OCL Box boats - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
04:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

OCL Box boats

User Tag List

Old 7th October 2008, 17:08

Goodness - now there's a blast from the past!

I remember the Agent coming on Board in Auckland - 'Geoff' - can't remember his surname with the "Auckland Star" headline that "Stowaway had spoilt the Captain's Dinner" or something similar. The "Stowaway was "The Egg" I believe the Ship was bound for Wellington - then got an orders change for Valparaiso - so she 'gave herself up' and made herself "useful" by doing needlework for the crew!!!!

Must be twentyfive years or so ago - possibly more!

I was R/O on the "Aotea" at the time.

Some names to recall in a few of the above - Jack Barnes - given the B.E.M. or similar if I remember - he was Bosun on the "Encounter" in 1977 when I was on there.

And "Chicks, The Crescent, The Portsider" - all names that bring a smile to my face. Good days indeed.
Old 8th October 2008, 15:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Gorny View Post
Goodness - now there's a blast from the past!

I remember the Agent coming on Board in Auckland - 'Geoff' - can't remember his surname with the "Auckland Star" headline that "Stowaway had spoilt the Captain's Dinner" or something similar. The "Stowaway was "The Egg" I believe the Ship was bound for Wellington - then got an orders change for Valparaiso - so she 'gave herself up' and made herself "useful" by doing needlework for the crew!!!!

Must be twentyfive years or so ago - possibly more!

I was R/O on the "Aotea" at the time.

Some names to recall in a few of the above - Jack Barnes - given the B.E.M. or similar if I remember - he was Bosun on the "Encounter" in 1977 when I was on there.

And "Chicks, The Crescent, The Portsider" - all names that bring a smile to my face. Good days indeed.
Hi Vince,

Welcome aboard, long time no see - just been speaking with Franco who lives down the road - certainly had some good times on "Flinders" Trust yiou are keeping well.

Duncan Cameron
Old 8th October 2008, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan112 View Post
Hi Vince,

Welcome aboard, long time no see - just been speaking with Franco who lives down the road - certainly had some good times on "Flinders" Trust yiou are keeping well.

Duncan Cameron
Hi Vince,

I was wondering when some other OCL Sparky's were going to show up on here. Some of the names mentioned on here certainly raised a smile, I was introduced to the legendary Eggs on Legs on the coast somewhere or other.

Do you remember me intercepting some mail destined for your home address from PJ Clarks desk when we got your mail by mistake on a Singapore mail call?

Check out my pics

Regards

Tim Vaughan
Old 8th October 2008, 17:11

"Drunken" you old Scroate! And Tim! Goodness, two replies within a day! Duncan, please pass on my very best to Franco - they were, as you say, very good days. Very Happy Ones! I am now employed by the Local Constabulary - 17 years of........well, I can't really say - but let's put it this way, the O.C.L. days were a lot happier!

And yes Tim, I do recall the mail going amiss at '9VG' - it must be nineteen or more years since that happened. Get in touch - both of you, would you please? by PM to exchange email addresses - be very pleassed to have a chat!

Regards.

Vince.

Last edited by K urgess; 8th October 2008 at 17:29.. Reason: email address removed as per site policy
Old 9th October 2008, 09:35

Hi Vince
I think we sailed together on the Aotea? I was 3rd mate then 2nd with CFL. Left just when the Blue flue fleet was amalgamated . Now living in Aus, still at sea, master of a dive support vessel working in Brunei
Rgds
Mark
Old 15th October 2008, 02:38
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - Present

Hi Al,I joined S.S.Botany bay 24/12/79 when you paid off,what a bummer right before xmas!! Think we had 10 days in Tilbury over festive season,was just a blurr.Then joined "The Res" when you paid off her on 6/5/80.Anyway according to my old discharge bk i only sailed with you one trip on "Liverpool Bay" joined 31/5/83-31/7/83 but i certainly do remember you Al,MY GOD THAT'S 27 YEARS AGO. Am still at sea on local ferry up North as Bosun.
Old 15th October 2008, 03:34

hI Graham, According to my discharge book i was on "Mairangi bay" from 13/7/81-25/9/81 and looks like signature was Capt Bland in in my book,think i remember you indeed...were you a steward? Had some great times on the coast indeed!!!
Old 15th October 2008, 03:50

Hi Nigel, Well it's a long time since i sailed with you,think i did a few trips with you. Am still at sea yet on the local ferries as bosun. Took redundancy from P&O NEDLOYD '98...seems a long long time ago, What are you doing these days.....regards Steve.
Old 15th October 2008, 19:01

re dave fowey post on billy wallace was he from seaham and was his sons terry and peter as they lived next door to me and they were with ocl and i was with shell.
Old 15th October 2008, 19:18
Active: 1981 - Present

My location
I sailed with Terry Wallace in Swires, nice guy, he came to Swires about a year after taking redundancy from P&O, he ended up with Gulf Offshore for a while and then went to live in the Dominican Republic, he's still there and doing OK, and Paul Armstrong, he spent a long time with OCL/P&O on the box boats, he's working for Gulf Offshore.

Last edited by timo; 16th October 2008 at 09:07..
Old 20th October 2008, 21:56

Stevie, I remember you, but cant remember the ship! I was a decky (briefly POE on the Liverpool Bay)
Did we not visit Bettys house in Melbourne on one occasion? I seem to remember something like that.
I was very dissapointed to hear that Wally died, his son posts on this site, you will find the posts somewhere.

Graham
Old 22nd October 2008, 13:52

Vince how are things, long time no speak. I'm still working lets try and get in touch
Old 27th October 2008, 00:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie burgess View Post
hI Graham, According to my discharge book i was on "Mairangi bay" from 13/7/81-25/9/81 and looks like signature was Capt Bland in in my book,think i remember you indeed...were you a steward? Had some great times on the coast indeed!!!
Steve

We definately sailed together as I remember more vividly now, you have a brother who sailed with OCL too?
It could have been the Jervis Bay, was Candy (Stein) not the cook, I also seem to remember you were with me in Genoa when I got myself into a bit of bother with the Genoese constabulary (just high spirits down the dirty mile)
Spike was the Bosun and I believe the skipper was Curruthers? I am offshore at the moment, however I will find my discharge book and confirm the days.
I think that trip was probably the last time we sailed into Sydney harbour (after that it was out to Botany Bay)

Graham
Old 27th October 2008, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCardle View Post
Not a strange response, Graham? I was at Gravesend Nov 76 - Feb 77, at that time you had to be 16 to get in & not more than 17yrs 8months on completion of courses. Obviously they changed the entry age of which I was unaware

Incidently a mate of mine, Chris Mullaney, was with OCL for some time.
Met up with Chris(Donks) Mullaney in Kobe in 96 on a visit across the dock to the 'Osaka Bay' in Dry Dock being painted Blue. I visited along with John(JC) Cooper also an OCL stalwart.
Old 10th November 2008, 00:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymay View Post
Steve

We definately sailed together as I remember more vividly now, you have a brother who sailed with OCL too?
It could have been the Jervis Bay, was Candy (Stein) not the cook, I also seem to remember you were with me in Genoa when I got myself into a bit of bother with the Genoese constabulary (just high spirits down the dirty mile)
Spike was the Bosun and I believe the skipper was Curruthers? I am offshore at the moment, however I will find my discharge book and confirm the days.
I think that trip was probably the last time we sailed into Sydney harbour (after that it was out to Botany Bay)

Graham
Graham, Sorry mate but i can't really remember what ship it was. I was only on "Jervis Bay" once May -Aug '82 with Capt Short. I did sail with Candy at some point and my brother was with the Company too and i also sailed with Spike but wether it was all aboard the same ship....i just can't remember. Maybe if we can compare dates sometime we might get somewhere.
Old 13th November 2008, 10:38

Hiya guys, found this topic via google.
I got a topic running in the Say Hello board about the request for info about these ships.
I'm planning to make a model/models of these ships and to do it correctly I'm looking for pictures of these ships and detail pictures from onboard if possible. Does any of you have that?
I have only few pictures of these ships since they are not so recent... Apart from that I have an old magazine article with some plans which i plan to use.
thanks in advance,
Roel
Old 17th November 2008, 01:35

Hi Colin, I think i sailed with you once if my memory serves me right...possibly on the "REM". I sailed with Mike several times(a good mate)...anyway what's he up to these days? I see you are residing in Kiwi these days...i must admit i miss the box boat days on the coast from the earlier days!! Anyway give my regards to Mike will you.
Old 17th November 2008, 01:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTR1000 View Post
Anyone else sail with OCL/P&OCL?
Hi VTR1000, I sailed with "THE COMPANY" from '77-'98. Had some really great times over the years and met some good mates...certainly have missed the crack in more ways than one!!!
Old 17th November 2008, 02:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian d.cameron View Post
I think Gravesend must have depended on when your birthday fell.
I went there in 11 May 1970 07 August 1970 and had my birthday there in July. Joined the Windsor Castle at Sixteen and three weeks old
My OCL boats were. Osaka Bay: 83. Discovery Bay: 83. Liverpool Bay: 83/84. all Gulf and Far East runners and they were so punctual you could set your watch by them, on the meat Boats we got plenty of time in port on the Kiwi Coast, were the Box Boats in and out fast turn around.
Hi Ian, Just having a look through my discharge book and it seems that i joined "Liverpool Bay" 2/2/84 but don't know if we actually met or not before you signed off...i presume it was around about then anyway.
Old 17th November 2008, 02:56

Hi Denzil,Great to see your posts...i whole heartly agree with all that Graham says about your dad. I sailed with him a couple of times and he certainly was one of the best "blockers" i have sailed with...a real gentleman. Did i not sail with you on one trip? I remember on the "TOR Bay" (i think) we had the stage over the stern painting and when we had done the 1st fleet i called for the jacobs ladder and when i climbed over the bulwark Wally was just standing on a rung on the deck...i says that's no very secure and he says the weight of me is ample more than any securing point here...had to laugh. great guy and saddly missed.
Old 17th November 2008, 03:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Houghton View Post
Met up with Chris(Donks) Mullaney in Kobe in 96 on a visit across the dock to the 'Osaka Bay' in Dry Dock being painted Blue. I visited along with John(JC) Cooper also an OCL stalwart.
Hi Phil, I know Chris Mullaney very well...sailed with him quite a few times. He went to RFA after redundancy but is now ashore.I keep in very regular contact with him....a great Geordie mate.
Old 21st November 2008, 13:18

hello people.....i didnt know this place existed.......
im sure i sailed with a few of ya.......i met bob young and paul dever again yesterday after nearly 20 years....ffs........unfortunately the circumstance was ****....was gary mahers funeral.....if you remeber him.....
anyhow im alex flynn......brother of billy cousin of alan......and a few others.....brings back great memories
catch yas soon
alex
Old 21st November 2008, 13:19

Hi all

I found this via google as well.

I sailed on the bay boats from '83 untill about '91, fantastic time and still miss it daily. I keep in touch with Julian shears (Lofty) who keeps in touch with loads of others: Tilly Doyle, Sid Tranter, Paul Dever etc. I'll let him know about the forum.

Craig Hardman
Old 28th November 2008, 00:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookie View Post
hello people.....i didnt know this place existed.......
im sure i sailed with a few of ya.......i met bob young and paul dever again yesterday after nearly 20 years....ffs........unfortunately the circumstance was ****....was gary mahers funeral.....if you remeber him.....
anyhow im alex flynn......brother of billy cousin of alan......and a few others.....brings back great memories
catch yas soon
alex
Hiya Alex,Good to see yer post...long time no see. I remember the name Gary Maher but can't picture him...used to keep in contact with Bob Young but he never replied to my last letter and that was a few years ago so don't know what's wrong...but i keep in regular contact with Chris Mullaney...a bit of deafness finished him with RFA a few years ago. I myself left the box boats 10 years ago now and have been on local ferries up North since. Give my regards to Billy and Alan will ya...catch ye soon.
Old 28th November 2008, 05:58

My location
arghhhh bay boats

had a blue with the eng on the british wye so while anchord in suez channel 16d one of cfl and received the london address best move i could have made, 28/6/78 remuera then drydock
31/10 remuera
13/3/79 discovery
6/8 jervis
22/12 remuera
5/4/80 moreton
8/8 moreton
15/8 mairangi
5/2/81 botany
30/6 resolution
25/10 moreton
30/3/82 mairangi
21/7 remuera
8/10 encounter
what fun what girls in kiwi aus what hangovers,it was an eye opener after being with bp and just tramping to go on a regular run were the crowd knew the girls shoreside,when drunk i once asked eggs how come your name and she told me well i laughed and laughed she did have a heart of gold at the the time she was living in ferntree gully melbourne,i now live in the city cbd,would i reconise her?????????