Counties Ship Management Co Ltd, - Ships Nostalgia
18:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Counties Ship Management Co Ltd,

User Tag List

Old 15th September 2008, 23:15

My location
Counties Ship Management Co Ltd,

I served my apprenticeship with "Counties" between 1953 and 1958 and there must be many other SN subscribers who have served with this company. Is there anybody there ?!!!!!
NB MV London Banker and SS Akti Hill.
Old 15th September 2008, 23:37

Welcome to SN, Dave. If you haven't already found it, you may also be interested in the following website: http://www.lof-news.co.uk/

John T.
Old 9th October 2008, 21:48

My location
Thanks for the info Trotterdotpom, I'll keep my eye on that LOF website.
Dave 437.
Old 12th December 2008, 05:47

Counties

Dave 437,
was an apprentice also from 1953 to 1957 on the Fry,Pine and Harrow Hill Ships. A very rewarding experience though I didn't think so at the time
Regards
Bill Jones
(email address removed as per site policy - MS)

Last edited by K urgess; 12th December 2008 at 12:39.. Reason: email address removed as per site policy
Old 12th December 2008, 12:39

My location
Welcome to the crew, Bill.
I've removed your email address because the site is searchable from the internet and you could end up getting a lot of spam.
Find your way around the ship and have a good trip.
Old 21st December 2008, 16:01

apprentice on Streatham Hill 1961-1963 Maple and Beech Hill as third mate . best days of my life
Old 21st December 2008, 22:42

My location
Hi Bruce, well you were a bit later than me (1953-1958), the 2 ships I sailed in were a Doxford economy (London Banker ex Tower Hill) and the Akti Hill, ex Fort La Cloche. Maybe by your time they had modernised...had they? I well remember that the Akti Hill was badly corroded, my fellow apprentice and I spent many hours using a windy hammer on tne hatch coamings, the decks and the tween deck. Thats why my hands shake now.......well thats my excuse!
Dave 437
Old 9th January 2010, 04:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave437 View Post
I served my apprenticeship with "Counties" between 1953 and 1958 and there must be many other SN subscribers who have served with this company. Is there anybody there ?!!!!!
NB MV London Banker and SS Akti Hill.
I was interested to read your CV. I served on the London Banker from 1951 to 1953, as 3rd and 2nd Mate, leaving her on the London river in July 1953, to sit for my 1st Mates ticket. The Master at that time was Captain Newton, but he was being relieved by Captain W.D. McKenzie, who appeared to be the permanent Master of that ship. I recall the ship had a big hole in the bow, suitably patched with concrete and a steel plate welded around the hole, sustained in Dijoubti, whilst on our way out to Indo China. I understood that she had been sold to Purvis shipping of Newcastle and was to be renamed Avisbank?
Geoff Baskerville
Old 9th January 2010, 04:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecorbin View Post
apprentice on Streatham Hill 1961-1963 Maple and Beech Hill as third mate . best days of my life
Did you ever come across a Captain Peter W. James, he was Master of the Beech Hill when she was on the Australian coast??
Geoff Baskerville
Old 12th August 2010, 16:17
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1962

Anyone out there with a picture of Sudbury Hill ?. I served on her for two trips, as R/O June 55 till Jan 56. Coal then general to the west indies, every Island they could find. Captain Nelson, so i was in good company.
Old 12th August 2010, 16:33
Department: Purser
Active: 1955 - 1966

I sailed with Counties as supercargo on two ships whilst they were on charter to Harrisons of Liverpool.
They were Wynchwood Hill (2 trips) 26.08 1957 to 16.11. 1957. the Master was Capt Dalzieel.
Sycamore Hill 26.05.1963 Master Capt.Humby.
Anybody remember me?
Pat Baker.
Old 5th October 2011, 17:26
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - Present

My location
As a young child, I was on the Fry Hill & Wynchwood Hill with my father, who at that time I think was 2nd/Engineer..he also worked ashore around that time, but have no details....
Old 20th January 2014, 16:45

A friend of mine is preparing a talk on the loss of the ss Barn Hill due toi enemy action and her wrecking near Eastbourne in WW2. He is desperately seeking a photo of her in service or in previous ownership as ss Canadian Challenger.
Can anyone help please? I have found one picture already on SN of her wrecked and on fire https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...eamer-/cat/523 but it would be nice also to have one of her in service.

West Africa Health Warning!
Beware, beware the Bight of Benin,
Few come out though many go in!!
Old 20th January 2014, 17:31

I was apprentice on Notting Hill fron Sept 1948 to about March 1952. Served my time on that one ship. Afterwards, I went to Woldingham Hill as 3rd Mate., leaving Counties to sit for Mate.
Old 17th January 2015, 14:29
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1956 - Present

Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry pennington View Post
Anyone out there with a picture of Sudbury Hill ?. I served on her for two trips, as R/O June 55 till Jan 56. Coal then general to the west indies, every Island they could find. Captain Nelson, so i was in good company.
Did you ever find your photogragh of the Sudbury Hill first ship I ever boarded as an office boy. She was loading in Birkenhead for East Africa for T & J Harrison. he Captain was Roy Nelson.
Old 17th January 2015, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman hardaker View Post
Did you ever find your photogragh of the Sudbury Hill first ship I ever boarded as an office boy. She was loading in Birkenhead for East Africa for T & J Harrison. he Captain was Roy Nelson.
Dear Norman, No luck on the Photo, but when I was on her up till 5th jan 56 in liverpool. Captain was Roy Nelson. Regards Harry

Last edited by harry pennington; 17th January 2015 at 17:02.. Reason: new info
Old 17th January 2015, 17:04

If you look on Gallery. "Fort Capot River" looks like sister ship
Old 17th January 2015, 17:52

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman hardaker View Post
Some on here of her:

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20...S/index39.html
Old 17th January 2015, 19:09

Will download tomorrow for you
Old 18th January 2015, 10:46

I found the photogragh of the Sudbury hill only one slight problem can anyone help with downloading.
Old 19th January 2015, 11:40
Super Moderator
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Norman,

click on the Gallery. then you will find - Upload Photos - in the top right hand corner. Click here and it will give you all the info you need to upload.

Hawkey01
Old 19th January 2015, 13:31

Many thanks yesterday managed to download a photie of the Sudbury Hill. which appears to have been successful. Many thanks for your assistance.
Old 19th January 2015, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry pennington View Post
If you look on Gallery. "Fort Capot River" looks like sister ship
Fort Capot River, built by N Vancouver Ship Repairs (I think it was "Repairs"). She was renamed Haligonian Duke--Canadian Flag, British crew and therein lay a problem with the Australian unions. The cargo we took to Melbourne was coal, imported because the miners were on strike. All good stuff, we lay at Victoria Dock for five months. In the end, the RAN discharged us, swinging the cargo grabs around until there was not an undamaged ventilator in sight! The crew got Canadiuan pay, in the end, but not before a lot of them had been carted off to gaol. They were replaced by others who had, probably jumped previous ships. Soon afterwards she was renamed Notting Hill. I served all my time on that one ship, the last nine months being the best months I spent as an apprentice.

She sank after a collision off the Spanish coast, after having been sold to another owner.
Old 2nd June 2018, 07:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Baskerville View Post
I was interested to read your CV. I served on the London Banker from 1951 to 1953, as 3rd and 2nd Mate, leaving her on the London river in July 1953, to sit for my 1st Mates ticket. The Master at that time was Captain Newton, but he was being relieved by Captain W.D. McKenzie, who appeared to be the permanent Master of that ship. I recall the ship had a big hole in the bow, suitably patched with concrete and a steel plate welded around the hole, sustained in Dijoubti, whilst on our way out to Indo China. I understood that she had been sold to Purvis shipping of Newcastle and was to be renamed Avisbank?
Geoff Baskerville
I joined Counties as Apprentice on Notting Hill 5/10/53.Master was Capt Newton Master
Old 31st August 2018, 21:36

Hi, I'm keen to learn absolutely anything about the Woldingham Hill. Five years ago I made a presentation to the local history society about Woldingham's connections with the sea. I had found three ships including the Woldingham Hill. So I have the general idea and some photos but not really any details eg of routes she sailed, her personnel, etc. I'd be glad to hear from you!