Harrisons Clyde - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
16:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Harrisons Clyde

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26  
Old 5th April 2012, 19:23
Charlie_Wood's Avatar
Charlie_Wood Charlie_Wood is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1970 - 2013
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markjohn2001 View Post
My mother worked in Harrison's Glasgow office in the '70s and '80s.
She still talks very fondly of her time working there and her many happy memories of her "boys" who came to see her while they were visiting the office.
If any of you remember her, she would love to hear from you - I can pass on any messages from this forum.
Sadly, my father (Lex) died nearly 7 years ago, and mum is now registered blind - although she still lives by herself in the family home.
I was spurred to post here when I heard about Mr Harrison's book.
Thanks for reading.
Mark Johnston
Mark, your Mum Marion is fondly remembered by us all. She features in IVRH's great book, I hope you have got a copy.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 8th April 2012, 21:52
david watson david watson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markjohn2001 View Post
My mother worked in Harrison's Glasgow office in the '70s and '80s.
She still talks very fondly of her time working there and her many happy memories of her "boys" who came to see her while they were visiting the office.
If any of you remember her, she would love to hear from you - I can pass on any messages from this forum.
Sadly, my father (Lex) died nearly 7 years ago, and mum is now registered blind - although she still lives by herself in the family home.
I was spurred to post here when I heard about Mr Harrison's book.
Thanks for reading.
Mark Johnston
Hi Mark,

I remember your mother Marion very well, and with many fond memories. When phoning from deep sea hers was the first voice heard over the phone, and she was always so pleased to hear from the ships. She was a great contact with the families over the years, and was always most welcoming when you went into the office for debriefing at the end of a voyage.
Please give her my very best wishes when next you speak with her.

Regards,
David Watson.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10th April 2012, 21:29
ACuriousVenture ACuriousVenture is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1956 - 2002
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
marion

mark

can you please email

[email protected] and i will reply via that address

many thanks
Michelle






Quote:
Originally Posted by Markjohn2001 View Post
My mother worked in Harrison's Glasgow office in the '70s and '80s.
She still talks very fondly of her time working there and her many happy memories of her "boys" who came to see her while they were visiting the office.
If any of you remember her, she would love to hear from you - I can pass on any messages from this forum.
Sadly, my father (Lex) died nearly 7 years ago, and mum is now registered blind - although she still lives by herself in the family home.
I was spurred to post here when I heard about Mr Harrison's book.
Thanks for reading.
Mark Johnston
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 26th April 2012, 19:31
D.W.G.Anderson D.W.G.Anderson is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1984
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Greetings gentlemen, I was looking for any old photos of the British Monarch my first ship and came upon Ship Nostalgia. I was with Harrisons Clyde from 1972 to 1977 and sailed on British Monarch, Volnay, Norse Marshal, Norse Pilot twice, Norse lion, Laurentian Forest and finaly the Vimera. The only name I can recognise was Alfie Cashmore and Capt J.J.Trimayne, I sailed with Alfie and J.J. twice, both on the Norse pilot and again on the Norse Lion. Alfie's stammer could be quite pronounced at times but give him a guitar and a song and it was gone. He was without a doubt one of the nicest guys I had the pleasure to meet. After I left Harrisons I moved to Triport Ferries and their Ro/Ro ferries.
Can anyone direct me to where I can get a copy of Ian Harrisons book "A Curious Venture"? I have not had any luck on the web
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 26th April 2012, 23:41
Gulpers's Avatar
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
My location
Posts: 11,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.W.G.Anderson View Post
Can anyone direct me to where I can get a copy of Ian Harrisons book "A Curious Venture"? I have not had any luck on the web
D.W.G.Anderson,
Have a look at the first post in this thread. You may be lucky if they have any copies left.
__________________
Ray
. . . . A closed mouth gathers no feet!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 15th May 2012, 18:57
Hugh Slavin Hugh Slavin is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Matheson View Post
Old Jake

Jimmy Wilson was from Dumbarton but lived in Norway and you would have remembered him. Cant remember the skipper could have been Muir but 2/Mate was a nice guy from Rothesay.
I remember going to Hamburg to have car decks fitted, took months, and first real trip was London to US west coast with cars, then mostly bulk to Japan returning with cars to US East Coast. Odd trip up the Orinocco for ore then left to fly home after what was a good trip.
Don
Hey Donnie, after my last reply (Jennie from Baltimore), you must be referring to Wee Jimmy Harper, surely!! It was he who came knocking when I would be crashed out in Baltimore with a big smile on his face and "someone to see you sparks!)

Great times I thought on the Volnay. I have some piccs with you in them as we went up the road - must have been up the Orinoco) all the best - Hugh or as Jimmy Wilson would say (Shuggie)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11th September 2012, 08:23
Old Jake Old Jake is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
My location
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangdav View Post
Was R/O on the Vennachar from October 68 to 24th September 69. Rushed out to join it in Tokyo as the R/O had taken ill. Left in Charleston and flew back to Prestwick with 3rd Off Dunda McLeod from Lewis. It was a happy ship although I decided to make it my last voyage and left Marconi to start with Honeywell in I.T. Here is a photo of the Vennachar taken at anchor off Kobe.
I joined the Vennachar the day that you left. I can't remember the RO who was there. Cpt was Eric Muir. A chap from Greenock was mate relieved by Wee Hector, 2nd Mate was Ian Cocker from Aberdeen (I met him again in 2000 on one of Gulf Offshore supply boats, 3rd Mate was Jim Coombes, Chief Eng I don't remember his name but his wife was on board, he paid off sick and Archie McReath who was second was temporarily promoted, Third eng was a Geordie Kenny Brown (I think), Jnr third eng was Stuart ?. 4th Eng was Graham Hammer. ?? Marshall was lecky and Norrie McKillop (Snr) and me (jnr) cadets.

Great foto briangdav
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 28th July 2013, 12:48
MDSouter MDSouter is offline  
Member
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1970 - 2008
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Anne Graham/Anne Souter

My sister in law Anne Graham worked in the office for Harrison's Clyde in the late 1960's/early 1970's. She became Anne Souter when she married my brother. She then went to, I think, Western Shipping.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 28th July 2013, 17:53
weg43's Avatar
weg43 weg43 is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6
Repost from Simandou

Hi All; Prior to finding this particular thread,I posted in the thread "Simandou" about a terrible accident which occurred on that ship.

I was not on this ship but I was discussing the incident, with another old ex sea dog recently and wondered if anyone had more information about it.

Having just found this particular thread,I think I may be more likely to get a response here.

Previously posted;on Simandou thread.

" does anyone recall the sad and terrible accident that happened on Simandou perhaps late 60's or early 70's. A deck crew member was caught by a runner or something and lost his legs. I believe Iain Harrison took over the hospitalization,rehab and later welfare of this unfortunate man. If someone does recall this incident,do they know where and when it happened and what Mates and Engineers were on board at the time."

Apologies,if this brings back unwanted memories to anyone, weg43
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 4th August 2013, 18:10
George McCaffery George McCaffery is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 78
Norse Herald

I Joined the Norse Herald as R/O in Immingham Jan 1975 paying off
in Kashima in August 1975. Sailed with my wife Pam on this trip.
Capt was Cowie, mates were two brothers from Stornoway Alex and Callum (family names have gone) 3rd Mate was Pat Breslin unfortunately other names have gone in the fog of time.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 4th August 2013, 18:22
Lewis's Avatar
Lewis Lewis is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
My location
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by weg43 View Post
Hi All; Prior to finding this particular thread,I posted in the thread "Simandou" about a terrible accident which occurred on that ship.

I was not on this ship but I was discussing the incident, with another old ex sea dog recently and wondered if anyone had more information about it.

Having just found this particular thread,I think I may be more likely to get a response here.

Previously posted;on Simandou thread.

" does anyone recall the sad and terrible accident that happened on Simandou perhaps late 60's or early 70's. A deck crew member was caught by a runner or something and lost his legs. I believe Iain Harrison took over the hospitalization,rehab and later welfare of this unfortunate man. If someone does recall this incident,do they know where and when it happened and what Mates and Engineers were on board at the time."

Apologies,if this brings back unwanted memories to anyone, weg43
The story I heard was that the crew were lowering derricks and were surging the wires on the winch barrels. There was a snag on the wire and it either caught on the clothing or the flesh of the unfotunate chap and he let go the end of the wire, which wrapped round his legs and pulled him on to the winch barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 20th September 2013, 15:30
The Sailorman The Sailorman is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1967
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Does any body remember the VALLDIMOSA I sailed on her 10-12-1957 to
4-3-1959 a very eventfull trip, The only crew that I am still in touch with is
Jimmy Warr who was from Manchester he now lives in Australia, If there is
still any one who was on that trip I would like to hear from you.
Regards from Dennis P
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 15th October 2013, 22:08
david watson david watson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15
Simandou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
The story I heard was that the crew were lowering derricks and were surging the wires on the winch barrels. There was a snag on the wire and it either caught on the clothing or the flesh of the unfotunate chap and he let go the end of the wire, which wrapped round his legs and pulled him on to the winch barrel.
A friend of mine, Harry Churchill, who later became Master with HCL, was 2nd Mate on Simandou when this dreadful accident occurred, told me about it. He was having his meal when the news came in and rushed out to see what he could do. Both legs had been severed and, as it turned out, could not be rejoined to the stumps. The Guinean crew were not traditional deep seamen and it was really on the job training. She was owned by the Guinean government and they insisted on using their own men as seamen.
The man was hospitalised in the USA, and when fit to be flown home, Iain arranged for him to be brought first of all to Glasgow, where his treatment continued, and eventually prostetics were fitted to both legs. Iain understood that it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for the man to get any kind of employment in Guinea, so he arranged for him to go into HCL office in Woodside Crescent where he was taught the arts of bookkeeping, so that, when he eventually went home he would be able to look after his family.
Not many shipowners would have had the humanity to do this for one of their employees, and I was very fortunate to work for one such as Iain Harrison.

Last edited by david watson; 15th October 2013 at 22:10.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 8th November 2013, 17:47
grahamshamer grahamshamer is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by david watson View Post
Hi there,

I was on Vennachar at the same time. Joined her as 2nd Mate 23/1/68, was promoted Mate 27/10/68, and left her in New Orleans 19/4/69. JJ Tremayne was the original Master and was relieved by Eric Muir. I recall the R/O going ill in Japan; he lost his balance due to Meuniers Disease which affected the control system inside his ear, so had to go home.

David Watson.
Are you on Facebook, we need to have a quicker longer talk.
Graham
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12th December 2013, 21:58
david watson david watson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15
Hi Graham,
Sorry not on Facebook.

For those old HCL men, I was at the funeral last Monday of Harold Lawson, our retired Crew Manager. He was 87 and had been ill for some time, his wife having predeceased him. There was a good turn out, and it was good to meet Willie Barnes and Gordon Maver, ex sea staff, and from the office Ken Cadenhead and Ninian Stewart. Not many of us left now.

Last edited by david watson; 12th December 2013 at 21:59.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 19th March 2014, 07:12
Chris Jenkins Chris Jenkins is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1968 - 1990
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 41
British Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.W.G.Anderson View Post
Greetings gentlemen, I was looking for any old photos of the British Monarch my first ship and came upon Ship Nostalgia. I was with Harrisons Clyde from 1972 to 1977 and sailed on British Monarch, Volnay, Norse Marshal, Norse Pilot twice, Norse lion, Laurentian Forest and finaly the Vimera. The only name I can recognise was Alfie Cashmore and Capt J.J.Trimayne, I sailed with Alfie and J.J. twice, both on the Norse pilot and again on the Norse Lion. Alfie's stammer could be quite pronounced at times but give him a guitar and a song and it was gone. He was without a doubt one of the nicest guys I had the pleasure to meet. After I left Harrisons I moved to Triport Ferries and their Ro/Ro ferries.
Can anyone direct me to where I can get a copy of Ian Harrisons book "A Curious Venture"? I have not had any luck on the web
Hello D,
Did you manage to get a picture of British Monarch ? I sailed on the second vessel of that name for 10 months as R/O in 1972 under Capt Gowie for most of the time, and with my great friend 3/O Jimmy Coyle who I have lost touch with as one does.
I have been unable to trace a photo of the old BM for which I hold many fond memories, so if you have had better luck I'd really appreciate a link.
Regards
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 16th April 2014, 14:01
Jim Coyle Jim Coyle is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 2010
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5
Have photo of British Monarch when we were anchored off Osaka with Aussie coal not sure how to post it
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 16th April 2014, 17:49
Chris Jenkins Chris Jenkins is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1968 - 1990
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Coyle View Post
Have photo of British Monarch when we were anchored off Osaka with Aussie coal not sure how to post it
Great Jim! I've sent you a Private Message which you can access from the tool bar at the top of the page.

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 16th April 2014, 18:32
gadgee gadgee is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1979
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,911
One British Monarch here

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...onarch/cat/510
and
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...onarch/cat/510

another newer one here

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...acific/cat/510

Just search in our Gallery
__________________
Paul J.

Last edited by gadgee; 16th April 2014 at 18:37..
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 16th April 2014, 18:39
Chris Jenkins Chris Jenkins is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1968 - 1990
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 41
Yep, thanks...the second Bulk carrier was the one I was looking for, and photos of her are elusive. I am pretty certain I was on her when the photo was taken as I remember the mid Pacific meeting.

Last edited by Chris Jenkins; 16th April 2014 at 20:53..
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:21
Jim Coyle Jim Coyle is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 2010
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5
Wrong Chris as at the time Volnay went screaming past us BM had a blue hull
I do remember Gowrie not letting us get to close in case SOMETHING happened
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:51
Chris Jenkins Chris Jenkins is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1968 - 1990
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Coyle View Post
Wrong Chris as at the time Volnay went screaming past us BM had a blue hull
I do remember Gowrie not letting us get to close in case SOMETHING happened
Ah....yes that sounds right ! Did you get my PM Jim ?

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 17th May 2014, 14:08
Johnallan1 Johnallan1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10
Ex 5th and 4th engineer on Norse Pilot Eric

I was 5th on the Norse Pilot and Laurentian Forest, then 4th on the Norse Herald.

I have heard there was a book published about Harrison's Clyde and would like to get a copy
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 17th May 2014, 17:12
Jim Coyle Jim Coyle is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 2010
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5
Book is called A Curious Venture and is quite good as Michelle could be contacted at [email protected] and Michelle was very quick at sending my copy
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 15th June 2014, 21:03
david watson david watson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Coyle View Post
Book is called A Curious Venture and is quite good as Michelle could be contacted at [email protected] and Michelle was very quick at sending my copy
Hi Jim,

Good to see you are still alive and kicking. Don't think we've met since that trip up to Kenai when you broke your wrist, and I had to send a message to Glasgow saying the Mate was plastered!
Hope you are keeping well.

David Watson.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clamity, Clanity, Clyde Entrprise, Viego, Mehmet, Amenity, Anonity, Robert Dundas, clydesiderman Ship Research 12 6th February 2011 15:53
HMS Exmouth and HMS Clyde at Ardrossan in June 1962 clydesiderman Royal Navy 2 10th July 2007 22:32
Labour say SNP will destroy Clyde ship yards. rushie News and Views from the Shipping World 4 22nd March 2007 00:58
Shipyards support 4500 Clyde jobs rushie News and Views from the Shipping World 0 20th March 2007 09:41



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.