Wallasey Belle - Ships Nostalgia
03:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Wallasey Belle

User Tag List

Old 9th December 2009, 18:23

Wallasey Belle

Does anybody have any information concerning what I believe was an ex air sea rescue launch that was used on the Mersey as a passenger ferry after WWII.

I remember the craft bobbing about all over the place when it was anything but calm. I think I am right saying she was then named "Wallasey Belle".
I would like to trace the history of this vessel.
All contribution welcome with thanks.

Graysonlad
Old 9th December 2009, 18:50

Graysonlad,
I remember the Wallasey Belle, and there is a very comprehensive website at this link which gives lots of information about her and a photo of her in the Mersey off Alfred Locks;
http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/DorsetBelles.html
You need to scroll down the page a good way to find her amongst all the other 'Belles'
Regards,
Pat
Old 10th December 2009, 08:44

Wallasey Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Graysonlad,
I remember the Wallasey Belle, and there is a very comprehensive website at this link which gives lots of information about her and a photo of her in the Mersey off Alfred Locks;
http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/DorsetBelles.html
You need to scroll down the page a good way to find her amongst all the other 'Belles'
Regards,
Pat
Thanks for that Pat. Very interesting.

Graysonlad
Old 11th December 2009, 17:01
Organisation: Tugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonlad View Post
Does anybody have any information concerning what I believe was an ex air sea rescue launch that was used on the Mersey as a passenger ferry after WWII.

I remember the craft bobbing about all over the place when it was anything but calm. I think I am right saying she was then named "Wallasey Belle".
I would like to trace the history of this vessel.
All contribution welcome with thanks.

Graysonlad
The WALLASEY BELLE was bought by Wallasey Ferries in 1949 with a view to making economies on the night and off peak services, however it was a financial disater and she was laid up in 1950 and later sold in 1953.
She was built in 1944 of wood by Johnson & Jago of Leigh on Sea.
She carried 250 passengers and was bought for 14,500/- Later sold for 1,250/- to Torquay.
Info from Mersey Ferries Volume 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tug588.jpg (87.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 15th March 2010, 18:06

She was a WW2 R.N. Fairmile B Type launch. Converted 1948 by Bolson's of Poole. 112' length; 126grt. Named Channel Belle for services from Bournemouth. Sold Wallasey Corporation Nov 1949. Reported sold to Australian owners Nov 1953. Renamed Channel Belle. Some doubt as to whether she ever undertook voyage to Australia. Does anyone know details of her subsequent fate?
Old 22nd December 2013, 09:48

Apparently she reverted to the name Channel Belle and never made it to Australia. The following appeared on 25 November 1954 in the Australian newspaper "Canberra Times".

Quote:
"Stranded" Crew On Way Home

LONDON, Wednesday.

More than half the "stranded" crew of the 98 ton former pleasure boat, Channel Belle, will have secured a passage to Australia before the end of December following the cancellation of their projected 10,200-mile sea journey from Torquay to Fremantle.

Originally 11 young Australians -two girls and nine men-and a Canadian, Miss Jean McCormick, were to undertake the trip in the Channel Belle, but the vessel was found to be unseaworthy.

When the trip was cancelled more of the 12 young Australian students and holidaymakers found themselves without sufficient money left to travel home and were temporarily stranded and forced to live off the ship's stores.

Since then all but four Australians and the Canadian girl have either left the Channel Belle and are on their way home or have their passages assured and are merely waiting at Torquay for sailing dates.

One of the men, Ronald Stone, 20, of Sydney, left by air on Sunday, and Ian McNeil, 22, of Melbourne, needs only an American visa before he flies via America.