C E G B. N.E Coast Colliers. - Ships Nostalgia
21:12

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

C E G B. N.E Coast Colliers.

User Tag List

Old 28th October 2009, 13:32
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1953 - 1960

C E G B. N.E Coast Colliers.

mv Blackwall Point. I was R/O there for two years to the end of 1960. I thought I would see some familiar names on the other threads but no, nowt. I was on the Hawkwood before that. Having spent a fair time on the North East coast I was almost fluent in Geordie by the time I packed it in. So where is everybody ? Has anyone news of John Sundin (Eng) from Newcastle or Tommy Purvis (Master) from Cleadon Village? Good company they were.
David Whitehead.
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:08

i sailed on the mv blackwall point, on deck from 26/9/1960 to 23/12/1960
Old 6th December 2014, 17:24

Mike Skeet

Have just seen this old thread. A very late reply.
I was 2nd mate on flat iron Fulham V111 1956/7. Our R.O. was Jim Horrocks, he left us for a few months to sail on the replica Mayflower with the legendary Capt Alan Villiers, and came back with lots of tales about it.
Our Captain was George Hardy and 1st Mate's were Bill Curley, then -----? Smith. We called him 'White line Smith'. Real characters and good seamen.
Old 7th December 2014, 09:42

My late uncle W.G.Liddell (Bart) spent many years with C.E.G.B. or "flatties" as he called them. From memory - the Fulhams, Brunswick Wharf and Sir Harry Richardson.
Old 7th December 2014, 11:16
Active: 1942 - 1956

My location
I was R/O on the Blackwall Point 4/53 to 9/53
Captains L W Paine and W R Wilson.
Old 9th December 2014, 08:47
Active: 1970 - 1984

I sailed on the Deptford for 6 weeks over the summer in the 1970's, between study leave for my radar ticket.

I remember an AA road map on the bulkhead in the tiny saloon giving instructions when and where to tune the tv into Tyne Tees, Yorkshire, Anglia, etc.

Such a great view whilst sailing up the London river to Battersea power station. The funnel had to be "dropped" to get under the bridges.
Old 9th December 2014, 10:40

I sailed in "Harry Dick" in 1970. I always thought the name was "Sir Harry Richardson" but in my discharge book it says "Harry Richardson". I tried to make out the Old Man's name in the discharge but can't - it ends in a "y". I remember he was a pretty amiable bloke (Geordie) and smoked fags in a cigarette holder.

John T
Old 9th December 2014, 14:34

Tommyrob has just posted a photo in the gallery and it is definitely "Harry Richardson".

John T
Old 9th December 2014, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
I sailed in "Harry Dick" in 1970. I always thought the name was "Sir Harry Richardson" but in my discharge book it says "Harry Richardson". I tried to make out the Old Man's name in the discharge but can't - it ends in a "y". I remember he was a pretty amiable bloke (Geordie) and smoked fags in a cigarette holder.

John T
For some unknown reason I always thought she was called Sir Harry Richardson, I have checked in Lloyds and could only find three CEGB vessels with the prefix Sir, the Sir John Snell, the Sir Johnstone Wright and the Sir William Walker.
Old 9th December 2014, 17:06
Department: Purser
Active: 1964 - 1986

Sir Archibald Page of 1952, Sir Leonard Pearce of 1941, Sir Joseph Swan of 1945 and the only one I was on, Sir Alexander Kennedy of 1946.
Also the hopper barge Sir Fon of 1950.
Old 9th December 2014, 22:53

I got a berth for one night on the Harry Richardson when I missed the "Gosport"in N.Shields.Well not exactly a berth,the Watchkeeper allowed me to sleep in the messroom!
I did a Couple of Months on the"WJH Wood"in '64.
Old 11th December 2014, 22:57

Flatties

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7woodlane View Post
mv Blackwall Point. I was R/O there for two years to the end of 1960. I thought I would see some familiar names on the other threads but no, nowt. I was on the Hawkwood before that. Having spent a fair time on the North East coast I was almost fluent in Geordie by the time I packed it in. So where is everybody ? Has anyone news of John Sundin (Eng) from Newcastle or Tommy Purvis (Master) from Cleadon Village? Good company they were.
David Whitehead.
I sailed as 3nd Eng on the Sir John Snell and 2nd Eng on Capitol, Firebeam and Tyndal. All in 1958. Good memories, even if those those down below almost choked when the funnel was lowered going under the Thames bridges.

Tom Currie.

Last edited by bundanoon; 11th December 2014 at 22:57.. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 16th December 2014, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Skeet View Post
Have just seen this old thread. A very late reply.
I was 2nd mate on flat iron Fulham V111 1956/7. Our R.O. was Jim Horrocks, he left us for a few months to sail on the replica Mayflower with the legendary Capt Alan Villiers, and came back with lots of tales about it.
Our Captain was George Hardy and 1st Mate's were Bill Curley, then -----? Smith. We called him 'White line Smith'. Real characters and good seamen.
Hi Mike, Never sailed on Fulham V111 but served my time with Taylor Pallister of Dunston and worked on her as a fitter before going with Bank Line. I'm sure you will remember Dunston, Cross Keys, Anchor, and the Excelciore club. Norm. All best for 2015.
Old 16th December 2014, 23:35
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post

Such a great view whilst sailing up the London river to Battersea power station. The funnel had to be "dropped" to get under the bridges.
You guys were partly instrumental in me going to sea as a deck officer. From about 1962 we lived in the wee row of old victorian houses, on Grosvenor road, , on the edge og Churchill Gardens housing estate, directly opposite Battersea Power station. I used to watch the coal ships coming and going every day. I just loved everything to do with ships.

I hate what they are doing to Battersea Power Station now - it is like watching an old family pet get butchered.

nina
Old 17th December 2014, 00:13

What's happening at Battersea, Nina?

John T
Old 17th December 2014, 14:03

I sailed as R/O on the Steyning 1969, Harry Richardson 1971, and Brimsdown
1972. I remember well those exotic ports.
Old 17th December 2014, 15:47

Hi George
you must have come to Shoreham many times the Gas Works and Power Station Was the Master of the Steyning a Fellow called Monger
Cheers
Granty
Old 17th December 2014, 18:02

Hi Granty, Just checked my discharge book and yes the Master was Monger, and yes i have visited Shoreham one of those exotic collier ports.
Old 17th December 2014, 18:16

Hi George
I was a boatman in Shoreham up to September 68 so we may have seen each other
Cheers
Granty
Old 17th December 2014, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by George McCaffery View Post
I sailed as R/O on the Steyning 1969, Harry Richardson 1971, and Brimsdown
1972. I remember well those exotic ports.
You were RO on the Steyning? That must have been a doddle of a job, what did you do?When I was on the Beeding the old man or the mate were the only ones to use the radio, and then it was only used once southbound to north foreland to let them know where we were
Old 18th December 2014, 01:57

I was R/O on the 'Deptford', '72. I seem to remember oil lamps, on gimbals, in the cabins. Or is my memory playing tricks on me?
I remember going under the bridges, bound Battersea, with the funnel down; pedestrian traffic on the bridges stopped, with people gawping. Some 'unmentionables' lobbing objects, trying to get them into that big smoking hole.

Duncs
Old 18th December 2014, 04:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Mackintosh View Post
You were RO on the Steyning? That must have been a doddle of a job, what did you do?When I was on the Beeding the old man or the mate were the only ones to use the radio, and then it was only used once southbound to north foreland to let them know where we were
Well, it certainly wasn't a huge challenge when I was on "Harry Richardson", however,as the ships were over 1600 GRT it was a legal requirement for them to carry an RO.

What tonnage was "Beeding"?

John T
Old 19th December 2014, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
What's happening at Battersea, Nina?

John T
Well the first sacrilege was donkeys years ago when they took all the machinery out. Now they are proposing to replace the chimneys with plastic copies and insert a load of hideous flats into all possible spaces. See the developers site here.

I do not understand why all the new expensive flats in London all look like something from Florida. Yuck.

A sad and undignified end, in my view.

nina
Old 19th December 2014, 17:16

[QUOTE=ninabaker;1187770]Well the first sacrilege was donkeys years ago when they took all the machinery out. Now they are proposing to replace the chimneys with plastic copies and insert a load of hideous flats into all possible spaces. See the developers site here.

I do not understand why all the new expensive flats in London all look like something from Florida. Yuck.

A sad and undignified end, in my view.

nina