coasters - Ships Nostalgia
18:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

coasters

User Tag List

Old 31st May 2016, 01:30

coasters

Never sailed on a coaster, normally how many ranks were there.
Old 31st May 2016, 03:43
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Deck
Active: 2000 - 2004

Depends what era you're thinking of. I worked on 3 German coasters and 1 British one between 2000-2004 and on all of them there was a Captain and Mate, 2 Deckhands and a cook. No engineers.

When my father worked on German coasters between 1966-73 I think there was a Captain, mate, engineer, two or three deckhands and a cook. Smaller ships with larger crews, but there was also much more work and skill involved in day to day operation of the ships.
Old 31st May 2016, 04:58
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1953 - 1981

Coaster Crew...

In 1953 there was a Captain, Mate, Bosun, and two deck hands in the deck department and two engineers and three firemen down below. In addition there was the cook who took weekly money from all of us to buy victuals and make the meals.

I was the Deck Boy and shared the port half of the focsl with the AB and the three firemen accommodated in the starboard half. Master and Mate were down below in the raised quarterdeck of the amidships house and the Bosun occupied the cabin immediately below the wheelhouse. The cook and the engineers were aft in the fidley house on the raised poop with the galley immediately abaft the cross coal bunker.

Vessel was the s.s. "Beryl" (coal burner) of Robertsons of Glasgow. We carried household coal from Scotland to Ireland and the Western Islands and occasionally slate(?) from LLandulas to Glasgow.

It was a Summer job I shall long remember with great pleasure. Convinced me I should go deep sea and joined Andrew Weirs' as an Apprentice, much to the disappointment of my parents but turned out to be a great career move. There, we had 42 crew made up of Serangs, Tindals, Cassabs, Secunnies, Topasses and Bhandaries, not to mention Tailwallahs in the ER.

Alistair

Last edited by Alistair Macnab; 31st May 2016 at 05:03..
Old 31st May 2016, 05:21
Active: 1950 - 1990

My last coaster on the NZ coast in April 1965 was Master, Mate, 2nd Mate 3 Engineers, Donkeyman, Cook, Steward, 5 ABs, and 1 OS. Total of 15 crew.

Last edited by Kaiser Bill; 31st May 2016 at 05:23..
Old 31st May 2016, 05:33
Bilge Rat
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
In the 60's there was a captain, Mate, Bosun, 2 deck hands, 2 engineers, a greaser and a cook. we all paid the cook each week
Old 31st May 2016, 05:49
Active: 1960 - 1991

In the late sixties early seventies on non federated coasters there were a skipper, mate, two deckhand's and a cook if you were lucky.
Old 31st May 2016, 06:21
Active: 1970 - Present

The Vital Spark had a crew of 4.
Alistair you can add Agwallah's and a Paniwallah down below.
Current Safe Manning for a 3500 GT multipurpose coaster would be 6: Master, Mate, Engineer, AB, AB-Oiler and AB-Cook. If trading in NW Europe it is almost impossible to ensure the Hours of Rest and MLC 2006 regulations are met without additional personnel. Good ship managers add a Second Officer and a Bosun to the crew to prevent fatigue, but as is only too usual the unscrupulous manager operates with the minimum. Need any more be said?
Old 31st May 2016, 07:24

My location
In 1960 the Pladda had master ,mate 2nd mate ,2 engineers ,bosun , 2 ab,s 1 ordinary seaman and cook . Also donkey an in the engine room . Western Coast had master , mate , 2nd mate ,2 engineers, bosun ,3 seamen , donkeyman and cook .
Alex .c .
Old 31st May 2016, 07:28
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

What defines a coaster? Is it the gross tonnage , power plant or just the route?
NZ Union steamship coasters carried the master, three mates, four engineers, an electrician, Three motormen (greasers) three stewards , two cooks and perhaps eight or more ABs .

Bob
Old 31st May 2016, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
What defines a coaster? Is it the gross tonnage , power plant or just the route?
NZ Union steamship coasters carried the master, three mates, four engineers, an electrician, Three motormen (greasers) three stewards , two cooks and perhaps eight or more ABs .

Bob
Down here Bob, coasters were ships that signed home trade articles and just paddled round the coast.
Old 31st May 2016, 09:44
Active: 1954 - 1967

"Crew Agreements, detailed contracts between a seaman and his employer, carried on beyond 1857, and provide greater information about the crew, apprentices, ships and voyages.
For ships engaged in the home trade (coasters and fishing vessels, operating in UK coastal waters, or from the UK to North European and Baltic ports) records of agreements were submitted twice a year and usually include a list of all sailings and arrivals for the half-year.
Agreements for vessels in the foreign trade were submitted at the end of each voyage and do not include this information, just a general voyage description with dates."
National Museums Liverpool

An old term, "Brest to Elbe", regarding Home Trade limits (?), is rattling about in my mind but I can't pin it down and so could well be false.

Keith
Old 31st May 2016, 11:31
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
I sailed as a sparky on the Horsham, a Stephenson Clarke 'Flattie.' She was just over the limit that required a sparky, but in all fairness there really wasn't much work to do, and considering I was doing the second three months of my junior time, it didn't do me much good either ... although I did enjoy it.
She sailed in the main from the Northeast Coast to the Thames, occasionally would pop across to Amsterdam for grain. One trip we went deep sea and sailed through the Dover Strait to Southampton, a dark place beyond the Gates of Mordor according to the mostly Geordie crew. A Captain, two mates, two engineer and myself. The crew were four or five I think.
Old 31st May 2016, 11:40
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Macnab View Post
iIn 1

Vessel was the s.s. "Beryl" (coal burner) of Robertsons of Glasgow. We carried household coal from Scotland to Ireland and the Western Islands and occasionally slate(?) from LLandulas to Glasgow.
If it was Robertsons of Glasgow Alistair in LLandulas you would load limestone from their quarry there.
Old 31st May 2016, 11:46
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
When I was in Robertsons we had as crew
Master and two mates
Three engineers
Bosun and three deckhands
Cook and one steward.
These so called coasters went form North Norway to Medi and were on foreign going agreement!!!
Old 31st May 2016, 11:48

Hi on some of them now you don't get a cook you get one or two microwaves ovens sam2182sw
Old 31st May 2016, 12:25
Active: 1961 - 1968

The coasters I sailed on had master, mate, chief and second engineer, two ab,s ordinary seaman and cook. We paid grub money each week to the skipper who then gave it to the cook. I think home trade was from the Ushant to the Elbe.
Old 31st May 2016, 13:24

Hi
I was in the Warwickbrook in 69 and the crew consisted of Master Mate 2nd Mate,Chief Eng 2nd Eng Donkeyman Bosan 3 ABs Cook and the Gallyboy
You were deducted £2 a week old money for your grub 5 shillings a week old money for the Television the company put 14 shillings a week per person towards the grub if the cook spent to much it came out of the Masters pocket so now and again you were on a diet till the master got his money back
An AB was on about £15 a week overtime 6 shillings and 2p an hour
Granty
Old 31st May 2016, 14:27
Active: 1978 - 1990

'Vauban' of Kernow Shipping, 283grt(?), 1978; Master, Mate, 1 AB, 1 Deck Boy.
Old 31st May 2016, 18:23

# 7

The Vital Spark had "four men and a derrick"!

In British & Continental ss Co (1965) we even had three Mates, of which I was the Third, trading West Coast UK to the Low Countries.
Old 31st May 2016, 19:17
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
The Home Trade was The Elbe to Brest. Limited European Area is now approximately Narvik to Gibraltar. I agree with previous posts about manning.
Old 31st May 2016, 22:16
Active: 1954 - 1967

When with General Steam in the 60s, I recall that small, competitive Dutch “Skuts” were thought to be partly responsible for major reductions in the UK coaster fleet.

Keith
Old 31st May 2016, 23:48

We have a coaster here of 375 GRT that has a Master, Mate, Watchkeeper and an Engineer.
Old 1st June 2016, 00:37

I was on a coaster called Esso Mersey (around 25000 tons).There were stacks of us on board.

John T
Old 1st June 2016, 01:01
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Bill View Post
Down here Bob, coasters were ships that signed home trade articles and just paddled round the coast.
Right Bill, I am forgetting all those smaller coasters owned by Anchor, Northern, Wilsons and Holm lines etc.
Union co had all their colliers plus the Katui and Karamu dedicated to home trade but manned by full strength crews as for the foreign traders
Checking my discharge certificates I see that one of mine issued while on the collier Kaitangata is stamped "Home Trade" while another is stamped "Foreign going" , all while plodding to and from thr West coast. Take your pick!

Bob
Old 2nd June 2016, 10:57
Active: 1963 - 1990

My location
when sailing with Marpro of london there was the old man,mate,self and another engineer,cook,and four AB's on the Mariyos City running UK - spain-med,while the Mariyos 1, think had old man,mate,self,3Ab's and one of them did the cooks job,she ran between Dean Quarry and the Thames with rock