Stirling Shipping - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
14:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stirling Shipping

User Tag List

Old 6th October 2009, 21:55

Hi David very nice to hear from you, I do remember you well i think you visited the ships quite frequently to check the rotadex cards ,I retired in 2000 after 25 year's with Stirling and as you say a very sad day when Stirling finished it was agreat company and I enjoyed all my time with them, and the guys on the ships.
Pleased to know Marion is still going strong , and sorry to hear of your bereavment of your Father.
As you can see from the various post on here that we still keep in contact with each other ,and I also keep in touch with alot of the guys by email .
Ok David great to hear from you keep in touch and keep visiting this forum

Regards Trevor Hunt
Old 2nd December 2009, 07:39
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1970 - 2013

Just thought I'd add a post to keep this thread going as just last night in a bar I was explaining to an ex Aeromarine (Clan Line) stevedore down here in South Africa why I left Clan Line and then ended up with such a fantastic Company in HCL/SS. They truly were special.

I remember you David and all the names you mentioned brought back some wonderful memories. When I was talking about the company last night one of the stories I told was about visiting 16 Woodside Crescent for lunch in the boardroom before taking command of the Valdivia in 1991 when I came back to help out for a couple of months. I was chatting to Iain Harrison and he turned to Ian Burrows and said "Oh, Ian go and get Charlie a sherry would you", how I sniggered to myself!!

I met up with Paul and Isobel Haysom in the summer when they sailed into Fowey. Both seemed just the same as 20 odd years ago.
Old 31st December 2009, 05:38

I saw Mr Harrison in February 2002, he was on Stirling's last new build, Stirling Islay, for the handover ceremony, and to locate his chosen artwork throughout the accommodation. He had commissioned several up and coming Scottish artists.
I re-introduced myself and told him the last time we met, was in the bar on the Norse Pilot in Hiroshima in December 1980. He seemed surprised, but genuinely pleased.
Most of the lads standing by the boat were not invited to the do, I never understand why we don't get invites to this sort of thing, we would have certainly livened it up.
We consoled ourselves by looking at the new painting of a bare lady in the messroom.
Old 31st December 2009, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjenk View Post
I saw Mr Harrison in February 2002, he was on Stirling's last new build, Stirling Islay, for the handover ceremony, and to locate his chosen artwork throughout the accommodation. He had commissioned several up and coming Scottish artists.
I re-introduced myself and told him the last time we met, was in the bar on the Norse Pilot in Hiroshima in December 1980. He seemed surprised, but genuinely pleased.
Most of the lads standing by the boat were not invited to the do, I never understand why we don't get invites to this sort of thing, we would have certainly livened it up.
We consoled ourselves by looking at the new painting of a bare lady in the messroom.
I'm quite sure he remembered you well, even after 22 years, hence the lack of an invite to "the Do"!!
Old 31st December 2009, 13:38

I take a dim view of posters wandering on to this forum, irresponsibly writing the truth, without a bye your leave.

Happy New Year, Charlie !!!!!!
Old 4th January 2010, 10:51
Department: Engineering

If I remember correctly - Harrisons sponsored Sue Jane Taylor while she was at art college?

She went on to create the Piper Alpha Memorial, which is in Hazelhead Park, Aberdeen.

http://www.hi-arts.co.uk/Default.asp...01.Lang-EN.htm

I know this is a Stirling Shipping thread, but I'll always remember the artwork which arrived in Japan for the christening of Voreda............

Jimmy Black took the portrait of HM Queen Elizabeth, turned it over - and wrote in chinagraph:

"All the best, Jim - Love Elizabeth"

He showed it to the shipyard management while saying in his Belfast accent:

"Sure - that's nice of Liz to write that!"

I've never seen any Japanese - bow so low, as those who thought that Jimmy Black was related to the Queen.

Al
Old 16th August 2010, 10:07

Stirling Shipping

For those of you that knew him, my dad Fred Ditty (Engineer) passed away this week - I know one of his Ships was the Stirling Bridge can't remember the rest sorry.
Old 16th August 2010, 14:31

PM sent
Old 29th August 2010, 10:28

The Artwork on the Stirling ships was brilliant ! I had a great print of a picture by James Harrigan in my cabin called 'Lobster boat' The ship had many good pictures and some not so good but what a difference it made to the feeling of it being a nice place to live and work. The importance of this can not be over stressed and an aspect that many shipowners overlook.
Old 4th October 2010, 11:57

P C Nicholls

Hi All,
My dad was captain with Stirling shipping, Peter Nicholls. He died in 1985, anyone remember him?
Ian
Old 4th October 2010, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholls View Post
Hi All,
My dad was captain with Stirling shipping, Peter Nicholls. He died in 1985, anyone remember him?
Ian
Hi Ian,

Your dad was my mentor when I transferred from the deep sea ships of Harrisons(Clyde) to Stirling Shipping. I joined the Osprey with him in 81 as Mate and stayed with him until promoted onto the Cormorant. Your dad was a very clever, gentle man. I never suffered much from seasickness but when I had to go to his cabin to wake him the heady aroma of sweaty socks and strong pipe tobacco used to make me feel quite unwell. Fortunately he met your Mum and she dragged him from his confirmed batchelorhood and he was a changed man. It was a very sad day when he was taken so early. Hope you and your Mum are both well.

I'm struggling to remember your mother's name, but I'm sure we met.
Old 4th October 2010, 13:30

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for your reply-my mum is Jane, she and I and my older sister definatly came up to ospray and ash I think. Mums still all good. From all accounts Dad seemed a pretty top bloke.
Cheers
Ian
Old 4th October 2010, 19:19

Peter Nicholls

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholls View Post
Hi All,
Ian
Ian
Remember your dad very well. He was master and i was mate on the Stirling Rock during my first year with Stirling in 1976. Could not have wished for a better mentor, and a gentleman in every respect. My discharge book shows his signature when i paid off in May 1976 at Peterhead. He was due to return to the vessel after his leave, but was transferred to the Stirling Ash for her Canadian charter. Although sorry to lose his company, this proved benificial to me as i was then promoted to master, rejoining the vessel in Invergordon. Typical of your dad, he sent me a message of best wishes for my new command.
If i remember correctly, your dad used to fly up north from (Teeside?) in a small plane piloted by himself and a chum of his ?? All who knew him at Stirling, both ashore and afloat were greatly saddened at the news of his passing at such a young age. Your message revived many happy memories - many thanks!
Regards
Angus Murray
Old 5th October 2010, 11:38

Hi Angus,
Thats right, I grew up just in the flight path of Teeside airport, mainly so dad could fly up to Aberdeen. He used to navigate his plane by following the M1 to Edinburgh and then north across the forth bridge. My sister got married in July and there was a good contingent from the flying club there. There is a painting of Ash transferring cargo to a rig in our hallway. I'm glad you have such fond memories, thanks for your reply.
Ian
Old 14th March 2012, 21:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1956 - 2002

A Curious Venture - history of harrisons (clyde) ltd

A history of Harrisons (Clyde) including Stirling Shipping has just been written and published by Iain Harrison under the title 'A Curious Venture'. It has many photographs in full colour and short biographies of sea-going and office personnel, anecdotes and extracts from 'Clanger'.

Unfortunately it was not possible to mention everyone individually who worked with us over the years, but no-one is forgotten. We were a great team!

Anyone interested in having a copy, as a gift, please apply by email to [email protected] with full name and address. One copy per applicant while stocks last.

Many thanks and Best Wishes
Old 23rd December 2013, 21:43

To all the Stirling guys have merry Christmas and a happy new year

Trevor
Old 24th December 2013, 00:41
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor8869 View Post
Yes I do was eng superintendant for many years then techincal director
Willie has moved back to the Clyde and is still ticking along . I did receive a copy of the book from Ian ; very nice .

Derek
Old 24th December 2013, 06:19

Thanks for the info Derek!!merry Christmas!
Old 1st January 2014, 11:33

Stirling Imp (Grampian Falcon) on her way to a new life with a Glasgow company.
Old 14th January 2014, 08:59

Hi all, Does anyone know where Angus McEachern 2/E and C/E in Stirling from their earliest days end up, Thanks, weg43
Old 25th January 2014, 22:07

Angus Maceachern

Quote:
Originally Posted by weg43 View Post
Hi all, Does anyone know where Angus McEachern 2/E and C/E in Stirling from their earliest days end up, Thanks, weg43
Angus moved to Mariners Park (Wallasey) some years ago along with his wife (had married late in life).Unfortunately his wife passed away and Angus moved back to Scotland, residing at Alness. I used to receive a Christmas card every year without fail, but not this year, so I am not too sure about his present status. Would be pleased to hear of anyone with information.
Old 27th January 2014, 06:43

Thanks for the response Angus; I had the great pleasure of sailing with Angus M., but only deep sea way back in the 70's and he is one of these unforgettable people whom I lost touch with,a long time ago,and,like some others,I wondered what had became of him in later years. In view of what you said,I hope he's O.K., Thanks again, weg43.
Old 24th February 2014, 18:09

Angus MacEachern

I am Angus' cousin Shona. I am sorry to let you know that Angus passed away yesterday (23rd February). He had been unwell for most of last year. His sister Kathleen lived near him and saw him most days so he wasn't alone. Kathleen wanted me to let you know. I think she met you a couple of times Angus. The funeral is this Friday 28th at 12.30 at Inverness Crematorium. Sorry to be the bearer of such sad news.
Old 25th February 2014, 10:37

Angus MacEachern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I am Angus' cousin Shona. I am sorry to let you know that Angus passed away yesterday (23rd February). He had been unwell for most of last year. His sister Kathleen lived near him and saw him most days so he wasn't alone. Kathleen wanted me to let you know. I think she met you a couple of times Angus. The funeral is this Friday 28th at 12.30 at Inverness Crematorium. Sorry to be the bearer of such sad news.
Sad news indeed - sending you a PM

Angus Murray
Old 25th February 2014, 17:00

Angus MacEachern

Shona,
So sad to read of Angus' passing.He was a gem and a one of.
Heartfelt Sympathy and Sincerest Condolences. I also have sent you P.M.
weg43.