Paul ND Duffield ex BP 1964(?) Navigating Apprentice - Ships Nostalgia
21:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Paul ND Duffield ex BP 1964(?) Navigating Apprentice

User Tag List

Old 2nd July 2013, 23:30
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Paul ND Duffield ex BP 1964(?) Navigating Apprentice

This June I was contacted by Rachael (Duffield) whose father Paul Duffield had recently died and she was doing some research for his funeral.

I have been helping her out searching for some of the ships he sailed on from the Gull 1964 ( Navigating Apprentice) through Confidence (3M) Sept 1969, Bombardier (2M) May 1971, Forth (X2M) March 1974, Border Castle (CO) 1977/79, Minab (CO) 1979. He moved to Aberdeen, was with the Seagair during her building and following 2 years as Master

He then became a BP Marine Superintendent in Aberdeen until some BP blood letting in 1991

He was a HMS Conway Cadet and a BP Navigating Apprentice probably of the1964 intake. His father in law was BP Master Charles K Temple, he sailed with him on the Confidence in 1969. He appears on my BP Navigating Apprentices/Cadets database at # 1088

If anyone has any memories/photos of Paul I will pass them on to his daughter.

Graham
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2010

My location
Paul Duffield

sorry to read of Paul's death. Worked with him for a short while at Aberdeen Harbour. He left to go work for offshore HSE at Cullen House in Aberdeen. One of the good fellows. Please pass on my condolences to his family.
Alistair
Old 4th July 2013, 20:26

My location
Sorry to learn of Paul's death, he was superintendent when I sailed on Iolair and Seillean, a gentleman, condolences to his family.
Old 6th July 2013, 16:15
Ex marine truck driver
Active: 1968 - 1992

Hi Graham,

I'm very sorry to learn that Paul has passed away, and at no great age. My sincere condolences to his family.

I sailed with Paul on the Forth, he was Second Mate and I was Third Mate. I'm pretty sure his wife Liz was with him.

I joined December 2003 while the ship was still at Scott Lithgow's, and we were living at the Tontine Hotel in Greenock. I think Paul joined around the same time though I'm getting a bit hazy. He was a great shipmate and we got along so well that I asked him to be my Best Man when I got married at the end of '74.

I left the Forth in March '74 and was promoted 2/0, and during that leave my fiancee and I went up to Sunderland(?) to stay with Paul and Liz for a couple of days. They made us very welcome.

I'm sure I have a photo somewhere of Paul and Liz when we went out for a picnic. If I can find it and if it will scan I'll email it to you Graham and you can forward it on to Rachael.

I remember Paul and I were mutually interested in cars. He had a Hunter GLS and I had a Dolomite Sprint which were two of the hottest saloon cars at the time. Wow, that does bring back some memories. I'm sorry we lost touch many years ago, but I guess that's something that happens to many of us.
Old 7th July 2013, 23:46
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Tugboat,

Finally realised who you are , sent you an SN email, but undeliverable so sent SN PM , you can reply to me on my direct email address.
Graham
Old 8th July 2013, 10:54
Ex marine truck driver
Active: 1968 - 1992

Email sent, Graham, thanks for getting in touch.
Old 21st September 2018, 20:03
Active: 1974 - Present

I remember Paul well in his days as Marine Superintendent in Aberdeen when I was on the Iolair/ Seillean before he moved to work for the HSE. I can recall him telling me of one day when he had to go out and buy something of one of the chandlers in Aberdeen using his own credit card so bad was BP Shipping's reputation for paying in good time.
Regards
Richard