Flood threat to vintage steamers. - Ships Nostalgia
18:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Flood threat to vintage steamers.

User Tag List

Old 4th April 2017, 22:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
Flood threat to vintage steamers.

The Whanganui River has been swollen by what is being referred to the "tail end' of Cyclone Debbie, which recently devastated the east coast of Queensland. Despite our rigging of extra moorings and turning her around in the stream yesterday to face the current our 117 year old paddle Steamer "Waimarie" is at risk of damage or more should the levels of the river rise above the levels seen in June 2015, when we had another nasty flood.
A group of us spent some hours last night shifting museum exhibits, workshop equipment and documents to a safe place before the peak of the flood materialises (late tonight) and before a cordon is put in place along the river frontage. Thank you to all who gave their time and input to this, you guys are stars.
Residents are being evacuated with the assistance of the RNZAF and Army personnel from the areas that were flooded in 2015. My thoughts are with those folk who may have to endure being flooded out again.
Waimarie is not the only vessel moored along the river; the Wairua (1905) and Adventurer II are also at risk and if the worst case scenario eventuated there is a real risk that we could lose all three, which would be an absolute disaster for the City.
The rain has now increased and we are just sitting tight and waiting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The paddler.jpg (267.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 4th April 2017, 23:10

My location
Hi Donald, I hope all's well with you, the boats and the community. I remember the huge floods in the fifties of the local rivers at the time of the Tangiwai disaster and, as we've seen here in Qld, they are quite devastating. Let's hope the old W(h)anganui, settles down soon.

All the best

Taff
Old 5th April 2017, 00:49
Spongebob
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

Donald, I was wondering about you and Waimarie's fate as we had 125 mm in less than 24 hours till 10 am today and you must be getting a lot more.It amazes me how this one weather event can stay around for so long and travel so far with its destructive forces.
Here's hoping that the end of the rain is near and that the Whanganui River does not rise too far.
Our thoughts are with you

Bob
Old 11th April 2017, 23:57
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
All good now. Flood moorings stowed away, but we sure dodged that bullet! More rain forecast, so will just wait and see what happens. Weird weather, but this is what we have to expect now, whether or not it's global warming or climatic fluctuations, who really knows, all I know is that that is the case. Thanks for your concerns guys.
Old 12th April 2017, 01:11

My location
Pleased to hear all is safe and well, Donald. The worst is hopefully over.

Cheers

Taff
Old 12th April 2017, 03:43
Spongebob

Not to sure about that Donald, this morning we are told that cyclone 'Cook' is bearing down on us and is expected to dump up to 250 mm on the Bay of Plenty region over the next few days.
The small town of Edgecumbe was unindated last week by the final thros of cyclone Debbie and most of the population evacuated when the Rangitaiki river burst its stopbanks flooding the majority of homes.
Just as the water starts to recede along comes Cook and the whole BOP region has been put on flood watch.
We are high and dry in Tauranga but the Edgecumbe flooding is close to home as it was my birth village and there are a few family names in the news that I recall. Captain James Cook named this province Bay of Plenty because of it providence so let's hope that his namesake cyclone treats Edgecumbe kindly.

Bob
Old 12th April 2017, 04:00
Spongebob

Google Earl of Edgecumbe to read about the NZ towns association with Cornwall.
Robert Edgecumbe the 8th Earl of Edgecumbe was a Kiwi resident of the family when he inhereted the title and ruffled a few feathers of the establishment when he did things his way . He ended up moving in with the local landlady while his wife took off with the butler, something along those lines.
Edgecumbe is also famous for its mountain rising out of the plains. one that hosts an annual cross country race to the summit and back .

Bob
Old 12th April 2017, 08:27

My location
Bob, my old diving mate in Te Puke was hoping to take his boat out this weekend. However, I've just sent him an email to tell him to head to the local fish shop to stock up!

Taff