THPV Bembridge - 1938 - Page 59 - Ships Nostalgia
13:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

THPV Bembridge - 1938

User Tag List

Old 24th March 2014, 23:45

My location
New restored elemements

Spring has already came. During winter our bosun Christopher improved many elements of Bembridge.

01 - all port holes in Pilot's Saloon received all originals storm covers

02 - in the same way we improved a style and look of all port holes in Linda's Sutton gallery so former space where were Master's, Chief Engineer and two other officers cabins

03 - stairs leading from Officer's Mess Room to a space described above received all originals brass step's edges - we polished them together with vertical brass shields. As you can see stairs looks really amazing. Almost every day I am over there and I am admiring their taste and very representative look. This stairs are coming from Steam Ferry Lady Seville built in 1897 - so former wooden base vessel of Essex Yacht Club in Leigh-on-Sea dismantled in 1976 - so when she was replaced by former Cosag Marine Services vessel so our Bembridge.

04 - this nice element is not original equipment. It is coming from 1945 from British ferry broken up in Denmark in 2006. It was awfully pained cream and totally dirty and stained. Christopher cleaned everything - now only wax and new glass - and will look as a new one. Where it is placed? It is a main entrance to Bembridge - so doors installed by Essex Yacht Club in 1976 coming again from Lady Seville. Before here was the wash place for Pilots.

05 - long time we were looking for a nice chart table and its drawers for charts. We had it already a few months. It was in elements stored somewhere in fore peak. But only now our bosun placed it back together. Soon whole wood will be cleaned to naked surface. You can see a nice separating wall on the left. Soon all will be painted by dark wax making a colour of all visible elements identical like other wooden elements in our wheel house. Soon whole wheel house will look much better. Soon all equipment stored in our museum will come back here. I know how it will look - you can only imagine. But one day I will present here many new photos showing the most beautiful place on Bembridge.

Soon more.

Greetings from her board,
Rafal and whole crew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (351.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 02.JPG (415.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 03.JPG (298.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 04.JPG (266.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 05.JPG (491.5 KB, 16 views)

Virtual tour http://www.bembridge.pl/bembridge.html

All about her http://www.bembridge.pl
Old 5th April 2014, 07:51

My location
20.09.2009 - one of the most dangerous day in her history

Recently we received these 4 photos presenting our towing via ice fields under a way from Swinoujscie (so entrance to Baltic Sea) and Szczecin. Thickens of ice sometimes was reaching even 40 cm. Soon we will start to sunk after heavy hit received to her bow and big hole made by before welded steel mooring ear. But again she survived.

All photos were made from wheel house of passing by MV Wloclawek. That vessel had a very high located bridge. Unfortunately she is already broken up but Bembridge is like new one. On the last foto you can see MV Wloclawek - photo was made by Kamil by his mobile phone. He was making a photo to Marcin and really by coincidence he catch a vessel of our photo maker.

Greetings Rafal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01_small.jpg (119.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 02_small.jpg (224.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 03_small.jpg (216.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 04_small.jpg (216.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20022009_004_.jpg (55.5 KB, 16 views)

Old 5th April 2014, 22:08

My location
Amazing pictures, Rafal ! My goodness, what a history that ship has and it is still happening!
Old 18th April 2014, 09:43

My location
Thanks Hugh

I like when your comments are here as a last ones - so I am trying not to hide them by my answer. Thanks for your support Hugh!!!

Old 18th April 2014, 10:05

My location
Next great return - 3 Lions of Trinity House

28.09.1938 - just after a successful sea trials Bembridge was commissioned by Trinity House London. Than vessel received several items very characteristic for all TH pilot and other TH vessels. All these details were so characteristic that every seaman could see from far away approaching vessel of Holy Trinity. Let me list all of them:

1. Two flags of Trinity House - first one was on fore flagpole - it was Trinity House jack and second one on aft flagpole - it was a typical British merchant flag with typical four fields TH sign on the corner. Presently Bembridge has her original fore flagpole mounted on her stern. We fond it in her bilges fully rusty. After restoration it looks as a new one. Soon we will move it to its original place on bow. What about stern flagpole? We have original brass basement (found in one drawer in superstructure cabin), we already made an original wooden mast with height ca 5 m, we prepared a brass bracket to mount it to the board too. So soon a long wooden flagpole will come back to her stern. By the way we have both flags - we have two originals taken from her in 1971 when TH sold Bembridge and we have a new set received from Trinity House London - from former Deputy Master. Both sets are under our deck - we have no rights to use them outside. Maybe one day we will receive such a rights - but it is something for a future.

2. Trinity House Crest - our original TH Crest is already placed on its original place - so first on the front of our wheel house we placed a wooden shield. Later on we placed original TH Crest what we received from former TH Pilot and Younger Brother of TH Andrew Adams. He received it especially for Bembridge project from widow after one of former TH Superintendent. When he was dying he asked his wife to give it to us. So Andrew fulfilled his last will.

3. Three TH Lions - they were in three different places. TH Lion is very characteristic. Lion is sitting, keeping a sword in one "hand" and has a King Crown on his head. Where they were? One was on the top of fore flagpole, second one on aft long flag pole, third one was on the top of bell holder - frame on the top of two dolphin supporting a horizontal bare where bell was connected. Three lions were identical. So we have one lion coming from Bembridge again from Cpt. Andrew Adams. He received it from one of his friends - it was before on Bembridge too. Second lion is on original bell holder - we know where it is - it will revert to Bembridge still this year I hope. I saw it together with Kamil Hajduk when we were in UK. We than received a promise that if we will find original Bell than we will receive our holder too. As you remember (my previous posts) we received last year our Bell from Sylvia Oliver and her son Jonathan. Sylvia's husband Harold Olivier was by 30 years a TH Superintendent of Pilotage Depts and he completed his duties in 1988 when TH closed a Pilotage Dept. Unfortunately Harold left us in 2009 just after Bembridge's wreck arrived to Poland. But Harold being somewhere - maybe just on Bembridge - acting via his wife Sylvia and his son Jonathan reworded our project by returning his bell to our vessel. Bell left Bembridge in 1969. All lions left Bembridge on the end of 1970. I know that you are thinking now: how items which left her board over 40 years ago are now returning to her so easy? I was born in 1969 - for me these 45 years is exactly whole my life time. For our Friend Hugh Ferguson - it is only a half of his life and looking at his memory records a very close time period. So how all these items are coming back? Sorry guys, I can not answer. For me it is impossible too. Somebody can say - these Polish guys have a luck, she has a luck as a vessel. OK, you can have a luck with one or two things. But how to explain a luck with everything? Almost everybody in UK when Bembridge was over there was calling her "Bembridge, haunted vessel" but in our case it is not a negative meaning. It is just a positive energy being on the vessel which is saving her by so many years, which found a new owners and which is attracting all items to come back to her. I am very much involved in her project but even I can not believe that it is just a luck.

Ok, but we lost a main topic line - so we have now two lions - one in our museum received from Cpt. Andrew Adams and second one waiting for us in UK being originally mounted on Bell holder.

Please look at post No. 1300 in this thread being on page No 52 - than we were contacted for the first time by Mark Stanford under his SN Nick: St.Olave51. Soon after a first contact Mark sent us an original Bembridge's TH Log Book from 1967. Only one deck log book from TH time what we have. That log book was saved by Ken Wyles who was a second and later on first officer on Bembridge.

So few days ago Mark Stanford contacted us on our facebook page and sent us a message with two unknown photos of Bembridge - when I will have them in better resolution from Mark I will publish them on SN.

We had a nice posts exchange and suddenly Mark written (Mark given us a permission to publish it) :

Mark: Did you manage to get the TH lion made for the main mast?

Us: TH Lion? Not yet. I have one from Andrew Adams - it will go to the top of bow flag mast - we have original one still today mounted on her stern. But ... soon we will move it to bow to its original place - unfortunately without TH Jack - we can not us it as you know. For her stern we have original basement for flag mast and wooden mast made from mahogany with its original length so over 5 m. To the top we need to have a Lion too. Additionally we know who has got original holder of Bembridge's bell with its original lion too. But we are working on him to get back whole set. I suppose you know that we have original bell already from Sylvia Oliver?

Mark: That's interesting & I saw the fantastic bell from Mrs Oliver! It's beautiful! I have given this a lot of thought, & feel it is now the right thing to do. Many years ago Ken Wyles told me he had the TH lion from Bembridge's mast (he said main mast) he removed it himself when she was sold from The Trinity House Pilot Service. I now have the lion in my collection & would like to return it to it's rightful place

Us: WOW ....... AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Sorry, Mark, now you must come yourself with it to Bembridge and please do not forget to take a uniform (My comments: Mark has got a complete uniform of Ken Wyles - we only had no time to take it from him - but this year I will meet Mark for sure!!!)

Mark: Will send you a photo when i am home & will have to see how i can get out to you somehow

Us: Our local journalists and TV will be very interesting. I must give them any info when anything is arriving back to Bembridge. I think that this lion was not on a main head mast but on her rear mast. What do you thing? So high mounted lion? Strange - but I am not an expert on Trinity House elements on Pilots cutters. I know that there were three lions: 1. On the bell holder over a bell 2. on her stern flag mast and 3. on her bow flag mast. I simply hearing for the first time about lion No. 4. Mark, make me a favour - please sent me a few photos of that lion and dimensions. I will publish this news on our facebook - it is really a sensation news. All our fans will be more than happy!!!

Mark: I will certainly send a photo & dimensions my friend maybe Ken meant just a mast? I also have Kens pilotage service officers cap & badge which i will give to you i have never flown & don't drive a car (only boats lol) so would look at flying out to you.

Us: Mark, please take a flight to Berlin - it is a cheapest one - I will collect you from Berlin - it is only 150 km away from us. Let me know when - it will be a great pleasure for me and for all of us. Andrew Adams was on our board last year during The Tall Ships Races. He is a Younger Brother of TH. Wow - so we will be able to make a new Pilot - we have one in uniform of Hugh Ferguson (called Pilot Hugh) . A set from you will create a second Pilot for our Pilot Saloon - so Pilot Ken?

Mark: That would be fantastic! Thank you! i will check my holidays at work & let you know. & i think Ken was a 1st or 2nd mate on board. So maybe officer Ken? Whatever you think

Us: OK, let it be an Officer Ken. So I am waiting for details of your arrival. A ... I was just speaking with Andrew Adams - he written a book about 500 years of TH together with Cpt Richard Woodman. He is sure that your lion was taken not from a flag mast - so it is mean when you will come than you will be able to place your lion on the bow flag mast yourself. I will sent you a photos of both flag masts when they will be ready and being in right place.

Mark: Will let you know as soon as i can & Andrew would know better than I & for me to do that would be a great honour!

Mark: Here is the Lion Rafal, it's approximately 220 mm high, & the base is approx 130 mm across.

Us: Wow, great thanks!!! Beautiful, so now we will have two Lions for both flag masts!!! Amazing, how everything is coming back to her.
Really amazing and everything because of our friends in UK and because everybody admire an Old Lady Bembridge

Mark: It's amazing to me that she has been restored to such a original condition by you & your team! A truly superb job!

Us: Really nobody knows how we manage to do it and how it really succeed. Without such a people like you, Andrew Adams, Hugh Ferguson and many others it would be not possible. I have almost 300 e-mail addresses of people in UK who where helping us in our project so we can simply say that it was a real international team of restorers. Really big international network job - one story was restoration of our vessel and another restoration of her history and this second story was really much more difficult

Mark: So many people have played a part in her restoration but it was a seed sewn by yourself i believe? Here is Kens officers cap

Us: What I like in this story is that every item lost by her like this lion over 40 YEARS AGO are returning to her like somebody just rented it for a while and every such item has own history started with Bembridge and her crew and later on leaving separately with different owners and on the end is returning home. Beautiful cap - we will place next to it his photo. Will be nice and than he will me memorised on Bembridge - so another crew member will return to her

Mark: That will be lovely! & it is almost surreal that everything is returning to her! A reflection of the great job you have done of bringing the old lady back to life

I know that this post it too long - but how to please here so many emotions, stories and good will of everybody who is helping us in one or two sentences.

Now something to Harold Oliver:

Harold thanks a lot for your special care for Bembridge. We know that not only your bell is on her board now. It is nice that you are still our Superintendent. :-)

Soon more interesting stories, photos and news.

Have a happy Eastern Holidays!!!

Best greetings Rafal

Old 13th May 2014, 23:09

My location
The Sea Training School

Hello,

In 1971 and 1972 there was the Sea Training School on board of Bembridge.

Here is everything on our www:

http://www.bembridge.pl/cms.php?pid=341

Please look at an interview with Mr. Eric St-John Foti - a principle of that school

http://www.felixstowetv.co.uk/videos...-life-part-15/

Greetings Rafal

Old 14th May 2014, 08:02

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafal Zahorski View Post
Spring has already came. During winter our bosun Christopher improved many elements of Bembridge.

01 - all port holes in Pilot's Saloon received all originals storm covers

02 - in the same way we improved a style and look of all port holes in Linda's Sutton gallery so former space where were Master's, Chief Engineer and two other officers cabins

03 - stairs leading from Officer's Mess Room to a space described above received all originals brass step's edges - we polished them together with vertical brass shields. As you can see stairs looks really amazing. Almost every day I am over there and I am admiring their taste and very representative look. This stairs are coming from Steam Ferry Lady Seville built in 1897 - so former wooden base vessel of Essex Yacht Club in Leigh-on-Sea dismantled in 1976 - so when she was replaced by former Cosag Marine Services vessel so our Bembridge.

04 - this nice element is not original equipment. It is coming from 1945 from British ferry broken up in Denmark in 2006. It was awfully pained cream and totally dirty and stained. Christopher cleaned everything - now only wax and new glass - and will look as a new one. Where it is placed? It is a main entrance to Bembridge - so doors installed by Essex Yacht Club in 1976 coming again from Lady Seville. Before here was the wash place for Pilots.

05 - long time we were looking for a nice chart table and its drawers for charts. We had it already a few months. It was in elements stored somewhere in fore peak. But only now our bosun placed it back together. Soon whole wood will be cleaned to naked surface. You can see a nice separating wall on the left. Soon all will be painted by dark wax making a colour of all visible elements identical like other wooden elements in our wheel house. Soon whole wheel house will look much better. Soon all equipment stored in our museum will come back here. I know how it will look - you can only imagine. But one day I will present here many new photos showing the most beautiful place on Bembridge.

Soon more.

Greetings from her board,
Rafal and whole crew.
We called them "deadlights". I remember on one occasion, on board the THPV Pelorus in bad weather, we fouled a coaster anchored under the lee of Dungeness. We lay alongside each other and couldn't get clear.
We had to rush down to the sleeping quarters and secure the deadlights toute suite in case a glass got busted.
Old 15th May 2014, 23:31

My location
Thanks Hugh!

Hello Hugh,

As you see I still must improve my English.

When we were preparing Bembridge for towing to Poland I was closed myself all deadlights. Many glasses in port holes were broken. So I used a foam in spray used to mount a windows frames inside a wall holes. So I was spraying a lot of foam and than I was closing them all. In few cases I was using even a very solid material to close all holes in really broken glass. So all deadlights saved Bembridge during towing.

Tomorrow I will show here a very interesting guest who arrived last Sunday next to Bembridge

Greetings Rafal

Old 16th May 2014, 09:49

My location
Nothing amiss with your English, Rafal, lots of locals don't recognise that word.
Old 18th May 2014, 11:59

My location
A new photos made from flying dron

Hugh - do not worry - I like when you are improving my English. Any human being must learn whole life :-)

Now a few new photos made by Tomasz Laskowski. He used his flying dron with camera

Have a nice weekend

Rafal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bembridge_1.jpg (231.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Bembridge_2.jpg (159.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Bembridge_3.jpg (129.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Bembridge_6.jpg (221.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Bembridge_7.jpg (113.6 KB, 17 views)

Old 18th May 2014, 14:27

Trinity House

Take a look at http://tinyurl.com/okualbe Its for Trinity House personnel.
Old 19th May 2014, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafal Zahorski View Post
Hello,

In 1971 and 1972 there was the Sea Training School on board of Bembridge.

Here is everything on our www:

http://www.bembridge.pl/cms.php?pid=341

Please look at an interview with Mr. Eric St-John Foti - a principle of that school

http://www.felixstowetv.co.uk/videos...-life-part-15/

Greetings Rafal

Hi Rafal thanks for the link to the Eric Foti interview, my brother and I have been loving every minute of it. I can not believe how he hasn't changed after all these years, in looks and manner. We are trying to work out which boy was the murderer lol It could of be one of many!

Your latest pictures look fantastic the Bembridge could not look any better!
Old 21st May 2014, 22:24

My location
Our very prestige award

We have a great pleasure to announce that on last Friday, 16th May 2014 during the biggest meeting of Maritime Industry in Poland - Baltic Herring Meeting we were honoured as a crew and Owner of vessel Bembridge by very prestige award "Amber Laurel of Baltic 2014.

We received this award for our 15 years of maritime activity but of course main accent was placed on our project so THPV Bembridge 1938.

Here is a link to a gallery with photos - award is received by me and I was representing all of us at that event:

http://www.24kurier.pl/Multimedia/Fo...erring-Meeting
(9 zdjęć)

Tomorrow we are going to a special event organised by a President of our Szczecin City - we are nominated to his business award

So let's see morrow, greetings Rafal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 185316.jpg (73.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 185150.jpg (66.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0251 - Kopia (Kopiowanie).JPG (215.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0254 (Kopiowanie).jpg (123.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 1007_0001 - Kopia (Kopiowanie).jpg (127.3 KB, 3 views)

Old 29th May 2014, 22:04

My location
Two British beauties ...

A few days ago we had an European Night of Museums. We taken part in that event. Over 500 people visited Bembridge - we had 4 groups at 16:00, 18:00, 20:00 and 22:30. Especially last two groups were admiring her all navigational lights. During that day Old Lady Bembridge was visited by her younger British collogues born in 1969. Of course it is famous RR Silver Shadow and as you can see it was really a silver one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (511.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 02.JPG (535.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 03.JPG (516.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 04.JPG (224.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 05.JPG (477.9 KB, 4 views)

Old 29th May 2014, 22:43

My location
Two British beauties ... part II

part II
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06.JPG (461.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 07.JPG (478.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 08.JPG (436.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 09.JPG (504.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 10.JPG (477.3 KB, 2 views)

Old 29th May 2014, 22:52

My location
Two British beauties ... part III

11 - 12 - sunset
13 - you can see the Pilots Saloon via portholes
14 - 15 - and mast with whole its lighting - looks great - we saw it only few times - usually when is dark we are not present and normally all navigational lanterns are always off.

Greetings Rafal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.JPG (478.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 12.JPG (448.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (419.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (425.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (257.3 KB, 10 views)

Old 3rd June 2014, 12:18
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1950 - 1989

Good luck Rafal glad you found some of the drawings and log books you were really fortunate JJ
Old 3rd June 2014, 18:27

My location
Thanks a lot. Better to say that all these items found Bembridge back after so many years. Constantly new and new people are contacting us her on Ship's Nostalgia and via our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/THPV.BEMBRIDGE.1938

How Hugh said: This saga will never be ended :-)

Thanks for joining us, greetings Rafal

Old 5th July 2014, 20:16

My location
Our letters

The main part of our restoration is completed. Of course there are hundreds of details what we still must complete or what we should improve.

We made three letters and we sent them to UK to the most important persons related to our vessel and her historical function.

Let me present the first letter - we have already received the answer.

It was sent to Trinity House Deptford Strond, to Deputy Master Cpt. Ian McNaught. He answered us in the same day when he received our letter.

So first let me show you our letter - I would like to draw you attention to the nice stamp on the end of this letter.

tbc ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1097_0001.jpg (126.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1097_0002.jpg (163.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 1097_0003.jpg (156.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 1097_0004.jpg (150.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1097_0005.jpg (105.8 KB, 8 views)

Old 5th July 2014, 20:22

My location
Our letters part II

To each letter we attached printed set of photos in order to attract the person to whom the letter was addressed

Photos:

1 - Bembridge 1938 and 1955
2 - towing from Swinoujscie (entrance port to Szczecin from Baltic sea) to Szczecin harbour during winter and via ice fields on Piastowski Channel - February 2009
3 - 5 - her restoration April - June 2009
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (118.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (315.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (147.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (120.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (180.9 KB, 5 views)

Old 5th July 2014, 20:26

My location
Our letters part III

Photos:

1 - 3 rebuilding of her hull - May - August 2009
4 - her today look
5 - British accents and traces on board: upper photo: TH crest dated 1950 from launch 40', Queen's flag from her visit on board from 60' and photo of HM Queen and HRH Prince from their Silver Jubilee so from 1977. lower photo: BEMBRIDGE LONDON visible again on her stern and over the stern you can see British merchant navy flag under our gaff.

tbc ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06.jpg (343.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 07.jpg (308.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 08.jpg (299.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 09.jpg (142.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (119.4 KB, 5 views)

Old 5th July 2014, 20:54

My location
Our letters part IV

photos:

1 - another British elements
2 - former letter from former Deputy Master of TH - Sir Jeremy De Halpert
3 - the small TH crest and two flags - so attachments to the first letter
4 - 5 - envelope and letter - both hand written what we really appreciate with pleasure and we are treating as a great honour to our vessel and all of us.

I hope soon will come two others answers.

Greetings Rafal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (191.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (77.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (182.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1151_0001 (Kopiowanie).jpg (79.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 1152_0001 (Kopiowanie).jpg (95.1 KB, 10 views)

Old 17th July 2014, 09:49

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ferguson View Post
Following on from my post#286, this is the story of how William Stanton, Deal boatman, got to be a Cinque Ports Pilot:-

"About the years 1832/33, there being a great stir among the boatmen of Deal, complaining of the great hardships and privations they had to endure not being able to enjoy the least privilege belonging to the town, particularly the Pilot System. I (William Stanton) being one deputed by the boatmen to get a petition drawn up and signed by the whole town, and sent to the Lords and Commons, which was done, and a select committee was appointed to examine witnesses on the same. I being summoned as a witness before the Committee of the House of Commons.

Chief of the grievances complained of was not making Deal men Deal Pilots. His Grace the Duke of Wellington said it should be altered, and told us to send two boatmen to the next Court (of Lodemanage), which was done.
I being one selected by the whole body of Deal boatmen; the other was balloted for. I found them determined not to pass a man under the "Blue Interest." More particular, I being at that time what was termed a "No Freeman" (of Dover) , and T. Trowbridge M.P. our member and my Patron, was all serious obstacles. On the Wardens reporting to His Grace my not passing, he sent the Crier of the Court after me, to bring me before him. He told me His Grace wanted to see me immediately.

When I came before him he told me that he understood from his officers that I was nearly competent-now make it your study to be quite so by the time of the ensueing Court, and mind you attend again!
The time began to draw near for the next Court. I knew it was no use going there under the interest of T. Trowbridge, therefore I made up a full determination to see the Duke in person. Many of my friends tried to persuade me from such a rash act, saying it was impossible for me to get an interview withe the Duke without some letter of introduction, and very likely I might get myself into trouble. However, my mind was made up and I did not intend to alter it or equivocate for anything. I knew well that if it was to be done it must be done by a bold step. I went up to Walmer, entered the gates and asked to see His Grace. His Grace's valet asked, "Who are you and what is youe business"? I told him no one would understand except His Grace the Duke. "Have you any letter of introduction"? No, I said. "Where do you belong to"? I said, Deal. I am gong to Deal will you walk with me? I said, with pleasure and as we were walking he told me His Grace was at Dover and if I would tell him my business he would assist me if it was in his power.
I then told him the whole concern when he told me the Duke was sure to be out on the lawn before the Castle at 2PM tomorrow, when I could use my own pleasure, but if anyone was with him, he begged and prayed of me not to address him. he said it made him tremble at the very thought of my determination. He said he would watch my reception from the ramparts of the castle.
The next day I was at my post at 2 o'clock. The Duke came out of the castle but his brother was with him. I thought of nelson's motto, "Delays are dangerous"-so when they turned to walk towards me, I pulled off my cap and let His Grace know that I wished to speak with him. He sang out, "Put on your hat" with such a voice that it went from the crown of my head down to my toes like a flash of lightening. he says, "What's your name and business"? I said, if it please your Grace, I have, accordingf to your orders, at the last Court made myself competent for another examination, if you will be so kind as to grant it. He said he thought he knew the face, and ordered me to mke my application and off he started at a quick pace. I followed him, and said, if it please your Grace, what quarter have |i to make my application as I stand quite friendless? He said write it out yourself and bring it to the Castle at 12 o'clock tomorrow.
I went home and wrote it out to the best of my ability. The next day I went with my document to the Castle and the valet was at the gate to receive me; he bid me sit down and placed a fine luncheon before me; he than took my document to His Grace. On his return he told me I might make sure of success, for His Grace had told him of my coming, and likewise set me out some refreshment. I tanked him for his assistance and returned home and wrote.

The Court came. I was called and passed and evrthing going very pleasantly during the whole day. His Grace sent for me and invited me to dine with him, which I, of course accepted, and a most splendid set out it was, of every luxury you could think of. I left at 7 PM and made the best of my way home to Deal. I received the undermentioned document from Dover Castle as Supernumeror:-

I DO HEREBY CERTIFY THAT WILLIAM HENRY STANTON HAS BEEN EXAMINED AND HAS QUALIFIED TO BE A PILOT OF THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE CINQUE PORTS, AND HE SHALL BE ADMITTED THEREIN WHEN A VACANCY SHALL OCCUR. Thos Pain, Registrar 4th Nov.1834.
I love that, the Duke must have dined William well but just fancy, a common Deal boatman getting to dine with the most famous man of that time, the Duke of Wellington!
Old 27th July 2014, 08:42

My location
Your sub page on www.bembridge.pl

Hello Hugh,

This story is already long time on your sub page:

http://www.bembridge.pl/cms.php?pid=333

together with many interesting other stories.

Maybe some another stories to be written?

Best greeting Rafal

Old 27th July 2014, 10:04

My location
New article in The County Press

Hello, let me share with you a new article from the County Press written by Richard Wright. The County Press is the biggest newspaper on IOW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TCP_18072014.jpg (240.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg TCP_18072014_2.jpg (278.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg TCP_18072014_3.jpg (284.6 KB, 7 views)