Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships - Page 36 - Ships Nostalgia
22:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships

User Tag List

Old 11th June 2013, 12:35

My location
Hi Andre, Like Leo I,ve been away sunning myself in Crete so likewise hence the delay. I sailed with your grandad on the 2nd voyage of the Furness Bridge in Dec 71 to Mar 72, joining in Lavera (S France) and paying-off in Wilhelmshaven ( Germany). The trip was to the Persian Gulf ( Rastanura) via Capetown the ship was to big to go through the Suez canal. I was the Chief Cook and George was Chief Steward my good friend Lennie Farrar was 2nd Steward. George was the sort of person who didn,t suffer fools gladly and I,m glad to say we got on well together and we enjoyed the trip together although the destination left alot to be desired!! the captain that trip was Jimmy Gilzean. I,ve got some old crew lists I,ll look through to tell you some of the other ships he sailed. he was one of Houlders stalwart Chief Stewards, feared by some and truly respected by others, I,m in the latter catagory!! All the Best Alan.

Last edited by ALAN TYLER; 12th June 2013 at 11:14..
Old 11th June 2013, 21:39

Alan , it was in my memory you had sailed with George Black,hence my comment about you responding.I was on the Orotava Bridge with him about 1970 as a junior or fourth engineer , as you say feared by some but I would add respected by all .
For your interest I was at a classic car show at Hamilton Hall Farm St. Michaels on the Wyre on Sunday 9th of June (Achieved Three Score and Ten on that day ) However due traffic and family committments for the late afternoon I had to head for home otherwise I would have looked you up. will have a run over in the near future but will contact you first. Cheers Bob Whittaker

Last edited by BOB.WHITTAKER; 11th June 2013 at 21:41..
Old 12th June 2013, 10:57

My location
Bob, Sorry you couldn,t make it at the weekend, glad you did well in the car show. I was just going to put your time on the Oratava on the site for Andre, according to the crew list you were 3rd Engineer and John Macadam was 1st mate. It would be great it we could meet up again, maybe meet up halfway say at Ribchester if you don,t want to come all the way. In recent months I,ve met up with Leo and Eddie Moore R/O. Hope to see you soon Alan.
Old 12th June 2013, 11:09

My location
Andre, As promised I,ve looked at the crew lists and come up with the following ships George sailed in, obviously he was on alot more but these are the ones I know of. He was still on the Furness Bridge in may 72, Orotava Bridge 1-4-71, Cavendish 1-9-71, Lynton grange 1-9-78. There,s probably photographs of all these ships in the gallery with more info on them. Also if memory serves me right he went offshore on the Oregis briefly when I was sailing in her on a relief trip. Alan.
Old 20th June 2013, 16:50
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Engineering
Active: 1986 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
Andre, As promised I,ve looked at the crew lists and come up with the following ships George sailed in, obviously he was on alot more but these are the ones I know of. He was still on the Furness Bridge in may 72, Orotava Bridge 1-4-71, Cavendish 1-9-71, Lynton grange 1-9-78. There,s probably photographs of all these ships in the gallery with more info on them. Also if memory serves me right he went offshore on the Oregis briefly when I was sailing in her on a relief trip. Alan.
Hi Alan,

Apologies for the late reply. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and supplying me with with some of the ships George sailed on. My wife and I have had a little laugh to ourselves about your comment feared by some and respected by others. Obviously it brought back some fond memories for us. Regards Andre.
Old 20th June 2013, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
Hi Andre.
I've been on holiday hence the late reply. I never sailed with George as we were of the same rank but I'm sure Alan Tyler did as I have heard him talk of him. From all accounts he was a well liked bloke. A friend of his was I'm sure someone called Lenny Farrer but we haven't heard from Lenny for years. Anyway, I'm certain other people will have sailed with George. Another bloke who knew your Grandad was Charlie Brodie who was also from the Carlisle area.

Regards

Leo (Marinero)
Hello Leo, Please accept my apologies for the late reply. Thank you for the above information the name Lenny Farrer rings a bell but I don't recall him mentioning Charlie Brodie but will try to look into it. P.S. Hope the holiday went well. Best Regards Andre
Old 20th June 2013, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie71q View Post
My Father Workd For Houlder Marine Drilling Back in the Mid 70s till it was bought over by Stena Drilling , he then went to work for them.

I think he worked as a Tool Pusher on the KUK and the Dundee Kingsnorth. He then went to work in the Office in Bridge of Don ,

My Fathers name is Jim Harding, I remember Willie Vermullen from the office as well not sure if thats how you spell his name.

take care

Jamie Harding
Hello Jamie, Does your father now work for Saudi Aramco ? Regards Andre
Old 20th June 2013, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreBlack View Post
Hello Jamie, Does your father now work for Saudi Aramco ? Regards Andre
Yes he Does Andre.
Old 21st June 2013, 05:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
Hi Andre, Like Leo I,ve been away sunning myself in Crete so likewise hence the delay. I sailed with your grandad on the 2nd voyage of the Furness Bridge in Dec 71 to Mar 72, joining in Lavera (S France) and paying-off in Wilhelmshaven ( Germany). The trip was to the Persian Gulf ( Rastanura) via Capetown the ship was to big to go through the Suez canal. I was the Chief Cook and George was Chief Steward my good friend Lennie Farrar was 2nd Steward. George was the sort of person who didn,t suffer fools gladly and I,m glad to say we got on well together and we enjoyed the trip together although the destination left alot to be desired!! the captain that trip was Jimmy Gilzean. I,ve got some old crew lists I,ll look through to tell you some of the other ships he sailed. he was one of Houlders stalwart Chief Stewards, feared by some and truly respected by others, I,m in the latter catagory!! All the Best Alan.
Alan, I missed the bit about Ras Tanura first time and thought I would add that it is a very small world, I lived in Ras Tanura for 5 years. At the time of writing this I am sitting at Ras Tanura anchorage on a Seadrill Jack Up rig the AOD-2 waiting for rig move boats for a tow up to Tanajib about 24 hrs North of R.T.
Old 25th June 2013, 04:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - 2017

For those who have long(er) memories in Houlders, Peter Luff and Dave Enever have both recently retired as pilots for Creeksea (River Crouch, Essex). Peter went from Houlders to Trinity House pilot service (latterly as Master on the Sunk cruising cutter before the changeover to launches) then pilot on the river Colne; David via Greenpeace. I think they both left Houlders around 1970.

Saltyswamp; if you are reading this, are you the Stewart (Hood) who wanted to take a pub in Suffolk many years ago?

Regards

Martyn
Old 25th June 2013, 06:22
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Houlder Brothers Crews and ships

Served with both these guys, David on two occasions. Also Peter's brother, David - another Houlder app.
Old 26th June 2013, 03:33
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978

Dave Enever

I sailed with Dave Enever when he was 2/O on the Denby Grange in 1966/7. After we flew home from the Gulf, Dave invited me and the other apprentice for a weekend at his place in East Anglia. We had a great time with him and his wife, Janet. Dave took us down to his parents place in East London to take in a West Ham game at Upton Park. He was a Hammers fanatic but, unfortunately, they were playing Man U and lost to the Reds 6-0. The last time I saw him was at Tower Hill. I was up for Mates and I believe Dave had just completed his Masters.
Old 2nd July 2013, 21:23

Question Help Needed!

Hi all,

I'm looking for information about my father Tony Noon. he served in the Merchant Navy between 1967 - 1969 on the Cerinthus, Bidford Priory and Denby Grange. I think his rank on discharge from the MN was 5th Engineer. What did he do, what was his job role?
I have his Seamans Record Book and know when he sailed and where from, but not where to - why isn't that recorded?
I have the following dates that he sailed and if anyone knows anything, I would be forever in their debt!!
I've tried the national archives etc, but it all seems to be before WW2.....

Cerinthus:
02.08.67 - Ellesmere Port - Discharge: Ellesmere Port 21.10.67 - FGN
21.10.67 - Ellesmere Port - Discharge: Ellesmere Port 26.10.67 - HT RUN
22.11.67 - Greenock - Discharge: Greenock 03.12.67 - FGN
04.01.68 - Barry - Discharge: Ellesmere Port 07.01.68 - FGN
08.01.68 - Ellesmere Port - Discharge: South Shields 29.01.68 - FGN
30.01.68 - South Shields - Discharge: Ellesmere Port 08.04.68 - FGN
09.04.68 - Ellesmere Port - Discharge: Kingston Jamaica 02.07.68 - FGN

Denby Grange:
05.10.68 - Immingham - Discharge: Kristiansand 18.10.68

Bidford Priory:
21.11.68 - Hamburg - Discharge: London 01.05.69

Hope anyone can help!!!
Old 1st August 2013, 22:31
Active: 1971 - 1986

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
For those who have long(er) memories in Houlders, Peter Luff and Dave Enever have both recently retired as pilots for Creeksea (River Crouch, Essex). Peter went from Houlders to Trinity House pilot service (latterly as Master on the Sunk cruising cutter before the changeover to launches) then pilot on the river Colne; David via Greenpeace. I think they both left Houlders around 1970.

Saltyswamp; if you are reading this, are you the Stewart (Hood) who wanted to take a pub in Suffolk many years ago?

Regards

Martyn
That is I, Have not been on site for a while, never did get the pub thank goodness. So now I'am just a lowley newsagent.
stuart
Old 14th August 2013, 22:07
Active: 1975 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy vokes View Post
Hi Dave
did you have a brother who also sailed with houlders, called michael
Hi Billy, sorry for the late reply, yes I do have a brother Michael and he sailed with Houlders and ended up offshore with them. Dave
Old 19th August 2013, 14:55

Clydebridge memories

[QUOTE=Caffj;576561]Re Houlder Bros.
Does anyone remember my late brother-in-law Capt Norman Oddy,(now deceased) or my brother Patrick Cafferty who sailed as Chief Engineer
on quite a few Houlder Bros ships. Norman was master on several of.
their Ore Carriers. He'd been with Houlders since he was an Apprentice.CaffJ[/QUOTE

Can't remember if I've replied to you already. I sailed with Patrick Joseph Cafferty as he is talked about in our house - and ok I was only about 3 years old at the time. I think my dad was 3rd engineer at the time on the Clydebridge (Fred Ditty) . Mum was with us too obviouslt and still talks of him fondly, especially when we get the old photos out.
Old 15th September 2013, 11:05

Charlie Wells

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. I came on to this site to see if anyone remembered my father-in-law Charles (Charlie) Wells who was, among other things, the Master of Thorpe Grange.
We think he also sailed on Rippingham Grange, Condessa and Imperial Transport.
Ian McD remembers him..... does anyone else have any stories? His son Andrew and I are doing a lot of family research and would love some more meat to put on the bones! Fingers crossed! Thanks.
Old 15th September 2013, 12:30
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships

As stated in another thread a short time back, I sailed with Charlie Wells when he first joined the Imperial Transprt. It was his first venture onto tankers and he was not entirely comfortable with the idea!! I had earlier been on her for along spell as apprentice and later was back as 3/0 when Charlie joined.
Old 18th September 2013, 14:35

[QUOTE=jmd999;697729]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffj View Post
Re Houlder Bros.
Does anyone remember my late brother-in-law Capt Norman Oddy,(now deceased) or my brother Patrick Cafferty who sailed as Chief Engineer
on quite a few Houlder Bros ships. Norman was master on several of.
their Ore Carriers. He'd been with Houlders since he was an Apprentice.CaffJ[/QUOTE

Can't remember if I've replied to you already. I sailed with Patrick Joseph Cafferty as he is talked about in our house - and ok I was only about 3 years old at the time. I think my dad was 3rd engineer at the time on the Clydebridge (Fred Ditty) . Mum was with us too obviouslt and still talks of him fondly, especially when we get the old photos out.
Hi.
I sailed with Captain Oddy on the "Oremina" in the back end of 1968.
Like him I also had a stammer and we both had the same habit of putting our heads to one side when we spoke. I spoke with him quite a lot as I was the 2nd Steward and it was quite hilarious to see from all accounts. A very nice bloke and well respected.

Regards

Leo
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:41
Active: 1955 - 1964

I was on the Oswestry Grange in 1957 to BA we had to paint her up on the way home as she was in the film Tiger Bay with John And Hayley Mills bounce
Old 2nd October 2013, 23:07
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Captain Oddy was one of our BISCOre office favourites in the Tees in the earrly 60's. when the smaller vessels were needed for the Gjers Ayresome Wharf....
Nice man.

geoff
Old 14th October 2013, 22:57

how's everyone? still trying to reunite my husband with rick reid. directional driller for houlder marine. take care
Old 19th November 2013, 00:28
Active: 1957 - 1965

Mike Nutbrown.

Sorry to hear about Mike passing. He loved being in charge of the lifeboat when we were doing shore runs. He seemed a bit stiff when I first met him but turned out to be a nice guy.
Old 24th November 2013, 05:50
Active: 1961 - 1968

This is one I have, taken in Bombay around 64-65. I was 4th engineer on the Westbury
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (242.2 KB, 61 views)
Old 24th November 2013, 12:51
Active: 1949 - 1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Norman View Post
Anyone around from Houlders, would be great to hear how you are doing.
Don Coates,I only did one trip on the Clutha River and that was her maiden voyage which turned out to be an unusual and different (??) experience. Anyone interested give me a call. Don

Last edited by DonCoates; 24th November 2013 at 13:01..