"Al Andalus" of KOTC (1975) - Ships Nostalgia
14:44

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

"Al Andalus" of KOTC (1975)

User Tag List

Old 23rd December 2017, 12:56

"Al Andalus" of KOTC (1975)

Just uploaded a photo that I found in my " archives" to the Gallery. Its of Kuwait Oil Tanker Co's " Al Andalus",taken up the Gulf, which Auke Visser's splendid website tells me was 362,946 dwt and built 1975 by Astano at El Ferrol, but scrapped in 1985.Are any SN readers familiar with her?
As an old steamship engineer I'm interested that she was a twin-screw steamship and therefore must have had a pretty impressive engine room. Can anyone answer the following for me-
- did she have any sisterships or was she a one-off?
- if a one-off, would that make her the biggest ship ever built in Spain?
- was she an economy build, or state-of -the-art for her time?
- was she scrapped so early purely because of operating costs, or did she have other problems?
I would be interested to hear comments and recollections on what was one of the largest vessels I ever saw while at sea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Al Andalus.jpg (127.0 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by Steve Hodges; 23rd December 2017 at 13:04.. Reason: Inaccuracy
Old 15th February 2018, 22:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1967 - 1982

Smile Don Walker. 3rd Engineer. Common Bros. Newcastle.

In the early 70s Common Bros. Managed VLCC Tankers for KOTCo S.T. AL. Sabbiyah. S.T. Arabiyah. S.T. Alfuntas. S.T. AL Badiah Which I sailed on her last voyage before being handed back to KOTCo. Late 1973.

These ships were all sister ships of around 230 ooo Tonnes. I remember being approached by KOTCo. To join their fleet. Some engineers did make the move and it all appeared amicable with Common Bros.The S.T Kazimah. and S.T. WARBAH which I sailed on remained a bit longer. Sorry to say I have no recollection of AL.Andalus however I suspect it was a one off, but it does look fabulous ,especially loaded and under full steam. Love it.

Last edited by Don Walker; 16th February 2018 at 05:02..
Old 30th May 2018, 16:45
Active: 1999 - Present

Santa María

Santa Maria tanker, along with her twin Al Alandalus were a little larger than the previous ones of Arteaga class ship that had raised great expectations during its launching because the Japanese made their big oil in dry docks to avoid moments bending during launching, to such an extent caused expectation managers Japanese shipyards were present to see how the ship broke to slide along the sloping stand, which did not happen, but large waves produced when entering the water caused minor damage in the next and wettings banks among the many spectators who came to witness the launchings of these masses of steel.

More information in link: http://tecnologia-maritima.blogspot....nta-maria.html
Old 21st April 2019, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark-ta View Post
Santa Maria tanker, along with her twin Al Alandalus were a little larger than the previous ones of Arteaga class ship that had raised great expectations during its launching because the Japanese made their big oil in dry docks to avoid moments bending during launching, to such an extent caused expectation managers Japanese shipyards were present to see how the ship broke to slide along the sloping stand, which did not happen, but large waves produced when entering the water caused minor damage in the next and wettings banks among the many spectators who came to witness the launchings of these masses of steel.

More information in link: http://tecnologia-maritima.blogspot....nta-maria.html
Thanks for that - it's a pity I can't read Spanish. I am awestruck that a ship that big would be launched from a slipway. I saw the Texaco Great Britain slip-launched on the Tyne - she was 252,000dwt and I thought that was about the practical size limit.
Old 22nd April 2019, 07:47
Active: 1970 - Present

The Texaco Great Britain was probably the worst ship ever built in GB. And probably UK.
Old 22nd April 2019, 18:08
Active: 1974 - 1982

Was the Texaco South America, London & Spain also built by Astilleros y Talleres del Noroeste S.A. (ASTANO) - launched on a slipway?