Rowbotham Tankships Ltd - Page 15 - Ships Nostalgia
03:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Rowbotham Tankships Ltd

User Tag List

Old 2nd August 2017, 13:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Hi skyline2500cc - I don't think we met but certainly your Dad Willie Hawthorn was a name I came across a lot in Milford as he was always present to help out with mechanical problems! Keith Holman was also well known throughout the fleet.
Sadly many of the names we all knew have now sailed away for the last time .. but there are certainly some great memories remaining with us that are left.
Good days for sure - I think we had the best times on the best ships.
Old 19th September 2017, 13:11

I have just joined this site and have read the postings on this thread with interest and there are many familiar names . I was in the first draft of Class IV cadets in 1975 and my first ship was the Wheelsman with Stevie Pond as Master and Rusty Buchan as mate, Clive Stevens was with me. I also sailed on Centaurman, Helmsman, Vegaman, Bridgeman, Orionman. My First trip as second mate was eventful, I went straight from Warsash to the Tillerman in Feb '79 and it promptly caught fire in the accommodation just of lands end R. Owen was the Captain. After the fire I went to Mexico on the Vegaman, and when I came back I was mostly regular second mate on the Bridgman with Stevie Pond and Daisy Andrews. The only person I have met from my those days is Jim Kerr who was a fellow cadet who was, and may still be a Marine Superintendent at Fishers. I left to go to University 1982, but still did holiday reliefs whilst there, I did a degree in Ship Science (Naval Archtecture) at Cardiff. Since then I have still been in the Maritime world and spending time offshore working in, Ship design, submarine cable laying and Warranty Surveying. More used to big DP construction vessels and cable ships these days. Must say when I was on deck with Rowbothams I never expected to end up as a Chartered Engineer!
Old 19th September 2017, 16:47

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
My First trip as second mate was eventful, I went straight from Warsash to the Tillerman in Feb '79 and it promptly caught fire in the accommodation just of lands end R. Owen was the Captain. After the fire I went to Mexico on the Vegaman, and when I came back I was mostly regular second mate on the Bridgman with Stevie Pond and Daisy Andrews.
You were on the Tilly just before I joined Rockies in March 1980 then Alex.
'Rusty' was Skipper when I sailed with him, he joined the Tilly in Falmouth to take her up the the Western Isles when the Guidesman came off the rum - and he never left until he retired!

You must have been with Peter Marris (Mate) on the Bridgeman then?
Old 21st September 2017, 09:57

I sailed with Rusty as skipper on the Anchorman for 3 days, I was on the Bridgeman in Milford and was sent across to the Anchorman to take her to some small port in Southern Ireland, can't remember its name (May have been New Ross), apparently the deck crew were all ill. I seem to remember them taking a considerable amount of 'medication' during the trip, it was the second of Jan when I joined! I also did a couple of weeks on the Tillerman in June 1980, as a relief for the second mate who's wife was expecting, joined in Carrickfergus, Captain was Everette, can't remember his first name.
I remember Peter Marris. I also remember Brian Porter from the office, he gave me the cadetship and he also helped me when I left, giving me relief work and also technical information on the Centaurman for my degree dissertation.
I also sailed with Franky Crask, he used to let me take the Bridgman into Eastham Locks when I was a Cadet, very good ship handler. I sailed with Bob Ord, the Roadrunner, Terry Frith when he was mate, I also sailed with Gordon Coates and was sorry to here of his death.
Old 21st September 2017, 10:10

My location
Rusty was a great skipper when you got to know him - always wore full uniform. After he retired he did various jobs including yacht delivery - I met up with him on several occasions in Plymouth when he was delivering millionaires boats!
Alan Everett is the name you seek! Known as 'tanky' throughout the fleet, based in Malta where he had a home with his friend.
I still communicate with Bryan Porter when there is any news regarding former sea-going staff, sadly the demise of personnel seems to be ongoing too regularly.
All the names you mention I know and sailed with a few of them.
The comp-any always regarded the 1000 tonners as punishement ships, never knew why as they had by far the best runs. Alan Thurbon from HO came on a trip around the Western Isles with us once to see why we loved the 'Tilly' .. he soon understood the reasons!
Did you come across Tim Kelly, another Class 5 whi I keep in regular touch with?
Old 21st September 2017, 12:23

I don't remember the name, its all seems a long time ago. I sailed with some of the Class 5's from the year after us but can't remember their names. Also I can't remember the name of the mate on the Tilly, he was an ex Londonderry Fireman and I also sailed with him on the Oarsman when it was new, built in Hull if I remember rightly R Owen was Captain, I think he was Rhodesian. [I] also remember a mate called Ian Storey, I think from the Helmsman, when I was a Cadet, the Master was called Hunt, he had been there for years but retired not long afterwards. Personally I enjoyed the 1000 tonners for the short time I was on them. Has any body heard from Clive Stevens, a fellow Cadet, we spent a lot of our Cadetship together, I think he went to Stolt with Terry Frith sometime in the 80's. I am glad Bryan Porter is still around, he was a good guy, send him my regards. The more I think about my time at Rowbothm's the more I remember. I really enjoyed my time there and learned a lot, more than most deep sea cadets I think. It has also served me well since I left.
Old 21st September 2017, 19:04

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
I think from the Helmsman, when I was a Cadet, the Master was called Hunt, he had been there for years but retired not long afterwards.
Derek Hunt was Skipper on the Helmsman with Jo Wilson as Mate, she seemed to do Immingham - Leith nearly all the time!
Ian Pinney was another Class 5 from the same group as Tim Kelly. I think I sailed as Mate with Clive Stevens on the Oilman when he was a Class 5/Cadet after she took the Western Isle run off the Tilly.
Old 21st September 2017, 19:23

You are right about the Helmsman, most boring ship I ever sailed on. I was wrong about Ian Storey, I sailed with him on the Centaurman or the Vegaman. There was a Cadet called Livesey on the Vegaman when it was in Mexico. The Cadets that were taken on in '75 were Class 4, we had to do 3 months more sea time to do the Bridging exam for class 3.
Old 21st September 2017, 22:22
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - Present

Hi Alex, we sailed together. I cannot remember the vessel. Great to see you have done so well for yourself. Please find the following that I can remember. Hope it rings a bell?

1st and 2nd year short sea trade cadets( otherwise known as Monty Porters Flying Circus):

1st year: Peter Bartlett, Mike Kerr, Clive Stevens, Mike Scott, Alex Scott and Mark Hayward.

2nd year: Andy
Old 21st September 2017, 22:59

2nd year: Andy Bourne, Neil Lovesey, Harry Williams, Martin Skinner, Lindsey Dowdall and Eddie Vitols.
There was a third year but I can only remember two guys, Paul Williams and John Walker/

Then Rocky's started to go with class 5 entries, these were lads who basically started as deck boys but the ones I remember below turned out to be great lads:-
Jon Whitford, Stuart Vallis, Tim Kelly, Chris Poole - Gleed, Ian Pinney, Jim Podger, Alec Gibbons, Terry Hitchens, Matt Black and my apologies, I cannot remember any other names.
We were all trained by great chaps, and I thank them secretly every single day, hope you all remember some of the following names? I am 60 years old now but am still that daft cadet! The following are my heroes, I hope they ring a bell for all you lads? Here Goes, in no particular order as they say on the telly!
Captain Derek Hunt, Captain Frank Craske, Captain John Bates, Capt Alex Mc Kinnon, Captain Alec Graham, Captain George Mount, Captain Noel Williams, Captain Rodney Burnett, Captain John Marsden, Captain William Millar, Captain John Phillips, Captain David Andrews, Captain Steve Pond, Captain Alan Everett, Captain David Cummins, Captain Ian Storrie, Captain Jim Mc Gregor,
Terry Frith, Bob Ord, Peter Marris, Joe Wilson, Kenny Plummer, John Steward, Tim O'Sullivan. Howard Swan, Colin Farmer, Gordon Coates, Chris Ford, Robin Ralling, Peter Turner, Mike Cooke, David Day and Dick Stevenson and so many others?
I wasn't an engineer but the following taught me and possibly you a lot?
Ian Shields, Graham Davies, Kevin Raby, Gordon Davies, Keith Boyles, Dougie Alexander, Peter Gough, Eddie Neylon, Bob Hedley, Kalli Aktar, Benjy Crentsil,Duncan Deefholts, Clayton(Sorry about the forgotten Christian name).
The real Rowbotham were a magnificent company, with great ships, great people and great training for us young and inexperienced lads. Everything I have I owe to all those great people. Apologies for anyone I have missed. I also feel I need to mention two amazing seamen that I still tell stories about, Boson's, Jimmy Ward and Ernie Horne! There is no one around today of their calibre! Class. I hope this post gives you all happy memories, it always makes me chuckle, great people, great character, great seamen and great role models!
Old 21st September 2017, 23:15

As for Clive Stevens, I loved Clive, but I bet you never had a useable pair of gloves/Gauntlets when he was around, Jesus, he was a hard case, he used Swarfega as lubricant!!!!! Hey, Alex, we are all old feckers now, Happy days, wouldn't have changed a thing!
Old 26th September 2017, 13:32

Hi WINMAR I can't see your name so I am not sure where we sailed together. That's a lot of names you mention and I think as far as the Captains go I sailed with nearly all of them, that list triggers a lot of memories. Of the Cadets in the first year I have only met Mike Kerr since, he was a Marine Superintendent, with James Fishers, I was a Technical Manager at the Company for a year in James Fisher Defence, but me and my team provided technical support for the companies vessels.
I was with Neil Lovesey on the Vegaman in Mexico, Harry Williams I was on the Bridgeman with and Eddie Vitols was on the Centaurman, I don't think he stayed. From the third year I am fairly sure I sailed with John Walker on the Orionman.
I had good times with Rowbotham's, and I learnt a lot in a short time from some very professional seamen and engineers. but I don't regret leaving when I did, especially considering the state of the industry these days. Since I left, I have spent a lot of time on different vessels, with different nationalities and flag states and quite frankly the practices, seamanship and depth of knowledge on some the vessels I have to deal with are not what they should be.
As for Clive, I remember his issue with gloves and the fact that he could go on deck in nice clean white boiler suit and have it completely black within an hour or less!!we are getting on a bit now, I am still working with no plans to stop just yet.
Old 28th September 2017, 09:16

My location
Dave Cummins was the last Captain I sailed with before leaving Rockies on the Stellaman. Before that I sailed with him in BP when he was 2nd Mate and I was Deck Cadet back in 1973. He was a great guy but sadly passed away a while back now, as have so many other names on that list.
But as you say, the Company was a great one to work for and had some fantastic personnel on different vessels.
Old 8th November 2017, 07:58

Nov 1983 - Jan 1990

Good to find this forum. I was one of the STS class 4 trainees starting with 7 guys at Gravesend. Through attrition I think 2 of us got a ticket in the end. I sailed as an AB and passed my class 4 to sail 3rd mate on the Tankerman with Rodney, then offered a trip as 2/0 over Christmas with Ian Storey as old man. I did a couple of years as 2/0, plenty of relief trips. Leaving in January 1990 at Canvey. I worked ashore with Fishers for nearly 4 years in personnel. Eventually made redundant by Mr Cobb the CEO, who followed me from Rowbotham and was busy "consolidating" numbers. Best thing that could have happened. Still in the industry on the insurance side. Read a lot of old names and people I sailed with, good an bad trips, but I mostly remember the good. Good to see people are still alive. Best - Chris Roberts
Old 23rd November 2017, 15:09

My location
Just in case anybody is after a copy of this great booklet - stocks are running low!

https://www.coastalshipping.co.uk/ho...rowbotham.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rowbotham.jpg (86.8 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by derekhore; 23rd November 2017 at 15:11..
Old 4th December 2017, 11:24
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1979 - Present

Thanks for the heads up Derek. Got mine, great little book.
Old 26th January 2018, 16:01

My location
For any Robo personnel on Facebook - there is now a Rowbotham Group set-up .. log-in and apply to join, there are some great photos of the old ships appearing.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1493...?ref=bookmarks
Old 22nd March 2018, 18:34

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winmar View Post
2nd year: Andy Bourne, Neil Lovesey, Harry Williams, Martin Skinner, Lindsey Dowdall and Eddie Vitols.
There was a third year but I can only remember two guys, Paul Williams and John Walker/

Then Rocky's started to go with class 5 entries, these were lads who basically started as deck boys but the ones I remember below turned out to be great lads:-
Jon Whitford, Stuart Vallis, Tim Kelly, Chris Poole - Gleed, Ian Pinney, Jim Podger, Alec Gibbons, Terry Hitchens, Matt Black and my apologies, I cannot remember any other names.
We were all trained by great chaps, and I thank them secretly every single day, hope you all remember some of the following names? I am 60 years old now but am still that daft cadet! The following are my heroes, I hope they ring a bell for all you lads? Here Goes, in no particular order as they say on the telly!
Captain Derek Hunt, Captain Frank Craske, Captain John Bates, Capt Alex Mc Kinnon, Captain Alec Graham, Captain George Mount, Captain Noel Williams, Captain Rodney Burnett, Captain John Marsden, Captain William Millar, Captain John Phillips, Captain David Andrews, Captain Steve Pond, Captain Alan Everett, Captain David Cummins, Captain Ian Storrie, Captain Jim Mc Gregor,
Terry Frith, Bob Ord, Peter Marris, Joe Wilson, Kenny Plummer, John Steward, Tim O'Sullivan. Howard Swan, Colin Farmer, Gordon Coates, Chris Ford, Robin Ralling, Peter Turner, Mike Cooke, David Day and Dick Stevenson and so many others?
I wasn't an engineer but the following taught me and possibly you a lot?
Ian Shields, Graham Davies, Kevin Raby, Gordon Davies, Keith Boyles, Dougie Alexander, Peter Gough, Eddie Neylon, Bob Hedley, Kalli Aktar, Benjy Crentsil,Duncan Deefholts, Clayton(Sorry about the forgotten Christian name).
The real Rowbotham were a magnificent company, with great ships, great people and great training for us young and inexperienced lads. Everything I have I owe to all those great people. Apologies for anyone I have missed. I also feel I need to mention two amazing seamen that I still tell stories about, Boson's, Jimmy Ward and Ernie Horne! There is no one around today of their calibre! Class. I hope this post gives you all happy memories, it always makes me chuckle, great people, great character, great seamen and great role models!
Excuse any duplications, errors etc:
Mick Scanlon, Ted Thornley, Charlie Wescott (decd), DB Owen, Fred Windass, Steve Pond, Jerry Cosgrove, Bob Mallett, Willy Millar, Terry Frith, Norman Wardil, Trevor Hill, Gerry Whitehead, Alan Hepburn, Roger Havard (decd), Peter Brown, Bob Ord, Rex White, Arthur Smith, John Claxton, Alan Everett, Derek Hunt,Dave Andrews, Jo Wilson, Rusty Buchan, John Marsden, Dick Stevenson, Roy Stevens, Mr Witton, IP Odd,John Bates, Dave Muirhead, George Thompson, Howard Swan, Eddie Lees, John Blewett, Hughie Hall (decd), Allan Thurbon, Pete Marris, John Charlesworth, Frank Craske, George Cornwell, John Cook, George Patterson, Paul Burrell, Geoff Plastow, Ken Plummer, Alec Gibbons, Stuart Oberheim, Paul Mercer, Trevor Hill, Mike Cotton, Rod Burnett, Ian Shields, John Carolan, Dave Andrews, Kevin Raby, Steve Pond, Gordon Davis, Kenny McDonald, Turleogh MacMahon, Duncan Robertson, Gordon Sims, Dave Cummins (decd), Andy Shenton (decd), John Browning (decd), Kevin Geoghan, Chris Tate, Dave Roberts, Alec Graham, John Godwin, George Cheevers, John O’Brien, Brian Halliday, Phil Jameson, Keith Barnett, John Phillips (decd), Richard Lockwood, Mike Taylor, Capt Duffin, Gordon Kent, Harry Loughrey, Jim Cunningham, Billy Moshi, Tony Sheldrake, Mike O’Brian, Tim Kelly, Paul Larsen, John Henderson, Frank Craske, Chris Poole-Gleed, Clive Stevens, Alex McKinnon, Dieter Jaenicke, Gordon Coates, Eddie Neylon, Ernie Horne, Jim Podger, Ian Pinney, Paul Mercer, Colin Farmer.

Last edited by derekhore; 22nd March 2018 at 19:40..
Old 15th January 2019, 22:55

Sorry if this has been posted before but I, just by chance, came across this piece.

Captain Frank Craske (RIP)

http://www.pwsts.org.uk/frank.htm
Old 16th January 2019, 07:37

Hi I was a Boatman in Shoreham in the 60s and he was Master in one of the
Small Tankers Ruddeman or Steersman not sure he was a good Man
RIP
Granty
Old 16th January 2019, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by willincity View Post
Sorry if this has been posted before but I, just by chance, came across this piece.

Captain Frank Craske (RIP)

http://www.pwsts.org.uk/frank.htm
Frank was a good friend, sorely missed along with many more old comrades
Old 16th January 2019, 14:21

Hi
I have been informed my message about Frank left an idea that it might not read correctly
As said before I remember Frank when he was Master in the small Tankers and mentioned 2 names I put not sure I should have said not sure which of the small Tankers he was in it was about 39 years ago sorry if this lead to a misunderstanding he was a good guy he was always polite to me when I tied him up or went aboard to get my bill signed and let him go
Granty
Old 21st May 2019, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
Excuse any duplications, errors etc:
Mick Scanlon, Ted Thornley, Charlie Wescott (decd), DB Owen, Fred Windass, Steve Pond, Jerry Cosgrove, Bob Mallett, Willy Millar, Terry Frith, Norman Wardil, Trevor Hill, Gerry Whitehead, Alan Hepburn, Roger Havard (decd), Peter Brown, Bob Ord, Rex White, Arthur Smith, John Claxton, Alan Everett, Derek Hunt,Dave Andrews, Jo Wilson, Rusty Buchan, John Marsden, Dick Stevenson, Roy Stevens, Mr Witton, IP Odd,John Bates, Dave Muirhead, George Thompson, Howard Swan, Eddie Lees, John Blewett, Hughie Hall (decd), Allan Thurbon, Pete Marris, John Charlesworth, Frank Craske, George Cornwell, John Cook, George Patterson, Paul Burrell, Geoff Plastow, Ken Plummer, Alec Gibbons, Stuart Oberheim, Paul Mercer, Trevor Hill, Mike Cotton, Rod Burnett, Ian Shields, John Carolan, Dave Andrews, Kevin Raby, Steve Pond, Gordon Davis, Kenny McDonald, Turleogh MacMahon, Duncan Robertson, Gordon Sims, Dave Cummins (decd), Andy Shenton (decd), John Browning (decd), Kevin Geoghan, Chris Tate, Dave Roberts, Alec Graham, John Godwin, George Cheevers, John O’Brien, Brian Halliday, Phil Jameson, Keith Barnett, John Phillips (decd), Richard Lockwood, Mike Taylor, Capt Duffin, Gordon Kent, Harry Loughrey, Jim Cunningham, Billy Moshi, Tony Sheldrake, Mike O’Brian, Tim Kelly, Paul Larsen, John Henderson, Frank Craske, Chris Poole-Gleed, Clive Stevens, Alex McKinnon, Dieter Jaenicke, Gordon Coates, Eddie Neylon, Ernie Horne, Jim Podger, Ian Pinney, Paul Mercer, Colin Farmer.
I have just learnt of the passing of Gordon Coates, former Mate and Master with Rowbothams and sailed predominantly on the chemical ships.

He actually passed away 3 years ago but I have just been informed of this sad news today from another ex-colleague from the Robo days.

Gordon was a down to earth person, never got in to flap, and kept things straight down the middle.

I was aware he went to Stolt's in about 1997 but lost touch with him shortly after that.

As per the link below Gordon became a London river pilot, ............ he was only 63 when he passed away.
RIP Capt Coates.

http://www.pilotmag.co.uk/2017/07/20...-london-pilot/