engineroom telegraph - Ships Nostalgia
23:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

engineroom telegraph

User Tag List

Old 28th July 2014, 18:25

engineroom telegraph

Hello All.
ship (a) Three island Tramp built 1925, has navigation bridge wheelhouse & compass platform (monkey island) in the wheelhouse is a binnacle-wheel-engine room telegraph, with a docking telegraph on either wing of the flying bridge.

ship(b) Three island Tramp built in 1927, has open bridge ie: no wheelhouse, on the bridge is a binnacle & wheel no engine room telegraph, she also has a docking telegraph on either wing of the flying bridge.
my question is where is the engine room telegraph situated, and how would the o.o.w. or helmsman communicate with the engine room in an emergency.
Regards, Gretaston.

Last edited by gretaston; 28th July 2014 at 18:30..
Old 28th July 2014, 20:23

A ship with a docking telegraph on either wing of the flying bridge is unlikely, surely, to be without an engine-room telegraph at all?

A closer look, perhaps, might show more?
Old 29th July 2014, 11:49

The method of communication was voice pipes to the Engineroom and the Wheelhouse which is below the Navigation Bridge, when it come's to ship b as Barrie has suggested have a closer look. It is not unusual for the Navigation Bridge not to have either Helm or Engineroom Telegraph, certainly on Warships, on the much loved 'Tons'? the orders were communicated from the Navigation Bridge via a voice pipe to the Wheelhouse below which contained the Helm and the Telegraphs, on the larger Warships the Helmsman was in a compartment way down below.
Old Merchant vessel wise it is difficult to say but I would suggest that there was another Helm and the Telegraphs the Deck below what you call the Flying Bridge.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 30th July 2014, 15:33

engine room telegraph

Hello, thank you both for your replies, and except my apologies as it is me that have got it totally wrong, I thought the structure on the lower bridge was the captains quarters, am I right in thinking that it is the wheelhouse & chart room with the captains & maybe the radio officers, quarters at the rear, as I am building a model of TUNISIA 1927-1941 I am happy enough with the general arrangements, but unsure of the layout of the open bridge.
in addition to the photo of TUNISIA & sister ship MARSA I have included a photo of a similar ships bridge layout that I will build if what I have stated above is correct.
Regards,
Gretaston.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo-0033.jpg (58.5 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg ss_marsa_1928.jpg (68.3 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg tunisia.jpg (60.6 KB, 123 views)
Old 30th July 2014, 17:41

Here are the plans of a similar ship IRISH PLANE.
The deck below the flying bridge is the wheel house and chart room.Below the Capt.cabin is strb.corner.Hope this helps.
IP.JPG
Old 30th July 2014, 17:45

Looking at the photograph of the vessel I would say that is the wheelhouse with Cabin(s) to the rear

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 6th August 2014, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.FROST View Post
Here are the plans of a similar ship IRISH PLANE.
The deck below the flying bridge is the wheel house and chart room.Below the Capt.cabin is strb.corner.Hope this helps.
Attachment 58522
Thank you for the plans,they have enabled me to make some alterations to my own drawings of the general arrangements.
Regards,
Gretaston.
Old 11th October 2016, 16:00

Tunisia.

Hello All,
I have finished a model of Tunisia and put a few photos on the gallery, I built this ship to the memory of my fathers brother who along with 27 of his shipmates were lost on the 04 august 1941 when Tunisia having some sort of mechanical failure had to drop out of convoy SL.81 freetown-liverpool, whereupon she was located, bombed and sunk by a long range focke wulf 200 condor about 250 miles west of Ireland.

Built 1927 . J.REDHEAD & SONS LTD. yard no, 483.
Owner, LA TUNISIEN STEAM NAVIGATION CO, LTD.
(F.C. STRICK & CO, LTD). SWANSEA.
REG, NO, 143988.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo-0006.jpg (141.2 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg Photo-0025.jpg (118.1 KB, 145 views)
Old 11th October 2016, 18:55

The large number of views of this thread, by comparison with the number of actual responses, suggests that the nostalgia within us for the sight of a good brass engine-room telegraph (preferably a Chadburn, though a Ray would be equally as good!) generates as least as much enthusiasm as the sight of a square-rigger ever generated in an old shell-back of our fathers' generation!

"A haven of brass and brightwork" (or something very similar) was (I think) how the blessed Doctor Richard Gordon described the wheelhouse of the ss Lotus of the Fathom Line (or Lamport & Holt in a thin disguise) in Doctor At Sea. Here is nostalgia writ large!

A splendid looking model, Gretaston!

Well done - and thank you for starting the thread!

Last edited by Barrie Youde; 11th October 2016 at 19:12..
Old 20th October 2016, 20:39

engineroom telegraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Youde View Post
The large number of views of this thread, by comparison with the number of actual responses, suggests that the nostalgia within us for the sight of a good brass engine-room telegraph (preferably a Chadburn, though a Ray would be equally as good!) generates as least as much enthusiasm as the sight of a square-rigger ever generated in an old shell-back of our fathers' generation!

"A haven of brass and brightwork" (or something very similar) was (I think) how the blessed Doctor Richard Gordon described the wheelhouse of the ss Lotus of the Fathom Line (or Lamport & Holt in a thin disguise) in Doctor At Sea. Here is nostalgia writ large!

A splendid looking model, Gretaston!

Well done - and thank you for starting the thread!
Thank you for your kind comments Mr youde I am firmly in the believe that, one volunteer is worth ten pressed men.
Kind Regards,
Gretaston.
Old 20th October 2016, 22:21

G

You have produced splendid work. Keep at it!

B
Old 21st October 2016, 09:17

My location
Gretaston that is a lovely model . Looking at the the steering gear . I was ab in a steam tug and a 1928 steam sludge tanker . Both had the same type of steering gear . The tug June 1954 to Dec 1957 . The tanker Oct 1978 to Feb 1979 . Her replacement a diesel tanker Feb 1979 to Jan 1995 . Many happy memories . Regards .
Alex C .
Old 27th June 2018, 08:46

A rudder allows the ship to turn,
simple plates have been superseded by plates welded to cast or fabricated frame

need best model number

https://RentalCarsUAE.com

Last edited by rentalcarsuae; 27th June 2018 at 08:47.. Reason: Updated More Info
Old 23rd July 2018, 22:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
The method of communication was voice pipes to the Engineroom and the Wheelhouse which is below the Navigation Bridge, when it come's to ship b as Barrie has suggested have a closer look. It is not unusual for the Navigation Bridge not to have either Helm or Engineroom Telegraph, certainly on Warships, on the much loved 'Tons'? the orders were communicated from the Navigation Bridge via a voice pipe to the Wheelhouse below which contained the Helm and the Telegraphs, on the larger Warships the Helmsman was in a compartment way down below.
Old Merchant vessel wise it is difficult to say but I would suggest that there was another Helm and the Telegraphs the Deck below what you call the Flying Bridge.
A friend of mine was 3rd.Mate on an old tramp ship where communication between the bridge and Captains cabin was by voice pipe.
The captain was a "hard to please" character who used to call the bridge multiple times a watch.
My friend got so fed up with this that when he was about to pay off (the Captain was staying on) he filled the voice pipe up with the contents of every ash tray he could find and looked forward to what the results would be!

Last edited by George Bis; 23rd July 2018 at 22:33..
Old 23rd July 2018, 23:01

This is unforunate but readily understandable!

It reminds me of the air-crash at Staines in (I think) the early 1970s. It was a large passenger plane, perhaps a Comet - or something similar. In the wreckage there was found some graffiti on the flight-deck, being rude about the Captain (Captain X or Fred Bloggs for present purposes).

The graffiti said, "When Fred Bloggs dies, who will be God's representative at British Airways?"
Old 24th July 2018, 00:36
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1956 - 1970

Quote:

This is unforunate but readily understandable!

It reminds me of the air-crash at Staines in (I think) the early 1970s. It was a large passenger plane, perhaps a Comet - or something similar. In the wreckage there was found some graffiti on the flight-deck, being rude about the Captain (Captain X or Fred Bloggs for present purposes).

The graffiti said, "When Fred Bloggs dies, who will be God's representative at British Airways?"
I think it was a Trident.
Old 24th July 2018, 11:20
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Barrie,

The Trident crash was in 1972 and British Airways did not come into being until 1974. Maybe "BEA" should be substituted for "British Airways".

(signed) Senior Pedant

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 24th July 2018, 13:42

#16 and #17

Thank you, Chaps.

I stand corrected.
Old 24th July 2018, 18:53
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Here we are, man management at its worst
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...ays_Flight_548

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 2nd November 2019, 18:14

When you rent a car Dubai, you have to make sure to check the status of the vehicle thoroughly before renting it. Most car rental companies in Dubai or Abu Dhabi offer test drives to their customers before they can make up their minds. You must avail of this service and note all the faults of the automobile. Also, do not forget to check if the car has any dents. If you find any, you should notify the company immediately.