Your Discharge Book Number. - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
11:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Your Discharge Book Number.

User Tag List

Old 6th May 2018, 22:51
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Quin-Conroy View Post
Hi fellow ex seafarers,

My discharge Book number is R581468 and the first entry was 6th August 1952 upon signing on as 4th Engineer of the mv Laverock a GSNC coaster running to Hamburg.

I wonder if any ex GSNC guys remember me? Would love to hear from them.

Michael Quin-Conroy.
You must have been just ahead of me in the queue in Dock street,
Old 7th May 2018, 03:30
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1972

My location
Discharge Book Number

My one was issued in Liverpool 1964. Number R822063
Old 7th May 2018, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loptap View Post

Nestling in the back is an "Account of Wages' for my first trip - signed on 19/1/1968 for £12 0s 0d/month and signed off 10/6/1968; earnings £57 4s 0d, Stores & Canteen £58 9s 11d - so had to pay £1 5s 11d to get off the ship!
Sounds like it was a grand trip. My best was doing 7 - 8 months mainly on US East coast in early 70s and paid off with just under £20. (I'm told I had a great time).
Old 9th May 2018, 01:15

Hi Graham.
I have had another look at my fathers discharge book and in the first page as i said two RN ships, one HMS Eagle a carrier I think was sunk in world war two. I never looked beyond the first page , but in the second page he has two VG's but no name for a ship, could be it was one of the Q ships he said he sailed on, maybe no name for security?
Tugger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dads first war.jpg (83.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 9th May 2018, 09:52
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

Hi Tugger.

Great, if I may have the cheek to say so, that you are active after 12 years and that your dear Dad ~ may he continue to rest in eternal peace ~ is the sole reason for your reincarnation. I'm sure he's looking down, with interest, to see what fascinating facts will be forthcoming on this 'Discharge' topic.
Old 10th May 2018, 02:37

moving around

Hi Graham.
Went back to NZ for five years, then came back to Aus, bit of a mistake moving over to NZ; but the fires and drought was giving the wife the Abadan's.
One thing down here in Cooma near the Southern Alps she wont be getting that feeling ha ha.
Cheer Tugger
Old 10th May 2018, 06:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugger View Post
Hi Graham.
Went back to NZ for five years, then came back to Aus, bit of a mistake moving over to NZ; but the fires and drought was giving the wife the Abadan's.
One thing down here in Cooma near the Southern Alps she wont be getting that feeling ha ha.
Cheer Tugger
Top of a Soggy, Surrey AM to you Tugger.

Glad Abadans now a Snowy Mountain Betterun.

Just think you have, now, the entire world at your command through your typing fingers, or finger in my case. Wonder what your Dad would have thought about that?

Cheers, for now. GGG
Old 19th May 2018, 23:18
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsell View Post
March 1947...

Apropos of nothing contained herein, two thirteen-year-old Cardiff lads walked three miles to the Capitol Cinema in the city centre.
It was snowing heavily, but my mate, Tommy Mitchell and myself didn't wear overcoats, they were for cissies. It was a Thursday and we had mitched school to see a cowboy film.
We came out at four o'clock and were surprised to see deep snow, which came up over our knees. It was still snowing, but much heavier than when we went in.
Having left the warmth of the cinema, we realise that it is cold out here as we trundle towards our homes. We also realise that there is very little traffic and the trams aren't running.
The snow became deeper as we fought our way through it and it was a very dark six o'clock before we finally arrived at our homes. I won't mention here what our parents said...

What I didn't know, however - how could I? - a little girl was being born up the road in West Yorkshire, at the very moment we left the cinema.

Twenty-five years later, almost to the day, a group of men were shown to their table in a hotel in Auckland by the maitre d', an attractive, blonde-haired young woman. I ignored the ribald comments, reserved only for attractive, blonde-haired young women. She smiled at me. Then smiled at each of the other five, who had only whispered their ribald comments among themselves.

I began to frequent that dining room with a mate, who knew what I was up to. However, I was getting nowhere with the object of my desire, in spite of my incredibly stunning good looks, until one day, after a particularly long lunch, we passed the lounge room on our way out and there she was, sat by the window - knitting!!

It was her day off and she was knitting something for a girlfriend's sprog. Now, it may seem sneaky, but I got rid of my mate and began a conversation by telling her about my mother's and my sister's skill at this knitting business. It worked but it was another two weeks before she would go out with me, but meanwhile mum and sis had brought me up to date on this arty farty stuff with a couple of needles. It worked!

September 2018

It's Sylvia's and my 46th Anniversary!

Taff
You were pretty slow off the mark Taff! I asked my Kiwi lass to marry me about two weeks after we met! You only got round to taking yours out on a date! She said yes, but I had to “return” to UK first to enable me to return again, legally! 48 years together now, so, like you, a damn good choice.
There’s obviously more to the story, but it is a long, complicated tale.
Slainte, love your story.
Old 20th May 2018, 02:39

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McGhee View Post
You were pretty slow off the mark Taff! I asked my Kiwi lass to marry me about two weeks after we met! You only got round to taking yours out on a date! She said yes, but I had to “return” to UK first to enable me to return again, legally! 48 years together now, so, like you, a damn good choice.
There’s obviously more to the story, but it is a long, complicated tale.
Slainte, love your story.
G'day from Oz, Don! I hope the old girl is still in good shape and still working up a good head of steam - Waimarie, that is! I'm sure your lass at home is well and keeping you in check.
It's good to see you back and posting regularly, mate. Maybe you've got a tale or two for us in our Tusitala thread, about life on the river?

Are there still catches of whitebait being made there, we used to get plenty in the early days on the river.

All the best,

Taff
Old 20th May 2018, 03:56
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
Quote:
G'day from Oz, Don! I hope the old girl is still in good shape and still working up a good head of steam - Waimarie, that is! I'm sure your lass at home is well and keeping you in check.
It's good to see you back and posting regularly, mate. Maybe you've got a tale or two for us in our Tusitala thread, about life on the river?

Are there still catches of whitebait being made there, we used to get plenty in the early days on the river.

All the best,

Taff
Not so much whitebait these days mate, river has been pretty well hammered over the last few years, lots of silt from landslips/bank collapses due to heavy rain and logging.
The pity is that no one seems to care or do anything about it! Hope all with you and yours in Aus.
Slainte
Old 20th May 2018, 21:39

Back to Discharge books.. why does Good = Bad ?

I never did quite work out why 'Good' really meant 'bad'. Mid sixties I got a 'Good' off a Palm boat and had to go onto Norsk's as Matross cos I couldn't then get a deck berth on UK ships (via pool jobs except for Yellow Perils etc.).... It was only given me for going adrift a couple of times in Takoradi & Tema and not bad enough for a DR so WHY did anything except VG actually mean bad? A 'Good' was in reality worse than a VNC.
Old 21st May 2018, 13:52

Your question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin's skipper View Post
I never did quite work out why 'Good' really meant 'bad'. Mid sixties I got a 'Good' off a Palm boat and had to go onto Norsk's as Matross cos I couldn't then get a deck berth on UK ships (via pool jobs except for Yellow Perils etc.).... It was only given me for going adrift a couple of times in Takoradi & Tema and not bad enough for a DR so WHY did anything except VG actually mean bad? A 'Good' was in reality worse than a VNC.
Would refer you to the late, great and sadly missed SN member for his incredible 'Knowledge Nautical', Stan Mayes.

http://www.benjidog.co.uk/recollecti...%20Mayes5.html
Old 22nd May 2018, 01:49

Hi Graham. I forgot when posting my Dad's number to post my own.
R510868 got it in 49.
Cheers Tugger
Old 22nd May 2018, 08:34

#62 The endorsements in the old discharge books as described in Benjidog are correct but omit to mention one other discharge that can be requested if you did not want a Good or DR in your book which was
Endorsement Not Required. I requested this when paying off the Orcades in about 1970 I was told that I was receiving a double DR I argued to no avail that there was nothing wrong with my ability (the Chief Steward agreed) My conduct was terrible due to being adrift 3 times, the third time for 10 days. The Union guy said to ask for an ENR and to argue the finer points before a pool panel.
Old 22nd May 2018, 14:49

Twixt Latitudes 40 and 50 degrees south.

Quote:
R510868 got it in 49.
Cheers Tugger
Seems the 'Forties' ~ roaring or otherwise ~ are prevalent in this thread, which started with my this year 'bull'.

You got your 'number' in '49. Donald McGhee has 'clocked' 48 years and his pal Taff and Sylvia celebrate their 46th this September. Oh yes, nearly forgot, look at the time you made your above post.

Cheers, for now.

GGG
Old 22nd May 2018, 19:59
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Quote:
Hi Graham.
I have had another look at my fathers discharge book and in the first page as i said two RN ships, one HMS Eagle a carrier I think was sunk in world war two. I never looked beyond the first page , but in the second page he has two VG's but no name for a ship, could be it was one of the Q ships he said he sailed on, maybe no name for security?
Tugger
Hi Tugger,
You mention your dad's Dis. A in post 26 as 934622. The page you have attached showing the number is a bit blurred but the second last digit doesn't look like a 2. Can you confirm the number for me please?
I think we know each other from other places

Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”
Old 23rd May 2018, 01:02

My location
Quote:
R510868 got it in 49.
Cheers Tugger
Not far apart, Des, your's R51 - mine R55...

Taff
Old 23rd May 2018, 02:00

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham the pipe View Post
Seems the 'Forties' ~ roaring or otherwise ~ are prevalent in this thread, which started with my this year 'bull'.

You got your 'number' in '49. Donald McGhee has 'clocked' 48 years and his pal Taff and Sylvia celebrate their 46th this September. Oh yes, nearly forgot, look at the time you made your above post.

Cheers, for now.

GGG
... so, when all's said and done, us old sailors are just a bunch of old farts, eh? Well, Graham, we could buy an old tramp and do it all over again. Might need a bunch of young nurses to sail with us to look after our 'health' though!

Taff
Old 23rd May 2018, 07:21

Northbound with a S'ly breeze.

Quote:
... so, when all's said and done, us old sailors are just a bunch of old farts, eh? Well, Graham, we could buy an old tramp and do it all over again. Might need a bunch of young nurses to sail with us to look after our 'health' though!

Taff
Top of a not so sunny, as yesterday, Surrey morning to you Taff.

Like the idea of buying an old tramp; my first two voyages were on war time built 'Park' boats, they weren't tramps but weren't exactly the latest in air conditioned luxury. Check the SN gallery and you'll find Cambray {in Welsh Wales}, Cabano and Egori (air conditioned '57 luxury}.

There's buffet and boofe {B unch O f O ld F arts E h}. I'll drink to that; call it 'the wind of change' that affects you, me anus.

Not sure of your present Lat Long but wherever have a great Wednesday.

GGG
Old 23rd May 2018, 07:48

Hi Hugh.
Yes Hugh; nice to hear from you. The number is 934682 It's on the inside page. First entry is 17-12-17.
Tugger
Old 23rd May 2018, 11:40

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham the pipe View Post
Top of a not so sunny, as yesterday, Surrey morning to you Taff.

Like the idea of buying an old tramp; my first two voyages were on war time built 'Park' boats, they weren't tramps but weren't exactly the latest in air conditioned luxury. Check the SN gallery and you'll find Cambray {in Welsh Wales}, Cabano and Egori (air conditioned '57 luxury}.

There's buffet and boofe {B unch O f O ld F arts E h}. I'll drink to that; call it 'the wind of change' that affects you, me anus.

Not sure of your present Lat Long but wherever have a great Wednesday.

GGG
Hi Graham, we're on the Gold Coast, a little south of Brisbane. Been freezing all day here, it's only been 23C today! We had a long hot summer and anything below 25C is cool.
A few short weeks ago, we were hoping for cooler temps, but now would like it to be up around 28C for comfort.

We are not all high rise and canals - a few shots of the Gold Coast, if you decide to come here, Graham:

https://www.destinationgoldcoast.com/

Better have your heart pills handy:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=g...iw=780&bih=364

GGGLUG

Taff
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:48

Quote:
Hi Graham, we're on the Gold Coast, a little south of Brisbane. Been freezing all day here, it's only been 23C today! We had a long hot summer and anything below 25C is cool.
A few short weeks ago, we were hoping for cooler temps, but now would like it to be up around 28C for comfort.

We are not all high rise and canals - a few shots of the Gold Coast, if you decide to come here, Graham:

https://www.destinationgoldcoast.com/

Better have your heart pills handy:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=g...iw=780&bih=364

GGGLUG

Taff
Hi, again, Taff.

Sure beats the Gold Coast I used to know, later to become Ghana.

19 degrees at the moment ~ a few degrees warmer than my earlier post.

Thanks for the tip about heart pills because if

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XPgBlJmrxEE/hqdefault.jpg

are all there to 'greet me' I'll need 'em to boost the via Niagara.

Like the 'Lug' on the abbreviated signature for Great Granddad Graham. Here's a link to some 'history' of, now Sunny, Caterham on the Hill.

https://www.caterham-independent.co....d-local-histor...

Happy Glugging.

GGG
Old 23rd May 2018, 18:55
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Quote:
Hi Hugh.
Yes Hugh; nice to hear from you. The number is 934682 It's on the inside page. First entry is 17-12-17.
Tugger
Hi Tugger,

I may have mentioned this before but just in case you do not have it. I have found the medal file for him and he was a member of the Mercantile Marine Reserve.

During 1916-1920 the Mercantile Marine Reserve (MMR) was used to engage officers and seamen on board vessels employed on government service. The crews of vessels commissioned as auxiliaries by the Admiralty were signed on under a T.124 agreement, whereby they agreed to serve in any commissioned vessel, but retained aspects of their civilian pay and benefits.

They were much aligned with the Royal Naval Reserve and served in all types of ships including troopships, armed merchant cruisers etc. Your mention of Q ships and the like would hold water as he would be employed effectively by the Royal Navy. Sadly there appears to be little in the way of surviving records for these men.

Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”
Old 11th June 2018, 18:04
Department: Purser
Active: 1950 - 1960

My number is R 536228 issued 26 July 1950. Nothing too exciting, apart from a note re Efficiency as a Lifeboatman. Read the Important Notice on Page 2, frightening. Bob Appleton
Old 11th June 2018, 18:55

Picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by appbob View Post
My number is R 536228 issued 26 July 1950. Nothing too exciting, apart from a note re Efficiency as a Lifeboatman. Read the Important Notice on Page 2, frightening. Bob Appleton
Sorry no 'exciting' news in your 'number' appbob. Your 68th anniversary next month and my 50th ~ of 'sentencing' ~ which was what prompted me opening this thread.

Should there be a photo of your book? Can't see one on my screen.

Kindest to you and yours. GGG