Frederick M - Ships Nostalgia
04:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Frederick M

User Tag List

Old 25th August 2018, 10:30

Frederick M

Has anyone any information about this tanker from the Metcalf fleet.
Where was she built, and the years she was in the fleet.
Is she still operational.
Old 25th August 2018, 20:02

Frederick M is now Pacsa 1, registered in Valparaiso.
Ex Names: Frederick M, Tyne Fisher
Managers / Owners: Gestión Integral Proyectos
Built: Scheepswerf Waterhuizen J. Pattje of Waterhuizen, Netherlands Hull Nº: 344
Build start: 31 August 1979 Keel laid: 5 November 1979 Date of launch: 25 April 1980 Date of delivery: 14 August 1980

Photo here;
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/...php?lid=466551

Regards,
Pat
Old 26th August 2018, 09:34

Thanks for all that info, she was not the usual type of vessel run by Metcalf, or later Coe-Metcalf.
Old 27th August 2018, 21:37

She certainly wasn't anything like that Peter M I sailed in back in 1963. That ship was one of my worst experiences in the MN.
Pat
Old 2nd September 2018, 11:40
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
She certainly wasn't anything like that Peter M I sailed in back in 1963. That ship was one of my worst experiences in the MN.
Pat
Always thought that Metcalf's should have used A Stetson as a funnel marking! Lol!
Old 2nd September 2018, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winmar View Post
Always thought that Metcalf's should have used A Stetson as a funnel marking! Lol!
What the Peter M did have on the funnel was an inverted chip pan basket perched on top. They called it a spark guard. It came off in heavy weather off Douglas one afternoon and bounced off the lifeboat and hit one of the ABs on his shoulder, breaking it. We had to land him in Douglas. I wished that the damned thing had hit me instead so I could get off that piece of sh1t!
Pat
Old 2nd September 2018, 16:49

I think Metcalfs took over two BP tankers and one was renamed Frederick M and the other David M. That would have been in the late eighties or early nineties.
Old 20th September 2018, 12:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
What the Peter M did have on the funnel was an inverted chip pan basket perched on top. They called it a spark guard. It came off in heavy weather off Douglas one afternoon and bounced off the lifeboat and hit one of the ABs on his shoulder, breaking it. We had to land him in Douglas. I wished that the damned thing had hit me instead so I could get off that piece of sh1t!
Pat
Best to do 11 trips.One out and one back.
A mini tanker port was built at Faslane, just next to Metal Industries (now the Submarine base), in the early 1960's and I can remember the Peter M calling on several occasions. We never knew what the purpose of this berth was, it was used so seldome.