Ink - Ships Nostalgia
02:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ink

User Tag List

Old 23rd April 2019, 16:09

Ink

Advice please on the merits or otherwise of "genuine" ink as compared
with the cheeepo stuff.
I have been using 5 out of 6 of the latter in my Epson XP 55 and really
don't notice any difference in the quality of the photos produced.
Epson keep telling me that if I continue to use this rubbisjh they will not honour the warranty on my printer but as it is now four years old I am not too concerned
Old 23rd April 2019, 17:01
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

Dell claimed to be very particular about the toners in their printers and issued warnings not to use non Dell replacements . All our printers (3 no.) are Dell branded.

I have never replaced exhausted toner with Dell brand but use "compatibles" from a trusted source without any issues whatsoever.

I would say that the "compatibles" are not always as full as the originals though but still a huge price reduction.

BW

J
Old 23rd April 2019, 18:11
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

I have two Epsons in the garage which refuse to work now...yes I got all the messages but carried on using a mix of compatibles and the odd 'real thing'....I also have a box full of Canon compatibles which won't work either now. My current machine,which is little used since retirement, I only use the genuine HP cartridges . George I find cheapest genuine ones,any brand, I get from Wilko rather than Asda or the market as I used to....

geoff
Old 23rd April 2019, 19:36
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
After much searching, I bought an Epson L380. This is a printer/scanner/copier without Bluetooth. After over one year of use, 1770 letter size prints, around 1650 in colour of which many, maybe a majority, are full page and 5x7 photos in the highest resolution (almost 1:1 in pixels, camera almost 30MP), I have just replenished the external tanks with EPSON inks. It was only half a bottle of each (4). The cost was about GBP37.50, so that is 18.75 for the top up, working out for colour at 1.14p per page! I recommend the real thing.

I have also found that for the best quality, it is best to use original media, except for the 5x7's where the Canon paper works fine. For normal printing (Reports, Excel etc.), I use 90g ultra white (99%) bond which gives a very presentable result.

Best regards,
Dave
Old 23rd April 2019, 20:47
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

For many years the printer manufacturers have been selling ink jet printers at prices verging on loss-leaders, in the expectation that in the (often short) life of the machine the buyers would spend more on replacement ink cartridges than they spent on the machine in the first place. Epson, years ago, used chipped cartridges where the chips counted the number of pages printed and then declared the cartridge empty even if it wasn't. Any attempt to refill them with non-Epson inks didn't work because the chip still registered the cartridge as empty, and non-Epson cartridges didn't work either as the printer wouldn't recognise them without a chip.

Some of the printer manufacturers became even more sneaky -- I recall one printer I owned years ago that would stop working if one of the cartridges registered empty, and it required all of them to be replaced before it would work again. I bought a chip re setter from an outfit in Italy and bought replacement inks from Tesco!
Old 24th April 2019, 17:12
Active: 1955 - 1960

My current printer which I've had for several years, and is little used of late, is an HP Photosmart C 4400 series, in which I've successfully used both genuine and re-manufactured cartridges.

Recently, I bought an HP "Compatible" from Tesco for £10, which the printer told me was "Incompatible cartridge installed" and refused to work.
Tesco took it back and I spent another £9 to get a genuine cartridge, which unsurprisingly, worked OK.

You pays your money and take your chance.
Old 26th April 2019, 19:19
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1963 - 1995

I have an HP Envy 5640 printer. I have found that the best and cheapest place to get cartridges is from the HP shop. They generally arrive next day with free delivery. Which is better than driving 20 miles there and back to my nearest Tesco/WH Smith or Currys

David
+
Old 26th April 2019, 19:41
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.hopcroft View Post
I have an HP Envy 5640 printer. I have found that the best and cheapest place to get cartridges is from the HP shop. They generally arrive next day with free delivery. Which is better than driving 20 miles there and back to my nearest Tesco/WH Smith or Currys

David
+
Can only agree with you, I have an HP printer that takes 364 inks, £31 from HP, £39 at Tesco, `nuff said.
Old 26th April 2019, 20:30
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

We have a franchise chain of ink refilling shops called Cartridge Wirkd that refills cartridges of most makes for about half the original price. No trouble over the last four years using a Brother printer on a daily basis .

Bob
Old 27th April 2019, 04:48

I may have said all this before in an earlier thread. If so, my apologies but it might help someone on here in Oz at least.

I have had a Canon iP3600 printer for many years and it has served me well.

A set of 'genuine' Canon inks (CLI-520) costs around $ A 130 at Officeworks for the 4 small tanks. Not sure if this includes the big black tank or not?

Anyway, for anyone in Oz there is a mob called Betterbatt here in Melbourne from whom I get a set of 5 after market inks for around $ A 30.00 including delivery - a saving of around $100 Oz a set!

Betterbatt also sell every battery known to man. I have had no problem in buying batteries or ink from them on and off for years.

No, I am not their Sales Manager but I do appreciate and recognise good service when I get it.

Geoff (YM)
Old 27th April 2019, 06:55
Active: 1970 - Present

Most of the ink sold in Australia is used for finger prints, and beyond Sidney for thumb prints.
Old 29th April 2019, 18:20

I have a Cannon printer, bought for 74 Euros. Found that the ink cartridges cost half that. I packed it away in its box and, later, thought of my grandkids but decided to warn my son beforehand, because he was the one who would have to put his hands in his pocket. He, politely, refused, so it is still in its box waiting for an owner. Its cheaper tp use a copyshop.
Old 1st May 2019, 18:35

My location
I use copy one's no trouble, tried filling my own and got up one morning to a right old mess, they'd leaked everywhere.
Old 2nd May 2019, 15:49

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
I have a Cannon printer, bought for 74 Euros. Found that the ink cartridges cost half that. Its cheaper tp use a copyshop.
I originally bought a Canon Pixma as a colour printer. The cartridges were very small and lasted for no more than twelve pages! Then the print head went south and I dumped it! I then got an Epson L120, predominantly for the kids schoolwork, and I was impressed by the duration of the external tanks.

I won't go near a Canon again!

Rgds.
Dave
Old 2nd May 2019, 18:56
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Remember when ink was just simple Quink or Stephens?
Old 2nd May 2019, 22:44

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
Actually, mine is a Waterman!
Old 3rd May 2019, 01:37

George
Had an Epson printer for over fifteen years bought cheap Chinese ink from the market, same tale no warranty if I continued to use them, like you out of warranty anyway, the only reason I got rid of it was that so much ink had gone down in the well i couldn't clean, it smudges all over the printing. When I bought it the printer was cheaper than the ink replacement .
Tugger
Old 4th May 2019, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
I originally bought a Canon Pixma as a colour printer. The cartridges were very small and lasted for no more than twelve pages! Then the print head went south and I dumped it! I then got an Epson L120, predominantly for the kids schoolwork, and I was impressed by the duration of the external tanks.

I won't go near a Canon again!

Rgds.
Dave
Yes, the time factor is another factor but I'm off home printers altogether.

I don't do enough paper work to merit getting another. Canon has a name in cameras but they abuse it because people take the name on trust.
Old 4th May 2019, 21:39
Active: 1966 - 1983

I've had a heap of printers over the past 20 years, the "home" market is awash with unreliable, relatively cheap junk from the so-called quality manufacturers.

About 5 years ago I was advised to purchase Dell branded m/cs. They are made for Dell by HP. Never had any issues with 3 office m/cs either.

Buy cheap - pay dearly.

BW

J
Old 4th May 2019, 22:21
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post

How about Parker Arrow.
Old 4th May 2019, 23:56
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

One of the school honours in my day was to be made "Ink monitor".
Ink was supplied as a powder and had to be mixed with an exacting amount of water before being poured into the porcelain ink wells recessed into each desk top . A big step forward when you progressed from pencil to pen nib .

Bob
Old 5th May 2019, 03:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Ink was supplied as a powder and had to be mixed with an exacting amount of water before being poured into the porcelain ink wells recessed into each desk top . A big step forward when you progressed from pencil to pen nib .

Bob
Those were the days .................

Some kids used to drink the ink at my school. !!!!

Other problems were the bureaucracy was unable to match the size of the holes in the desk with the diameter of the inkwell and many barely stuck in the holes by more than a few mm. (Obviously an engineering problem).

Later, some clown bought hard plastic wells (Bakelite ??) which after a while the prodding pen nibs punctured the well and let the ink into the desk all over everything. (Obviously an accountant's choice).
Old 5th May 2019, 09:55
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1951 - 2010

My location
Hi, the people I get the ink from for a Canon MX printer has a deal whereby he will stand with his products against the manufacturer. I have been using his inks for many years now both with Canon and Epson and they have been faultless.

From a 'friend' of mine who states:

A manufacturer is legally required to give a 1-year guarantee on electrical products. They cannot have anti-competitive terms here.

If your printer was purchased within 12 months, the supplier has to PROVE that the third party cartridges caused the fault with the printer. They cannot just state “you used a compatible, we’re not helping”. Read your warranty and bring their attention to the details, likely in the form of “warranty does not apply if damage is caused by non-original products”.

They should arrange an engineer visit to determine the fault and what caused it. If it’s the printer fault, great, they’ll sort it. If it is the cartridges then your supplier guarantee will cover it.

Regards
Old 5th May 2019, 10:25
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
I bought a Epson SX125 with ink carts at a car boot sale about 5 years ago for £5 (yes £5), and I have been using compatible inks ever since, I ordered my last inks from ebay 12 carts for £7.99 about a month ago. I think that it is a matter of some you win some you loose.

Cheers Frank
Old 12th May 2019, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

Bob
Didn't you find several pots stuffed with blotting paper? I can remember a classmate, who had family in the States, proudly producing the first Biro that I had seen, towards the end of the war.

However, they didn't beat a fountain pen, for many years, which was the posh thing to have. Royal Sovereign (the cheapie), Parker, Swan....

It's odd how these threads bring back forgotten memories.