six-Day War – Suez Canal ships reunion

User Tag List

Old 28th February 2017, 08:33

50th anniversary of the Six-Day War – Suez Canal ships reunion

Dear Port Line seafarers

I am writing a short book about the experiences of seafarers who worked on the ships in the Great Bitter Lake from 1967 to 1975. I aim to publish it on the 50th anniversary of the Six-Day War in June 2017.

I am also co-organising a reunion of former seafarers who were on the stranded ships to celebrate the anniversary. The anniversary event will be at the Merseyside Maritime Museum from 2 till 5pm on 1 June 2017. As it is the 50th anniversary of the war, we hope to get some media coverage for the event. The museum curators are also very interested to hear about the experiences of seafarers who were on the stranded ships.

Were you on the Port Invercargill in the Suez Canal between 1967 and 1975? Would you be interested in attending this event? If so, I'll pass on your email address to Ben Whittaker, the museum curator who is organising it with me, and you will receive an official invite in due course.

I very much hope that you will consider attending and look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you very much
Old 3rd April 2017, 21:24

Hi Cath, My father Harry Hinton who was a chief chef who sad to say is no longer with us today. He went out to crew the ship for about a month when it was block-aided in the Suez, I can recall the stories he told me about missiles going over the top from one side to the other and chippies making sailing boats and organizing races. My father was awarded the BEM medal not long after as he served in the Merchant Navy for more than 50 years, Regard Thomas Hinton
Old 29th May 2017, 09:53

Thanks for the reply Thomas - sorry for the delay. The sailing boats were such an important feature of life on the Great Bitter Lake that I'm not surprised your father had such strong memories of them.

I'm very much looking forward to the reunion on 1 June at the Merseyside Maritime Museum in Liverpool - we have up to 90 people attending, several of whom were on the Port Invercargill in the Great Bitter Lake.
Old 3rd July 2017, 10:40

'Stranded in the Six-Day War' book and reunion event

On 1 June, the 50th anniversary reunion of the seafarers who were on the stranded ships in the Suez Canal from 1967 to 1975 was held at the Merseyside Maritime Museum, Liverpool Around 100 people attended the event it was a very memorable occasion. An article about the reunion is in the July edition of Nautilus Telegraph (see attached).

There were many former seafarers from the Port Invercargill there.

At the event, I launched my book about the trapped ships, ‘Stranded in the Six-Day War’.

I hope it will prove of value to those were in the Great Bitter Lake and others familiar with the story, and will also help to inform a new audience about this unusual and important episode in maritime history.

If you would like to buy a copy of this title, please go to my website: www.cathsenker.co.uk

Alternatively, (UK only) please send a cheque for the amount payable to Ms C R Senker and your name and postal address to:
Cath Senker
4th Floor
60 Lansdowne Place
Hove BN3 1FG

UK price including P&P: £14.50

Thank you very much for your interest.

Cath Senker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nautilus July 2017.jpg (190.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 3rd July 2017, 14:30
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
Just ordered a copy of your book. I look forward to reading it. I got through the canal a week or so earlier on the M/V Port Macquarie as Third Navigating Officer. Have only recently returned to Suez where I transited the canal carrying out Navigational Assessments on a number of VLCC's. That brought back a lot of memories. I'm sure your book will do likewise.
Chris Allport
Old 3rd July 2017, 15:40

Dear Chris

It must have been strange returning to the Suez Canal after all those years. I worked in the Middle East myself 30 years ago and would be interested to visit again one day.

Thank you very much for ordering a copy of my book. I very much hope you enjoy it and that it brings back memories.

Cath
Old 12th July 2017, 11:25

Suez Canal seafarers on the BBC One Show

Tonight, the BBC One Show is due to broadcast a short film about the unusual story of the seafarers who were stranded in the middle of the war zone during the Six-Day War. The ships included the Port Line vessel Port Invercargill.

The BBC filmed at the 50th anniversary reunion event at the Merseyside Maritime Museum on 1 June.

Report of the event and photos:
http://www.cathsenker.co.uk/50th-ann...he-suez-canal/
Old 20th July 2017, 10:08

Here's the link for the BBC One Show programme: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08x00vq
Old 25th August 2017, 09:17

In this month’s Nautilus Telegraph, there’s an article by Peter Gasson, one of the seafarers trapped in the Suez Canal in June 1967 (page 30) and a review of my book ‘Stranded in the Six-Day War’ (page 33).

August edition here: https://nautilusint.org/en/what-we-say/telegraph/

I’ve had positive feedback from readers of my book and a few have pointed out small corrections I needed to make.

I’ve now printed a revised edition.

If you’re interested in the book, please visit my website www.cathsenker.co.uk

Thank you very much.

Cath Senker
Old 26th September 2017, 16:07

New edition of 'Stranded in the Six-Day War'

Dear Port Line seafarers

I have recently printed a new edition of ‘Stranded in the Six-Day War’, including a few revisions pointed out to me by readers.

The book is about the experiences of the seafarers on board the 14 merchant ships trapped in the Suez Canal between 1967 and 1975, including the Port Line vessel Port Invercargill. You can read the book blurb here: http://amzn.to/2wPqXjk

It has been well received and has had some excellent reviews, including this one on Amazon by Jeremy Bowen, BBC Middle East Editor and author of Six Days: How the 1967 War Shaped the Middle East:

‘This is a brilliantly researched and written account of an almost forgotten incident in the 1967 Middle East war. It’s full of tasty nuggets of detail. The war stranded ships that were passing through the Suez Canal, and created a unique community of marooned seafarers. Recommended.’ Jeremy Bowen, August 2017

If you’d like to buy it, please send a cheque for £14.50 incl. P&P (UK only) with your postal address to:
Cath Senker
4th Floor
60 Lansdowne Place
Hove
BN3 1FG

Alternatively, you can buy it using your debit card or PayPal on my website www.cathsenker.co.uk

Please give me your full name and postal address.
If you are buying from outside the UK, please select the correct option, Europe or World.

Thank you very much in anticipation.

Best wishes

Cath Senker
Old 25th October 2017, 11:48

New blog - photos from the Great Bitter Lake

David Kemp was master of the Port Invercargill from March 1968. Recently, David sent me an album of images of life on board the Port Line ship, the Port Invercargill.

I've started a blog series with the photos and extracts from my book, Stranded in the Six-Day War. The first one is here:

https://cathsenker.co.uk/sailing-on-...t-bitter-lake/
Old 17th November 2017, 15:28

Hello all

Here is an extract from 'Stranded in the Six-Day War' with unpublished photos generously shared by David Kemp, who was master of the Port Invercargill from March 1968. http://bit.ly/2zOxqZV

I hope they are of interest.

Cath
Old 11th November 2019, 10:08

Here is a great podcast about the stranded ships from the USA with some fantastic stamp photos. 99% invisible