Lumiere - Ships Nostalgia
13:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Lumiere

User Tag List

Old 31st January 2009, 21:10

My location
Lumiere

One of the best ships I have ever sailed on was the MT Lumiere. A Moss Tanker being run by Cunard-Ellerman. Hard working ship but brilliant shipmates.
I'd love to hear from ex-shipmates who remember the good times up until '92 when it went to Guernsey Ship Management.

Please feel free to reply with witty reminiscings etc eg Tommy Bampton (C/E) enthralling us one Saturday with the technicalities of breeding pedigree cats, or Ingy (3rd Engineer) winding up Vic Murray (C/E) by chilling the red wine !!
Old 29th July 2009, 23:32
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Electrician
Active: 1966 - 1983

My location
M.T Lumiere

Hi Jim!!
When were you on Lumiere, I was on her from Mar.to Jul. 76, as Electrician. I joined in Curacao and left in Gibraltar, via Halifax N.S, Rotterdam and Immingham. Gordon Ward was skipper to R/dam and followed by P.R. Owen and I think John Hoy was C/E. I sailed with Tommy Bampton on the "Luny Mouse" in 75.

rgds
Old 30th July 2009, 10:04

My location
Did one trip on Lumiere, March to August 1975 as Mate. For my second trip on Lumiere I relieved Gordon Ward for three months in 1992
Old 6th August 2009, 13:36

Did she have Pielsticks ? I'm amazed she lasted till the early 90's. There must have been some vast improvements on the Luminous..john g
Old 6th August 2009, 14:02

Hi i was a steward on the Lumiere early 80s, pipe line to the sky,in port stanley.
Neil
Old 6th August 2009, 20:54

My location
Hi John G.
Yes Lumiere did have 2off Pielstik V12 2.0 engines clutched and coupled, via a reduction gearbox, to a sinlge shaft. She also had Shaft Alts fed before the gearbox. I'm not sure about her but the "Luny Mouse" was retrofitted in Singapore with BBC Turbo Blowers, when we came out of D/Dock the Drivers had to put there steaming bonnets on Backwards. I was Lecky on her at the time.

rgds

Last edited by pensioner; 6th August 2009 at 23:14..
Old 8th August 2009, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensioner View Post
Hi John G.
Yes Lumiere did have 2off Pielstik V12 2.0 engines clutched and coupled, via a reduction gearbox, to a sinlge shaft. She also had Shaft Alts fed before the gearbox. I'm not sure about her but the "Luny Mouse" was retrofitted in Singapore with BBC Turbo Blowers, when we came out of D/Dock the Drivers had to put there steaming bonnets on Backwards. I was Lecky on her at the time.

rgds
The original blowers on the Luminous were a nightmare in fact the whole show was rubbish, they obviously improved things , the chief at the time was a guy called Bain who had a passion about stipping the Napier units and cleaning them ...a lot of work for nothing....funny how things stick in your memory
Old 8th August 2009, 20:21

My location
Luminetta also had the Napiers replaced by Brown Boveri. Blower problems were then relegated to memory. I can't remember what year / age that happened.
Old 9th August 2009, 01:47
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
The Moss Tankers you have referred to had Napier Blowers and they were a disaster . The Chief Bain would have been Johnnie Bain from Scotland .
The change out to Brown Boveri would have been a very good move .
Mahsud and Mahair had Brown Boveri from the outset and never a problem . The tankers has Naiper and they were a curse .
Old 9th August 2009, 21:56

My location
Hi Dereck.
Yes The Moss tankers came out of the builders with Napier Blowers, but after a number of wasted years and money, Cunard finally saw sense and changed to BBC. The difference was immense, where on the Napiers Exhaust Temperature was always the watchwords after change Max Power seemed to be the new ones, for same cargo in same conditions on "Luny Mouse" an extra Knot and half was no problem, and of course being on time and speed charter the blowers soon payed for themselves.
rgds.
Old 12th August 2009, 16:00

Hi Derek yes it was Johnnie Bain, he relieved another chief who had been onboard since the dockyard handover, this was voyage No 2 and never forgotten. We had a 2nd eng Wally Halverson ? anyone any idea if he ever was ever seen again on the Cunard/Brock/Moss circuit
Old 20th August 2009, 09:55

My location
Pensioner
I was on the Lumiere from Aug 89 until Aug 92, apart from one trip on the ACT 2 in 90. I was one of the last guys on her when Guernsey Ship Management took over the manning. Ian Ingram was the only Cunard (P&OCL) guy left after me.
Old 24th August 2009, 16:06

What happened to her in the end, in fact does anyone have any idea where the Luminous ended up ? John G
Old 15th October 2009, 22:41
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1981

My location
John G
Sailed on Luminous in about 1976. P Gulf, Singapore, Batangas to Hong Kong. Great ship. She was sold to Saudi owners to become the Al Khafji in 1977, then she was sold to Greeks in 1984 and became Kriti Episkopi until finally ending up on the beach at Alang in 1999. She did outlast Lumiere and Luminetta though:
Lumiere became Leona III in 1993 and was beached at Alang in 1995.
Old 15th October 2009, 22:54

Anyone remember the Daily Mirror comic strip 'Garth'. There was an odd looking character called Professor Lumiere in it.
Sorry, off topic, I'll get me coat.
Old 29th April 2015, 10:29

Morning,
I am new to this site and this is my first post.
Basically every time I hear the band Bad Company I think of the Lumiere, just heard it now. The name Ingy, rings a bell, and Vic Murray ring bells. Was Vic's wife called Jude?
I was a P&O engineer cadet, Gavin Kernaghan - Belfast, who sailed round S. Africa in early 1992. Maybe my best ever commercial trip to sea.
There was a lecky, Graham from Whitburn - big lad, on board at the time. I heard he was crushed in a lift on a container ship.
The Second engineer was Mike ??? who was the big Bad Company fan. Any one remember him?
Pilsbury was the fiver and there was even a girl deck cadet.

Someone please help me remember Mike ????
Old 29th April 2015, 15:34
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwan View Post
Morning,

There was a lecky, Graham from Whitburn - big lad, on board at the time. I heard he was crushed in a lift on a container ship.
Yes, sadly Graham was killed in a lift accident on one of P&OCL's big Far Easters (Peninsular from memory) around 1993, 1994, a good shipmate RIP

Anyone sail with Steve Percival on the Lumiere?

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 29th April 2015, 19:19
Active: 1974 - Present

First trip engine cadet 1977 joined Capetown. Stan Jones Chief, Des Smythe old man, 2nd was Maltese, 3rd was ex-P&O or Trident steam chief doing his motor time, Phil Douglas. Then I think Big John Hotham, 4th Tony Sheldrake, fiver Mike ? Then Ian May Chief, Leccy Tom from Ashington, other cadet Pete Paisley, Jane (Rogers?) deck cadet was there for a while also.
Luminetta a few years later before redundancy as 4th. Worst thing was Sharples Gravitrol purifiers. Should have stuck to milk!
Dannic
Old 20th July 2015, 14:11
Active: 1977 - 1984

I did my first trip as an engine cadet on the Lumiere - joined her in 1979 in Durban. Chief was Dave Richardson, second Derek Clarke, third Gary Muncaster (had his wife with him), fourth Bob (the knob) Ives, fiver Dave Green. Lecky never came out of his cabin except to bronzy and pick up a bottle of rum from the grocer (Iggy Jamieson). Old man was Dave Watson, can't remember the mate, second officer was Pete Moxon (also had his wife with him, Mary I think). I remember Bob Ives had a girlfriend from the rooftop bar at the Royal hotel in Durban. One day Bob was propositioned by the girlfriends aunty with the immortal words "Bob, what would you say if I told you I want you - now"?
Great ship.
Old 19th August 2015, 22:21

My location
Gavin - 2/E was Mike Emery. I was probably on with you - I was 4/E from Nov 91 until mid March 92 and joined again from early May 92 until late Aug 92.
Duncan - I sailed with Percy on the Lumiere. Last I heard he was on cruise ships.
Old 20th August 2015, 19:47
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmaclean View Post
Gavin - 2/E was Mike Emery. I was probably on with you - I was 4/E from Nov 91 until mid March 92 and joined again from early May 92 until late Aug 92.
Duncan - I sailed with Percy on the Lumiere. Last I heard he was on cruise ships.
Thanks Jim,

I had his address in Carlisle - above the shopping centre in the posh flats - will look again next time I'm there

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 11th November 2016, 20:13

It's ages since I've been on this site but it's Remembrance Day today and I was the C/O on the Lumiere when it was a storage tanker in The Falklands in 1983. I got relieved by whoever it was that took over from me and had 3 days before I got to fly home, so I was delegated to represent the MN at the San Carlos war memorial service with Prince Andrew and Maj. Gen Peter de la Billiere. I was just about to post the souvenir photo on Facebook but found it has been lost to moisture behind the glass frame. I doubt anybody has a copy as I was the only MN person there. Reading some of the other posts has really reminded me of the good old days and some of the tanker fleet personalities.
Old 17th November 2016, 15:33
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - Present

I can remember shipping a Turbo Blower in a lifeboat from Luminous to Lustrous (or vice Versa) in the middle of the Gulf of Papua,north of Australia. We had to be SO careful with that box !
Old 18th November 2016, 18:56

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by romney01 View Post
I did my first trip as an engine cadet on the Lumiere - joined her in 1979 in Durban.Old man was Dave Watson, can't remember the mate, second officer was Pete Moxon (also had his wife with him, Mary I think).
Great ship.
Wayne Olsen, Jack Dobson, John Laing were around at that time as Mate. I know Wayne did a spell on that coast. I'll see if I can drag a few more names out
Old 8th May 2017, 10:55

Dave Coogans

I was on Lumiere from August to December 79 on SA coast. I was deck cadet with Brice something or other. Wayne Olsen was C/O and Watson was the Old Man. Probably the best trip I did. Finished of on the Servia as Third Mate. One of the Engineers was a rabid Ipswich supporter. The rest is all a bit vague.
Quote:
Originally Posted by romney01 View Post
I did my first trip as an engine cadet on the Lumiere - joined her in 1979 in Durban. Chief was Dave Richardson, second Derek Clarke, third Gary Muncaster (had his wife with him), fourth Bob (the knob) Ives, fiver Dave Green. Lecky never came out of his cabin except to bronzy and pick up a bottle of rum from the grocer (Iggy Jamieson). Old man was Dave Watson, can't remember the mate, second officer was Pete Moxon (also had his wife with him, Mary I think). I remember Bob Ives had a girlfriend from the rooftop bar at the Royal hotel in Durban. One day Bob was propositioned by the girlfriends aunty with the immortal words "Bob, what would you say if I told you I want you - now"?
Great ship.