Pub Lunch. - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
12:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Pub Lunch.

User Tag List

Old 6th April 2018, 11:10
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
My old man used to cook tripe when I was a kid. Much to the disgust of my old dear, the neighbours in fact the whole council estate.

The smell was science fiction

I never picked up enough courage to try it .
Old 6th April 2018, 11:12

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McGhee View Post
Tripe was never a favourite of mine, but devilled kidneys, or liver, bacon and onions followed by copious amounts of Guinness! Theres a menu for a pub lunch!
You bin lookin in me kitchen winder then?? That's what I cooked for dinner tonight, Don! Yer cud stand yer fork up in the gravy, mate!

Try this with the liver: I cut the lambs fry off on the slant, so thinly, it's almost not there, then dip each piece in flour seasoned with lots of fresh-ground black pepper, and a sprinkle of cumin powder - no salt - then heat in a wide fry-pan, some salted butter with a splash of olive oil so it doesn't burn.
Place four or five slices in the hot, but not burning, butter and after about three (3) seconds, turn with tongs, remove after another 3 seconds and keep just warn, not hot or it'll dry out - the blood should still be running out. Continue with the rest of the liver. (At this juncture, it is permissible to eat a few pieces - try it with bacon for breakfast!)

Proceed with the rest of the dish as usual - lots of near-burnt onions(caramelised, if you're posh), then one oxo cube in a dollop of good red, some home-made chicken stock and when everything is ready, if there is any liver left after sampling, pile it in, gently stirring - that's a job the missus can do while you relax after your grand effort, with a stiff one. Don't let her sample it though, or she'll polish it off when you're not looking. Don't overcook it!! I also use fresh hot chili and shaved ginger, but that's not to everyone's taste.

I mash 50/50 pumpkin and spuds with butter, cream, garlic and black pepper, to soak up the gravy. Great for the heart.

Bon appetit...!!

Taff
Old 6th April 2018, 11:52
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

Taff, if I was to cook as #27 my Pub Lunch would be a Pub Supper and everyone would be flutered and unable to eat. as I thought when starting this thread, a liquid lunch is the way to go.
Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 6th April 2018, 12:15
Department: Navigation
Active: 1965 - 2000

My location
Anything in a basket, except the soup of course.
Old 6th April 2018, 12:22

#25 . Don,t insult the Bank Line

Ian, I've made a career out of insulting the Bank Line. I accept this is immature behaviour but i'm getting counseling for it.
Old 6th April 2018, 13:40
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

A real pub lunch is a ploughman's: A large crusty fresh-baked bread roll smelling of yeast, with lashings of real butter. Then a large slab of mature Cheddar cheese resting on a bed of lettuce, cucumber and tomato and surrounded by crunchy pickled onions (those matured in malt vinegar and cloves, not the pathetic soggy shop bought things in white vinegar). Finally a large dollop of Branston's pickle and a pint or three of good English bitter. Now that is a lunch for a king!

Recipe for real pickled onions if you can't find them in the shops (you can't): Into a large jar peel shallots, then pour in malt vinegar to completely cover the onions. Sprinkle in half a dozen cloves and seal the jar. When the onions are brown they are about ready, but they mature with age like fine wine. Pick them out of the jar when you need them, but don't drain off the vinegar-clove liquid since that too matures and will be ready for the next batch of onions and it will get even better with time.

I boast that I have been doing ploughman's lunches for family over the years, always with my pickled onions that have often been matured for a year or two. It is generally decided that they alone are to die for!
Old 6th April 2018, 14:38
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

So all around to your house Art then??

Geoff
Old 6th April 2018, 14:51
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
So all around to your house Art then??

Geoff
Why not? I have a couple of jars of my pickled onions and my village shop has plenty of vintage Cheddar made in County Wexford. I just can't offer good English bitter as I live in Ireland, but a pint of Smethwicks also goes down quite well and a pint of Guinness even better!
Old 6th April 2018, 15:55
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Have family on two sides of the Wicklow Mountains...May take up the offer!

Geoff
Old 6th April 2018, 16:33
Super Moderator

How many family? I don't have an unlimited supply of pickled onions!
Old 6th April 2018, 16:42

On the escarpment side of the Wicklow Mountains they have very big families, 8 or more. Rest assured they'll eat you out of house and home.
Old 6th April 2018, 19:08

My location
Haggis is a good idea. Of course as any Scot will tell you, it isn't Haggis unless it's out of a can .

(Retreats to bunker .. )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg haggis.jpg (103.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 6th April 2018, 19:25
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993

Hi ES
Sorry for my late input, due to work commitments. In my view there's two ways (or three) you can go about this. You know your company best.

Number one option. As suggested an all liquid affair, but with the saturation of alcohol invariably comes hunger, so Keep some nibbles handy on that one.

Number two option being a bought in affair pre cooked or frozen from your local Supermarket and Iceland. Job done no mess plenty of variety. You can even pick up trays of ready made sandwiches.

But if your all looking for a bit of Nostalgia go for a hot and cold Home cooked mix.
Either a chili or chicken curry. Fried Rice, jacket potatoes, and garlic bread.
On the cold side a plate of mixed cold meats, a few sausage rolls, couple of plate pies, and some salads you can either knock up yourself or get from the local Asda.
You could be adventurous and do devilled kidneys or kedgree depending on the depth of your skills. His a shout if you need any recipes.
Cheers

Last edited by kevjacko; 6th April 2018 at 19:28..
Old 6th April 2018, 22:55
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART6 View Post
I boast that I have been doing ploughman's lunches for family over the years, always with my pickled onions that have often been matured for a year or two. It is generally decided that they alone are to die for!
Art, you sound like an artist, I thoroughly concur. Why are bought pickles so very unpleasant? They all have sugar added in, which should be a capital crime in my opinion.

One supermarket had very big jars of really good pickled onions, brown vinegar, good size, excellent crunch, but they only lasted about a couple of months and have not had them back.
Old 7th April 2018, 02:55
Active: 1965 - 2009

Pub lunch

Was up the gulf at anchor for more than 100 days pizza and beef jalfregee were regular meal items also when beer ran short rationed to 6 cans per man per day until company tanker bought relief supplies
Old 7th April 2018, 07:13
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsell View Post
You bin lookin in me kitchen winder then?? That's what I cooked for dinner tonight, Don! Yer cud stand yer fork up in the gravy, mate!

Try this with the liver: I cut the lambs fry off on the slant, so thinly, it's almost not there, then dip each piece in flour seasoned with lots of fresh-ground black pepper, and a sprinkle of cumin powder - no salt - then heat in a wide fry-pan, some salted butter with a splash of olive oil so it doesn't burn.
Place four or five slices in the hot, but not burning, butter and after about three (3) seconds, turn with tongs, remove after another 3 seconds and keep just warn, not hot or it'll dry out - the blood should still be running out. Continue with the rest of the liver. (At this juncture, it is permissible to eat a few pieces - try it with bacon for breakfast!)

Proceed with the rest of the dish as usual - lots of near-burnt onions(caramelised, if you're posh), then one oxo cube in a dollop of good red, some home-made chicken stock and when everything is ready, if there is any liver left after sampling, pile it in, gently stirring - that's a job the missus can do while you relax after your grand effort, with a stiff one. Don't let her sample it though, or she'll polish it off when you're not looking. Don't overcook it!! I also use fresh hot chili and shaved ginger, but that's not to everyone's taste.

I mash 50/50 pumpkin and spuds with butter, cream, garlic and black pepper, to soak up the gravy. Great for the heart.

Bon appetit...!!

Taff
Sounds great, will give it a go after the weekend when Im off roster. Roll on. Cheers mate.
Old 7th April 2018, 07:29

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McGhee View Post
Sounds great, will give it a go after the weekend when Im off roster. Roll on. Cheers mate.
You'll need to run around the block a few dozen times afterwards though, Don.

I sometimes add a half can of crushed tomato which is a variation for the gravy and a few canned whole tomatoes fried in bacon fat with the liver and bacon for breakfast - a bit of fried bread cleans the plate.

All the above learned at sea from the odd cook - there were a few odd ones!! Cheers.

Taff
Old 7th April 2018, 07:42

"You'll need to run around the block a few dozen times afterwards though, Don."

It would be a good idea to have the Cardiac Ambulance on St-By or St-Bye Bye.
Old 7th April 2018, 08:08
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsell View Post
- a bit of fried bread cleans the plate.

Taff
Used to be a staple food , last in the pan to soak up and absorb all that bacon fat especially if you are cooking the streaky cut.
My mouth Waters at the memories of it all.
Chuck in a block of fried Cheddar and you have found food Eutopia !

Bob
Old 7th April 2018, 08:28

Rumbole always had a fried slice with his breakfast and it did him no harm. My Grandfather, who was at sea all his life, called it creash bread, and today the Ulster Fry has a slice of fried soda.
I'm going to have an Ulster Fry for my breakfast but if I'm caught the wife will kill me.
Old 7th April 2018, 15:46

prawn cocktail .to start.steak in ale with plenty of souce. asparagus .new potatoes.finish with.pears in syrup and ice cream.now thats the modern pub lunch.with a cold lager. works for me .even in my bed now and then as a treat.cheers and enjoy
Old 7th April 2018, 18:11
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1993

Whatever happened to the boiled bacon cabbage and potatoes which used to be the lunch time favourite of pubs in Wicklow and, elsewhere in Eire I assume?
Old 7th April 2018, 18:36

Still available but in many establishments it has been tarted up to be a gourmet meal. I blame Masterchef. Bacon has to be a ham fillet, cabbage has to be savoy or hispi and the white sauce is now referred to as bechemel.
To complicate matters many diners call Eire the Republic of Ireland. Where will it all end?
Old 7th April 2018, 19:07

My location
I knew this country was doomed years ago when I saw chips on a pub menu described as 'French fries.'

I advocated the immediate nuking of the USA and France at the time but alas the spirit of burning down Washington and Waterloo had long since passed.

Old 7th April 2018, 23:34

My location
My mouth is watering from all these "Gormet" menus!! ..... Mine would be plenty of good quality pork pies and "scotch" eggs, chicken or beef "milanesas" cut into cut into "squares for picking up with a fork, lots of good cheese and pickles or chutneys,a selection of sandwiches,some "dips" and a couple of hot plates, and bowls of fresh salads. .......But if the "Guests" were sitting at table it should be more formal .........Why not contact Your local friendly butcher and cook a whole lamb over the coals...... Delicious!!........and a game stopper Good luck