Harrisons Clyde - Ships Nostalgia
23:04

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Harrisons Clyde

User Tag List

Old 19th February 2008, 00:16

My location
Red face Harrisons Clyde

I'm looking for photographs of the ships I served my time on as deck cadet with Harrisons Clyde. These included the Vennachar, Volnay, Varna and Norse Lion. Also interested to hear from anyone who served on these ships
Old 19th February 2008, 11:14

Cant help you with photos, will search arond for some, but sailed on the Volnay from new for around ten months. Unsure of date due to missing discharge book. Went to her from Bolnes and Binsnes which Harrisons managed at the time.
Deck cadets on Volnay were Alf Cashmore and Dougie McLaren (name?) both good guys who seemed to spend most of their time working with Hector the mate.
If you came to Volnay from Vennacher did you sail with Jimmy Wilson the electrician?
Seems we used to live about five miles from each other.

Don

Last edited by Don Matheson; 19th February 2008 at 11:16..
Old 19th February 2008, 15:38
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1985

My location
VENNACHAR with photo
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuil...ip.asp?id=2511

VOLNAY
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuil...ip.asp?id=2518
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/146309

NORSE LION
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/223521

VARNA
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/113960

Can't see any photos for the last three in the usual places, but maybe someone will come up with one under a different name.
Old 20th February 2008, 07:58

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Matheson View Post
Cant help you with photos, will search arond for some, but sailed on the Volnay from new for around ten months. Unsure of date due to missing discharge book. Went to her from Bolnes and Binsnes which Harrisons managed at the time.
Deck cadets on Volnay were Alf Cashmore and Dougie McLaren (name?) both good guys who seemed to spend most of their time working with Hector the mate.
If you came to Volnay from Vennacher did you sail with Jimmy Wilson the electrician?
Seems we used to live about five miles from each other.

Don
Don,

I joined Vennachar in Sept 1969, 10 month trip, and then Volnay in July 1970.
Alf Cashmore (terrible stutter he had) joined Vennachar just before I got off. Hector Cameron, little tyrant, was mate on Vennachar when I was there.Eric
Muir and Jones were the old men. I don't remember the name of lecky on Volnay but have a photo of him somewhere. He was a little bloke from Clydebank I think. Lecky on Vennachar was a chap by the name of Marshall.
Its a small world.
Old 20th February 2008, 08:00

My location
Thanks for info Ian. Volnay was built alongside QE2 and many thought it was the scrap off the QE2 the it was built with.
Old 20th February 2008, 20:05

Old Jake

Joined Volnay from new 1969 and was there for ten months. I thought it was a good ship as far as living and working and had some good guys. I was 4/E on it and enjoyed my time on her. Ch/E was a pain, chap from Greenock, did what he could to upset the boys instead of helping them.
Alf Cashmore must have done the Vennacher as his second trip, terrible stutter but a real good guy. Wee Hector, your right a tyrant, but pretty good mate and taught Alf and Dougie a lot.
Jimmy Wilson was from Dumbarton but lived in Norway and you would have remembered him. Cant remember the skipper could have been Muir but 2/Mate was a nice guy from Rothesay.
I remember going to Hamburg to have car decks fitted, took months, and first real trip was London to US west coast with cars, then mostly bulk to Japan returning with cars to US East Coast. Odd trip up the Orinocco for ore then left to fly home after what was a good trip.
Don
Old 21st February 2008, 08:02

My location
Did you sail with 3rd Mate Jim Coombes? Think he may have been on the Bolnes and Binsnes? Were they Jebsen ships?
Old 21st February 2008, 14:03

Smile Harrisons clyde

Hello together

I just checked the net for some infos about Harrison Clyde and am glad to founf this page. The background of my search is a vessel on which I served several times all togehter more as three years, the AKRON (Metrofin, Switzerland) or ex Norse Lion from Cardigan Shipping (Harrison Clyde. I sailed on her first time in 1986 in this time still some stuff from the time when the vessel was owned by Harrisons was on board. today I regret that I didnīt managed totake one of the tea cups with the companies logo with me. I still have a Engine log sheet out of this time when she sailed under the british flag. The class room for the trainess was full of it, also old crew list was found but ....... not to much saved in this time. You will find pics of her under www.swiss-ships.ch.
Anyway she was a good vessel a lot of nice and good thoughts about her we was sailing mainly in the grain products trade from the Gulf to Europe but from time to time we also sailed to Brazil and South Africa to take minerals from where to Asia or Europe.
Hope it helps a bit enjoy the pics at the webside from swiss-ships
Andreas (Capesize)
Old 21st February 2008, 21:13

My location
http://www.swiss-ships.ch/schiffe-au...akron_D5FV.htm
Old 22nd February 2008, 07:56

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by capesize View Post
Hello together

You will find pics of her under www.swiss-ships.ch.
Anyway she was a good vessel a lot of nice and good thoughts about her we was sailing mainly in the grain products trade from the Gulf to Europe but from time to time we also sailed to Brazil and South Africa to take minerals from where to Asia or Europe.
Hope it helps a bit enjoy the pics at the webside from swiss-ships
Andreas (Capesize)
Thanks for thatand it is a very good photograph. When I was on the ship it was trading between Port Hedland in North West Australia and Japan. I liked the ship but did not enjoy the voyages.
Old 22nd February 2008, 10:30

My location
Well Well, speak of the devil and he's sure to appear.
In the gallery today from Aldinga
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...p?photo=104566
Old 22nd February 2008, 10:41

Ian

Was just about to post and say the same. Cracking photo of my and Old Jake's old ship. Havent seen that one before, in fact have found very few photos of her anywhere.
Old Jake
No dont remember Jim Coombes, I was on the Bolnes from the shipyard then went to the Binsnes. Yes they were Jebsens ships, built on the clyde with Sulzer engines running mostly UK, west africa then on to Australia returning via Suez, good run. Guys I remember well were both chief engineers, name of Blue and both related.
Don
Old 29th November 2009, 19:55

I joined the Vennacher in Kobe ( Dry Dock ) 9.2.69 and left 10 months later 9.1.70 at Nagoya I sailed as 4th Engineer. Names I remember are Captain Tremayne,Captain Muir,A Lecky called Dave Huston,followed by one who was called Marshal(from Clysdale) The Senior 3rd Engineer was called Kenny(from Stornaway) Hope this fills in a few gaps.
Old 29th November 2009, 20:33
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1970 - 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Matheson View Post
Ian

Was just about to post and say the same. Cracking photo of my and Old Jake's old ship. Havent seen that one before, in fact have found very few photos of her anywhere.
Old Jake
No dont remember Jim Coombes, I was on the Bolnes from the shipyard then went to the Binsnes. Yes they were Jebsens ships, built on the clyde with Sulzer engines running mostly UK, west africa then on to Australia returning via Suez, good run. Guys I remember well were both chief engineers, name of Blue and both related.Don
Arthur and his son Archie.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:39

Hey Charlie, I thought it was [B]Archie[B] and his son Arthur.
Old 9th December 2009, 15:58
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1970 - 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjenk View Post
Hey Charlie, I thought it was [B]Archie[B] and his son Arthur.
Of course, I'm old you know!! Had a long PM from John McAuslin at the weekend. You'll all be coming back with slitty eyes (TM Prince Phillip)
Old 10th December 2009, 04:30

I wouldn't describe you as old. It's the fact that I'm not old enough to have sailed with Archie, is the main reason I remember.
You're out a bit early for the World Cup, or haven't you made it back from the Lions tour ?
Old 25th December 2009, 09:47

Merry Christmas to all ex Harry Clyde and ex Stirling members. All the very best from Jimmy (Madness).
Old 2nd January 2010, 03:39

The records of Harrisons (Clyde) are now in the National Archives at the Glasgow University Archive Services department.
Accessions to Repositories in 2008.

"•Harrisons (Clyde) Ltd, shipowners, Glasgow: records incl annual reports and accounts, cash books, ledgers, re-structuring files, ship plans, ship movement books, ship management files, deck log books, engine log books 1956-2004 (ACCN3109)"

It was often a topic of discussion - what happens to the old log books !
Who knows, you might find out how much everyone was paid.
One thing that won't be in it - a receipt for a gold watch for my 25 years service, I almost regret all the cheek I gave out.

Last edited by jimmyjenk; 2nd January 2010 at 03:47.. Reason: To add the year of Accessions to Repositories
Old 8th March 2012, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Jake View Post
Don,

I joined Vennachar in Sept 1969, 10 month trip, and then Volnay in July 1970.
Alf Cashmore (terrible stutter he had) joined Vennachar just before I got off. Hector Cameron, little tyrant, was mate on Vennachar when I was there.Eric
Muir and Jones were the old men. I don't remember the name of lecky on Volnay but have a photo of him somewhere. He was a little bloke from Clydebank I think. Lecky on Vennachar was a chap by the name of Marshall.
Its a small world.

Was R/O on the Vennachar from October 68 to 24th September 69. Rushed out to join it in Tokyo as the R/O had taken ill. Left in Charleston and flew back to Prestwick with 3rd Off Dunda McLeod from Lewis. It was a happy ship although I decided to make it my last voyage and left Marconi to start with Honeywell in I.T. Here is a photo of the Vennachar taken at anchor off Kobe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vennacharclean.jpg (253.5 KB, 109 views)
Old 8th March 2012, 15:13

Vennachar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamshamer View Post
I joined the Vennacher in Kobe ( Dry Dock ) 9.2.69 and left 10 months later 9.1.70 at Nagoya I sailed as 4th Engineer. Names I remember are Captain Tremayne,Captain Muir,A Lecky called Dave Huston,followed by one who was called Marshal(from Clysdale) The Senior 3rd Engineer was called Kenny(from Stornaway) Hope this fills in a few gaps.
We were on the Vennachar at the same time - what was your job? Just remembered that Kenny the 3rd Engineer also flew home with Dunda and myself. Captain Muir was a great captain and had many a chat with him bit different from Treymayne who should have been on a cruise ship!.
Old 14th March 2012, 22:22
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1956 - 2002

A History of Harrisons (Clyde) including Stirling Shipping has just been written and published by Iain Harrison under the title of 'A Curious Venture'. It has many photographs in full colour and short biographies of seagoing and office personnel, anecdotes and extracts from 'Clanger'. Unfortunately it was not possible to mention everyone individually who worked with us over the years, but no-one is forgotten. We were a great team! Anyone interested in having a copy as a gift, please apply to [email protected] with full name and address. One copy per applicant while stocks last.

Best Wishes
Old 19th March 2012, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangdav View Post
We were on the Vennachar at the same time - what was your job? Just remembered that Kenny the 3rd Engineer also flew home with Dunda and myself. Captain Muir was a great captain and had many a chat with him bit different from Treymayne who should have been on a cruise ship!.
Hi there,

I was on Vennachar at the same time. Joined her as 2nd Mate 23/1/68, was promoted Mate 27/10/68, and left her in New Orleans 19/4/69. JJ Tremayne was the original Master and was relieved by Eric Muir. I recall the R/O going ill in Japan; he lost his balance due to Meuniers Disease which affected the control system inside his ear, so had to go home.

David Watson.
Old 5th April 2012, 17:44

Does anyone remember Marion from Woodside Crescent?

My mother worked in Harrison's Glasgow office in the '70s and '80s.
She still talks very fondly of her time working there and her many happy memories of her "boys" who came to see her while they were visiting the office.
If any of you remember her, she would love to hear from you - I can pass on any messages from this forum.
Sadly, my father (Lex) died nearly 7 years ago, and mum is now registered blind - although she still lives by herself in the family home.
I was spurred to post here when I heard about Mr Harrison's book.
Thanks for reading.
Mark Johnston
Old 5th April 2012, 18:01
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1974 - Present

A company with a golden reputation. I remember being in dry dock aboard the Coral Princess in HUD and having the Valdivia in the next dock (would have been the Tsing Yi Dock) pointed out to me as "Harrisons Clyde - good people!"

There was a story about how Harrisons (Clyde) stood by one of their junior officers who was jailed (for drugs, in Turkey?) which "everybody at sea" knew at the time.

Swires were sleeping partners in Stirling but there was never any operational link between Stirling and SPO in my day.