Texaco Maracaibo - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
12:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Texaco Maracaibo

User Tag List

Old 5th August 2006, 17:40

Exclamation

anyone ever thought of *asking* Texaco what happened? And if they deny knowledge, there are other ways of finding out..
Old 5th August 2006, 17:56
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Lightbulb Good Idea

vampteq,
Good idea! Give it a shot and let us know how you get on.
Old 5th August 2006, 18:23
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampteq
anyone ever thought of *asking* Texaco what happened? And if they deny knowledge, there are other ways of finding out..
Unfortunately Texaco do not exist any longer as a Shipping company. They merged several years ago with Chevron and became known as Chevron Texaco. Last year when I was working in Chevrons main office in Huston, Texas it was decided that the Texaco part of the name will no longer appear.As with the name the records were moved and the webpages ceased to be produced. The only time you will see the old logo Chevron Texaco will be on the Stationary as they reckon on it taking another 3 years to be used all up and completely out of service. The old shipping records dissapeared in 2 weeks

Last edited by gdynia; 5th August 2006 at 18:27..
Old 8th August 2006, 10:19

My location
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampteq
In view of the many avenues which seem to have been explored, I'm somewhat intrigued by your comment: "there are other ways of finding out".
Would you care to enlighten us to what they are, or perhaps once you've found them, you could share them with us??
Old 11th August 2006, 03:59
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Wink Texaco Maracaibo - snippets

Folks,

Texaco Maracaibo experienced six reportable incidents before her eventual disposal in 1978. Sadly information is sketchy. There was indeed a reportable incident in June 1965 but, whatever it was, it was classed as not serious!

June 1965
Hull/Machinery damage
Not serious
On voyage
At sea
No assistance
Continued on voyage

June 1966
Hull/Machinery damage
Not serious
On voyage
At sea – Western Mediterranean
Diverted from voyage

September 1966
Hull/Machinery damage
Not serious
On voyage
At sea
Assistance given
Continued on voyage

January 1970
Hull/Machinery damage
Not serious
On voyage
At sea
No assistance
Continued on voyage

April 1973
Hull/Machinery damage
Serious
On voyage
At sea – US Eastern Seaboard
Assistance given
Towed

August 1973
Hull/Machinery damage
Not serious
On voyage Brunsbuttel to Piraeus
At sea – English Channel
Diverted from voyage

December 1978
Broken Up: Tung Ho Steel Enterprise Corp., Kaohsiung

Last edited by Gulpers; 11th August 2006 at 04:15..
Old 11th August 2006, 04:07

My location
Ray, that last one on December 1978 sure was a serious one!!!!
Old 11th August 2006, 04:15
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Derek,
By that time, it was probably a 'kindness' to put her down!
Old 11th August 2006, 08:59

My location
Gentlemen;

As I mentioned in post #23 , I may have read it in one of Richard Cahill's excellent
books "Groundings and their causes".
Anyone have (or can get hold of ) a copy ?.

I remember at the time , the book - together with the sister volume "Collisions and
their causes " made facinating reading.

Also remember that whwre I read the article , their was also a reproduction of the
chart showing what happened.

JC
Old 11th August 2006, 10:22

Texaco Maracaibo

Texaco Overseas Tankships (TOT) have a link for their British Flag personel and ships at

http://www.tota.co.uk/index.php?page=1

I mention this because of the interest in the "Maracaibo". There is a charge of ten quid to become a member, though, (which may diminish the interest a bit!) and that MAY get you to talk with someone who MAY know more of the story, nothing guaranteed, though. I mention this because of the 10 quid! This was a Panam flag ship and is not on their list but all their British flag ships, both Caltex and Texaco, are listed (free) with photos and details, if anyone is interested.
Split
Old 11th August 2006, 10:41

Texaco Maracaibo

Anyone visiting the ships section of TOT will be interested in the Texaco Great Britain-. I'm glad I didn't sail in her, my days were with Caltex. We had more fun up and down the Australian coast in the T-2's, while the prestige of sailing 200,000 tonners seems to be mingled with fond memories of bits falling off. No thanks.

The pity of the Great Britain, though, is that she was built on the Tyne by Swan Hunter. Not a good example of British shipbuilding, I'm afraid.

Split
Old 9th April 2011, 07:52

Maricobo

I can clearly being shown a news photo by the Chief Stwd.on a Shell H Class of a something Maricabo hitting the bridge to the entrance to the lake,that would have been about '64/'65.

Len Mazza R621945
Old 9th April 2011, 10:06

Maracaibo

Gentlemen, the following may be of interest.

Google GENERAL RAFEEL URDANETA BRIDGE

The bridge over the lake mouth.

Scroll to HISTORY and click on ship collision.
the page USS NARRAGUAGAS appears.

Scroll to post war decommissioning and ESSO MARACAIBO is mentioned as hitting bridge in 64 0r 65 etc.

Hope this helps

best regards Malky
Old 9th April 2011, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malky Glaister View Post
Gentlemen, the following may be of interest.

Google GENERAL RAFEEL URDANETA BRIDGE

The bridge over the lake mouth.

Scroll to HISTORY and click on ship collision.
the page USS NARRAGUAGAS appears.

Scroll to post war decommissioning and ESSO MARACAIBO is mentioned as hitting bridge in 64 0r 65 etc.

Hope this helps

best regards Malky

I googled that,and I see that the poster of the WIKIPEDIA article,as sometimes happens,is wrongly informed.

The article refers to the ex-gasoline tanker m.t.USS NARRAGUAGAS
of 1,453 dwt.as hitting the bridge. She was enamed ESSO MARACAIBO on being decommissioned and sold in 1947,but had been sold and renamed twice )(in 1956 and 1961 as YURTIA and SARITA)long before the accident in 64.
She is not the one that hit the bridge then.

No it wasthe s.t.ESSO MARACAIBO (Venezuelan Flag) which hit the Bridge and was a much bigger tanker( 35,601 dwt.) built in 1959.

After the accident in 64 she was rebuilt and jumboised to 40,925 dwt.
She was renamed LAGOVEN MARACAIBO in 76 and broken up in Kaohsiung 20.6.85

There is a picture of the accident and details on the excellent Auke Visser site.
http://www.aukevisser.nl/others/id384.htm

Last edited by Wribbenhall; 9th April 2011 at 16:52..
Old 9th April 2011, 20:21
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1982

Found a couple of pics, one of the "Texaco Version
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20...acaibo-02.html
The other of the "Esso" Version
http://www.aukevisser.nl/others/id384.htm

Using a Scottish expression "a wee bit different"
Old 9th April 2011, 22:23

Nice one Wribbenhall, I had recalled something about the bridge and the ***** Maracaibo and Googled it but obviously not as significant as I thought. So we are still none the wiser about the Texaco version for which Burntisland produced a nice picture ( Butterworth bleeder overside).

Regards Malky
Old 17th April 2011, 17:02

Hi I remember a news story about a Texaco Tanker where there was an explosion and the midships was blown clean off allowing the 2nd officer the unique position of being in command as the ship sailed away from him.
Old 18th April 2011, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarky Cut View Post
Hi I remember a news story about a Texaco Tanker where there was an explosion and the midships was blown clean off allowing the 2nd officer the unique position of being in command as the ship sailed away from him.

Well,I don't know about that, but a similar scenario certainly happened to the STANVAC JAPAN in 1958.

The story is on this site(just use Search), but I have condensed the story here from those posts.
On Sunday 19th October 1958 the Stanvac Japan ,in ballast from Bombay to Ras Tanura,suffered a severe explosion whilst 160 miles south-west of Karachi. Seventeen crew died including seven British . The remaining 53 crew were rescued by the Panamanian tanker Patricia on Stanvac charter.
The Japanese tanker Shinyo Maru with doctor aboard went to assist,as did an Indian Navy cruiser with doctors and nurses aboard.
The tanker was reported to be insured for £.1.5 M.

There were 17 British Officers and 53 Indian Seamen aboard.

The Master,4 Officers ,2 Apprentices and 10 of the Seamen were killed.

Surviving 2nd Officer( Gordon Allely of Moseley,Birmingham)walked off the bridge ’midship superstructure which had been blown off the hull into the sea) and swam ½ mile back to the disabled ship; he was on watch on the midships bridge at the time. The explosion blew the entire bridge structure overboard and Gordon got to his feet to see the ship sailing on ,belching smoke. Gordon escaped from the bridge by smashing a window with his bare hands ( all the doors were jammed shut) he found another person in the water but could not support that person long enough for rescue .

Probable cause was two explosions #5 Centre and #8 Stbd tanks during tank cleaning.explosion.The conclusion was the Butterworth tank cleaning process built up static and caused the explosion. The Buttterworth cleaning process was ceased throughout the fleet.
Cause was thought but not proven to be cages holding manganese anodes used at the time falling due to corrosion and anodes striking the deck causing explosions.
The Court of Inquiry held on 12th -15th Oct 1959, was unable to ascertain the probable cause of the explosion owing to the absence of any direct evidence, as all involved on the bridge (except the 2nd Officer)and deck were killed.

W.B.H.
Old 18th April 2011, 09:49
Department: Deck

Texaco Maracaibo ID No. 6420252, completed Belfast 14/1/65, broken up Kaohsung 6/12/78. A number of images on Google.
Old 26th January 2016, 17:14

Texaco Maracaibo

I have several photographs of this ship taken as it entered dry dock
In Greenock, on the river Clyde in 1964.
I was looking at old photographs I took while working on the new drydock with a view to putting a different ship onto a local community website. If I can be given help on how to post them as I have just joined I will do so after I convert them to digital. It was a very large ship for its time and must have fitted in to the dock with little remaining space.
Old 15th March 2017, 01:55

I was 17 in 1964 and was visiting relatives in Belfast who had worked at H&W. We went to see the Texaco Maracaibo being launched. I wondered what had happened to it and now I know.
Old 9th March 2018, 17:32

I have been going through my ships photos and came across a picture I took at night of the Texaco Maracaibo in Inchgreen Drydock Greenock. If I remember correctly she was the first ship in the new dock. She wasn't meant to be but needed urgent repairs. That would have been about 1967/68. I will post a picture over the weekend
Old 15th December 2018, 15:20

I believe the incident involving the Texaco Maracaibo was in April 64 when she collided with, ironically, the Maracaibo bridge in Venezuela. Several vehicles did not stop in time and ended up either in the lake or on the deck of the ship.