King Edward VII Nautical College Old Boys Association - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
13:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

King Edward VII Nautical College Old Boys Association

User Tag List

Old 9th November 2011, 11:29

During my time with caltex,completed the corresponce course from King Teds
I was rewarded with a 3 month Mid-apprenticeship course in the summer of 66.
Wow..after 2+ years of boredom between the gulf and europort,the east end was heaven, remember the stewards were all working at the school due to the strike.
Had some sort of connection with a teachers training college in south london,
woke up after a dance at the school with a lovely girl (later to find out her name was emma).Turned on radio to hear Frank sinatra singing Strangers in the night!
Best 3 months of my apprenticeship!
Old 27th December 2011, 10:17

King Teds

Great to see the spate of posts recently regarding the experiences of some of us who passed the humble portals of King Teds. Was there on 12 month course August 1957 to August 1958, before joining Port Line and have previously posted items re King Teds. We may have lacked the glamour (and bullshit) of the larger sea training establishments but, in my book, we got a very good grounding in the basics, both practical and otherwise.

I have mentioned this before, but on Friends Reunited, someone has posted a photo of a group of pre-sea cadets at King Teds. It appears to have been taken sometime during my above-mentioned period at the school and I recognise myself and a few others, including Laurie Hadden, Monty Stephens, Mick Porter, Jeffries and Harry Dalton. Perhaps one of you there at the same time might like to visit the site and add a few names?

Who remembers the old ogre Captain Woods who presided at the Hall of Residence? Fond memories of Captain Miller and the Master of the "Wendorian", Capt Griffiths - and the Cook who lokked like Arthur English, the comic. Mr Owens was the working boss at Hall of Residence at Cromwell Road and his wife was matron - their joint mission in life was to protect the virtue of their teenage daighter (Gwynneth ?) from the perceived evil intentions of the cadets. Mr.Bell (ex wartime Lt.RM) taught English at the main red brick building near West India Docks - but I think this was for Second Mates rather than pre-sea, memory fades. I remember Captain Hussey (RNR I think,) - I think he had a wartime DSO? Captain Chase was the Principal and Captain Ballard the working Head.

Hope this prompts a few more replies.

Jim Martin
Cadet Captain 1958
Old 27th December 2011, 13:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 2010

Captain Chase last day at King Teds , I posted a photo some time ago
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...-at-ki/cat/500
Old 27th December 2011, 13:28

It's strange, but that school seemed to be very little known. I went to Rotherhithe, later known as London Nautical. I went to King Edward VII for 2nd mate but, even then, little was said about the boys' school while I was there.

I entered into an exchange of posts with someone on another MN thread who was trying to make contact with old boys, but that was some years ago, now, and I cannot remember the details and I can't remember the site, either.
Old 29th December 2011, 12:13
Active: 1959 - Present

[QUOTE=capt jim martin;561699]Who remembers the old ogre Captain Woods who presided at the Hall of Residence? Fond memories of Captain Miller and the Master of the "Wendorian", Capt Griffiths - and the Cook who lokked like Arthur English, the comic. Mr Owens was the working boss at Hall of Residence at Cromwell Road and his wife was matron - their joint mission in life was to protect the virtue of their teenage daighter (Gwynneth ?) from the perceived evil intentions of the cadets. Mr.Bell (ex wartime Lt.RM) taught English at the main red brick building near West India Docks - but I think this was for Second Mates rather than pre-sea, memory fades. I remember Captain Hussey (RNR I think,) - I think he had a wartime DSO? Captain Chase was the Principal and Captain Ballard the working Head.

This certainly brings back memories. Captain Hussey I remember, taking noon sights using the ridge of an adjacent building as the horizon; Mr. Bell trying to instil some disciplined marching into us in preparation for the St. Pauls Cathedral service; Captain Woods - enough said. The cook on the Wendorian I do not recall looking particularly like Arthus English but I do recall his most enormous hands. Who was the chap (Diamond springs to mind) who took us for gym and swimming being particularly keen on break falls from the top of the wall bars? All so long ago now.
Old 29th December 2011, 14:21

[QUOTE=matthew flinders;562200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jim martin View Post
Who remembers the old ogre Captain Woods who presided at the Hall of Residence? Fond memories of Captain Miller and the Master of the "Wendorian", Capt Griffiths - and the Cook who lokked like Arthur English, the comic. Mr Owens was the working boss at Hall of Residence at Cromwell Road and his wife was matron - their joint mission in life was to protect the virtue of their teenage daighter (Gwynneth ?) from the perceived evil intentions of the cadets. Mr.Bell (ex wartime Lt.RM) taught English at the main red brick building near West India Docks - but I think this was for Second Mates rather than pre-sea, memory fades. I remember Captain Hussey (RNR I think,) - I think he had a wartime DSO? Captain Chase was the Principal and Captain Ballard the working Head.

This certainly brings back memories. Captain Hussey I remember, taking noon sights using the ridge of an adjacent building as the horizon; Mr. Bell trying to instil some disciplined marching into us in preparation for the St. Pauls Cathedral service; Captain Woods - enough said. The cook on the Wendorian I do not recall looking particularly like Arthus English but I do recall his most enormous hands. Who was the chap (Diamond springs to mind) who took us for gym and swimming being particularly keen on break falls from the top of the wall bars? All so long ago now.
I remember the cook on the Wendorian he was ex-GSNC and his extra large hands used to wander a bit, working on a training ship, he must have thought he had died and gone to heaven!!
Old 30th December 2011, 14:15

Further memories King Teds

Read recent posts re King Teds, posted by "Joe C" and "Mathew Flinders", which rang a few bells. My memories of the Cook aboard the TS "Wendorian" confined to his producing excellent food for hungry cadets and that in a tiny galley. I remember the "Wendy's" Mate as an ex Shell man, surname Smith I think.

I remember that we often shipped out in the "Wendy" from Wapping Basin with a couple of Engineer Officer trainees from Poplar Tech. These unfortunates were persuaded that they were to have a few days practical engineering training - whereas I seem to remember them being used as trimmers and stokers and seeing the whites of their eyes in the bunkers when we tipped in the bags of coal at Wapping!

The reference to a chap who took us for gym and swimming - "Diamond" - prompts the following reminiscences. I recall two separated individuals - but not the name "Diamond", although that might have been a nickname? When I was there 57/58, we had an ex Army wartime commando, a small hard little bugger who taught us boxing and self-defence skills in the buiding in the East End. When, later on I explained these latter skills to my brother, a RM Captain, he thought that they were pretty good, although basic. They included simple techniques for keeping someone with a knife at arms length, eye-gouging, strangulation, effective rabbit punching, creating weapons from things to hand etc - never ever had to use any of these, but like all of us I probably often ended up in low dives where it might have been necessary! The other chap I recall took those of us at the Hall of Residence once a week, in the evening, for gym at a location a good half an hour's run from Gloucester Road. He was, I think, an ex Army or Navy PTI and, although not very tall, he was very wide! Immensely strong in the chest and arms he was capable of holding himself completely horizontal on the gym climbing ropes.

Over to you........

Jim Martin
Old 30th December 2011, 15:35

King Edward VII Nautical College Old Boys Association

The King Ted's Instructor that taught Cpt Jim Martin in 58 was still there in 63/64 - still teaching judo and self defence. Remember when he made a big mistake pairing us off each side of the mat, and in error, put two Nigerian Cadets ( from different tribes) against each other to try their Judo Holds. They nearly killed each other in a brawl, but this little chap just knocked them both out with a squeeze to the back of their necks we had to drag them to the shower to bring them round. He had undivided class attention after that !!
Old 31st December 2011, 04:55
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Quote:

I remember that we often shipped out in the "Wendy" from Wapping Basin with a couple of Engineer Officer trainees from Poplar Tech. These unfortunates were persuaded that they were to have a few days practical engineering training - whereas I seem to remember them being used as trimmers and stokers and seeing the whites of their eyes in the bunkers when we tipped in the bags of coal at Wapping!

Over to you........

Jim Martin
Lucky for you Jim, I was there a year after you and without engineer trainees we had to cut cards to see who was going to do the trimmimg. Fortunately I only lost the cut on one trip but the reward was a nice hot bath in the Captains cabin which sure beat the cold water bucket wash down in the lazarette.
Old 31st December 2011, 14:59
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978

Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiwera View Post
The King Ted's Instructor that taught Cpt Jim Martin in 58 was still there in 63/64 - still teaching judo and self defence. Remember when he made a big mistake pairing us off each side of the mat, and in error, put two Nigerian Cadets ( from different tribes) against each other to try their Judo Holds. They nearly killed each other in a brawl, but this little chap just knocked them both out with a squeeze to the back of their necks we had to drag them to the shower to bring them round. He had undivided class attention after that !!
I was at King Teds from Nov 63 to Mar 64. I remember the judo instructor as a smallish, older guy who liked a cigarette. He was nick-named Scruff by the cadets. I also remember one of the Nigerian cadets as a large, friendly guy called Omoteso. I was to meet up with him again in 1968 when we sat for our second mate writtens in Dock Street. Essian was another cadet from Nigeria but much quieter.

If I recall correctly, other extra curricular activities included fencing and ballroom dancing which were scheduled in the evening somewhere in Fulham.
Old 1st January 2012, 19:58
Active: 1959 - Present

Quote:
Read recent posts re King Teds, posted by "Joe C" and "Mathew Flinders", which rang a few bells. The reference to a chap who took us for gym and swimming - "Diamond" - prompts the following reminiscences. I recall two separated individuals - but not the name "Diamond", although that might have been a nickname? When I was there 57/58, we had an ex Army wartime commando, a small hard little bugger who taught us boxing and self-defence skills in the buiding in the East End. When, later on I explained these latter skills to my brother, a RM Captain, he thought that they were pretty good, although basic. They included simple techniques for keeping someone with a knife at arms length, eye-gouging, strangulation, effective rabbit punching, creating weapons from things to hand etc - never ever had to use any of these, but like all of us I probably often ended up in low dives where it might have been necessary! Over to you........

Jim Martin
I had forgotten about the self defence things; like wrapping a coat around your arm to fend off the knife and using a rolled up newspaper as a weapon. I seem to recall that he also advocated that if throwing someone do it over the kerb as it would do more damage! The other thing he got us to do was to go out onto the Mile End Road and ask someone on the other side for the time and when you couldn't hear (or pretended to) get THEM to cross over the road to tell you! I have used the rolled up newspaper but now have my own watch.
Old 2nd January 2012, 20:10

I recall one incident involving our deadly PTI when two of us students were put in the boxing ring together by him and we were dancing around trying not to do any damage to each other which as you can imagine didn't meet with his approval! He stopped us,gave us a b*llocking and told us to get on with it.Not having any alternative we did and by a lucky fluke I connected on my opponent's nose causing an instant giant nose bleed.We were both covered in blood so we dropped our gloves and got out of the ring. He gave us another almighty bollocking but surprisingly let us go and get cleaned up.His retribution continued for the rest of the term as he used us to demonstrate all the different punches,hooks ,straight lefts etc and I know to this day if I hadn't blocked his straight lefts as instructed I wouldn't have any teeth.As it was, every time he hit my defensive glove I was stunned! If he had wanted to he could probably have removed my head.Amazing how fear can sharpen up the learning process !
Old 4th January 2012, 12:11

King Ted's - PTI "Scruff"

Thanks to "Nova Scotian" and others who continue to post things re King Teds. I recall now that the little PTI at Settle Street was indeed nicknamed "Scruff" and that the evening gym sessions were indeed somewhere in Fulham, which if my memory serves, would indeed have been close enough to run to and from Gloucester Road. Stll hoping for someone to pick up on my earlier suggestion re visiting Friends Reunited to look at King Teds photo thereon.

Someone earlier mentioned John Cass and the ex-Fairmile D used as radar training vessel for Radar Observer Cert - I think she was named "Sir John Cass"? Have beeen trying to track down a photo of her - any ideas. There is somewhere on this site a photo of the King Teds motor-launch "Magellan" mentioned earlier.
Old 5th January 2012, 07:30

My location
"Magellan"
Here you go with photo credits to who ever sent it to me years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magellan, King Ted's launch.jpg (80.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 5th January 2012, 14:11

KE VII Blazer Badge

During my time at KE VII we all wore navy blue blazers with the college badge on the breast pocket. Try as I may I have been unable to track one down or even find a picture of the badge. Perhaps someone at SN can post a picture or of know of one that's available.

Attached thumbnail shows my class wearing their blazers and was taken in 1964
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KE VII 1964.jpg (1.5 KB, 257 views)
Old 5th January 2012, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltic Star View Post
"Magellan"
Here you go with photo credits to who ever sent it to me years ago.
The Magellan alongside Cadogen Pier during 1953. I am the scruffy one not wearing a blazer!
Old 5th January 2012, 18:57
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Scotian View Post
During my time at KE VII we all wore navy blue blazers with the college badge on the breast pocket. Try as I may I have been unable to track one down or even find a picture of the badge. Perhaps someone at SN can post a picture or of know of one that's available.

Attached thumbnail shows my class wearing their blazers and was taken in 1964
Here we go NaScn: Vintage 1959. Cheers.

Ch Hnd

Last edited by China hand; 8th June 2012 at 18:46..
Old 6th January 2012, 10:36

In '53 there was no official uniform,we weren't required to wear blazers and I don't remember a badge. I must have thought it was clever to be different, wearing mostly a brown jacket but on every end of term report I was advised,"could pay more attention to his appearance"
I soon learned, when serving my time, it was a lot safer to merge into the background than stand out in a crowd.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:18
Active: 1960 - 2010

I was up for my master when a King Ted young man for 2 mates went before the examiners wearing a flour bag. he was asked to leave.The senior examiner asked to see the principle of King Teds
Old 6th January 2012, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by China hand View Post
Here we go NaScn: Vintage 1959. Cheers.

Ch Hnd
Thanks China Hand...that brought back a few memories. Got me thinking about studded collers (nothing like a pristine white coller attached to grubby white shirt) especially the plastic one that had to be worn on Sunday (I cant think why). It turned a light primrose colour over time!
Old 7th January 2012, 04:55

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Scotian View Post
Thanks China Hand...that brought back a few memories. Got me thinking about studded collers (nothing like a pristine white coller attached to grubby white shirt) especially the plastic one that had to be worn on Sunday (I cant think why). It turned a light primrose colour over time!
That was caused by the London smog in those days. Spotless when you left the residence, black as coal by the time you got to the college.
Old 7th January 2012, 10:31

King Ted's - blazer badge

Thanks to "China Hand" for posting the jpg of the blazer badge. Can I download the image for my own use - and, if so, how?

In some group photos I have seen of King Ted's cadets, some were wearing blazers and some already in MN cadet/apprentice uniforms. Would I be right in thinking that the latter were sponsored by companies and were perhaps on the short three-month course? I have no recollection of any King Ted's lads actually wearing MN uniforms during their time at the college, so perhaps the group photos were taken at end of term?

Nice to see the photo of the "Magellan" again.

Best regards to all.
Old 7th January 2012, 15:21

[QUOTE=capt jim martin;564580]Thanks to "China Hand" for posting the jpg of the blazer badge. Can I download the image for my own use - and, if so, how?

In some group photos I have seen of King Ted's cadets, some were wearing blazers and some already in MN cadet/apprentice uniforms. Would I be right in thinking that the latter were sponsored by companies and were perhaps on the short three-month course? I have no recollection of any King Ted's lads actually wearing MN uniforms during their time at the college, so perhaps the group photos were taken at end of term?

Hi Capt J:

During my time at KE VII all the cadets wore a blazer and badge with grey flannel trousers, white shirt and black tie. If you are referring to the photo in my 14 August, 2006 post, the MN uniform was worn by my room mate. He had been accepted by RFA and was in the process of kitting out for sea. This was one of the last days of our time at King Teds. Most of us thought it was a little over the top but he seemed to get a kick out of it.

A small number of cadets were sponsored by companies especially the overseas trainees. However the majority secured apprenticeships during their last term at the college. Just goes to show how good the employment situation was in those days and how strong the industry was too.

Cheers.
Old 7th January 2012, 21:44

[QUOTE=Nova Scotian;564670]
Quote:
Thanks to "China Hand" for posting the jpg of the blazer badge. Can I download the image for my own use - and, if so, how?

Hi Capt J:

During my time at KE VII all the cadets wore a blazer and badge with grey flannel trousers, white shirt and black tie. If you are referring to the photo in my 14 August, 2006 post, the MN uniform was worn by my room mate. He had been accepted by RFA and was in the process of kitting out for sea. This was one of the last days of our time at King Teds. Most of us thought it was a little over the top but he seemed to get a kick out of it.

A small number of cadets were sponsored by companies especially the overseas trainees. However the majority secured apprenticeships during their last term at the college. Just goes to show how good the employment situation was in those days and how strong the industry was too.

Cheers.
NO relation to Capt. Wood but I remember the good and not so good times. I attended 50 or 51 not long after WW2 and had the best training under Capt. Chase, Miller, Fifield, glen Griffith all training on the MY Wendorian, liberty boat Magellan, whalers Lecy and somner.
Austrian Gulliver was the caretaker at Chromwell Rd and wold bore us with his violin playing in the blue room.
We had an ex-ABA boxer called Etchin ? who tried to toughen us up with plenty of thick lips, bloody noses and bruised sides.
I failed the MOT eye test (probably due to the tough up sessions and later tried as a sparring partner at Joe Louis gym over the public bar Thomas A'beckett in the Old Kent road.
I must have been punch drunk to tackle a light weight pro kid from Trinidad - Lots of more to put into a book form.
Would appreciate any stories you may have to add to my writing this book as a Nostagia days to King Teds.
Regards Tom.
Old 8th January 2012, 18:35
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
I remember getting a bulwarking from Capt Ballard because I changed my blazer buttons to MN ( my Dads' oldies) buttons. Threatened me with "masquerading, false representation" , punishable by various ghastly things ( ended up polishing the office deck and replacing buttons in watch ashore time).

Take a copy of the badge if you want, folks: just don't ask me how to do it!

Belated Happy New Year to all.