Ikeja Palm - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ikeja Palm

User Tag List

Old 16th July 2007, 15:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by son of tom View Post
Yes thats my dad.Blimey this is amazing.You ,or anybody else might be able to answer a long kept impression.I insist to this day that either the 'Gambia 'or the 'Kano' had a ruddy great steam locomotive on the deck.I remember seeing Dad off from Liverpool docks and I swear that train was strapped to the deck.This was more than 40 years ago and the more I think about it the more it must be some sort of dream I mean the logistics of it don't add up. I have photos but as I'm new to computers I don't know if I can scan them and put them on this site
Could have been Kano Palm as when I was there we took two diesel locomotives down for Ghana railways.
Took one back some time later for major repairs as it had been involved with another locomotive.
There was a series of railway stock shipped down to Tokoradi then as the port of Tema was not completed.
Bill
Old 17th July 2007, 11:09
Department: Purser
Active: 1955 - 1966

Son of Tom.

As I have already mention I made two trips in the Gambia Palm with your Dad, and we used two have a drink together every night.
I left Palm Line two years later to join Harrisons of Liverpool, and so lost touch with most of the Palmliners that I knew.
Could you tell me a little more of your Dads history after 1955.
Best regards,
Pat Baker.
Old 21st July 2007, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Roberts View Post
Son of Tom Brace
I sailed on the Ilorin Palm for two voyages in 1965 and one voyage aboard the Kano Palm in 1966 I'm sure that I sailed with Tom Brace do you have his Seamans Discharge Record Book to check out some of the dates
I sailed with Tommy Brace for quite a few trips a real genlteman, he was with the Ikeja for a long time. Cheers John Morley
Old 21st July 2007, 14:48
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Son of Tom, get some advice and get the pictures scaned sure your father would be proud to have the pictures posted
Old 21st July 2007, 18:35
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Son of Tom, I sailed on a ship that had two 140 ton locomotives strapped to the foredeck and two tenders strapped to the after deck they were for the Mozambique railways and dropped of in either Beira or Lourenco Marques.
So you did see locos and it was not imagination.
Old 22nd July 2007, 12:51

Unfortunately my dad died quite young[55] of stomach cancer in 1978.In 1962 my sister Gill died [7] in an accident and I don't think dad ever got over it[who would] and then in 1967 his ship was charted [is that the right word] and my mum went with him to South Africa and when they came home mum was pregnant with my sister Alison.So he was a dad again at 45.He was shore superintendant based in the Liver Building in 1974 although his last entry of record of sea service is noted as ex ch engr M/V Africa Palm Capetown 27-2-1975 to Sunderland 29-3-75
Old 22nd July 2007, 13:06

Thank you everyone for confirming my vision of the trains.It brought home memories of the Liverpool docks -teeming with sights and smells.Sorry to bang on about cargoes but did pedigree cattle also go to the coast? If they did who looked after them?
The more I think about you merchant navy men the more I realise what a debt not just this country owes you .Was there anything you couldn't ship?What happens if we need you again?
Old 22nd July 2007, 13:29
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1961 - Present

Hi Son of Tom, just been searching through some old Palm Bulletins and found an article about your Dad receiving a long service award, can't manage to upload it here but if you want you can email me and I'll send it to you

Last edited by Palmship; 22nd July 2007 at 13:33..
Old 22nd July 2007, 15:44
Allan James

Didn't Nigerian National have two of the IKEJA PALM class vessels......they look somewhat familiar.

Think the ships were Nnamdi Azekwei and Ahmadu Bello (mind you the spelling may be a bit questionable!)

Regards

Al J
Old 22nd July 2007, 15:57

My location
Nnamde Azekwi and Ahmadu Bello were virtual copies of Lagos and Lobito Palm, except for the shape of the funnel. All these vessels had 6 cylinder doxfords, thue were slightly longer than the Ikeja and her class as they had 4 cylinder doxfords.
I made my final trip down the coast in 1971 as second mate on Ikeja Palm. George Holeyman was Master and Buckie Thompson the mate.
Old 25th July 2007, 17:22
Active: 1936 - 1986

Two familiar names there Barry..Did Captain Holeyman live on West Coast of Wales? And I saw Buckie in Tilbury after he left Palm Line but not sure if he told me what ship he was on..
I worked on IKEJA PALM in Tilbury Dock 19th to 23rd Feb 1971,. Is that when you were in her ? Kevin Sheerin was 2nd Engineer ...
Prior to IKEJA PALM I worked on MATADI PALM for 8 days while she was on Tilbury Repair Jetty ...Her Chief Officer was Adrian Hobbins and I noted in my work diary she sailed for New York on 18th Feb 1971
Old 29th July 2007, 13:14

Ch eEng Tommy Brace.

I sailed with Tom on the Ikeja Palm around 1971 as 5/eng. I eventually sailed on most of the Palm ships, and still work with a couple of old Palm hands offshore.
Cheers John Morley.
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntmorley View Post
I sailed with Tommy Brace for quite a few trips a real genlteman, he was with the Ikeja for a long time. Cheers John Morley
thank you I still have a flag pennant a triangular palm line flag with a rectangular flag with "think big think Ikeja"
Old 26th January 2016, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrypriddis View Post
Nnamde Azekwi and Ahmadu Bello were virtual copies of Lagos and Lobito Palm, except for the shape of the funnel. All these vessels had 6 cylinder doxfords, thue were slightly longer than the Ikeja and her class as they had 4 cylinder doxfords.
I made my final trip down the coast in 1971 as second mate on Ikeja Palm. George Holeyman was Master and Buckie Thompson the mate.
Nnamdi and Ahmadu were fitted with Sulzer main engines, I stood by the build of both ships, did sea trials taking both on first trips, The Nnamdi was first then Ahmadu, Jack Duncan was super, I sailed as Third, The engines were built by Wallsend, Swan Hunters.