Ben Edra - Ships Nostalgia
21:12

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ben Edra

User Tag List

Old 11th April 2008, 15:27

Ben Edra

Does anyone have any information/photographs on the `ben boats` that fished and landed at North Shields in the 70`s, im particularly interested in the Ben Edra.
Cheers Paul.
Old 11th April 2008, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldsman View Post
Does anyone have any information/photographs on the `ben boats` that fished and landed at North Shields in the 70`s, im particularly interested in the Ben Edra.
Cheers Paul.
The Ben Asdale was wrecked during a gale on 30th December 1979 on rocks off Maenporth Beach, Falmouth Bay, South Cornwall.
Old 11th April 2008, 17:09

Thanks for that Davie, much appreciated.

Cheers Paul.
Old 11th April 2008, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab. View Post
The Ben Asdale was wrecked during a gale on 30th December 1979 on rocks off Maenporth Beach, Falmouth Bay, South Cornwall.
Thanks for that Rab.

Paul.
Old 24th May 2008, 08:09
william lisle

i can remmber the ben strome ben glas ben
Old 21st September 2008, 12:43

To;" Shieldsman",
1970's, I worked regularly with three of the Shields
"Ben Boats" on the Faroe/Iceland grounds.
"Ben Strome", skipper Ernie Longhorn (from Sunderland)a good friend of mine.
"Ben Torc" skipper ---- I think it was a Jock Slater(Aberdeen guy).
"Ben Chourn" skipper Kit Jamieson (originally from Eyemouth)
"Ben Glas" cant remember who was skipper their but she was a smaller vessel and worked mainly in the North Sea.
"Strome" / "Torc" / "Chourn" were all built at the Lewis Yard in Aberdeen
all more or less to the same design. They were all regarded as fine ships.
Old 23rd September 2008, 21:55

Ben Glas skippered by Stan Sheader(Hartlepool).
Old 24th September 2008, 20:28

Seem to remember that Stan (Hartlepool) was skipper on the Laura or was that before the Glas?
Bert.
Old 9th November 2008, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Tait View Post
To;" Shieldsman",
1970's, I worked regularly with three of the Shields
"Ben Boats" on the Faroe/Iceland grounds.
"Ben Strome", skipper Ernie Longhorn (from Sunderland)a good friend of mine.
"Ben Torc" skipper ---- I think it was a Jock Slater(Aberdeen guy).
"Ben Chourn" skipper Kit Jamieson (originally from Eyemouth)
"Ben Glas" cant remember who was skipper their but she was a smaller vessel and worked mainly in the North Sea.
"Strome" / "Torc" / "Chourn" were all built at the Lewis Yard in Aberdeen
all more or less to the same design. They were all regarded as fine ships.
yes george your right about ernie on the strome ,im his son ,he is sadly no longer with us but it is nice to see him mentioned as he spent a lot of time on the ben boats ,in particular the strome and he had a few record catches himself top skipper ect , thanks for mentioning him ,i tried to acess pics but it says i cant but never mind ive some pics of my own
Old 16th November 2008, 13:18

To: "Quint",
Sorry to hear about my old buddie ernie. We worked together many times in these days now gone and yes, he was certainly one of the
"big names" in the "Ben Boats". of the late 60's/70's...
Old 16th November 2008, 16:07

did ernie williams have the ben glas
Old 21st November 2008, 20:41

Quote:
Sorry to hear about my old buddie ernie. We worked together many times in these days now gone and yes, he was certainly one of the
thanks mate he certainly was,he sadly left us 7 months after my mother passed away ,i know theyl be together again now,big shock to us all and only just coming to terms with it.nice to hear you were his pal he had many thanks again
Old 21st November 2008, 20:46

another ben boat i dont hear mentioned is the ben iedres,well think thats how it was spelt stern trawler,my dad sailed on her a while aswell , have a good pic of it here i think ,by the way george ive still got a good keepsake off the strome my dad brought home one day
Old 4th January 2009, 18:58
Catering 1958 - 2007
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Used to have a drink with Ernie in the Railway Club.
Old 8th January 2009, 21:37

Hallo there lads, just a quickie I think that the Ben Glas skipper might've been Bobbie Palmer aka 'black Bob'. Don't remember him personally coz I was too young but me dad was Peter Allen who was the Skipper lost on the Ben Asdale at Falmouth. Me dad was really good mates with Bob Palmer, Kit Jamieson Freddie Howes & loads more incl. Ernie Williams & Ernie Longhorn. They're the only one's I remember at the moment. Great to have a site like this to chew over old memories. Great stuff. Cheers Pete A
Old 15th January 2009, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7heroes View Post
Hallo there lads, just a quickie I think that the Ben Glas skipper might've been Bobbie Palmer aka 'black Bob'. Don't remember him personally coz I was too young but me dad was Peter Allen who was the Skipper lost on the Ben Asdale at Falmouth. Me dad was really good mates with Bob Palmer, Kit Jamieson Freddie Howes & loads more incl. Ernie Williams & Ernie Longhorn. They're the only one's I remember at the moment. Great to have a site like this to chew over old memories. Great stuff. Cheers Pete A
sorry to hear about yer dad mate ,i belive i heard me father mention his name and boat when we were talking about stuff,its a good site i agree mate, im surprised theres not more use it cos theres fewer boats getting out now ,good to hear from you and the rest
Old 6th February 2009, 23:49

Hi, Pete, I have just found this site and i feel quite emotional with the memorys it brings back to me.I was on the Asdale when it was lost(3rd Eng.). Barty Cole was the skipper and your dad was mate.I have very fond memorys of the short time we sailed together,although time has dimmed my memory some what. Bobby Palmer might of been on the Glass, or Chourn, but i sailed with him on the Ben Edra about 2yrs before it was sold to the Canadiens and went to fish on the Grand Banks in Canada.I also did a trip on the Ben Chourn i think the skipper was Ernie??.After the Asdale incident iwent on to sail on the Ben Royal/Ben Loyal as deckie engineer wich was a dismal failure as the fishing industry was in sharp decline.
I am sorry if i have rambled on, it wasjust seeing your name on this site that brought back so many memorys.
Kind Regards to you and your family
Bob Webster.
Old 18th February 2009, 19:40

"Black Bob"Palmer took the Ben Vurie for many years,also remember a "Jock" Morrisey taking the Ben Torc for a while.
Old 18th February 2009, 21:54

my brother worked on the ben boats in the 70's im sure,
his name is aubrey williams or (bob) or (will), does anyone remember him , he still lives in shields
Old 3rd March 2009, 22:54

>>>>>>> Hi, Pete, I have just found this site and i feel quite emotional with the memorys it brings back to me.I was on the Asdale when it was lost(3rd Eng.). Barty Cole was the skipper and your dad was mate.I have very fond memorys of the short time we sailed together,although time has dimmed my memory some what. Bobby Palmer might of been on the Glass, or Chourn, but i sailed with him on the Ben Edra about 2yrs before it was sold to the Canadiens and went to fish on the Grand Banks in Canada.I also did a trip on the Ben Chourn i think the skipper was Ernie??.After the Asdale incident iwent on to sail on the Ben Royal/Ben Loyal as deckie engineer wich was a dismal failure as the fishing industry was in sharp decline.
I am sorry if i have rambled on, it wasjust seeing your name on this site that brought back so many memorys.
Kind Regards to you and your family
Bob Webster. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello Bob thanks for the Kind Regards - passed them onto me mother too! Lots of emotions at this end as well but life goes on and we prefer to remember the good times not the sad ones so much nowadays thankfully. I actually went to Maenporth for the first time about 5 years ago - took me that long to pluck up the courage! The sun was shining & the water was a mill pond - quite a contrast. Don't think I'd go back but put some demons to rest. Sorry about dwelliing on the sad bits & hope it doesn't cause too much upset for you or anyone else reading. Regards Pete Allen
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:14

What other Ben boats were there?? I remember the Roy and Royal Edra and as i remember Idra?? I remember having 2 weeks summer holiday when i was about 13 i think on the Idris or Irene and i remember being out pretty far and being sick lots but i remember how amazing it was.
Old 28th April 2009, 19:47

The other boat I remember and know best of all was the Ben Wyvis which I think was a sister to the Edra. I also sailed on the Asdale, Lui, Gairn and Heilem all from Aberdeen. Happy days indeed and a great adventure for a 15 year old. If anyone has a picture of the Benn Wyvis I would be grateful. Id also like to contact anyone who sailed on these boats.

Last edited by Iain Gray; 28th April 2009 at 19:50..