Claims to fame. - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
18:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Claims to fame.

User Tag List

Old 15th July 2012, 13:44

My location
Ref "Low Life" Biggs............F.A.O. Ratty and Lamby.............

Just to clarify chaps............if Biggs is classed as someone worth

(a) meeting

(b) recalling

Then i qualify for (a) but don't agree with (b).

No inference against Alan Whicker was intended.................sorry for the x-wires.

Last edited by sparkie2182; 15th July 2012 at 13:49..
Old 15th July 2012, 14:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie View Post
Not quite in the same league I know, but I once had "Speedbird Three" do a radio check with me. I can't now remember whether it was on channel 16 or 132.65.
Was that BA?, the only other Speedbird 3 I know of nowadays is a type of wristwatch
Old 15th July 2012, 15:00

I sat next to Ken Dodd on a train from Liverpool to London in the 60s.
He never cracked a joke the whole journey, just read his paper, ignoring the 16 deck crowd who were trying to engage him in rib tickling repartee. I think he was glad to make his escape at Euston.
Old 15th July 2012, 15:01
Super Moderator
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Speedbird is the radio ID for all British Airways flights. Speedbird 3 would most likely have been Concord as they were usually designated 1 - 2 - 3 etc. Usually called as Speedbird Concord.

Hawkey01
Old 15th July 2012, 15:04

Met Sir Alex Ferguson and "was over the moon" !

Rgds
Lamby
Old 15th July 2012, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
I sat next to Ken Dodd on a train from Liverpool to London in the 60s.
He never cracked a joke the whole journey, just read his paper, ignoring the 16 deck crowd who were trying to engage him in rib tickling repartee. I think he was glad to make his escape at Euston.
I know a Liverpool ex Leckie and former Mod. He and his pals spotted Ken Dodd in his car (may have been a Roller) and followed him all the way to Knotty Ash in a line on their scooters singing "We are the Diddymen".

I got queue jumped by Harvey Smith, the show jumper, in a hotel in London - the fat bastard.

John T
Old 15th July 2012, 15:59

But all the kids flocked to shake
The right hand that made him great
And that is why to this day
People always say

Did he meet the man
Did he shake his hand
Then let me shake the hand that shook the hand that shook the hand
Of John L. Sullivan

Well I have shaken a few hands that were only few handshakes away from mighty John L. The living celebrities I have met are known only in Norway.
Old 15th July 2012, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
Ref "Low Life" Biggs............F.A.O. Ratty and Lamby.............

Just to clarify chaps............if Biggs is classed as someone worth

(a) meeting

(b) recalling

Then i qualify for (a) but don't agree with (b).

No inference against Alan Whicker was intended.................sorry for the x-wires.

Let you off seeing as it's you !

Rgds
Lamby
Old 15th July 2012, 17:48

My location
"Met Sir Alex Ferguson and "was over the moon" !"

Yeah, but he was as "sick as a parrot"

Old 15th July 2012, 18:34

I sailed with an AB, who went ashore one night in Los Angeles and returned two days later in a limo, smirking all over his face.
His story was that he been picked up by movie star Joan Crawford in a sleazy bar, and taken home for an entertaining boozy couple of days.
No one believed him, but in the next port he got a letter containing a large signed photograph of the lady in question.
Pat
Old 15th July 2012, 18:37
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - 1978

Was flying from London to New York to join Ardmay in Florida in 1977. For various reasons our 7 hour flight ended up being a 14 hour flight and we were at Dulles International Airport, Washington instead of JFK! Didn't end there as that airport didn't take 747s so we had to wait another hour while they brought steps from another airport! BA put us up in the Sheraton overnight.

After finally getting off the aircraft we found Ringo Starr was in 1st class and we were held in a queue in customs whilst they got him to open every singly bag he and his lady had with them. Wonder why!
Old 15th July 2012, 19:22

Met and talked to Paul McCartny whilst alongside each other in a traffic hold up in Birkenhead. Worked out in a Gym with Billy J Kramer. spoke briefly to Gerry Marsden during his filming of Ferry Cross the Mersey, and met all of the Royal Family at a Queens garden party, including Princess Diana to talk to, plus many of the government ministers of the day. "I was invited"!
Old 15th July 2012, 20:38
Active: 1964 - 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ratt View Post
In Rio de Janeiro 1974 at a Brit Embassy cocktail party I met Alan Whicker. He was a most entertaining and unassuming man. He had earlier been interviewing a fairly notorious great train robber.
Those were the days Rab - RPC's at various embassies, not any more unfortunately, where did it all go wrong? Happy happy times, plus an overseas allowance for entertainment. The best years ever.

LouisB.
Old 15th July 2012, 21:33
King Ratt

My location
Hi Sparkie2182. You are forgiven! We've all had crossed wires.

For Louis B. As you say Happy Days. Dare I mention meeting Ursula Andress on board HMS Victorious in Singapore in 1965 at another CTP? Mind you, it was a very fleeting meeting. This was just after Dr No had hit the big screen.
Old 15th July 2012, 22:08
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1985

In the late 50's I met most of the Liverpool (future) pop stars who played at the Casbah Club in West Derby Village though I doubt very much if they even noticed me. The Casbah was a tiny cellar club in one of the big detached houses in Haymans Green and was owned by the 'ex' of the owner of Liverpool Stadium (Best Promotions) her son Pete was the drummer with the Beatles and they used to use the Casbah as a sort of rehearsal venue whenever they were 'in town'. I believe that Neil Aspinall (his father was on Rea tugs) actually married Mrs. Best at some stage but cannot be sure, he was their chief roadie and some times called the fifth Beatle, sadly he passed on a year or so back. His brother and I were 'muckers' in those years.
Oh-- BTW Ringo was playing with the rival group 'Rory Storm and the Hurricanes' during this period.
Ah the days of yor.......

Jim
Old 15th July 2012, 22:08
Active: 1964 - 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ratt View Post
Hi Sparkie2182. You are forgiven! We've all had crossed wires.

For Louis B. As you say Happy Days. Dare I mention meeting Ursula Andress on board HMS Victorious in Singapore in 1965 at another CTP? Mind you, it was a very fleeting meeting. This was just after Dr No had hit the big screen.
For Rab - I think that was the year I flew out to join Tidereach and got to like 'horses necks' - nearly a month in Connell House waiting for the ship - luxury! Much later on Resource Miss Bermuda was choppered onto us for a photo shoot, couldn't get near her, like flys around a jampot so retired to the bar. Bit like the rest of my career actually

LouisB.
Old 16th July 2012, 00:37
Active: 1971 - 1991

My location
Well, to be quite honest, I don't remember meeting any of you lot!
I am getting on a bit though so if anyone remembers meeting me, I apologise.

Regards, Jmac.
Old 16th July 2012, 04:45
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
I once spent a weekend in Bermuda with Diana Ross.

Now for the truth:
Was at a weekend Directors meeting held at the Chairman's villa and she was there with her shipowner husband Arne Naess who was a fellow Director. I must say she was far more charming than Arne could ever be.
Old 16th July 2012, 05:09
Active: 1965 - 1973

Had a beer and a blether with Barry Crump in the Havelock Hotel in Pelorus Sound about 20 years ago. Now, there was a Good Keen Man!
barrinoz.
Old 16th July 2012, 05:12
Spongebob
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

Well Ive bragged this one before, but in 1984 I visited Karlesruhr Germany to inspect a pressure vessel construction and the builder booked me into a hotel in near by Baden-Baden that had hosted as the set for the film "A Touch of Class" starring George Segal and Glenda Jackson.
But wait there is more,
A week or so later I was walking up the steps into Selfridge's Department store in London's Oxford St and swinging a shopping bag when down the steps rushed Glenda also swinging a great big save-all and we bumped into each other causing the bags to tangle. We both apologized and untangled while the crowd around muttered her name, I doubt if I would of known who she was otherwise as she didn't look as sexy as in that film portrayal played out about ten years before.
I think that she was a labour party MP by then

Bob
Old 16th July 2012, 06:43

I saw Glenda Jackson at London airport once and she looked a bloody mess in a floor length black coat. That was a great film though, Bob.

Seeing as everyone is crowing about their "brief encounters", I might as well mention my "piece de resistance": I met Pope John Paul at Brisbane airport, shook his hand and said: "Welcome to Brisbane." I had hoped to get on TV in the UK so all my old pals in Middlesbrough could say: "Who's that c*** with Charlie?" (An old nickname and an even older joke). No such luck, I was upstaged by a load of kids in Polish national costume.

John T
Old 16th July 2012, 12:18
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

#47 don`t you hate it when that happens,kids in national costume,they`re everywhere.
#45Who`s Barry Crump?
Old 16th July 2012, 12:59

Ref. Diana Ross

About ten years ago in a large firm I shared an office with a keen young solicitor whose dream speciality was acting on behalf of pop-singers. He had a credible record in that regard.

His desk was about three feet away from mine. His phone rang (from the firm's Receptionist). He picked up the phone:-

"Yes? Who? Diana Ross? Yes, yes. Put her through! - Hallo? Hallo? Who? - Oh, Dynorod, yes, of course!"

Last edited by Barrie Youde; 16th July 2012 at 14:57..
Old 16th July 2012, 14:27
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Youde View Post
Ref iana Ross

(ps - Don't know why it shows a grinning face instead of a capital D at the start of this post)
Hi Barrie,

See if you can get back in and edit your post and remove the colon that must have been typed in just in front of the capital D in error.

Cheers,

Steve.

Old 16th July 2012, 14:56

Magic!

Many thanks, Moulder!