Gatx Oswego Uk - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
15:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Gatx Oswego Uk

User Tag List

Old 21st October 2011, 02:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1977 - 1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike stokes View Post
spike stokes,gp,i sailed with you on gatx,good ships and good crowd,always plenty of laughs,remeber rolly sartin,cat/dept,he died about 4 years ago cancer,live in yovil,spike.
Hi Spike I was broken in as a Catering boy on the castleton in 1977, and Rolly Sarting sold me his briefcase tapemachine, he was a great guy to work with! and Reg ??? was the other steward, though he was much older, and probably not around anymore
Old 4th November 2011, 09:37
Department: Engineering
Active: 1967 - 1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by morserules.ok View Post
Hi Guys, Specially Paul,
I sailed on the Bideford in 1972 as R/O, then after I got married (Joan) and myself joined Oct 72 thru to Feb 73.
I had previously sailed on Bideford 1971/72 saving cash to get married. Sailed with an equally nuts Leckie Paul Cooper. Remember delivering the Bonsai trees at Finart? Paul, you were saving up for a Lotus ?? I've forgotten the name, and we met up again at the nautical college in South Shields, and yep you had the Lotus. Hope you are doing well, living in Kiwi??
When wife was onboard, she got her first swimming lesson from Johnnie Lochart on xmas day 1972, she still has the nightmares!!
Had some great times on these unique "T -Pee" tankers, everything got smaller the higher up the tower you went, thank christ I was on tank level!!,
I sailed on Bideford in 71/72. Trip to Kharg island. Last voyage of Captain Smith. Very weird trip. Russian CE Indian 2nd. I was 4th or 5th? Great mates with both the RO (from John O'Groats I recall) and the Electrician. Lost touch with both. Some very funny things happened on the voyage and the Captain and Mate both fell for the Fourth Engs wife which caused some trouble!
Old 17th February 2012, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dwyer View Post
Hi Spike, Yes remember sailing with you on the Gatx crusies! Not been on this site for a while. George Higgins was the other steward and John Hale the C/Off. How are you keeping?
hi, finish at sea 1982,spent up to retirement driving heavy plant,from bulldozer to cranes,still like a drink,spend 4 month a year,away on holiday abroad,on inclusive,of course,rolly sartin did a couple of years ago,had some good times on gatx,all the best to your family,spike.
Old 1st March 2012, 19:04

Thanks Spike glad to see you are keeping well. All fine here also
Old 19th August 2012, 08:29
Department: Purser
Active: 1961 - 1976

Joined the Castleton as Catering Officer in late 1974, then the Cadwallader and finally the Casterbridge. Think Captain on Castleton was Captain Goodinson and C/E Makepeace. Captain on the Casterbridge was Deidrich.
Went ashore after Casterbridge as Port Catering Superintendent for London Drilling Company in Egypt.
Will look out some photographs and post them soon.
Old 5th November 2012, 10:45

Question Gatx Oswego - Michael Cooke 70's ?

Morning All
I am one of Mick Cooke's daughters, just wondering if anyone is still about? Sadly Dad died this year, and ploughing through the old photos came across some tankers, not sure which ones but know Gatx Oswego was one of the companies he worked for
Old 19th December 2012, 21:47

Hi Jackie I was R/O with Gatx for about 9 years in the 70's, I remember an Arthur Cooke, who had a great interest in aircraft and different routes, not sure if we are talking about the same person? If I remember correctly he was employed as a pump man with Gatx. Regds Tom
Old 29th August 2013, 14:44

casterbridge

remember the somali and welsh crew stabbing incident on the casterbridge knives guns blood court case torquay?
Old 27th September 2013, 11:28

Catering boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Galbraith View Post
Goodness! This is a blast from the past. I was deck officer for a couple of trips on the Castleton, a relief on the Cadogan (Teeside/Flotta and Norway) and an epic four month trip on the Carnegie from the Bahamas to Brunei Bay where all we carried was ballast water. Happy days!

Sandy
Hi Sandy, I am chuffed to see this site, I think I have a photo of you still! I was the galley rat (catering boy) on the Castleton, in 1977 and 1979, did the Cadwallader also. Just noticed Roland had died from another member. he was as goog as gold to me, and he managed to flog his record and tape player which was in a briefcase to me for fifty quid? . Names you may remember: Bernie woolgar, Arfur watts, Dai davies, ray Gardner (second cook) In fact there are many more.
Great site.
Gary Trabert

Last edited by gary eastman; 27th September 2013 at 11:38.. Reason: add name
Old 27th September 2013, 11:34

Beat this

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod holroyd View Post
remember the somali and welsh crew stabbing incident on the casterbridge knives guns blood court case torquay?
Hi Rod, I dont know that incident, but remember the yugoslavian pumpman being coshed over the head by a Spanish mechanic, and ended up pulling in to Dakar to let the police helicopter take the Spaniard off, and ended up sliding the pumpman down the freeboard to a boat in a chair thing!(A bit brain dead).We were all in the bar and got splattered by his head fluid, as he got smashed on top from behind. ended up chasing the spaniard around the accomodation and locking him up in the brig! I think this was on the Castleton
Old 27th September 2013, 12:06
Active: 1975 - 1982

Morning all ex GATX men Harry Richardson here sailed 75 to78 I recall JohnnyLockhart as I was junior with him on my first ship Carnegie along with Ned phayres who made me a large brass key as I had my 21st on board april76 .Went on to Cadogan.Castleton and then Cadwalader which we laid up at Itea if my memory is correct unfortunately then made redundant and moved onuiuntil leaving merchant navy in 82
Old 2nd October 2013, 19:19
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1975 - 1984

Hi Harry, my name is Gary wilton and I served on the cadogan from 18/04/77 till 09/09/77 as catering boy the on the cadwalader from 28/11/77 till 16/05/78 as assistant steward unable to obtain a photo of these unusual ships as all the photos I took have been lost.
Old 3rd October 2013, 19:25

Hello Gary
when you joined the Cadogan I had already left but I'm not sure of the exact date that I sailed on the Cadwalader but I'm sure it was late 77 to early 78.
Of the stewards I can only recall a Cornish guy and I think the cooks name was billy a rather camp fellow and very funny. Unfortunately I don't recall yourself thank you for replying
Cheers and good luck for the future
Harry
Old 13th December 2013, 22:20

Quote:
Hi Rod think I sailed with you on one of the Gatx cruises were you 2/Off? If so Capt Milligan was the OM?
Old 5th July 2014, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Richardson View Post
Morning all ex GATX men Harry Richardson here sailed 75 to78 I recall JohnnyLockhart as I was junior with him on my first ship Carnegie along with Ned phayres who made me a large brass key as I had my 21st on board april76 .Went on to Cadogan.Castleton and then Cadwalader which we laid up at Itea if my memory is correct unfortunately then made redundant and moved onuiuntil leaving merchant navy in 82
Hi Harry. For a few seconds there your post had me thinking I was losing my mind.
I was on the Castleton, maybe 1978, when Ned [and his wife] were on board. The 4th Engineer, Davie Niven also had his wife [Lynn] with him and as her 21st was approaching, I suggested making a brass 21st key . Naturally, Ned got involved, manufacturing an engraving machine out of scrap laying around the ship. The key she was presented with on her birthday really was a work of art.
I think Neds wife was a motor mechanic to trade and seemed to like nothing more than crawling through the main boiler with him when it was opened for inspection.
Old 5th July 2014, 10:43

Quote:
Rod, this incident happened before my time with the company but I do recall hearing about it [something to do with a Muslim being told his meal had in fact been pork ?].

I'm certain that Bob Preston, the poster who started the thread would know the full history of it.
Old 12th December 2014, 22:39

Happy Christmas to all ex Gatx Oswego people - good days on the Gatx cruises!
Old 13th December 2014, 19:45

Hi Tom
From your previous messages I feel I should have met you,I joined the Carnegie Dec 75 with Bob Brooke's (3m) and the R O Tony who's surname I forget.From preview replays you mentioned Bob Brooke's so my train of thought is that you either relieved Tony or Tony relieved yourself.That trip in particular was mainly spent at anchor off Dubai for almost three months and then off to Brest or Le Havre if my memory serves me well,Which is where I paid off with Johnny Lockhart(3e) Willy Laird(c/e) Mike Guy and myself,there may have been others but I don't recall.Anyway if none of that triggers any memories of anyone have a merry Christmas anyhow.Best of luck now and for the future
HARRY
Old 5th February 2015, 09:09
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1974 - 1979

Gatx Oswego

Have just found this site and have read all the posts. Very interesting and I love the lot of you.

Mike Dooley
Old 14th May 2015, 14:31

Hello bob i sailed with you a few times in gatex i was a pumpman mainly on the camden also casterbridge cadwallader cadogan and castleton. Good to hear a few of the old names again though nobody mentioned boomboom can still hear him in er
Stay in touch .bob c
Old 14th May 2015, 14:56
user
Department: Navigation
Active: 1974 - 1991

Was he the C/E with the remarkably loud voice? Surname Faber?

Last edited by Scelerat; 14th May 2015 at 15:32..
Old 14th May 2015, 16:18

Yesi think it was faber big tallguy great man to sail with i still have ringing in my ears
A good ce
Old 14th May 2015, 16:20
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
I am sorry to have to inform you that Bob Preston crossed the bar in 2011. He had been suffering from mesothelioma.
He is survived by his wife Shirley.
Old 14th May 2015, 19:53
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1974 - 1979

Bob Preston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Isaac View Post
I am sorry to have to inform you that Bob Preston crossed the bar in 2011. He had been suffering from mesothelioma.
He is survived by his wife Shirley.

Very sorry indeed to hear that news.
Old 14th May 2015, 20:33
user
Department: Navigation
Active: 1974 - 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dooley View Post
Very sorry indeed to hear that news.
As am I. He convinced me that photography was an interesting pastime at sea, and that I should buy a decent camera, which I did that trip in Singapore. His death explains why he never replied to me when I tried to contact him a couple of years ago.