'Apolonia' Mallorca 1884-1930 - Ships Nostalgia
12:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

'Apolonia' Mallorca 1884-1930

User Tag List

Old 27th August 2017, 22:35

'Apolonia' Mallorca 1884-1930

Hi,

Hopefully this is the correct place to post this.

I'm an artist and I've been commissioned to reproduce a fairly large (72"x48") painting of a ship called the 'Apolonia' which was owned and operated by a family in Mallorca at the turn of the last century. The painting will ultimately hang in the lobby of a hotel which has been converted from their old family home.

The original painting was once owned by the family but has been sold and knowledge of its whereabouts are lost.

All I have to work from is a low res photo of a print of the original painting. So I'm trying to do some research to see if I can find out exactly what sort of ship it was and perhaps find contemporaneous paintings of equivalent ships to stay as true to the original as possible.

I'm afraid my knowledge of ships is very limited so my research has been pretty basic to say the least :P I was hoping that I may get some help here or at least some advice about how to go about researching an old ship like this online.

This is all I have been told about the ship by the fellow who commissioned the painting:

- The painting is signed by one of the Oliver family, who owned the boat and lived in the house that is being renovated.

- The ship was delivered to the family in Mallorca sailing from Barcelona in 1884 and was sunk in a storm in the Mediterranean in January 1930.

I've also attached the photo I have of the painting.

Hopefully that makes sense, thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg apolonia - can frare (1).jpg (22.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 27th August 2017, 23:06

What type of ship?

She is rigged as a schooner and looks as though she served as a private yacht.

Somebody else here is highly likely to know more.

Hope this might help, if only a little