Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships - Page 18 - Ships Nostalgia
20:06

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships

User Tag List

Old 12th December 2008, 23:21

Hi Con,
Don't suppose you'll remember me.Gingerbeers Steward in the Abadesa,the trip when your wife and son Paul flew home from the Gulf.The boy will be getting big now!!!
Archie from Leven
Old 13th December 2008, 00:10
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombersman View Post
On sea trials -Hawthorn leslie Built N.U.Tyne 1962-IMO:5260605-ELLION HOPE 80-BU Gadani Beach 27-2-83.
This was probably the vessel on the stocks at the time that the "Linkmoor" was launched and the "Clymene" went on sea trials.
Alan Lowery (later C/E) and I, would often have a good look around the various vessels when our alloted work was completed during quiet overtime hours towards the end of serving our time at hawthorn Leslies.
I sailed with Alan Lowery on the Cavendish from my time on there as a junior to 2nd and even took over one time from him when Alan's wife was rushed to hospital and I sailed as chief for a couple of weeks.

Do you know what happened to Alan as I lost touch with him.
Old 13th December 2008, 00:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzapha View Post
Hi to you all!
I came across this website purely by accident and reading some of the posts in The Forum has certainly stirred “the old grey matter”.
My name is Con Rooney and I joined Houlder Lines in the latter part of 1960 as Fifth Engineer and was appointed to M.V. Westbury. She was under construction at that time by The Burntisland Shipbuilding Company at their Burntisland Shipyard.
The Chief Engineer was Mr. Randolph Howard. The second engineer was from Wales (the name escapes me at the moment but I sailed with him in later years when he was Chief Engineer on m/v Clydebridge and I was now Third Engineer). On Westbury’s maiden voyage, and before delivery from the shipbuilders, one of the ore carriers was in need of a Second Engineer so our Third Engineer obtained a “dispensation” and went to the ore carrier, resulting in our Fourth Engineer (Barry Poole) being promoted to Third Engineer.
Electrician was Tom Slevin (Kirkcaldy)
I remained on Westbury for a couple of years - running from Bristol Channel ports to South America (Montevideo, Buenos Aires, Rosario, Asuncion, Buenos Aires) and Liverpool, via Sao Vicente for bunkers both on the way out and the way home for a couple of years. One of the deck cadets was Roy Southgate (Gentleman Jim!) Voyages averaged 4 to 4 ½ months.
My next appointment (on leaving Westbury as Fourth Engineer) was as Third Engineer on m.v Oregis. Where the Chief Engineer was Mr. Brian Ward.
I remained with the ore carrier fleet (Oregis; Oredian; Oremina) till I had completed my seatime for a Second Class Certificate of Competence.
After spending time in the ore carriers, I was quite looking forward to another appointment there after obtaining my Second Class Certificate of Competence so imagine my consternation when, after obtaining my exam results, Mr. Batchelor phoned me with the greeting “Congratulations, Mr. Rooney. We are now promoting you to Second engineer on the Abadesa”. Gobsmacked. I replied “But…but that’s a tanker”! “Oh, we know it’s a tanker, Mr. Rooney” said he, tongue in cheek. Anyway, I joined the Abadesa (Chief Engineer Tony Haagensen) and had many return appointments there, in fact it was quite common after the expiry of my leave that I’d be appointed to an ore carrier as a “stop-gap” till the Abadesa would be in need of a Second Engineer again. It was during one of these tours of duty on the Abadesa that Bill Robson (Mr. Robson, in those days!) arrived. It has been mentioned elsewhere in these threads that Mr. Hill (Bernard) was Mr. Robson’s cousin but I think Mr. Hill was not a blood relative of Bill Robson’s but in fact was a cousin of Bill’s wife. Anyway, it suited my ribbing of Bill when I would remind him that “with an uncle of his in the office, he was being groomed for stardom!” This used to irritate him without fail, which of course was gris to the mill.
I well recall Mr. Robson’s “counseling” me regarding my use of “descriptive adjectives” when directing the engine room staff during the overhaul of a unit at sea and before you say “all adjectives are descriptive” believe me, in the engine room, some adjectives are more descriptive than others!
Later on, Bill did go into the office as a Superintendent and we met up again when he came on board m.v. Oregis whilst I was Second Engineer there.
At that time, we’d been out for quite a time and stores were running low and we were almost out of pigmy/running lights. Coincidently we had an earth on the main supply line to the windlass, which was going to be repaired at the forthcoming dry-dock and in the meantime I’d put a “good” bulb in the earth lamp on the main board indicating the earth and, rather than leave an empty socket I stuck an old bulb into it. At least we’d have indication if anyone put the breaker for the windlass in!
After leading the super (Bill) on his tour of the engine room, we came upon the switchboard, with the earth lamp burning brightly. Bill looked at the earth lamp, looked at me then the earth lamp again and once more looked at me – obviously expecting a reaction. Does that bright light concern you? I asked cheekily. “It certainly does” he replied and, with that I swapped the two bulbs over……..no light! And carried on with the engine room tour. Well, I thought he was going to explode! I then explained that we knew there was an earth on the cable on deck and were using the only good lamp as a means of reminding ourselves that the power to the windlass was ON.
Later in my career he was the superintendent in dry-dock when I joined the Cerinthus as Junior Second Engineer.
Others that I’ve sailed with included : Harold Pugh (C/E); Johnny Mulligan (Master); Bob Kirkby (Electrician and later as 3/E); Rory McGruery (3/E Abadesa); Pat Cafferty (C/E Clydebridge); David Luff (Master Abadesa);
Captains S. Jackson (Abadesa) and N. Smith (Cerinthus); Captains R. Leach and G.Spong (orecarriers); . Jackie Scotland (3/E); Jimmy Grey (Dispensation 2/E and later as Deck Engineer on the original Stolt Tudor – formerly Tudor Prince); George Bruce (3/E Abadesa and ore carriers)
All these names have to be recalled from memory as, after leaving Houlders in 1972 I was involved in a fire on a tanker in dry-dock in Birkenhead (m.t. Marland) where the complete aft accommodation was burnt out and I lost my Discharge Book and my Identity book. In those days, sailing on “foreign flagged” vessels and the Shipping Federation Office in Leith refused – point blank- to issue me with a replacement Discharge Book unless I was prepared to sign a statement to the fact that I was prepared to return to a British Company. Changed days!!
Anybody out there remember me?? (or want to admit to remembering me!)
I retired in February 2000 and now reside with my wife in Cape Town.
I live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida not far from Bill Robson & forwarded your posting to him asking him if that brought back memories. I will let you know. We called Mr Hill, "Benny" but never to his face and he was Bill's cousin and retired to a small Northumbrian village not far from where Bill and I both came from. That was in the North Tyne area. I got some stick as well as some in the company thought Bill & I were related and he was a super' with Hadleys at the time I joined Houlders in the early 70's. Bill's cousin was my fathers best friend from their school days and I called him uncle so people assumed Bill was related.
Old 13th December 2008, 08:52
user

My location
Con Rooney (tzapha) that’s a fine recollection of Houlders’ days – well done and several names are very familiar. It is interesting that you recall Roy Southgate (as deck cadet in those far off days) he went on to gain his command in almost record time. Yes, Bill Robson was (and still is) a decent man, typical Houlders, loyal and very hard working. I see, as my colleague has observed, you served on the "world’s favourite tanker’’ and whilst I did not, I did share the Oregis, but I fear not at the same time.

Mark
Old 13th December 2008, 10:14

With reference to Alan Lowery, Marinejocky asked: -

I am sorry to say that I also lost touch with Al after coming ashore in 1966. Al stayed at sea a lot longer than me judging by some of the posts here.

He lived only a mile or so away from where I live now in Walkerville, a one time retreat of merchant navy officers. The man next door had a square rig master’s ticket but is now sadly deceased.

Kind regards

Bob
Old 13th December 2008, 11:14

Quote:
With reference to Alan Lowery, Marinejocky asked: -

I am sorry to say that I also lost touch with Al after coming ashore in 1966. Al stayed at sea a lot longer than me judging by some of the posts here.

He lived only a mile or so away from where I live now in Walkerville, a one time retreat of merchant navy officers. The man next door had a square rig master’s ticket but is now sadly deceased.

Kind regards

Bob
I first sailed with Alan on the Brandon and then again on the Cavendish when he came onboard to get his diesel time. He was onboard as an extra 2nd and I think he loved it as he had no pressure on him and just got on with what he did best and that was to work. I found him to be my mentor and being a junior eng did not mind when he got me out of bed in the middle of the night just to hold a couple of bits of pipe until he tack welded them.

I started to get like him and by the time I was a second I too would be working non stop and my best days were with Alan as Chief and me as second on board the Cavendish.

The last I knew he was still living in Santos with his Brailian wife and family but I think he must of moved as a letter I sent to him was returned years after I sent it.

Do you remember Hope's fish cake factory at the end of the Walker Bridge, that was my mothers uncles place and Alan well remembered it. I had a terrible job taking fish & salmon cakes from there to Spain to join the Cavendish and to surprise Alan, I thought he was going to cry when I opened the box and showed him what I had brought. He ate them all and then got a belly ache, he blamed the spanish beer but I think it was the dozen fish cakes.
Old 13th December 2008, 11:45

Do you remember Hope's fish cake factory at the end of the Walker Bridge
Sorry, but I dont remember Hopes fish cake factory although like Alan I grew up in Walker. Which Walker bridge would that be? On which road?

He ate them all and then got a belly ache, he blamed the spanish beer but I think it was the dozen fish cakes.
He would :-)

Regards

Bob
Old 13th December 2008, 11:47

The last I knew he was still living in Santos with his Brailian wife and family
That is interesting and an update for me on Alan. Thank you.

Bob
Old 13th December 2008, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnila View Post
Hi Con,
Don't suppose you'll remember me.Gingerbeers Steward in the Abadesa,the trip when your wife and son Paul flew home from the Gulf.The boy will be getting big now!!!
Archie from Leven
Archie, unfortunately I don’t recall your name but you are quite correct – my wife and son Paul did fly home from the Gulf on that trip and, as you say “the boy will be big by now” He’ll be 46 in February!!!
He’s in the Metropolitan Police, in London and is due to retire in another three or four years…….how time flies!
Old 13th December 2008, 18:25

Quote:
Do you remember Hope's fish cake factory at the end of the Walker Bridge
Sorry, but I dont remember Hopes fish cake factory although like Alan I grew up in Walker. Which Walker bridge would that be? On which road?

He ate them all and then got a belly ache, he blamed the spanish beer but I think it was the dozen fish cakes.
He would :-)

Regards

Bob
Thinking back I seem to remember now that it was Byker Bridge & not Walker Bridge, sorry. I seem to remember there was a Domestis factory below the bridge and further up the road from the factory was the imfamous housing that I think was called the Byker wall?
Old 14th December 2008, 08:16

Thinking back I seem to remember now that it was Byker Bridge & not Walker Bridge, sorry.
Yup! That makes sense now, thanks. I don't remember the fish cake factory, but the Domestos sign stands out clearly in my minds eye.

You are quite right about the Byker wall. This was built in an area where most of Hawthorn Leslie (St Peters engine works) people lived before its construction.

Alan and I worked as apprentices with these folk, some of whom were very highly skilled. I remember working with a Sep Watson, scraping the bearings on the double reduction gearing of marine turbines to ensure correct meshing of the double helical gear teeth.

Alan went to Heaton Tech then commenced his apprenticeship in 1956 where I first met him. We were to be good friends for the next ten years. I sailed on sea trials on the “Clymene” and had hoped to sail on this superb vessel but was transferred on my first day with Houlders to the “Brandon Priory” as mentioned in some of my earlier posts. I had jumped the gun a bit; as Alan and a fellow apprentice called Ernie Cherry joined Houlders a few weeks later and had their first trip on the “Clymene”

Spring backed labyrinth glands were also developed at Hawthorns and I was involved with this as well, imagine my delight when taking my seconds tickets to come across a question on labyrinth glands. This was carried on in the orals taken at Hull, where the examiner showed great interest in my involvement and made the orals an interesting time for both of us.

I don't remember if Alan Lowery was in the east end erecting shop where the turbines were assembled, but he was definitely in the west end erecting shop where the doxfords were assembled. If my memory serves me right, Alan was on nights with an old fitter on permanent nights who would constantly chew tobacco and at bait time would move the tobacco to one side of his mouth and proceed to eat a raw onion.

Kind regards

Bob
Old 14th December 2008, 20:21

Question Ev??

One for the engine room boys. Theres a name that I just cant just get right,who was a motor chief/2nd whom I think did his steam time on the Cerinthus,and the name "EV" keeps coming to mind.

vinny
Old 15th December 2008, 03:26

It was Eric V Partington.

I last saw him 15+ years ago on the Rathkyle. We did not recognise each other. He introduced himself as Eric, we chatted for a while and as he was leaving "I said see you later Ev" he asked why I called him that as it was an old nickname. Then the penny dropped.

Last I heard he had an heart op and was moving to a meddy island, Cyprus/corsica.

I hope is still around to enjoy his retirement, great guy to sail with.

His picture is here https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...hp?photo=95028 right picture in middle at back with tache.

vasco
Old 15th December 2008, 07:45
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasco View Post
It was Eric V Partington.

vasco
Well done Sir, excellent result
Old 19th December 2008, 15:59

Hi Dennis
Sorry for the belated thanks in providing the names I had forgotten, namely Captains Woolf and Chalmers. Thanks also of reminding me of Charlie Miller he certainly was a character. I spoke to Dai Davies about two months ago and, as you said, he was most dissappointed at not being able to attend the UJ reunion, but despite his poor health he certainly maintains his great sense of humour. I exchange an email with Kevin Campbell every now and again.
Thanks for your Xmas Card.
All the best
Alan
Old 20th December 2008, 04:36
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - 1986

My location
I relieved Kevin Campbell in Yokohama and was on board when the Pinewood ran aground off Vancouver.When we got back to the U.K. she was sold to the Fred Olsen line which ended a great experience on a great ship with many good shipmates.
Old 10th January 2009, 14:07

Fred Ditty

Hi all,

What a great site. Am hoping to find some of you who sailed with my dad Fred Ditty he was an engineer with Houlder Bros for some years from 63. His ships included Joya Mccance (both of them), Clydesdale/Clydebridge, chelwood/oswestry grange, Sholt Stuart, Sir John Hunter, Orelia, Oregis, Tewkesbury, Shaftsbury, Ocean Transport, Royston Grange, Clerk-Maxwell. I dont have dates but will update them later plus any ships I have missed out.

My mum and I had the privilege of joining him on the Clydebridge (3 times I think) between 69 and 72 and on the Oswestry Grange when she was going back and forth between Grangemouth and Holland. A couple of names I know he sailed with are Chris Olsen and Iain Cranston.

Would love to hear from anyone who can remember him.

Jennifer
Old 11th January 2009, 14:13

Hi I am searching for anyone who sailed on m.v.Queensbury from May 1954 till March 1956. My husband Kenneth Collins who died in 2005 was Chief Electrician on this ship I have his Log Book with dates and I take it that it is his Captain W Jaidler who signed his discharged book when he decided to come ashore. Would aprreciate to hear from anyone who knew Ken. Best wishes, Happy New Year. Jean Collins
Old 12th January 2009, 14:55

My location
Cool Houlder Bros.

Hi Everybody.
Im hoping that someone out there will be
able to help me.Im trying to collect buttons
of every Shipping Company I sailed with.One
of the Companies Im short of is Houlder Bros.
Im hoping that one of you may have a button
that they need to get rid of,or maybe advise me
as to where I can obtain one.For what its worth,
I was on just the one ship,the Orelia out from Port
Talbot to North Africa and Narvik and Irlam on the
Manchester Ship Canal.I can also be contacted via Private Message in the first instance

Dave Williams(R583900)

Last edited by non descript; 12th January 2009 at 16:52.. Reason: email removed as per Owners' Policy
Old 12th January 2009, 16:56
user

My location
Dave, let's hope someone can assist you - I will take a look, but I fear the turtles have been using my uniform for swimming in, and the buttons have all dropped of in the surf.

In passing my apologies for the edit, it was nothing personal, but the Site Policy dictates that personal email addresses are not pubished.

Mark
Old 12th January 2009, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by daishop1 View Post
Hi Everybody.
Im hoping that someone out there will be
able to help me.Im trying to collect buttons
of every Shipping Company I sailed with.One
of the Companies Im short of is Houlder Bros.
Im hoping that one of you may have a button
that they need to get rid of,or maybe advise me
as to where I can obtain one.For what its worth,
I was on just the one ship,the Orelia out from Port
Talbot to North Africa and Narvik and Irlam on the
Manchester Ship Canal.I can also be contacted via Private Message in the first instance

Dave Williams(R583900)
Hi dave.
Have sent a PM to you to arrange posting the item you require.
Regards
Leo
Old 12th January 2009, 17:49
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
Hi dave.
Have sent a PM to you to arrange posting the item you require.
Regards
Leo
Leo, you are a star
Old 12th January 2009, 19:28
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Houlder Brothers Crews

Whew!! That saved me a rummage through the attic.
Old 13th January 2009, 14:49

My location
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd999 View Post
Hi all,

What a great site. Am hoping to find some of you who sailed with my dad Fred Ditty he was an engineer with Houlder Bros for some years from 63. His ships included Joya Mccance (both of them), Clydesdale/Clydebridge, chelwood/oswestry grange, Sholt Stuart, Sir John Hunter, Orelia, Oregis, Tewkesbury, Shaftsbury, Ocean Transport, Royston Grange, Clerk-Maxwell. I dont have dates but will update them later plus any ships I have missed out.

My mum and I had the privilege of joining him on the Clydebridge (3 times I think) between 69 and 72 and on the Oswestry Grange when she was going back and forth between Grangemouth and Holland. A couple of names I know he sailed with are Chris Olsen and Iain Cranston.

Would love to hear from anyone who can remember him.

Jennifer
Hi Jennifer, I sailed on the Clyde Bridge in 1969/70 as Chief Cook and I,m sure your dad was on at the same time. No offence but the name Ditty sticks in my fading memory, I think he was 3rd engineer at the time, sorry its so brief but I,m sure theres plenty more on the site who will remember your dad.
Old 16th January 2009, 21:20

My location
Duquessa & Oregis.

I have been looking at the Houlder threads. Captain Belton did a relief trip on there Oregis to Vitoria, Brazil. From memory he used to write some articles in the Houlder Magazine " The maltese cross comes to...................
I was put on the bridge with my trusty brownie 127 camera to take some pictures entering the harbour. These now make an intersting contrast to views in the Archway video Brazilian voyage showing a large bridge in this area.
Another is Captain Smailes who was captain on my first ship the Duquessa in April 1959. I sailed 3 trips on her before joining the Newbury late in 1959 with Captain Taylor.
It would be wonderful if Houlder crew lists for the fleet exist & somehow be posted so that more memories could be stirred.
Dave Menzies.