BP female Navigation Cadets - Page 9 - Ships Nostalgia
21:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BP female Navigation Cadets

User Tag List

Old 24th April 2018, 18:20

There is a Simon & Alison Rawlinson living in Skipton North Yorkshire.
Old 28th April 2018, 16:05
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993

I sailed with Mary Jane Slaven twice, Scottish girl from the Isle of Bute, she was smashing to sail with, and another called Sheena, surname could be Nesbitt, actually the same time as I sailed with Mary Jane. That one was on one of the river boats doing MOD charter, either the Tamar, or the Wye. Both went on to marry Sparky's as far as I know. Not sure what became of them long term though.
Old 28th April 2018, 16:35
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
I sailed with Mary Jane Slaven twice, Scottish girl from the Isle of Bute, she was smashing to sail with, and another called Sheena, surname could be Nesbitt, actually the same time as I sailed with Mary Jane. That one was on one of the river boats doing MOD charter, either the Tamar, or the Wye. Both went on to marry Sparky's as far as I know. Not sure what became of them long term though.
I sailed with Sheena Nesbitt, on the Poplar. She was the 2nd mate at the time. It was the time of one of BP's culls ! and the Poplar was sold to the Italians, during this time ! I think Sheena was a victim of this particular cull !
Old 28th April 2018, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekelly10 View Post
I sailed with Sheena Nesbitt, on the Poplar. She was the 2nd mate at the time. It was the time of one of BP's culls ! and the Poplar was sold to the Italians, during this time ! I think Sheena was a victim of this particular cull !
Hi Steve,
I know Mary Jane's husband left to join P&O, I'm pretty sure he was from up my neck of the woods possibly Wylam, the birth place of George Stephenson.
Old 28th April 2018, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
Hi Steve,
I know Mary Jane's husband left to join P&O, I'm pretty sure he was from up my neck of the woods possibly Wylam, the birth place of George Stephenson.
Hi Kev. Think I also sailed with Mary Jane too ? Think it was on the Respect, earlier on her career.
Old 30th April 2018, 17:32
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekelly10 View Post
Steve,

Sheena Nesbet was 3M in Poplar Oct 1982 ( Which was sold in 1982 to 'the' Italians), but was also 3M on the Tamar (with 3M Mary Jane Slaven) April 1985.

Graham
Old 30th April 2018, 20:35

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
Steve,

Sheena Nesbet was 3M in Poplar Oct 1982 ( Which was sold in 1982 to 'the' Italians), but was also 3M on the Tamar (with 3M Mary Jane Slaven) April 1985.

Graham
Yep, was the Tamar I sailed with both of them together, we did mod charter Falkland run with HMS' Brazen and Diomede (I think). Prince Andrew was on the Brazen. There was a sort of officer exchange thing went on Mary Jane went over to the Brazen, I remember asking her tongue in cheek if she had met Prince Andrew, and whether he had shown her round his chopper. (well she found it funny at the time anyway)
Old 1st May 2018, 17:45

Quote:
Steve,

Graham
Cheers Graham. I could have sworn Sheena was 2nd mate during this time, as she was on the 12 to 4 watch, as was I. Obviously my grey matter is not what it use to be !

Steve
Old 3rd February 2019, 14:16
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Quote:
Derek possessed an OND ( in Mech Eng?) and started as BP NC 1970, but I do not know whether he practiced in the Engineering field.
Whatever made you take an Engineering Degree ?
Graham
Only just seen this posting Graham, I was checking through the thread as I have been chatting to ClareT who lives not a million miles away from me here in Devon.

Yes, my OND was in Mech Eng - I was all set to stay on at Churston Grammar for another two years in the sixth form but the Careers Teacher had other ideas! Instead he recommended the OND in Mech Eng at the South Devon Technical College which was then in Torquay. I struggled through the course and passed, never got any position anywhere which the diploma was required for - and ended up with no idea what to do until I saw an advert for BP Deck Cadets in Dad's copy of the Daily Mail!
Applied, interviewed in London at BH and got a place - that was it!!
Old 11th February 2019, 13:08
Ex marine truck driver
Active: 1968 - 1992

I sailed with Nina, possibly on her first trip, I'm not sure. I was 2/O and had my wife sailing with me. I have a very poor quality photo in my computer of a work party on the foc'sle. My wife, Nina, and the extra Mate Des O'Brien trying to convince that they are doing something useful to the anchor cables.

A name not mentioned yet is Stephanie (surname?). I sailed with her on the Hazel in 1979, me as 2/O and Steph as 3/O. She was married to a BP 2/O called John Hannam, who was sailing with her as supernumerary. I'm pretty sure she was sailing under her maiden name which I have forgotten.

She was still on board when I paid off in Purfleet , date looks like 11th September 1979, which might help Graham find her on a crew list. I would probably recognise her surname if it was found.

John was from the Plymouth area, my wife worked with his mother when I was doing one of my tickets.
Old 13th February 2019, 17:39
Active: 1955 - 1962

Geoff,

Bryant was her name, she was on the Hazel until Oct '79.
I cannot make your connection with Nina, I have both your seatimes.

Long time since we were last in touch 2013, not sure I have your up to date email.

Graham
Old 14th February 2019, 08:20
Ex marine truck driver
Active: 1968 - 1992

Hi Graham. Well I must claim ageing brain cells, dementia, lousy photo, whatever works in my favour!
I thought it was Nina in the photo, but I could be wrong. Sorry. Now I'm wondering who it was. I was pretty sure it was a first tripper.
I'm glad you found Steph in your crew list, another one to add to your records.
My email hasn't changed.
Cheers, Geoff.
Old 5th May 2019, 22:06
Active: 1976 - 1982

I thought she was called Stephanie Broster. Paid off with her from the Isle of Grain in 1980
Old 21st June 2019, 16:18
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Interesting article in the latest BP magazine, "First among equals: BP's women engineers" .... scroll down the page and they feature Nina Baker - BP Shipping's first female engineer cadet!

Really - I thought she was a Deck Cadet!!

https://www.bp.com/en/global/corpora...g%20Day%202019
Old 21st June 2019, 16:58
Active: 1971 - 1986

First rule of journalism: Never let the facts get in the way of a good story!