BOT Lime Juice - merged threads - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
19:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BOT Lime Juice - merged threads

User Tag List

Old 15th August 2011, 19:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
I always steered clear of the salt tablets - The company doc recommended additional salt sprinkled on food if one felt the need. I used to recommend fruit with a squeeze of lemon and a light sprinkling of salt, the Mexican way (try it sometime, its very refreshing!). We had a can of lifeboat lemon juice powder - We used to make it up to take to Rugby matches. Without sugar it was quite foul and didn't do your tooth enamel much good!
Rgds.
Dave
Old 12th October 2011, 08:39
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Gin and Lime

I blame an old PCO Alec Bannerman for my downfall,he showed me a drink that on an un-air conditioned Clan boat was a killer.Tall glass,large lump of ice,enormous gin,lime juice filled to the top with chiiled water.Drink until you`ve had enough,fall over repeat next day.
Old 29th April 2012, 13:08
Department: Deck
Active: 1975 - 1983

My location
Another variation with lime juice and gin…

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan ward View Post
I blame an old PCO Alec Bannerman for my downfall,he showed me a drink that on an un-air conditioned Clan boat was a killer.Tall glass,large lump of ice,enormous gin,lime juice filled to the top with chiiled water.Drink until you`ve had enough,fall over repeat next day.
Anyone remember a Clan Line/UC PCO called Noel Proctor - he introduced me to Gin, Roses Lime, ice and water - his variation was to leave out the Roses! Thank goodness we had Tanqueray Gin!
I can also remember something about him and playing Flight Deck games… can anyone remember anything more about that?
Old 29th April 2012, 13:24
Department: Navigation
Active: 1959 - 1977

I remember well our 1100 lime juice during my Ellerman days. The most precious part was the ice "chippings". As Apprentices seems we got just the scraps. In addition to daily salt tablets many times at night work in the Gulf it was not unknown to take a hand full of salt from a box in the galley and lick that. I wonder what the Doctors would have to say these days?
Old 29th April 2012, 13:30
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Think there was a previous thread about this subject.
The BOT lime juice I remember was a bonded item as it contained alcohol and there used to be an entry in the official log "anti scabotics issued" when it was handed out by the ch.steward. Some got a tot of rum!!!!.
Old 29th April 2012, 13:46
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1987

Never heard the term anti scabotics before, sounds like an android with eczema.
Old 29th April 2012, 15:27

The word is antiscorbutic.

The medical name for scurvy is scorbutus. - deficiency of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).

Lime juice was adopted by the Admiralty originally, not because it was better that other citrus fruits but because it was cheaper; Being grown in British Colonies and not imported from potential enemies.
Old 29th April 2012, 15:33
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Previously mentioned dreadnoughts,do you mean those kits with the rough rectangles of cloth impregnated with some disinfectant and the small tube of oint ment you jammed up your Japs eye?After a meeting in Takoradi with some fragrant young thing with a haircut like a handgrenade,I visited Harry the Chief Steward to obtain such a kit.He reared up like a man posessed and threw me 3 or 4 saying`If you like the Mammies I`d better get you a few`a man of great tact,diplomacy and style.It certainly encouraged me to seek him out when in need.
Old 29th April 2012, 22:45

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Landsman View Post
The word is antiscorbutic.

The medical name for scurvy is scorbutus. - deficiency of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).

Lime juice was adopted by the Admiralty originally, not because it was better that other citrus fruits but because it was cheaper; Being grown in British Colonies and not imported from potential enemies.
Thanks for correcting my miss spelling.
Old 29th April 2012, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakercapt View Post
Thanks for correcting my miss spelling.
Happy to help - The way you spelt it is the way you heard it, and maybe the way the other guy spelt it anyway.
Old 30th April 2012, 02:45

I never heard of the Limejuice containing alcohol until I put it there. Not bad with gin as a matter of fact. Very healthy.

John T

PS Dare I point out that Lakercapt misspelled "misspelling". Not to worry, even I do it sometimes.

Last edited by trotterdotpom; 30th April 2012 at 02:48..
Old 30th April 2012, 03:02

My location
The BOT lime juice was preserved with alcohol and that was why it was in the bonded stores. Some silly customs regulation. Course this was in the late 50's so many Members might not go back that far.
Old 30th April 2012, 11:04
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1961 - 1994

My location
BOT Lime juice was that exactly, part of the BOT stocks to be held on Foreign going British Flag vessels.
Alongside the wooden pickle barrel, Pickling salt, Ice cream salt, all the items written into the Ships articles for display in the mess room.
Also daily rashioning scales "if you were put on "your Whack"
Normally under the control of the Chief Steward, not always kept in the Bond due to lack of space.
'Limer's' if diluted correctly and chilled was a great drink, but it did kill the Gin!
Was also used for Bleaching wooden cutting boards

Spence. OJ