Hain-Nourse livery - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
09:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hain-Nourse livery

User Tag List

Old 8th August 2019, 23:43
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Thanks Laurie,

For the purpose of a painting... the air con would not matter. :-)

The first pair, 1952 and 1954 have a GRT of 5,608 and 5,605. The later from the late 50s were all in the 6,500 GRT. That is what I am looking at. Photos of all six seem to have the same likeness. Not enough information to tell them apart, but 900 tonnes extra must show up somewhere. I'll have to start on LOA/beam etc.

The other change is the adding of a raised fo'c'sle. No dates on those changes.

Stephen
The air con would matter on the first draft. (Groan!)
Old 9th August 2019, 01:05

Draft or draught?
Old 10th August 2019, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
John,

As built the ship were flushed deck vessels. Open railings along the main deck with solid bulwarks around the foredeck. (see on the trials photo). At some point, the ships were given a full raised fo'c'sle. The windlass etc were all one deck higher and the railings around the foc's'le were open railing, apart from the very stem.

Stephen
Thanks Stephen. Apologies for slow reply, Iíve been away from internet. Ah, now I see... they were retrofitted with the raised focsle. I have to say the lines were nicer in my opinion with the flush deck focsle but seakeeping would have improved.
Old 10th August 2019, 08:17

Thanks for those latest images. In the absence of a correct date that he was in her, and hull colour-change, I think I will ask for blue hull with blue HN funnel.

The painter’s name is Wallace Trickett. An excellent and reliable bloke (remarkable: Wallace is a former marine engineer... and a Blue Star one at that... not that there’s anything wrong with that!) and a great artist. He painted two commissions in the past for me and I was very happy with them.

I will be viewing the artists you directed me to, and your own excellent work too. Thanks again.

Last edited by John Clarke; 10th August 2019 at 08:20.. Reason: Typo
Old 10th August 2019, 08:22

Ahh! Got it now. Thanks Laurie. Sometimes a little slow on the uptake.

Last edited by John Clarke; 10th August 2019 at 08:27..
Old 10th August 2019, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clarke View Post
Thanks Stephen. Apologies for slow reply, Iíve been away from internet. Ah, now I see... they were retrofitted with the raised focsle. I have to say the lines were nicer in my opinion with the flush deck focsle but seakeeping would have improved.

Thanks. Yes, they looked better 'as built'. Prefer original livery as well. Blue, no matter what shade, is a poor colour for ship's hulls and funnels. Blue does not stand out against the sea and sky! The best colours are best black, red, yellow, buff, etc. Might be fine for a corporate colour scheme but for an artist they is a real nuisance!

Stephen
Old 10th August 2019, 10:56

Quote:
Thanks for those latest images. In the absence of a correct date that he was in her, and hull colour-change, I think I will ask for blue hull with blue HN funnel.

The painterís name is Wallace Trickett. An excellent and reliable bloke (remarkable: Wallace is a former marine engineer... and a Blue Star one at that... not that thereís anything wrong with that!) and a great artist. He painted two commissions in the past for me and I was very happy with them.

I will be viewing the artists you directed me to, and your own excellent work too. Thanks again.

Thanks John,

Yes, I know Trickett's work. When you talk to him you should introduce him to Ships Nostalgia.

Stephen
Old 10th August 2019, 11:03

Quote:

The painterís name is Wallace Trickett. An excellent and reliable bloke (remarkable: Wallace is a former marine engineer... and a Blue Star one at that... not that thereís anything wrong with that!) and a great artist. He painted two commissions in the past for me and I was very happy with them.

Thanks John,

Yes, I know Trickett's work. When you talk to him you should introduce him to Ships Nostalgia.

Stephen
Old 10th August 2019, 13:27

My location
Sailed on Trecarrell 1963/64 before the merger whilst she was still Hains. This was after the foc's'le had been raised. I joined her in Redheads drydock, so it is possible the alteration had been done then. I am away at present, but will check my discharge book on Monday when I return home.
Old 10th August 2019, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimg0nxx View Post
Sailed on Trecarrell 1963/64 before the merger whilst she was still Hains. This was after the foc's'le had been raised. I joined her in Redheads drydock, so it is possible the alteration had been done then. I am away at present, but will check my discharge book on Monday when I return home.
Thanks. Some pictures with the focsle look as though it would have severely reduced the visibility from the bridge. Mind you Iím guessing they used focsle lookouts in the sixties?