International Marine Radio Company - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
07:21

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

International Marine Radio Company

User Tag List

Old 16th March 2014, 19:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1968 - 1990

Was with IMR circa 1971 to 1973. Sailed on British Monarch, Naticina and Volnay. Enjoy my time with them. Moved on to Redifon & then Silver Line.

Good gear too.

Chris Jenkins
Old 24th June 2014, 09:41

Very sorry to have to report that Bruce Geale ( ex IMRC) passed away on the 18th June following hospitalization.
Funeral on 30th June at Sedgemoor Crematorium ( between Bridgwater and
Highbridge).
I know some of you sailed with Bruce who was a great character at GKA.
rgds
Graham Powell
Old 24th June 2014, 10:07
Active: 1966 - 1974

IMRC and Redifon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jenkins View Post
Was with IMR circa 1971 to 1973. Sailed on British Monarch, Naticina and Volnay. Enjoy my time with them. Moved on to Redifon & then Silver Line.

Good gear too.

Chris Jenkins
Hi Chris
Brian Fraser here, I worked for Redifon from 74 to 78, my first shore side job after BlueFlu and various others. I was in the marine service department at Wandsworth responding to fault and service requests from Redifon R/O`s and Redifon equipped ships. We used an EB1500 tx (called it G342) as a stop gap between our old xtl tx, G341 and our first fully synthesised tx, the RMT1500.
Coincidentally, one of the guys I worked was a Jenkins... John. We all worked a real gentleman called Mike Kitson.
Old 24th June 2014, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfraser47 View Post
Hi Chris
Brian Fraser here, I worked for Redifon from 74 to 78, my first shore side job after BlueFlu and various others. I was in the marine service department at Wandsworth responding to fault and service requests from Redifon R/O`s and Redifon equipped ships. We used an EB1500 tx (called it G342) as a stop gap between our old xtl tx, G341 and our first fully synthesised tx, the RMT1500.
Coincidentally, one of the guys I worked was a Jenkins... John. We all worked a real gentleman called Mike Kitson.
Hello Brian,

Very interesting info, thanks. I found the IMR gear really nice, and especially after sailing on some of the older MIMCO ships.

Brian, can you remember if the shell tanker Amastra was part of the IMR fleet ?

Regards
Chris
Old 24th June 2014, 15:05
Active: 1975 - 1985

Quote:
Hello Brian,

Very interesting info, thanks. I found the IMR gear really nice, and especially after sailing on some of the older MIMCO ships.
Got to agree with this. Mackay Marines and ST1600s. Lovely!
Old 26th June 2014, 17:06

Imrc

Hi Chris
Sorry for delay in response - gotta virus in me inter-what`s it .. OK now

In answer to your question, I didn't know the IMR fleet, so have no info on that. My association with IMR and EB was only with their kit, all of which was bloody good and equally reliable

Dunno if this and we will get out, internet here in rural Spain is iffy at best... proof of Descartes comment `Africa begins at the Pyrennes`

73s
Brian
Old 26th June 2014, 23:43
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfraser47 View Post
Hi Chris
Sorry for delay in response - gotta virus in me inter-what`s it .. OK now

In answer to your question, I didn't know the IMR fleet, so have no info on that. My association with IMR and EB was only with their kit, all of which was bloody good and equally reliable

Dunno if this and we will get out, internet here in rural Spain is iffy at best... proof of Descartes comment `Africa begins at the Pyrennes`

73s
Brian
Don Sixto (Conoco Europe) said it differently. In the north we are European peoples, in the middle they (he fancied himself Basque) are Spanish peoples. In the south they are f..... Arabs"
Old 27th June 2014, 10:04

Insha`allah
Old 27th June 2014, 19:13

RS65
Like many Tanker staff, I`ve worked in the Persian/Arabian Gulf, and sailed with many different ethnic crews, and most of us have assimilated some of their cultures and languages. One of the great joys of seagoing was to experience and revel in different cultures (I even married an English woman... for the avoidance of doubt, that is a joke)
I live in southern Spain and have Moroccan, Algerian and other Sahrian
friends with whom I attempt to exchange linguistic experiences and from whom I try to gain more understanding of their culture.. we don't have PC here.
Rather than inject Political Correctness into a slightly amusing conversation, perhaps you may wish to embrace the joys of mutual respect, understanding and language.
Let us return the subject of this thread back to it`s roots
Brian
Over and Out
Old 27th June 2014, 20:20

RS65
QSL
I see from your profile you worked at GND, I lived there in mid 70`s, worked in Dyce organising and managing ISB links from rigs to GND and GKR. In an earlier life worked at GKB for a while.
Nought to do with IMRC.... maybe we should start a North Sea R/O thread...I managed the R/O dept of one of the first telecom subcontractors in the North Sea
Shalom
Brian
Old 29th June 2014, 00:50
Active: 1971 - 1981

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham P Powell View Post
Very sorry to have to report that Bruce Geale ( ex IMRC) passed away on the 18th June following hospitalization.
Funeral on 30th June at Sedgemoor Crematorium ( between Bridgwater and
Highbridge).
I know some of you sailed with Bruce who was a great character at GKA.
rgds
Graham Powell
Graham
Sorry to hear about Bruce. Sailed with him as my boss on Geestbay on my second trip in 1971. Great guy and a real party animal in those days! Met him again some years later when I was on Cunard passenger ships in the West Indies....... and he was still with Geest.
RIP
Old 29th June 2014, 00:56
Active: 1971 - 1981

My location
Quote:
Hello Brian,

Brian, can you remember if the shell tanker Amastra was part of the IMR fleet ?

Regards
Chris
Chris

In the 70's the only Shell tankers IMRC manned we're the 'M' class, Mitra, Marinula and Mactra ( yes, the one that blew up!)
I would guess that your 'A' class was sailing around that time.
Regards
Peter
Old 30th December 2014, 23:58
Active: 1965 - 1969

Joined GTZR in 1965 from Riversdale Road. Sailed on.....
Oscilla, first ship, Shell tanker, GHYV, October 1965 to April 1966.
Northumbrian Prince, Prince Line, can anyone please supply callsign? April - June 1966.
Hermiston, Chapmans tramp, GHNT, Jul 1966 to April 1967.
St. Merriel, ex Thorp Grange, can anyone please supply callsign? Home trade.
Sidonia, Anchor Line, can anyone please supply callsign? June 1967 to Sep 1967.
Pacific Stronghold, Furness Lines, can anyone please supply callsign? Home trade.
Wellington Star, Blue Star Line, can anyone please supply callsign? Home trade.
Voluta, last ship, Shell tanker, GHYW, December 1967 to November 1968.
Old 31st December 2014, 16:42
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
Neill, your call signs are:
St Merriel I cannot find but Thorpe Grange (with an 'e') was GRTP. British ships usually kept the call sign when they changed names.
Sidonia was GHPH, Pacific Stronghold GXGF and Wellington Star GNPD.
Regards
Tony
Old 1st January 2015, 16:38
Active: 1950 - 1961

There is a ship called St Merriel in the 1963-63 Lloyds but she is shown as South Americian Saint line ship call sign MAOS. Cheers Roger
Old 1st January 2015, 19:11
Active: 1963 - 1995

Northumbrian Prince is shown as MWDQ in my Dec 1963 List of Call Signs

GHNT is listed to St Rosario also South American Saint Line. However MAOS is not listed in this edition.

David+
Old 2nd January 2015, 21:17

Many, many thanks

David/Roger/Tony
QSL3 and many, many thanks to u all.
My younger son badgered me into writing a biography (Liverpool to GTZR to engineering project manager with Civil Aviation) and I needed these call signs for completeness. One of these days I might finish it. So far it has only taken me 7 years.
Thanks again. 73's.
Dave Neill
Old 5th February 2015, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Eccleson View Post
Chris

In the 70's the only Shell tankers IMRC manned we're the 'M' class, Mitra, Marinula and Mactra ( yes, the one that blew up!)
I would guess that your 'A' class was sailing around that time.
Regards
Peter
Thanks Peter, guess it was with Redifon then with the Amastra.
(This aging memory !)
Regards & TUOM
Chris
Old 11th January 2018, 17:00
Active: 1969 - 1977

My location
Chance meeting.

It must be about 5 or so years ago that I got chatting to a chap on the obviously Welsh Ffestiniog light railway. The conversation got round to jobs. Not only was he in the MN, but also an RO, furthermore an IMRC RO, and also played a role in the administration of a site like this.
He told me at the time that David Wardley was not very well. We exchanged emails, but when I returned from the holiday could I find the paper I wrote it on - no.
Are you out there?
66 now. So much water under the bridge, but such fond memories of experiences of those days at sea that shaped my life which, thank goodness I survived. Scary when you think back!
Old 11th January 2018, 17:11

My location
Lynton, I wonder if I could be the man you met. A few years ago I started chatting to someone on the Ffestiniog on a very wet day running downhill towards Porthmadog. It turned out he was an R/O and we exchanged email addresses. Like you I could not find the paper when I got home. Where the story slightly differs is that I am the Chairman of the Radio Officers Association (ROA) and have not worked for IMR. I did however know David Wardley quite well as he was a member until he passed away and it is quite possible I mentioned David if you told me you worked for IMR.
On balance it seems I might be the man you met and if not the story is scarily similar.
Regards
Tony
Old 11th January 2018, 18:47

Riversdaleneill

Hello Neill
As Tony has said GRTP is the call sign of ship St.Merriel.
I used to have a 16mhz daily sched with GRTP as my best mate
and best man was on her at the time as R/O, he was seconded to her
from GTZH (KH) for a few trips from UK to South America and I was on a tanker bound for Persian Gulf so we had quite a few good chats on the key. Due to this sched I remember the call sign well.
Cheers 73,s de ftf
Old 11th January 2018, 21:58
Active: 1969 - 1977

My location
Crickey that was quick. Thanks for getting back and apologies for not being able to respect our exchange.
I seldom met other R/O's when at sea, and that last one I met otherwise was on a train on a very wet day running downhill towards Porthmadog. Who knows how many other R/O's were on the same train? It's not the sort of thing we generally to talk about it seems. I find that the topic is generally met with a 'cannot compute' look, whereas talking trains is wholly acceptable!
I'm landlocked in south Beds nowadays with lots of time and lots of thing to fill it with, plus sufficient moments to indulge in one of my life-long weaknesses - nostalgia.
Old 11th January 2018, 22:33

My location
Ah, Lynton so it definitely was you. I very nearly mentioned that I recall you came from Bedfordshire so that seals the deal. I agree it is rather hard to imagine there were many more R/Os on the same Train! Good to close the loop albeit a bit late.
Old 11th January 2018, 23:29
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
It's interesting that when I went for the interview for the job as ITT support tech at a Devon Community College there were two of us up for the job. As we waited for the interview (I suspect a few on here will be aware of that feeling) we got to talking, and amazingly, the other guy was an ex MN RO as well.

Believe it or not I sort of felt guilty when I got the job which meant he didn't. I don't think it was the interview that did it, just that I had a different background since leaving the sea that probably helped.

What were the chances that the only two applicants for the job would be ex sparkies.
Old 5th March 2018, 16:10

Smile

Hello Lynton. Please excuse my tardiness in replying to your query, grandparent duties can be demanding. I see you resolved your mystery.
However, talking about trains, the West Country and 'dot dash daddies' here is a little funny story that u may find amusing. I signed off the Shell tanker Voluta, GHYW, in Falmouth on 7th March 1968 (joined her in Puerto Miranda 14th December 1967) and returned to my home town, Liverpool, with all my chattels in tow for a spot of leave. Fourteen days later IMRC instructed me to return to the Voluta so I had to lug all my gear back to Falmouth. Train from Liverpool to Euston, across London to Paddington to catch the West Country train. It was wet, dark and I was the only person in the carriage as the aged ticket collector approached. It had been such a long journey that I had begun to fear I had got on the wrong train so I asked him if it stopped at Falmouth. His reply? "I hope so son because the track does. Keep smiling.