Blowing for Tugs - Ships Nostalgia
19:35

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Blowing for Tugs

User Tag List

Old 9th June 2009, 11:22

Blowing for Tugs

There is an expression in use in the Mersey side area of "blowing for tugs".When used in a conversational manner it has become to mean "I am out of breath".
In the marine sense going back to the 40's/50s how did vessels call for assistance in the Mersey i.e Blow for tugs.
As a youngster I can recall the times when tugs of various companies dashing up and down the river looking for towing business. But what whistle signals were used to attract attention?
Old 9th June 2009, 12:03
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1961 - 1994

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonlad View Post
There is an expression in use in the Mersey side area of "blowing for tugs".When used in a conversational manner it has become to mean "I am out of breath".
In the marine sense going back to the 40's/50s how did vessels call for assistance in the Mersey i.e Blow for tugs.
As a youngster I can recall the times when tugs of various companies dashing up and down the river looking for towing business. But what whistle signals were used to attract attention?
Expression "Blowing for tugs " was commonly used when p----d ashore with booze to the eyeballs and needing assistance to get back on board.
Old 9th June 2009, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonlad View Post
Alexandra Towing produced a book on their history called "Blow Five" which was stated as how vessels called for their tug assistance.
Old 9th June 2009, 16:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 1975

My location
Thumbs up Full of grub too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Janner View Post
Expression "Blowing for tugs " was commonly used when p----d ashore with booze to the eyeballs and needing assistance to get back on board.
I use the "blowing for tugs" expression when I've stuffed meself full of grub, e.g. at Chrimbo, and can't finish the last bit of nosh (usually a pea!!) Salaams, Phil