Windows 10 - Ships Nostalgia
05:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Windows 10

User Tag List

Old 26th November 2018, 13:40

Windows 10

My local computer expert has advised me to upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 because MS are no longer supporting Win 7.
I remember hearing lots of negative thoughts about Win 10 when it first came out and so have ignored it since.
Is it better now and is it advisable to upgrade ?
Old 26th November 2018, 16:28
King Ratt

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by George.GM View Post
My local computer expert has advised me to upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 because MS are no longer supporting Win 7.
I remember hearing lots of negative thoughts about Win 10 when it first came out and so have ignored it since.
Goodday George.

I am still using a Windows 7 laptop and it does all I need in way of letter writing, label printing etc. My wife has a Windows 10 job and I find, as she does, that it is a pain in the neck. Far too complicated for my simple brain although I did do a course on Win 10, 8 hours in total. I am still bewildered by it and although support for Win 7 is not continuing it is probably necessary to upgrade for protection from viruses and suchlike. I do most of my online stuff, emails, SN, RFA stuff etc, with my most trusty iPad. That has never let me down.

All the Best

Rab T
Old 26th November 2018, 16:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Microsoft are supporting and are going to support Win 7..

From the net..........

"Microsoft is to extend support for Windows 7 - at a price - when the operating system reaches end of life (EOL) on 14 January 2020".

Cheers Frank
Old 26th November 2018, 16:33

Quote:
When you upgrade to Windows 10 you will notice with some annoyance that where you click while navigating around has changed. It takes a bit of getting used to. You will also find changes in the way that your computer receives updates. There are several bits and bobs that will annoy you at first. The bottom line is, is that Windows 7 will no longer be supported. So in the end you will have to upgrade. I myself do not like it, but grin and bare it.
Old 26th November 2018, 17:40
Department: Navigation

I use Windows 10 and moved here from Windows XP. Once I turned off all the stupid things nudging me to use Cortana, store all my stuff on the Cloud, use Edge and so on I find it quite user friendly. I am not a power user, I want my computer to run programs, not be my pal and chat with it. It's complete lack of discipline with putting files in "libraries" when they are carefully put in a folder structure is hard to take, but you will get there in the end, bite the bullet and start now, I say.
Old 29th November 2018, 23:54

Quote:
You do not need to update unless you really want to.

My wife is still using a windows XP machine because her genealogy programme won't work in Windows 10.

I can still update the anti virus without any problems.

For what you pay to update, you can buy a used Windows 10 machine.
<>
Sunny Ocala FLA USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/
Old 30th November 2018, 00:46
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1969

I have a variety of laptops, one still running Win95, two with WinXP, one very new with Win10 which I am still getting my head around but it's a lot better now that I have downloaded and run "Classic Shell", it makes the desktop and explorer run like WinXP. The Win95 still runs legacy radio programmes that wouldn't run on XP even! AND it will run GW-Basic so that I can write my own (very simple) programmes. This desktop runs Win7 and another in the hobbies room running XP - most of them talk to each other except the Win 95. Virus writers surely don't bother with geriatric systems like mine!

Microsoft support? Only on the Win10. Everything else runs very nicely without any outside interference thanks. They keep telling me that they have updates for Win7 but as soon as I install them, it fails to start on next turn-on. Fortunately I always make a 'restore point' first.

Last edited by majoco; 30th November 2018 at 00:48..
Old 30th November 2018, 01:07

Microsoft and Windows 7

Microsoft is supporting Windows 7 until 14th January 2020 so if you are happy with it my recommendation is to stick with it until you have to change.

I have many office and home clients I support and I recommend this to them all.
Old 30th November 2018, 06:50

Next time I get a computer I will get a Mac. This Windows 10 is an insult, even when using the book "Windows 10 for Idiots" it is a nightmare. It seems to have a mind of its own and does some weird things with your files.
Old 1st December 2018, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
I use Windows 10 and moved here from Windows XP. Once I turned off all the stupid things nudging me to use Cortana, store all my stuff on the Cloud, use Edge and so on I find it quite user friendly. I am not a power user, I want my computer to run programs, not be my pal and chat with it. It's complete lack of discipline with putting files in "libraries" when they are carefully put in a folder structure is hard to take, but you will get there in the end, bite the bullet and start now, I say.
I'm fairly ancient and a bit thick with computers but I agree with you. I can't remember how long I've had this computer, years, but my son set me up with Windows 10 from then and I've had no trouble since. Like you, I leave it alone, except for my needs.
Old 2nd December 2018, 21:59

Windows 10

I junked my Windows machines years ago and went to the 'dark side' with a MacBook Pro, what a revelation! Never looked back since. I can still run 'Microsoft' programmes on my Mac so I've got the best of both worlds.
Old 20th December 2018, 09:42
Department: Navigation
Active: 1950 - 1962

Windows 10 and Wordpad

There must be a great many PC users like my wife and me who are very small players in the desk top computer world. Our Windows 10 system is barely scratched ..a couple of online accounts, family photos, the odd email, some online foraging ( Wikipedia etc) and 2 or 3 Forum memberships.
We were , however, completely bozzled when it failed to start up one morning......a blue screen with nothing on it and nothing happening.

We trundled it in to our local John Lewis who eventually got it going again with some sort of " Recovery" programme. Why did it stop working ?. The JL fixer reckoned that a Microsoft up date programme might have been interrupted by the user ..which PCs don't like....he said.. Has anybody else experienced or heard of this.

Regarding WORDPAD. My hobby is scratchbuilding miniature merchant ships....I found out much to my delight and amazement that Wordpad ( included by default with Windows 10) will produce a font size of 2 or even less points and that my cheap Epson will print perfectly. Wordpad was included with the XP setup we used but it stuck at about 4 points!!.

Pete.
Old 21st December 2018, 10:41

My location
ITs known as the bluse screen of Death so i'm told, and if you interupt updates it can be a problem, some times its also occurs because it doesnt like other programs, also if you try to update using firefox or duck, it can be a problem.
Old 21st December 2018, 18:06
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/attac...1&d=1545415601

geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windows.jpg (203.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 29th December 2018, 05:25
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Deck
Active: 1963 - Present

I've twice tried 10 for about a month both times. Never again. I'm going to run 7 until the end. I'm running a couple other computers with different OS to see what I like best. But I'm done with Microsoft. There are options. If your computer is used for mostly browsing, email, and apps like Microsoft office, Linux will easily work. Some versions are very windows 7/XP like. They're supposed to work well for gamers, too.
There is a software in the works called ReactOS - https://www.reactos.org/
It's currently free, currently runs most windows apps, and uses far less memory than 10. In the final version, it's planned to run all PC software. ReactOS and Linux both run well on old computers, too.
There are replacements for MS Office, too. I use Apache Open Office. Very much like MS Office. Opens MS Office documents. Free to download.
Also, my main computer is new with a cpu not supported (supposedly) by 7, but with a little trouble, it works fine. Microsoft has put out a lot of false info trying to get people to install 10. All of it BS.
Old 29th December 2018, 06:27
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1956 - 1970

Must be unusual, I have had Windows 10 since it became available, seems to run OK for me,mind you I quite liked the Redifon 50M