Help please - Ships Nostalgia
19:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Help please

User Tag List

Old 31st March 2018, 01:35

Help please

In the very recent past my screen has gone off centre and I cannot read the ends of some sentences.
Down the left hand side I have , recycle bin, Google earth, google chrome and so on but the little arrows which adjust the screen horizontally are absent. So too are the arrows for vertical adjustment. Any advice much appreciated.
Old 31st March 2018, 04:42

You could try pressing the Control Key and rolling the wheel on your mouse at the same time.
It might (or might not help).
Good luck!
Old 31st March 2018, 08:51

Top right you have a line, a box, and an X - Click on the box and see what it does.

Are you using a touch screen? If so use two finger 'pinch' gesture.
Old 31st March 2018, 09:45

Thank you both. I will wait until my PA wakens tomorrow because I know nothing about this kind of stuff. Also wondering why did it happen? I will give a progress report when the chief wakens up. Thank you.
Old 31st March 2018, 15:25

It sounds like your screen resolution has changed and needs to be reset. If you are using Windows 10, this can be done by clicking the Windows Icon in the lower left of your screen, going to Settings, then System. You will be able to reset the screen from here. Are you using Window 10, Windows 8 or another? Good luck, David
Old 31st March 2018, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_485-641 View Post
It sounds like your screen resolution has changed and needs to be reset. If you are using Windows 10, this can be done by clicking the Windows Icon in the lower left of your screen, going to Settings, then System. You will be able to reset the screen from here. Are you using Window 10, Windows 8 or another? Good luck, David
Thanks David. I'm using windows 7.. I'll have a crack at it today.
Old 2nd April 2018, 02:45

Still no change. I'll have to grab a young person.
Old 2nd April 2018, 06:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg grant View Post
Still no change. I'll have to grab a young person.
Careful!!

Taff
Old 2nd April 2018, 07:01

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsell View Post
Careful!!

Taff
Ronnie, I have had similar problems, but in loading the page, and I have to double click on the green header which just pokes its head up from the bottom right corner of my screen for it to fill the screen.
A little different to yours, but have you tried to double-click just above the tool bar?
Yours sounds like you need to re-size the page as I do also because mine has gone the opposite way and the page has shrunk!

Stuff it - time for a drink. Cheers, mate!

Taff
Old 2nd April 2018, 16:35
Administrator

Hey guys what browser are you using? It sounds like your "Zoom" setting is off. It would be set to 100%. Let me know what browser you're using and I'll post instructions to check it.

Niall
Old 5th April 2018, 09:58

Thank you all for the response. Nothing has changed but I can live with it. Next visit from my daughter will sort it out.
Old 5th April 2018, 17:55

I had a similar problem with my desktop computer. The monitor was very old and I found it easier to get a new one. The screen's bigger and the whole unit takes up less space. If you have a laptop, that's a different story.
Old 5th April 2018, 23:20

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ships Nostalgia View Post
Hey guys what browser are you using? It sounds like your "Zoom" setting is off. It would be set to 100%. Let me know what browser you're using and I'll post instructions to check it.

Niall
Thanks, Niall, Google Chrome - I think...

Taff
Old 6th April 2018, 15:26
Administrator

Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing so we can investigate?

- JB
Old 7th April 2018, 07:49

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ships Nostalgia View Post
Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing so we can investigate?

- JB
Wish I could, but no idea how to. However looking at the whole screen, the Google page is on the bottom right, showing about an inch of the header and the left side of the strip is in the middle at the bottom of the page. So all I can see is a one-inch green strip, about three inches long, on bottom right, the rest being out of site.
A double click will bring it back to full screen, or a right click, then 'maximise' also works.

Cheers,

Taff
Old 7th April 2018, 10:13
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
I'm assuming you're using Chrome and Windows (if not, disregard this post.)

To take a screenshot, just press the PrtScr button (usually on the right up by the Pageup Pagedown keys.) This puts a screen shot onto the clipboard. You can then paste that directly into a Paint program (Paint in Windows) and cut out the bits you need to display, save it down and upload it.

Below is an example of a screen shot taken of the Chrome Settings, to get those just click the three vertical dots in the top right hand corner. You can see the Zoom settings half way down the box, with the Full Screen to the right (if you go into that, Press key F11 to get out.)

If you're using a flat screen monitor, look for the 'alignment' setting either in the menu, or sometimes has its own button and press that, but it doesn't sound like monitor misalignment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chromesettings.jpg (49.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 7th April 2018, 11:36

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
I'm assuming you're using Chrome and Windows (if not, disregard this post.)

To take a screenshot, just press the PrtScr button (usually on the right up by the Pageup Pagedown keys.) This puts a screen shot onto the clipboard. You can then paste that directly into a Paint program (Paint in Windows) and cut out the bits you need to display, save it down and upload it.

Below is an example of a screen shot taken of the Chrome Settings, to get those just click the three vertical dots in the top right hand corner. You can see the Zoom settings half way down the box, with the Full Screen to the right (if you go into that, Press key F11 to get out.)

If you're using a flat screen monitor, look for the 'alignment' setting either in the menu, or sometimes has its own button and press that, but it doesn't sound like monitor misalignment.
Bob, thanks for that, I was looking for the paint thingy, got some in the shed, but couldn't find it in Windows and now it's a case of - "Honey, I've shrunk the kids!" as my text has now shrivelled to buggery.
Don't know what I did, so I'll give it another go in the morning when I haven't had any Guinness for a few hours!!

Cheers,

Taff
Old 7th April 2018, 11:52
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Pretty sure Paint is available in all versions of Windows if you haven't got another graphics program.
In Windows 10 it sits under 'Windows Accessories' in the main program window. Also worth trying another browser if you've got one. You'll still have Internet Explorer (also buried in Windows Accessories) and Edge if you're running Windows 10.
Old 8th April 2018, 10:03

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
Pretty sure Paint is available in all versions of Windows if you haven't got another graphics program.
In Windows 10 it sits under 'Windows Accessories' in the main program window. Also worth trying another browser if you've got one. You'll still have Internet Explorer (also buried in Windows Accessories) and Edge if you're running Windows 10.
Bob, thanks, I appreciate your sage advice mate but trying to follow even your explicit instructions on this electronic idiot thingy - W8.1 - I'm sure I'd have more success tinkering with the bloody Tardis! Hi Ho Silver - away...

Taff