Shipping Disasters on the Mersey - Ships Nostalgia
14:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Shipping Disasters on the Mersey

User Tag List

Old 9th December 2009, 18:37

Shipping Disasters on the Mersey

Not sure if this is the correct place for this thread but!
I am looking for information that would allow me to put together an illustrate talk, for charity, on ships big and small that have come to grief in or near the river Mersey.
This topic could be extended to take in famous and infamous Liverpool vessels, either built on the Mersey or whose home port became the Mersey, that came to a glorious or inglorious end.

Just a name and an approximate date would be a start, more detail of course would be great.

Graysonlad
Old 9th December 2009, 19:24

Hi Graysonlad,

The loss of the Ellan Vannan the IOMSP Ferry would be a good one to start with - all the details are HERE

Also The 8,183 GRT Henderson Line liner SS Pegu ran aground in the Crosby Channel on 24 December 1939 - 103 passengers saved by the New Brighton Lifeboat the vessel was a total loss and the wreck is still visible today at low water. Mast used to show till the Tug Wallasey knocked it down in a gale in 1987 when she ran aground close to it.

Also 1960 Rae Tug Applegarth sunk by the Perthshire.

Chris

Last edited by Santos; 9th December 2009 at 20:38..
Old 9th December 2009, 20:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1955 - 1966

The submarine whose name began with a T comes to a rather gin clouded mind.
Pat Baker.
Old 9th December 2009, 20:48

Pat, the submarine you are referring to was the Thetis. If I remember he was built at Cammell Lairds and was undergoing sea trials in Liverpool Bay. On one of the practice dives she became stuck on the sea bed. I think there were two survivors.

On 7th February 1913, No. 8 Hopper capsized in a storm on the Mersey and 11 crew members were drowned. One of those men was my grandfather, a fireman on the hopper. As a result of his death my grandmother received GBP244, 24 shillings and 9 pence compensation from the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board.
John Callon.
Old 9th December 2009, 20:59

A Guinness vessel ploughing into one of Savages coasters anchored off New Brighton in the early sixties, no loss of life. Cant recall the name of either vessel at the moment apart from the fact the Savage vessels name ended in field.
Old 9th December 2009, 21:13
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutsplice View Post
A Guinness vessel ploughing into one of Savages coasters anchored off New Brighton in the early sixties, no loss of life. Cant recall the name of either vessel at the moment apart from the fact the Savage vessels name ended in field.
Freshfield and Lady Gwendolen
Old 9th December 2009, 21:14
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
Another one... bound for Liverpool... was 'Royal Charter'
Old 10th December 2009, 00:17

JJ Macks ship Stormont sank near the Pier head with the loss of a lot of Cattle in 1946, Also a ferry boat Royal Daffodil was sunk alongside at Egremont by enemy action sometime around !941, Furness Withy? tug sank at Birkenhead with the loss of life I think it may have been the Bison sometime about 1946, there was a ship sunk by enemy action midriver by the pierhead it was bouyed off for years, I believe there was a reluctance to demolish it as it lay directly over the mersey Tunnel hope this helps
Old 10th December 2009, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos View Post
Hi Graysonlad,

Also 1960 Rea Tug Applegarth sunk by the Perthshire

Chris
There is a photograph of the Applegarth in Bidston Graving dock after she was salvaged in Marconi Sahib's gallery at this link;
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...p?photo=161768
A friend of mine, Johnny Dolphin was on of the seven crew who was lost when the Perthshire ran down the Applegarth.
It didnt end there, when the Perthshire finally got alongside at Vittoria dock that night, a crew of dockers boarded her to commence working cargo, and one of them, a deckhand was caught up in a winch and killed.
Pat
Old 10th December 2009, 12:12
Active: 1936 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonlad View Post
Not sure if this is the correct place for this thread but!
I am looking for information that would allow me to put together an illustrate talk, for charity, on ships big and small that have come to grief in or near the river Mersey.
This topic could be extended to take in famous and infamous Liverpool vessels, either built on the Mersey or whose home port became the Mersey, that came to a glorious or inglorious end.

Just a name and an approximate date would be a start, more detail of course would be great.

Graysonlad
Arriving in the Mersey on 23rd August 1941 in the Anglo Saxon Co tanker Adula we saw the wrecks of two ships between Liverpool and Birkenhead.
They had been sunk by parachute mines dropped by German aircraft on 13th March 1941.
Tacoma City of Reardon Smith Co.- four crew were killed.
Ullapool of Sir R.Ropner & Sons Ltd - 15 crew were killed.
Stan
Old 10th December 2009, 12:38

GORSETHORN.
7.12.1940: Whilst on a voyage from Preston to Cork with coal became disabled and was abandoned 14˝ miles from the Bar Light Vessel. Taken in tow.
9.12.1940: Sank about 1 mile west by north from the Bar Light Vessel.

BANNPRINCE.
12.11.1955: Collided with the Swedish tank steamer JUNO (8,422g./45) in the Queen’s Channel, River Mersey, and sank.
24.11.1955: Raised and beached at Wallasey. Subsequently sold for scrap.
Old 10th December 2009, 16:05

Other might include the Lurcher which sank off Woodside after a collision; the pilot boat that was lost in a storm in 1913?; the loss of the barque Mexico at Formby; Adredger which sank after a collision near Egremont in the mid fifties also a classic Edwardian yacht that was run down in almost the same position about the same period.

I also remember a tanker and a Royal Mail/PSNC ship collided in the channel one Friday night in the mid-sixties, I remember taking some pictures of the Royal ship in Gladstone a week later with a large gash just forward of the bridge.

Also springs to mind the Friday morning, about this time of year, when the Queensgarth was rammed just foreward of the engine room by a chillian vessel doing engine trials in the West Float.

And before I forget the Lottie whatever, being destroyed by a gunpowder explosion off Tranmere c.1840. More recently the Seacat colliding with the frighter going into Alfred two years ago.

I'm sure that there are many more.

Scouse.
Old 10th December 2009, 18:35

My location
The “SS Speke” official No 91460 port of Registry Liverpool 28th September lost Jordan’s Spit off Formby on a voyage from Liverpool to Preston 1943. 9 souls lost
See http://www.plimsoll.org/resources/SC...orts/14167.asp
for a detailed report

Ray
Old 10th December 2009, 19:10

Early 1970's INDIAN SECURITY was rammed by I think by an Italian MONREALE ? and was left ripped open just aft of the foc'sle in the shape of the Italian's bow to just below the waterline.
Old 10th December 2009, 19:59

Found an oldbook The Wonderful Story of the Sea pre 1938 in it it shows the Harrison boat Architect aground on the Pluntington Bank in the Mersey 1934she broke her back its quite a good picture of her I will try to send it to the gallery. By the way its a great book full of allsorts from hollowed out logs to liners the Qeenmary has just been launched.
Old 10th December 2009, 20:02

Oops apologies the QUEEN MARY its thick I am.
Old 11th December 2009, 16:49

In the seventies (I think) the tanker "Berwyn" ( I think again) she was a sludge dumping vessel. In the Crosby or Queens channel navigating outside of the bouyed channel apparently hit the revetment wall and sank. Not certain but there were some loss of life, I hope I am mistaken on the last comment.
Old 11th December 2009, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutsplice View Post
In the seventies (I think) the tanker "Berwyn" ( I think again) she was a sludge dumping vessel. In the Crosby or Queens channel navigating outside of the bouyed channel apparently hit the revetment wall and sank. Not certain but there were some loss of life, I hope I am mistaken on the last comment.
Yes it happened on 15th Feb 1973 and she sank 52.32.12N by 3.10.10W.
No idea about loss of life though.
Old 12th December 2009, 23:15
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

My location
Sea Express 1 (ex Seacat Isle of Man) Collided with the Alaska Rainbow and was listing badly for weeks afterwards. Its a long story photos just after the collision are here. http://www.irishseashipping.co.uk/ph...eone030206.htm There are also photos of the repair work on there. Hope this helps.
Old 13th December 2009, 17:42

Re The Stormont

Quote:
Originally Posted by tell View Post
JJ Macks ship Stormont sank near the Pier head with the loss of a lot of Cattle in 1946,
Thank you for the various lead on this topic.
I have tracked down the following information but have been unable to trace any reports or pictures of this event. As a boy I remember seeing the cattle floating in the river. Can anyone point me in the direction of additional information/pictures. I assume there must be some as I did find a video clip showing the Stormont on her side and the Brent's damaged bow.

On the 20.11.1946 the Stormont, sailing from Belfast to Birkenhead with 220 head of cattle, sank following a collision the SS Empire Brent. The Brent, with a full load of war brides was sailing home to Canada, suffered damage to her bow and had to go into dry dock for repairs.

Graysonlad
Old 15th December 2009, 00:34
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1990

My location
graysonlad.

If you PM me your address I have a story, written by an old shipmate, of the remarkable escape of the bosun of the Clan MacAlister sunk off the pierhead on 29 May 1940.

Derek
Old 17th December 2009, 11:26

Another that has come to light.

IBIS 171grt built 1896
16.11.1923: Wrecked on Taylor’s Bank Revetment, Crosby Channel, R. Mersey
Old 17th December 2009, 14:43
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1964 - 2001

The cargo ship Ousel GT:1539, Built 1922 was involved in a collision off Rockferry on the River Mersey 8th january 1957.
For many years her mast was visible from the foreshore.
I remember this event very well, as a child I went down to the foreshore to
see many boxes of Lucky Strike Matches being washed ashore.
Old 18th January 2010, 10:48

Story to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldersuk View Post
graysonlad.

If you PM me your address I have a story, written by an old shipmate, of the remarkable escape of the bosun of the Clan MacAlister sunk off the pierhead on 29 May 1940.

Derek
Hi Derek.

I did PM but have not had a response. Can you let me know if your offer is still open.

David.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:52

MALAKAND bombed 1941 and took most of Huskisson 2 with her when she exploded.

EMPRESS OF ENGLAND burnt out in Gladstone dock 1953

ALABAMA Confederate Warship, built Birkenhead 1862

Last edited by David W; 18th January 2010 at 15:02..