Name this BB / hello from SoulRaver - Ships Nostalgia
03:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Name this BB / hello from SoulRaver

User Tag List

Old 24th May 2007, 08:58

Name this BB / hello from SoulRaver

Hi,

Long story short, was on Google maps looking at the 'mothball' fleets picking my brain ID'n the hulls and I ran across this one:

39° 89' - 75° 18'

It's a BB class for sure, and I first thought it had to be an Iowa; 3 main triple turrets. However this one has the ol 40mm AAA turrets still in place and none of the Iowa-class retrofits (Tomahawk launchers, etc.). All the Iowas got them right?

And She seems a tad sleeker on on the overall beam.

So who is She?

Edit: Drats... just noticed that I posted in the wrong category, soz about that. Feel free to move me to "U.S. Navy" Admin

Last edited by SoulRaver; 24th May 2007 at 09:02..
Old 24th May 2007, 10:01

Sorry its not a BB - it is the heavy cruiser USS Des Moines, (CA-134), at the US Navy Breakers Yard near Philidelphia, this ship is no longer there it has been towed to Texas for scrapping. Have a look on Google Earth and there is a thread about it - or check here for some photos of here alongside.

" For those in peril of the sea ......."
Old 24th May 2007, 10:33

Cheers m8,

Good thing I didn't place that wager with my buddies! LOL. Those 40mm way aft and the one 5" above main turret #2 got me so sure of a BB, tho those line where a tad slim.

Thx again

Last edited by SoulRaver; 24th May 2007 at 10:35..
Old 24th May 2007, 18:46
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Soulraver and welcome to the site of SN. Enjoy the experience and bon voyage.
Old 25th May 2007, 05:40
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Welcome

SoulRaver,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership.

Good to see that you have already had your first query answered.
Keep 'em coming - it's not often our members are beaten!
Old 1st June 2007, 19:37

My location
Definitely not a BB - no BB ever had twin 5" C38's on the Centre line, from the design and position of the ship this is the Daisy Mae (Des Moines), an easy mistake given the size of the DM class, they were 717 feet long by 77 wide, an Iowa was 887 by 108 - not a great difference
Old 20th June 2010, 06:20

'Iowa' class Battle-ships

During the 1970's or '80's, perhaps even earlier, one of this class suffered a breech explosion in one of the main turrets, (No 2/ 'B' turret. ?) resulting in several fatalities.
While the turret innards were repaired, the gun in question was never repaired, or replaced, thus reducing the main armament down to eight effective pieces, while maintaining the appearance of nine.
The ship was not the 'Missouri' and I dont think it was 'New Jersey' either, so that only leaves 'Iowa' and 'Wisconsin' and I'm inclined towards the 'Iowa'. Now which is it ?. Help !

Last edited by Abbeywood.; 20th June 2010 at 10:06..
Old 20th June 2010, 08:33

My location
Think it was the Iowa , early '80's.
US navy first thought that Hartwig was to blame but although correct cause of the explosion was never really determined , an over ram of the powder bags was most
likely cause.
Old 20th June 2010, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post
Think it was the Iowa , early '80's.
US navy first thought that Hartwig was to blame but although correct cause of the explosion was never really determined , an over ram of the powder bags was most
likely cause.
Thanks be to JC, jnr.
Abbeywood
Old 4th July 2010, 05:47
Organisation: Coastguard
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - 1996

The ship in the photo is not a BB, but instead it's a Newport Class LST. As to the name i do not know.

Regrads
Dave
Old 9th July 2010, 13:28

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesdream View Post
The ship in the photo is not a BB, but instead it's a Newport Class LST. As to the name i do not know.

Regrads
Dave
You're right about it being one of the Newport-class LSTs. They're the only Navy ships that have that peculiar arrangement of twin bowsprits projecting way out over the bow. They were used to pull out and support the embarkation ramp.
Old 10th July 2010, 13:29

BB-60 Alabama.

During the Hurricanes, (Katrina & Rita), of recent past, the 'Alabama', then operating as a floating museum at Mobile, AL., broke adrift from her moorings and suffered damage, I think, from striking the 'Gato' class submarine 'Drum', (SS 228) which also formed psrt of the exhibition centre. Further, the BB also, I'm led to believe, took the ground.
Can any knowledgeable 'chappie' throw any light on the present status of each/either of these ships.
Old 12th August 2010, 05:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeywood. View Post
During the 1970's or '80's, perhaps even earlier, one of this class suffered a breech explosion in one of the main turrets, (No 2/ 'B' turret. ?) resulting in several fatalities.
While the turret innards were repaired, the gun in question was never repaired, or replaced, thus reducing the main armament down to eight effective pieces, while maintaining the appearance of nine.
The ship was not the 'Missouri' and I dont think it was 'New Jersey' either, so that only leaves 'Iowa' and 'Wisconsin' and I'm inclined towards the 'Iowa'. Now which is it ?. Help !
The ship was USS Iowa and the turret explosion in Turret II occurred on April 19, 1989. 47 people were killed. The true cause has never been found.

The gun itself was undamaged and the turret was partially repaired. When she was in Cat B all necessary equipment to complete repairs were stored in Turret II. Not sure about that now that she's in Cat X.

Finally, the partial repair of turret 2 was sufficient that all 3 guns could be fired in full manual local mode. This was never done, and Turret II was never used post explosion.

Last edited by Captain J; 12th August 2010 at 05:04..
Old 12th August 2010, 05:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeywood. View Post
During the Hurricanes, (Katrina & Rita), of recent past, the 'Alabama', then operating as a floating museum at Mobile, AL., broke adrift from her moorings and suffered damage, I think, from striking the 'Gato' class submarine 'Drum', (SS 228) which also formed psrt of the exhibition centre. Further, the BB also, I'm led to believe, took the ground.
Can any knowledgeable 'chappie' throw any light on the present status of each/either of these ships.
Nope, she did not break her moorings. She did develop a slight list, which IIRC has since been corrected. AFAIK no significant damage occurred to any of the naval ships/subs.
Old 12th August 2010, 09:41
Organisation: Royal Navy

Welcome on board, Captain J, and many thanks for bringing us up to date on these two interesting matters.

Jack
Old 13th August 2010, 04:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
Welcome on board, Captain J, and many thanks for bringing us up to date on these two interesting matters.

Jack
Thanks. I joined a couple of years ago, just never posted. Anyway cheers.
Old 13th August 2010, 14:30
Organisation: Royal Navy

Captain J

Your first post was worth waiting for so don't keep us waiting so long for the next one!

Jack
Old 15th August 2010, 05:47

Captain J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post
Nope, she did not break her moorings. She did develop a slight list, which IIRC has since been corrected. AFAIK no significant damage occurred to any of the naval ships/subs.
Greetings and many thanks for bring me up to date, (postings 13/14).
Flying the US flag you should prove a valuable source of information from the former 'colony', on matters nautical.
I look forward to further contributions from your good self, now that you have broken your self-imposed posting ban.
All the very best, Abbeywood.