Globtik Tankers - Page 6 - Ships Nostalgia
09:35

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Globtik Tankers

User Tag List

Old 4th April 2017, 17:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - 1978

If anyone is interesed there is a group page on Facebook pertaining to the Globtik London and Tokyo
Old 5th April 2017, 08:45
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

Hi Nessie,

Thank you very much for that information. I don't suppose you can recall the name of the crew member who took the ship out?

I shall take a look at the Facebook website that you mentioned.

Vicki D.

Vicki D
Old 17th April 2017, 18:54
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 2000 - Present

Hello,

I just read through some of these posts about the Globtik-Times on board and I thought that maybe one can give me a hint where to find plans of one of these two tankers. I am going to build a small scale display model of one of them and seeking shipyard plans (GA Plans and linesplans/bodyplans, or hull construction plans of foreship, stern, aft, engine area and midship). I searched through the digital archive of the Greenwich Maritime Museum, without result. I expected something there, since first of all it is located in UK and second, they keep a very large collection of merchant vessel plans.
There is a large model displayed in a technical museum in UK, but I doubt they do have drawings.
At the moment I do not recall any other archive that could keep some drawings of them. Great looking vessels with typical Japanese design. I wonder how the interior was, the accommodation.

Cheers,

Axel
Old 17th April 2017, 22:31
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Hello,

I just read through some of these posts about the Globtik-Times on board and I thought that maybe one can give me a hint where to find plans of one of these two tankers. I am going to build a small scale display model of one of them and seeking shipyard plans (GA Plans and linesplans/bodyplans, or hull construction plans of foreship, stern, aft, engine area and midship). I searched through the digital archive of the Greenwich Maritime Museum, without result. I expected something there, since first of all it is located in UK and second, they keep a very large collection of merchant vessel plans.
There is a large model displayed in a technical museum in UK, but I doubt they do have drawings.
At the moment I do not recall any other archive that could keep some drawings of them. Great looking vessels with typical Japanese design. I wonder how the interior was, the accommodation.

Cheers,

Axel
Hi Axel,

Perhaps the firm in Japan that built the Globtik might be able to help with your search. If you Google Globtik and go to the entry on Wikipedia it gives all the details re the firm that built it, they are now known as IHI Corporation. Hope this helps.

Maybe some of the members of this site who were crew members will contact you with further information.

Good luck with your search.

Vicki D
Old 19th April 2017, 14:32
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 2000 - Present

Hello Vicky,

thanks for your reply! I did a search on the IHI website, but I cannot get to find a link to their shipping field. I even do not know if they are still active with shipbuilding, at least the site in Kure. Miramar Ship Index gives 2017 built vessels by another yard name, maybe it is still the same in Kure. Through records I found that both vessels were all the time under NK class. Maybe this is a way to get to the basic plans, but I doubt they will provide anything, anyway it is worth a try.

Cheers,

Axel
Old 27th January 2018, 20:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Medical
Active: 1971 - 1979

Hi all ex officers of Global London and Tokyo from 1975 to 79 want to get in contact. I live in Cyprus.
Old 14th June 2019, 21:26

Hello my name is Paul Gregory, I am the youngest son of Geoff Gregory and sailed on both the Venus and London as a small boy with my family. I stumbled across this site whilst doing some searching to show my children. I have noticed lots of people asking for photos, I have my parents collection and it looks like one great big party! And that’s how I remember it friendly and fun. I can post some - but where too?

Cheers
PG
Old 28th June 2019, 10:10

My location
If they are photos of crew etc post them in the gallery under Life on Board section, it they are photos of the ships post them in the gallery under Tankers section. I sailed with Geoff on the London in 1978 when we had a couple of weeks in Nagasaki due to rudder problems. There is a group on Facebook called unsurprisingly Globtik Tankers you could join that and post your photos there, would like to see them myself.

Last edited by davidrwarwick; 28th June 2019 at 10:17..