OCL Box boats - Ships Nostalgia
17:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

OCL Box boats

User Tag List

Old 7th December 2007, 01:23

OCL box boats

Still looking for any of the guys that sailed on the Kiwi coast from 79 to 84. I still have fond memories of those days and would like to talk to anyone else that sailed on the 'Bay boats'
I sailed on the Mairangi from December 80, Charlie Mckenzie, Banjo, Spike, Wally Finkle, Candy the cook, to name a few. It was only my second trip deep sea and i was only 16. The Kiwi coast opened my eyes and i still think about my nights in the Lion Tavern in Auckland or Chicks in Chalmers, thankfully iv'e sobered up now, although it took a while.
I also sailed on the Moreton during the 2 month stay in Sydney and i seem to remember a certain deckboy 'baring all' as the Aussie submarine past us in Port Phillip Bay and dipped her flag, the crew were lined up at attention and saluted as the sailed past, it just seemed too good an opportunity to miss !
Anyway, that trip, i managed a night in the cells on the Rocks, a logging and also stripped off in a gay bar (naked) You see, there was a toga party and i didn't have a toga, fortunately no-one fancied me anyway and we made our way to Montys in one piece.

Happy Days

Graham
Old 7th December 2007, 05:21

Hi My name is Colin Havler. I sailed as AB from '81-'87 with OCL. My brother Mike also sailed with OCL. I Knew Spike, Candy the Cook and a few more. In that time I did 14 voyages with OCL. We may have met during that time but would love to hear from you.

Regards

Coz
Old 8th December 2007, 10:11

My location
Haha, you enjoyed the Kiwi Coast then, I take it. Yeah, it could be quite lively ... and at only 16 too!

Anyway, outof the list you gave, I only knew Wally - who was involved in an onboard accident a few years later and was unfortunately killed. RIP
Old 11th January 2008, 20:35

OCL Box boats

Hello all
I have tried in the past but with no response, so i'll give it another shot.
Are there any old OCL men (or ladies) on the site? I sailed with them from about 80 to 84 / 85, mainly on the Kiwi coast (apart from a few on the Far East runs)
I was on the Mairangi 3 times i think, also had a memorable trip on the Moreton, on which we had about 7 weeks in Sydney ( i managed a night in the cells on the Rocks)
My happiest times were mooring alongside in Kiwi and the various 'expectations' i had (bearing in mind i was only 16) I can still remember the girls names even though it was a few years ago now.
Other memories were the mission in Wellington (Noel the minister) and the Bosun trying to get the crew out of Chicks bar in Port Chalmers as we were to sail (on that particular occasion, i think the bosun gave up!)
Can anyone remember the time we shipped 36 polo ponies home from Kiwi, i can still remember the stink as we crossed the line?
I would be glad to hear from anyone that i sailed with (apart from Captain Short, who left me in Fremantle once)
I am now involved in the oil industry as a drilling supervisor, i made it to OIM then started myself as a consultant. I suppose things have turned out OK, considering i went to Gravesend and diddnt even make 'Lead hand'
All the best to you all.

Graham
Old 12th January 2008, 08:14
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1970 - 1990

I did two trips on the Flinders Bay back in 1971. I did not work for OCL (Container Fleets) though. I was a Shaw Savill cadet who was seconded. I did not enjoy my container ship experience and only sailed on one other box-boat in my sea-going career.
Old 13th January 2008, 13:49

Hi Graham,
I was at Gravesend in1981 and worked for OCL between then and 1988.Your post conjured up lots of similar memories.
Old 16th January 2008, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymay View Post
Hello all
Are there any old OCL men (or ladies) on the site? I sailed with them from about 80 to 84 / 85, mainly on the Kiwi coast (apart from a few on the Far East runs)
I was on the Mairangi 3 times i think, also had a memorable trip on the Moreton, on which we had about 7 weeks in Sydney ( i managed a night in the cells on the Rocks)
My happiest times were mooring alongside in Kiwi and the various 'expectations' i had (bearing in mind i was only 16) I can still remember the girls names even though it was a few years ago now.
Other memories were the mission in Wellington (Noel the minister) and the Bosun trying to get the crew out of Chicks bar in Port Chalmers as we were to sail (on that particular occasion, i think the bosun gave up!)
Can anyone remember the time we shipped 36 polo ponies home from Kiwi, i can still remember the stink as we crossed the line?
I would be glad to hear from anyone that i sailed with (apart from Captain Short, who left me in Fremantle once)
I am now involved in the oil industry as a drilling supervisor, i made it to OIM then started myself as a consultant. I suppose things have turned out OK, considering i went to Gravesend and diddnt even make 'Lead hand'
All the best to you all.

Graham
Hi Graham
I was with OCL from mid 1981 till Aug' 87, apart from my time with Fyffes Line i would say the OCL voyages were my favorite trips, definitly when strikes in Aus/kiwi !I think i was with you a few times , i remember the polo ponies, that caused a lot of trouble as some of the under deck containers were contaminated with thier waste leaking through the hatch lids !I left in 87 to go truck driving, only lasted 6 months and ended up on the ferries out of Dover, working on P&O now but had 2 years on SpeedFerries and a short time on Norfolk Line. Still find it hard to believe that all those great box boats are gone, took it all so much for granted at least i;ve got plenty of photos, not drunk all the time!
Regards Peter
Old 22nd February 2008, 22:04

Hi Graham. Sailed on the Mairangi Bay at the beginning of 1980. Sailed with Wally and his wife on the Resolution Bay. Have lived in Auckland now for the last 23 years. Great times on the kiwi coast during my sailing days. Have a list of ships i sailed on in my profile if you want to check it out. Regards Matthew Williams
Old 23rd February 2008, 09:50

It was only my second trip deep sea and i was only 16.

Only 16? No sea school?
Old 23rd February 2008, 22:21

Strange response Pat. Yes i was only 16, i went to Gravesend (T class) in May 79, when i was 15 (my birthday is in August) I did my time there, then joined the Cast Petrel (around October or November) After a 6 month trip, i then joined the Mairangi around May time......Yep i make that 16, do you?

Graham
Old 24th February 2008, 02:51

My location
Anyone else sail with OCL/P&OCL?
Old 24th February 2008, 10:19

Quote:
Strange response Pat. Yes i was only 16, i went to Gravesend (T class) in May 79, when i was 15 (my birthday is in August) I did my time there, then joined the Cast Petrel (around October or November) After a 6 month trip, i then joined the Mairangi around May time......Yep i make that 16, do you?

Graham
Not a strange response, Graham? I was at Gravesend Nov 76 - Feb 77, at that time you had to be 16 to get in & not more than 17yrs 8months on completion of courses. Obviously they changed the entry age of which I was unaware

Incidently a mate of mine, Chris Mullaney, was with OCL for some time.
Old 24th February 2008, 12:55
Catering 1958 - 2007
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Always thought it was 15yrs and 9 months before you could go to Sea School.? I was still under sixteen when I went to Gravesend in 58.
Old 24th February 2008, 13:22
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1985

My location
I think Gravesend must have depended on when your birthday fell.
I went there in 11 May 1970 07 August 1970 and had my birthday there in July. Joined the Windsor Castle at Sixteen and three weeks old
My OCL boats were. Osaka Bay: 83. Discovery Bay: 83. Liverpool Bay: 83/84. all Gulf and Far East runners and they were so punctual you could set your watch by them, on the meat Boats we got plenty of time in port on the Kiwi Coast, were the Box Boats in and out fast turn around.
Old 20th April 2008, 15:03

Hi I sailed with Container Fleets Ltd later to be Overseas Containers Ltd and when I found out that the pay was great conpaired to what I was getting I joined CFL, the luxury of these ships amazed me, the cabins (en-suite on most) the food was on the whole fab, I ended up sailing on:
SS Jervis Bay 24/4/78 -27/7/78 Austrialia / New Zealand
MV Mairangi Bay 8/10/78 - 17/11/78 and 17/11/78 - 27/2/79 Austrialia / New Zealand
SS Moreton Bay 8/5/79 - 16/8/79 Austrialia / New Zealand
SS Botany Bay 24/9/79 -24/12/79 Austrialia / New Zealand
MV Resolution Bay 4/2/80 - 6/5/80 Austrialia / New Zealand
SS Flinders Bay 3/6/80 - 4/9/80 Austrialia / New Zealand
SS Encounter Bay 9/10/80 - 20/1/81 Austrialia / New Zealand
MV Resolution Bay 6/4/81 -30/6/81 Austrialia / New Zealand
MV Moreton Bay 2/9/81 - 25/10/81 Refit and Sea Trails Glasgow
MV Resolution Bay 7/12/81 - 11/3/82 Austrialia / New Zealand
SS Remuera Bay 12/5/82 - 21/7/82 Austrialia / New Zealand
SS Table Bay 24/8/82 - 22/10/82 South Africa
SS Jervis Bay 3/12/82 - 17/12/82 Austrialia
MV Liverpool Bay 31/5/83 -31/7/83 Europe/Far East
MV Kowloon Bay 1/9/83 - 31/7/83 Europe / Far East
MV Tokyo Bay 13/12/83 - 12/5/84 Europe / Far East
MV Tor Bay 17/10/84 - 18/2/85 Gulf / Far East

A great company to work for if my memory serves me right. Paid off MV Tor Bay in Kobe, Japan and never looked back, staying in Japan for a number of years, marrying and living the hippy life around the Far East when it was safer to do so.

Would be nice to relive some off those times with those who where on those ships, alot is just a blur unfortunatley. I still have up in the loft afew of the crew lists we used to get on the Bay boats with full crews on the ships at that particular time, so next job is to find them, to put names to the faces of some good friends I made during my time at sea. I even think I have some of the newsletters FOCAL it was called
Old 25th June 2008, 12:35

Bay Boats

I spent a hell of alot of time with O.C.L... Sailing on all the baby bays along with the Remuera,Resolution and Marangi Bays ...also done a few trips on the far east bays.

One great name that I will always remember is Billy Wallace, he was a P.O.E
sadly no longer with us. I have lots of photos, will sort them out and post some.

Had some great times on those ships.

Dave Foley
Old 25th June 2008, 12:48

Quote:
Hello all
All the best to you all.

Graham
You mentioned the the Coastal Ladies some names that spring to mind are Midnight Maggie.. Egg on Legs ....The Oily Water Seperator ... Two Way Mavis ... and Shirley (who married Charlie Culver P.O.E) We all got a half day to go to the wedding

Last edited by DAVE F; 25th June 2008 at 12:51..
Old 26th June 2008, 20:06

Dave

I,m certain i sailed with you as the name rings a bell, were you on the Rem when the customs strip searched some of the boys in Wellington? The bosun was that old *@st*** Jack Barnes.
I was also on the Mairangi on voyage 11 and 13 about 80-81, the skipper was Captain Bland.
I remember Eggs very well (no, not like that) but i do remember her 'surprising' a deck boy in the lift on the Mairangi, he was never the same after that (probably gay now) Do you remember the Dawson sisters?

Graham

PS....Still have my Chcks bar T shirt somewhere!
Old 30th June 2008, 21:35
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Was it "The Egg" that ringbolted on "Captain La Perouse" thinking she was going to Lyttleton/Port Chalmers rather than Panama - the French crew did nothing to disabuse her of this notion. According to the newspaper reports it quite ruined the French Masters day when she wandered into the saloon a week or so out of NZ and made a clean breast of things, so to speak.
Old 6th July 2008, 15:56

Quote:
Dave

I,m certain i sailed with you as the name rings a bell, were you on the Rem when the customs strip searched some of the boys in Wellington? The bosun was that old *@st*** Jack Barnes.
I was also on the Mairangi on voyage 11 and 13 about 80-81, the skipper was Captain Bland.
I remember Eggs very well (no, not like that) but i do remember her 'surprising' a deck boy in the lift on the Mairangi, he was never the same after that (probably gay now) Do you remember the Dawson sisters?

Graham

PS....Still have my Chcks bar T shirt somewhere!
Hi Graham
I did sail on the Rem with Jack Barnes, a Poe that trip was Lee Barber and the leading stewart was Billy Brothson ,,, If it was the same trip, I was supposed to go to Betty`s daughters babies christining... But got lost in some bar in Melbourne... Cheers Dave
PS Got a pic of Jack and some of the crowd around the bar on the Rem...will sort it out
Old 12th July 2008, 22:38

Hi, I was an engineer and sailed with OCL from 1982 to 1990. I particularly remember a girl called Misty in Wellington. My wife met Misty on her very first trip away with me Misty left an indelible impression!

Brendan
Old 13th July 2008, 18:24

Pictures

There must be some pictures of the lads on board some of the ships, as I remember there was always cameras about, Would be good to see some old faces again.. I have quite a few slides which I must transfer to computer

Cheers Dave
Old 15th September 2008, 20:59

Hello graymay

Thought i'd drop a line. My dad was Wally Finkle, I noticed you mentioned his name in your list. Unfortunately he was killed in an accident onboard the Singapore Bay in 93'.
I actually sailed on the box boats from 89 to 99 when P&O had them. I never met the names you have mentioned but my dad told me a lot of stories about them and countless other characters that sailed with OCL. I must admit i found the stories hard to believe until I experienced the Kiwi coast for myself....
Old 18th September 2008, 01:55

Hi Mate

I,m certain that you have been told this a million times before, but your dad was a true Gentleman, he was a real role model to a lot of us younger guys while deep sea.
I sailed with Wally on the Mairangi for the first time around August 1980, then numerous times after that, my final voyage with him being the Liverpool Bay when he was bosun and I was POE (I was only 21 and he kept me right so often) I met your Mam on a couple of occasions too (it was Mary wasn't it?) Please send her my regards ( I was wee Jock the deck boy then)
I remember him in the crew bar singing " I dont know why I love you but I do" He was 'dueting' with old Charlie Mckenzie, it really was a sight to be seen, they were two stars.
My other lasting memory of your Dad was one of his many diets and also his attempts at giving up the roll ups, he didn't ever manage either for very long !
I will always remember Wally and the laughs we used to have, he bridged the generation gap like no one ive ever come across before, he would be having a beer with the deck boys and discussing the latest 'sounds' or he would be singing some Jim Reeves, a real Toff.

All the very best Mate

Graham
Old 18th September 2008, 08:02

Hello Graham.

Thanks for those words, mate. It's always a pleasure to hear about my dad and what he was like at sea. I must admit, I think I got away with a hell of a lot on board certain voyages because of his reputation (even though he'd beg bosuns to give me hard time!!), and I'd always sail with his good friends who'd take me under their wing. Sometimes that could be a hindrance, especially when they expected me to be able to drink as much as him. Then again, I always enjoyed trying! People mentioning his yo-yo dieting always makes me laugh as well because I was, (and still am) exactly the same.
I'll pass on your regards to my mother, Graham. She'll remember you, she remembers every detail of every voyage she went on, she loved it that much.

All the best, mate

Darren.