Cornucopia, ex Sister Katingo - Ships Nostalgia
07:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cornucopia, ex Sister Katingo

User Tag List

Old 19th April 2009, 14:04

Cornucopia, ex Sister Katingo

We have a member who is attempting to find a picture of an oil tanker, the 'Cornucopia', for an old seafaring friend who sailed on her in the 1970s and who does not have a computer.
I'm unable to find a copy online and wonder if a member has a photo of the ship that he/she can upload to the Gallery or EMail to me.
Or point to a picture on the web.
That would be much appreciated.
She was built at Bethlehem, San Francisco as the 'Sister Katingo' in 1958 and was later renamed 'Cornucopia'. Broken up in 2000.
Owners included Keystone Shipping and Union Oil.
Many thanks,
Bruce
Old 2nd May 2019, 15:33

Sister Katingo > Cornucopia

I worked at Northwest Marine Iron Works shipyard when the Sister Katingo was converted to the Cornucopia. They cut the engine room off the Sister Katingo and welded it to a new forebody. But it became an LNG tanker as I recall. That was in 1977-1978. I was a trainee in the marine electrical shop....seeing the Katingo cut in half and the stern rewelded onto a new forebody was something I'll never forget.
Old 2nd May 2019, 17:53

Cornucopia

grt 20549.built 1958 by Bethlehem Pacific Coast San Francisco. as SISTER KATINGO.renamed 1978 CORNUCOPIA.scrapped China 2000.
Old 2nd May 2019, 20:05
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2010

Cornucopia was a regular caller at Sacramento and Stockton with liquid ammonia used for fertilizer. I piloted her to both destinations on many occasions.