TV/ Internet connection - Ships Nostalgia
08:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

TV/ Internet connection

User Tag List

Old 9th April 2018, 09:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1950 - 1962

TV/ Internet connection

I thought that the following would perhaps interest anyone who has a similar problem.

I bought a BT Set Top Box primarily to enable the recording and play back of TV programmes. It also, of course, enables access to about 120 Freeview transmissions ( which my Sony Bravia does anyway ie without a "Box".)

The setting up process of the Box required an Internet connection to my Router which is located some distance away and it is not practical to interconnect by wire.

The alternative recommendation was to use PowerLine extenders which plug into the mains sockets beside the TV and Router.

I just could not get any easily understandable info on how best to sort this out. Nobody seemed to have any direct knowledge about which Powerline product to use....and there are many.
An approach to a TV / internet guru , and to the store where I bought the Box were not helpful. In fact, the guru told me that the PLs were a poor alternative anyhow.

So I capitulated. The store was good enough to give me a full refund but did attempt to sell me another type of box which did not need a physical connection to the Router. Cost about 3 times as much !! Not on !!

Pete
Old 9th April 2018, 10:06
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Could the box not connect to the router via Wifi ?

I have used mains circuit connectors and have found them to be a bit twitchy.

The type I used back then were TP Link direct plug in. Worked generally ok but if certain other bits of equipment were on that circuit, they had a tendency to 'de-pair' now and again.
Old 9th April 2018, 11:39

TP Link also make 'Range Extenders' - Plug in same as mains circuit version but instead get WiFi signal from your router.
They can re-transmit on a different WiFi channel or provide a plug in connection for devices without built in WiFi card.
Old 9th April 2018, 11:42

tv/internet connections

Hi Bob, A good question and highlights something I don't understand about wifi.

Via the normal TV connection of the TV to an aerial ( great reception via an indoor booster) I have been able to receive BBC iplayer and other channels like Channel 5. Their are also lots of other channels which are on a subscription basis.

The bit I don't understand is that surely the iplayer link is via a wifi signal and therefore why should a further link to the router via hard wire or whatever be required.

I might add that I cannot receive the ITV Hub transmissions but not too interested in pursuing this one.

Pete
Old 9th April 2018, 11:52

Hi landsman, Just spotted your comments.
It is all very complicated isn't it
I heard another comment this morning from a family member who was advised

that his house wiring system was not compatible with the Powerline devices.

Beats me.

Pete
Old 9th April 2018, 13:05

My location
Did the tv box you had have a wifi facility built into it as well as the ethernet port ? If not then you need the wire to connect it to the Internet.

I thought these days those boxes all came with Wifi, which you then have to set up to connect to your router wifi usually via a screen menu.

Most modern Smart TV's have wifi built in also, but then of course you wouldn't need the box.

I'll just let you know a typical setup such as my own. The Smart TV is connected to a normal tv antenna which pulls in all the normal terrestrial channels.

It is also connected to a Sky box via HDMI cable which pulls in the satellite channels via the dish. The Sky box is also connected via it's inbuild wifi to the router, this gives you access to the usual Catch up channels (Iplayer and so on..)

The TV itself has it's own inbuilt wifi and this too is connected to the router which is dual band (2.5 and 5 GHz) so that the TV also connects to the Internet to provide all the Catch up stuff and other odds and ends.

This is a bit overkill, but it means if the Skybox fails all I lose is the actual Sky channels. This happened during that beast from the east weather a few weeks back when the dish became enclosed in a block of ice.

The end result of this is you're forever looking for the right bloody remote controller and spend much of your life pressing the fiddly buttons on them once you've found them.
Old 9th April 2018, 14:26
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1986

My powerline adapter worked OK with my TalkTalk box, the operation of which is rather slow, though to be fair the box was slow even when connected to the router using ethernet, so not a fault of the adapter.

I like the TT box as I can record to it and skip the adverts on replay, about five years old now hopefully the newer ones are better.

Recently purchased Smart TV via wifi is far superior for catch up.

Agreed about the remote controls, how many times have I picked up the wrong one and wondered why nothing is happening.
Old 9th April 2018, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogrumpy View Post

Agreed about the remote controls, how many times have I picked up the wrong one and wondered why nothing is happening.
Ever tried changing the tv channel using the cordless phone?
Old 9th April 2018, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McGouldrick View Post
I don't think that will work.
Old 9th April 2018, 18:19

My location
Had family down last weekend and as usual I gave them full control of what to watch on TV, complete with instructions of how to operate the three remote controllers .. (TV, Sky box and sound system.) Even though his meant I had to watch whatever they watched, which since teenagers were ruling the roost meant f***ing Ant and Dec, without Ant, or Dec … who knows ? … or cares ?

Now there's a belief abounds that kids/teenagers today know far more about electronic gadgets and Internetty stuff that all us old duffers put together. If ever there was a horsesh1t legend that is it (I worked in a secondary school for 12 years, believe me I've seen them do things that makes Chernobyl look like Aunt Daphne getting her jam mix wrong !! )

Getting the controllers mixed up is one thing, but somehow they managed to screw up all three systems on a regular basis in a manner that would have given Alan Turing a hard time.

Fortunately modern systems respond well to the 'power off and power up' scenario, (sometimes described in a rather bullsh1tty way as 'reboot') and after I'd recovered the TV, and realised I'd committed a self inflicted injury because now I'd actually have to suffer Ant and f****** Dec, (without the Ant or Dec … or whatever) I was starting to wonder about the meaning of life, the Universe and everything.

Still … family … isn't that half the fun ?

Last edited by BobClay; 10th April 2018 at 11:29..
Old 10th April 2018, 11:03
Active: 1968 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McGouldrick View Post
No, only because the better half has control of the cordless and it is well out of my reach, but as nobody wants to speak to me anyway (thankfully) it is no great problem.
Old 11th April 2018, 00:12
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
It will if you install the TV App.
Old 11th April 2018, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
It will if you install the TV App.
John - A misunderstanding I think. I was referring to a 'proper' cordless phone, not one of those nasty mobile thingies. (The Devil's spawn).
I have heard rumours that amazing things can be done with them, but I discount them as fairy stories.
Old 11th April 2018, 09:41

My location
The beauty of the mobile phone is when I go for a walk around Tamar Lake the phone tracks me and informs those nice people at Google where I am and what I'm doing and how I got there.

I can then go to the web page and see all this on a map. This is useful because at my age half an hour after I've got back from where I went I've forgotten where I went, or why, so I'm able to see what I've been up to and where I went.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trackpage2.jpg (79.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 11th April 2018, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete8 View Post
I thought that the following would perhaps interest anyone who has a similar problem.

I bought a BT Set Top Box primarily to enable the recording and play back of TV programmes. It also, of course, enables access to about 120 Freeview transmissions ( which my Sony Bravia does anyway ie without a "Box".)

The setting up process of the Box required an Internet connection to my Router which is located some distance away and it is not practical to interconnect by wire.

The alternative recommendation was to use PowerLine extenders which plug into the mains sockets beside the TV and Router.

I just could not get any easily understandable info on how best to sort this out. Nobody seemed to have any direct knowledge about which Powerline product to use....and there are many.
An approach to a TV / internet guru , and to the store where I bought the Box were not helpful. In fact, the guru told me that the PLs were a poor alternative anyhow.

So I capitulated. The store was good enough to give me a full refund but did attempt to sell me another type of box which did not need a physical connection to the Router. Cost about 3 times as much !! Not on !!

Pete
Maybe a bit late for you but buying a freeview box such as Humax does all you want and works using tv aerial. No internet required, just like using the old vcr.
Old 11th April 2018, 11:07
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:

Pete,

Unless the 'some distance away' is many metres, your BT set-top box and router should have no problem in connecting to each other by wi-fi (a radio connection that has a range of some tens of metres).

I have BT equipment and in order to ensure that my TV can get 4K pictures, I use Powerline devices which plug into a normal 3-pin mains socket and connect to the set-top box and the router by means of the ethernet cords supplied with the equipment. My TV's UHD pictures are stunning using this arrangement.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 12th April 2018, 09:25

tv internet connection

Ron,
The straight line and direct distance between the Box and router was about 20 metres, that is , from upper storey to lower storey through three rooms and passage ways. An Ethernet connection would be about 3 times that.
Referring to my previous thread re my comment about my TV receiving iplayer .......am I correct that it receives its signal from the router. If so why not the set top box.

I should probably re purchase the Bt box and give it another try with the Powerline equipment.

Thank you for your reply

Pete
Old 12th April 2018, 09:33

My location
Going from one story to another can be overcome by taking the Ethernet wire outside and then down the wall then back in. I had to do this a couple of times in the school I worked because the floor was impenetrable. On another occasion I had to go into the attic, along to the eaves, and then down to the ground floor.
And you could then shorten it more by terminating in a socket and plug in another Wireless Access Point which would be closer to the box.

Iplayer content is usually delivered via the Internet, so requires a connection to the router.
Old 12th April 2018, 12:38

Yes, thought about routing Ethernet cable externally but necessary holes through window frames frowned upon by landlord !!.
Old 12th April 2018, 12:50

My location
Aaaah OK. Understand that we'll enough.
Old 12th April 2018, 12:54

My router is too far away from the telly for the wifi to be effective, so I bought nine metres of cable. But I have not bored any holes in anything, I just make a neat coil of the cable midway between the router and the telly, when the cable is not needed.
Old 13th April 2018, 00:41

Quote:

Pete

Hi Pete

I use a Sony Bravia TV and BT Youview box with broadband extender flex 1000 kit which has 2 ethernet cable connections. One goes Into TV and the other into Youviewbox. The extenders go into mains socket ground floor lounge and pick up signal via ring main circuit from router to 2nd extender in 1st floor room.
I use BT Infinity 1 (42mb download and 3mb upload) and can watch iplayer, itv, channel 4 etc perfect picture and no drop-outs. Using ring main via ethernet is usually much faster than wifi. I also have BT hub 6 (latest).
Old 13th April 2018, 00:55
Active: 1974 - 1980

Quote:

Pete
To the best of my understanding, Powerline modem relies on the copper medium with the signals are "modulated" and superimposed on it. The issues are: 1) the power sockets may not be on the same line - as this depends on the layout of the wiring. In particular if the house on a three-phase system, wiring could be seperated for different areas in the house. 2) Interference from the appliances. The appliances, particularly when they are switched on and off, pluse some "noisy devices" like motors, may cause interference and this will affect the signals. If possible, try to get a wireless system .. just my two cents.. good luck
Old 13th April 2018, 01:05
Active: 1933 - 1975

Quote:
Ron,
The straight line and direct distance between the Box and router was about 20 metres, that is , from upper storey to lower storey through three rooms and passage ways. An Ethernet connection would be about 3 times that.
Referring to my previous thread re my comment about my TV receiving iplayer .......am I correct that it receives its signal from the router. If so why not the set top box.

I should probably re purchase the Bt box and give it another try with the Powerline equipment.

Thank you for your reply

Pete
Ethernet connections can go 90 metres without a repeater on CAT5 and CAT6 cabling.
Old 13th April 2018, 06:18
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1966

Pete8,
Your original post stated that all you wanted the STB for, was to record programs for later viewing. My smart TV (LG) has the facility to record whatever is playing, via a USB socket on the side. Depending on how old your set is, it should have the same. Apologies if you were already aware of this, and you have already checked.

Brian