Curry... - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
21:12

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Curry...

User Tag List

Old 17th April 2012, 22:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Electrician
Active: 1967 - 1990

very lucky my wife(welsh) worked in africa,india and seychelles with british gov. agency and picked up a lot of her cooking skills from various people she lived and worked with but her indian food skills she picked up in the seychelles as when in india where she lived she was not allowed in the kitchen as it was the domain of the staff.Have a curry 2/3 times a week and never tire of them.
Old 17th April 2012, 23:27
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
How lucky can a man get, a Welsh wife and curry twice a week, doesn't get any better than that.
Old 21st April 2012, 17:44

Absolutely love curry! I worked on Indian dive support vessels for a year out of Mumbai. The curries were brilliant and not always red hot as some people think. I also had an Indian cook on the supply boats in the Middle East, he made the best curries I've ever tasted. He said you should always include a piece of sliced apple to aid digestion and to cool it down add yoghurt (if desired). If you burn your mouth, drinking beer or even water doesn't cure it for long, milk does the trick.
Old 21st April 2012, 19:05
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
I've watched a few of these in morbid fascination, and I see much of what is wrong with America today. Downright gluttony. Saw one yesterday where he ate a 72 once steak and all the trimmings in under an hour, cheered on by a room full of fat people.
Makes you see why missionaries are sometimes a good idea. I watch in fascination, hoping that he will do a big yawn or have apoplexy, the great greedy lummox raves about the quality of the the 'burger, the chili. Truly a strange program, yet I cannot look away. I think it is helping me lose weight.
Old 22nd April 2012, 19:19
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo View Post
Absolutely love curry! I worked on Indian dive support vessels for a year out of Mumbai. The curries were brilliant and not always red hot as some people think. I also had an Indian cook on the supply boats in the Middle East, he made the best curries I've ever tasted. He said you should always include a piece of sliced apple to aid digestion and to cool it down add yoghurt (if desired). If you burn your mouth, drinking beer or even water doesn't cure it for long, milk does the trick.
My mate did the 'hottest curry in the world' thing in the Rupali down Newcastle Bigg Market a few year ago now, if you eat it you get it free. I tried a spoonfull and to me it was just like eating molten volcanic larva. Anyway after successfully completing the challenge the waiter told my mate to go home and drink as much milk as he could in preperation for the next day which he did.
The next day dawned and the first visit to the chambers 'wasn't to bad', the second visit he said he 'started to feel it' the third and subsequent visits after that became what he could only describe as 'an out of body experience' that convinced him from now on nowt hotter than a chicken Korma was going to pass his lips. His kahki button he assured me felt as if someone had set about trying to weld it together with an oxy / acetylene torch.
Old 22nd April 2012, 19:34
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

I think I may be a glutton with curry as I now always accompany it with Dahl.(kevjacko,s recipe which can be found in The Galley forum here).
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:26

Sweet curry

My latest effort with added Palm Sugar & Indian Alphonso Mango.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030887-001.JPG (391.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:52
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
For people who don't like hot spices I have developed a lamb and vegetable stew flavoured with roughly equal and fairly generous amounts of cumin, coriander, paprika and turmeric. This gives a rich flavour that was a success with my wife, who is almost allergic to any pepper. Daughter also enjoyed it from an early age when it gave her technicolour nappies (American diapers). Although I enjoy hot curries I don't seem to need to add heat to this dish. Cocoanut milk enriches it.
Old 24th April 2012, 06:46

Honest,saw a Travel/Cooking Programme on TV.based in India,Indian Intervieer said that English Curry was a reguler on Indian Menus nowadays.
Old 29th April 2012, 11:52
Active: 1975 - 1983

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan ward View Post
When an Assistant Purser with Clan one of my duties was the issue of the separate spices necessary for the making of the multitude of curries our cooks and bandharries made.Amongst the usual suspects like,chilli,turmeric,cumin and coriander,we also issued mace,nutmeg and poppy seeds.A good curry is one of truly life enhancing experience,the sloppy junk we get served in many takeaways both chinese(?)and indo/bangladeshi is a scandal.
@ Alan Ward - how true! My introduction to curry started in '76 on the Clan Menzies, and I've never forgotten the pleasure of the 'real thing' on the menu every lunchtime on the Indian/Bangladeshi crewed ships, Kofte, Malay, Ceylon and the dry mince are ones that I remember most fondly.
Old 14th May 2012, 18:43
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1987

Received by post a Madras Curry spice mix from the Ebay shop (that sounds something like The Surry Chop). The shop kindly emailed the recipe in advance. Just got back from shopping for the other ingredients.
Old 15th May 2012, 13:45

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
Oh and you can never have too many onions, dont go over board with tomatoes and ask Chilly about Sri Lankan (possibly Bangladesh)curries made from reheated lava
A second mate I sailed with went ashore with his wife in Colombo. We called it Ceylon then. He tried some curried crab claws.

He spent a lot of time the following day sitting on ice cubes. Lava reheated or just uncooled !!!
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
Received by post a Madras Curry spice mix from the Ebay shop (that sounds something like The Surry Chop). The shop kindly emailed the recipe in advance. Just got back from shopping for the other ingredients.
How did it go?
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 22nd June 2012, 17:38
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1987

It went well, the recipe was for 10 servings. Very tasty but the ingredient included 3/4 pint of oil which was far too much oil for me (I'm on a diet) so my wife has experimented with a mix of spices & less oil which happily worked out ok.

Last edited by mikeg; 22nd June 2012 at 17:53.. Reason: Corrected error
Old 23rd June 2012, 05:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
It went well, the recipe was for 10 servings. Very tasty but the ingredient included 3/4 pint of oil which was far too much oil for me (I'm on a diet) so my wife has experimented with a mix of spices & less oil which happily worked out ok.
Like I say the guy posts it all round the world for me and I must admit the oil thing was too much for me as well. But I was corresponding by e mail with the owner and he persuaded me to try it - and I must say that it seriously works but it does go completely against the grain
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 23rd June 2012, 17:03
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993

A mate brought some Salsa into work the other day, he'd used ghost chilli's to make it which rate over 1 million on the Scoville scale. I 'd just watched one of those 'Man Versus Food' shows (a window on gluttony) and the presenter had eaten a chilli burger with 4 of these things in. He must have internal asbestos lining throughout.
Old 23rd June 2012, 18:09
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
A mate brought some Salsa into work the other day, he'd used ghost chilli's to make it which rate over 1 million on the Scoville scale. I 'd just watched one of those 'Man Versus Food' shows (a window on gluttony) and the presenter had eaten a chilli burger with 4 of these things in. He must have internal asbestos lining throughout.
It is said that chillies on the same plant can vary greatly in strength.